Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Pecan Tree Maybe

Communities > Forums > Trees, Shrubs and Conifers
bookmark
Forum: Trees, Shrubs and ConifersReplies: 8, Views: 55
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

May 7, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9113969

My son-in-law gave me this tree he said he thought it was a pecan tree. Can someone id this for me

Thanks Sami

Thumbnail by Sami   Thumbnail by Sami
Click an image for an enlarged view.

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2012
9:11 PM

Post #9115050

Not for sure what it IS, but I know what it ISN'T.

That's not a Pecan. Pecan has pinnately compound foliage. Your plant has simple foliage.
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9115300

I did look up Pecan trees and notice that the foilage was different. So will wait see if someone knows what this is. Where is Scott County Ky. My brothers live in Paducah. We try to go every year to visit but have not been in almost 2 years now. I am taking care of an elderly lady and dont get to go much of anywhere now. She is 91 years old.

Sami

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2012
9:19 AM

Post #9115716

Scott County is just north of Lexington on I-75. Paducah is clear out in western KY, about 4-5 hours drive.

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

May 8, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9115756

Just a thought - Willow Oak (Quercus phellos) http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53594/
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9116050

The folilage really looks like what I have. The tree man at the nursery thought it was a wax myrtle. He said if I scratch it and it smells like a bayberry then it probable was. I did that and it does not smell like baberry to me

Sami
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9116068

Verburnum miy sister lived near Lexington Ky a few years back. She lived in a close to the town that just got hit with that tornado. I cant remember the name of the town at the moment. Oh yes now I remember It was West Liberty. A really neat little town. She lived in the county up in the mountains. If it snowed we were stuck because the road was really narrow and not drivable. Straight down on its side of the roads. I really hated driving on it.

Sami

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9116544

Yes - where I live is pretty flat compared to West Liberty, which is in a valley in the foothills of the Appalachians. That tornado back in March was a real knockout punch. There is an awful lot of rebuilding yet to do there.

I could buy into the Myrtle idea there, especially with the stemminess. Maybe you could snip one of those stems off, and photo close on some of the leaf scars from past years, and the bark, etc.
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

May 9, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9116889

Good idea it is raining here today and soon as I get a chance to get out there will do that

thanks Sami

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Trees, Shrubs and Conifers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sambucus nigra 'Black Beauty' evelyn_inthegar 59 Apr 10, 2010 5:27 PM
Mulberry ellenann 8 Mar 29, 2008 2:04 PM
Styrax japonica 'Pink Chimes' rcn48 10 Jun 10, 2008 9:58 AM
Which Trees don't root? Kim_M 37 Aug 26, 2009 6:21 PM
Transplanting sassafrass seedling Rikkashay 14 Jul 13, 2009 12:25 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America