Photo by Melody

Article: Garden Myths Busted: Beer, Corn and Rubber: Appreciate the clay-sand info!

Communities > Forums > Article: Garden Myths Busted: Beer, Corn and Rubber
bookmark
Forum: Article: Garden Myths Busted: Beer, Corn and RubberReplies: 3, Views: 23
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LeeInIowa
Des Moines, IA

May 7, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #9113806

I always figured that had to be a myth, because clay mixed with sand (and straw) was...bricks!

As for the rubber mulch, I hope no one has used it near their food plants, because leafy greens will grab those heavy metals and you'll wind up with them in your salad bowl.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

May 7, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9114619

Oh dear!
Since it is clay soil and blueberries don't like clay soil - I added peat moss to the area and tilled it in, planted my blueberries, put down the straw.
Then my husband got me a couple of bags of sand to start my sweet potatoes in and when I finished I just threw the sand down right on top of the straw around the blue berries. So if it is in a layermaybe that is different than mixing it together?

I am sure what the word edjust or aedjust what was that word?
What was meant by that?
TexasTam
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9114632

Thanks for spreading the word about clay soil. Here in Texas, we add what's called expanded shale (sort of like turkey grit) along with compost, to loosen our Black Gumbo clay soil. Works great at getting oxygen into those tightly-packing soil particles.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

May 8, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9116472

I just read another blog here on this excellent article, that said they removed the heavy metals before selling it as mulch?
How would you ever know?

And did you all read about gyspum. I wonder if I add that to the soil around blueberries. How much is gyspum anyway?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Garden Myths Busted: Beer, Corn and Rubber Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Good advice Cville_Gardener 0 May 7, 2012 2:56 AM
slugs and stuff jazzy1okc 0 May 7, 2012 4:18 AM
Paul's work is much appreciated GardenRiot 2 May 7, 2012 5:12 PM
Spot on! poisondartfrog 0 May 7, 2012 4:22 AM
Thanks! Mike2147 0 May 7, 2012 4:25 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America