Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: Pinching back annuals and perennials?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 3, Views: 66
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
PAgirl60
Tobyhanna, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9113718

Generally, will pinching back most annuals and perennials in their early growing stages make them sturdier and bushier plants?

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9114451

Pa... yes, normally. Just becareful if growing from seed, do the pinching after the first set of true leaves. Can I ask, what 's ya wanna pinch? Also when your plants begin blooming make sure to deadhead, this can (depending on the plant) give you 2 extra branches to get blooms from the whole season.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

PAgirl60
Tobyhanna, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9114879

Hi WWKathy,

I am growing annual baby's breath (started from seed and now have 2 pairs true leaves) that I would like to see grow into less spindly plants. I grew them 2 years ago and they were tall and spindly and seemed to flop all over the place. I had grown calendula too, and they were the same way. Can I pinch? :>)
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

May 14, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #9123444

I dont pinch out till there has been a few inches of growth as if done too early you might find the plant just dies from shock and has not enough energy to regrow side shoots if done at true leaf stage, I have friends who dont pinch out till the plants are ready / hardy enough to be set out into the planting area, as they set the plants in there planting hole they pinch each plant out, add a handfull of general multi purpose feed or fish/blood/bonemeal to the soil when prepared for planting and this will feed the plants for the best part of the summer, hope this help, good luck, WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America