Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Poultry and Livestock: Pictures of Cornish Hen chicks?

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 4, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
estrail1rider
Melfa, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2012
3:42 AM

Post #9112286

I am supposed to have at least 3 chicks in my menagerie but can't identify them. I can find lots of photos of chickens but not many of chicks. Mine are old enough to have wing feathers and some of the other feathers are growing in, too. Does anyone have any photos so maybe I can figure out which they are?
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9112436

You'll need to scroll to the bottom, but maybe this will help :)

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Cornish/BRKCornish.html#CornChix
estrail1rider
Melfa, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2012
4:31 AM

Post #9113613

Have seen that site. I can't tell by the stockiness of the legs as I have a couple of other breeds at this age that also look stocky. I can rather tell by the wing patterns but would like to see better from the sides. Mine are just beginning to get feathers on their backs.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2012
4:37 AM

Post #9113618

For me that's the hardest time to figure out what they'll look like as adults. I can find pictures of hatchlings and adults, but not many in between. I have some mixed chicks that looked like they would grow up to be black when they hatched, but now there are white, blue and mixed feathers showing. Guess I'll find out *g*. I checked the Chicken Calculator with the possible parents, but they don't list white crested birds, so no idea if that's a factor.

Hope you can figure it out. I remember vaguely that my Dark Cornish Chicks had a distinctive "stance", but can't think how to describe it...
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

May 7, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9114784

Thanks for the site Cat. They are just lovely. I don't know how I got this way, but I just love chickens.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America