Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: Tomato flowers not setting fruit. Why?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 4, Views: 135
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
GreeneLady
Oak Island, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 8, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9115913

I have some beautiful heirloom tomato plants in my garden, all different varieties. They look beautiful and have nice blossoms, but the blossoms won't set into fruit. In fact, I don't even see any pollen on any of the flowers or when I brushed up against them. My plants are sucker free, and I've only fertilized them twice with Peters tomato food. What's going on?

Can anyone help? Thanks!

Thumbnail by GreeneLady   Thumbnail by GreeneLady   Thumbnail by GreeneLady
Click an image for an enlarged view.

gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2012
12:00 PM

Post #9115924

Has it been hot, cold, rainy? Weather affects pollination. It sometimes helps to go out and lightly brush the flower stems with you hand. Tomatoes self pollinate for the most part but if it's too hot the pollen gets too sticky to drop down or other weather factors can make it difficult for the flower to pollinate. I'm sure more expert southern growers can give you some hints. Your plants should pollinate in time.

This message was edited May 8, 2012 10:52 PM

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 8, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9116486

Give your plants a good shake everyday. That may help the pollination. Also, are the blooms dropping off or just no evidence of tomatoes.

David
tarheel2az
Tonto Basin, AZ

May 9, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9117889

Patience, grasshopper.
GreeneLady
Oak Island, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 15, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9124883

The shaking seemed to work! I googled the shaking thing and found someone who said they use an electric toothbrush to vibrate the plant flowers.

I tried that and I now have 8 little baby tomato fruits on Aunt Ginny's Purple, Giant Belgium, and Abe Lincoln.

Amazing wonders! Thanks for the tips, folks!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America