Photo by Melody

Article: Alstroemeria: Exotic Peruvian lilies make themselves at home in your garden: Alstroemeria in a California garden

Communities > Forums > Article: Alstroemeria: Exotic Peruvian lilies make themselves at home in your garden
bookmark
Forum: Article: Alstroemeria: Exotic Peruvian lilies make themselves at home in your gardenReplies: 1, Views: 22
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Don_Fitch
Covina, CA

May 7, 2012
4:01 AM

Post #9113582

Southern California, on the edge of Los Angeles, that is.

One variety has been a bit invasive, to the point I sometimes use the (you should excuse the expression) four-letter word "weed" to describe it. Very pretty weed, but I sometimes wish I'd used greater vigilance in either pulling out the stems before the seeds ripened, or pulling up seedlings the following year.

I note that most of the varieties/cultivars I'm growing tend to go dormant to the ground, or at least stop blooming, during both the hottest and the coldest month or so of the year, but have two periods when the masses of flowers are quite reliable. Also, some varieties appear to resent root disturbance, and may sulk for a year or two before getting established.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9113843

I appreciate your experience notes about this plant (despite your 'foul ' language, tee hee ). Thanks for reading and commenting!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Alstroemeria: Exotic Peruvian lilies make themselves at home in your garden Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Alstroemeria in my north Florida garden. JaxFlaGardener 1 May 3, 2012 7:25 PM
Beware of what success brings degger 1 May 8, 2012 5:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America