Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Poultry and Livestock: Crest questions?

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 10, Views: 48
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9115401

Some of you may remember that I moved a Silver Phoenix hen and 16 eggs in an effort to save them from becoming dinner.

Well, she did very well. 11 out of 16 are currently running about. When hatched, one was clearly an intruder (and there had been one egg that appeared to be "different"). That one is Polish, either black or blue (I think). The others all looked the same, and appear to be destined to grow up to be black chickens. There are now some feathers that are turning, but I still think black will be the end result.

Now the question. The little Polish was born with his/her creat, as I've seen many times. The others were smooth headed. Now they are developing tiny topknots. Really small, the largest is less than 1/4 inch across. Color matches the head. I just noticed last night, but will keep and eye on them.

Anyone even had PolishX chicks? I've been googling without much luck for info on crest dominance, but will keep looking. Since they are half Phoenix, there's also the long feather gene to consider.

Thay are very cute :)
porkpal
Richmond, TX

May 8, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9115419

I can be of no help, but I'd love to see pictures anyway.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #9115447

*G* I'll keep trying. So far I have several empty frames...
smedgekles
Conroe, TX

May 9, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9116892

We have a Polish Silkie mix. Both of those breeds have crests, so yes, the hen has a crest and is beautiful and currently sitting on 4 duck eggs so she inherited the Silkie broodiness.
And, one of the babies that recently hatched that I posted a week or so ago that we thought was a Silkie turns out is not. (no wonder it has no crest) As it feathers we have discovered it looks a lot like the Polish Silkie mix did when she was a baby, so we are guessing when my husband grabbed the Silkie eggs to put under the hen he accidentally grabbed one wrong egg since her eggs are smaller like Silkie eggs. However, the Polish Silkie did not have a crest as a baby either and later developed it, but it is more like a Polish crest not a Silkie crest and she has a comb and wattles. She does have feathered feet as does this new baby. The father though of the new baby would not be a Sikie as the Polish Silkie hen is not with the Silkies.

Hope all that makes sense. :)

Anyway, this is a closeup picture of her taken a year or so ago. I'll see if I have a full picture as she really has beautiful coloring and plumage.

Thumbnail by smedgekles
Click the image for an enlarged view.

catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2012
7:20 AM

Post #9117015

How very cool!! Thank you :)

Her comb is awesome, a combo of the Silkie Walnut and the Polish Devil Horns/

I'm excited..
porkpal
Richmond, TX

May 9, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9117225

What an interesting hen!
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

May 9, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9117238

I was just going to ask what kind of comb that was. Hope you find some more pictures of her.
smedgekles
Conroe, TX

May 9, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9117527

Here is a picture of her when she was a baby, still looking for one of her all grown up and larger than just a head picture.

Thumbnail by smedgekles

catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #9118194

Thanks, Smedgekles :) I think I see the same little "bump" that my littlies have...
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

May 10, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9118949

She's beautiful.
smedgekles
Conroe, TX

May 10, 2012
7:56 PM

Post #9119294

Okay, this is the only picture I could find that is more recent although it is from last year when she hatched babies. This is her in a nest and you can see the baby peaking out. Wish I could find one of her standing, she has a very upright tail, not rounded like the Silkies and her coloring doesn't show up well in this picture. I'd take a picture of her now, but she is on a nest on duck eggs that have a week to go.

Thumbnail by smedgekles

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America