Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Which vegetables grow well in sandy Soil ?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 4, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Canada60
Maple, ON

May 8, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9116099

Hi The east Side of my garden is mostly sand .the rest of it is dark beautiful soil .also the sandy side gets sun in the afternoon.
Cearbhaill
Russell, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 9, 2012
4:12 AM

Post #9116776

If it is "mostly sand" you will need to amend- get busy adding organic matter.
Have you started your compost pile yet?
Because it's gonna be your new best friend!
bobberman
Latrobe, PA

May 9, 2012
9:48 PM

Post #9118018

Vine crops seem to grow good in sandy soil! Mix some strained clay with the sandy soil!
Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 12, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #9120999

I have had good luck with melons in the past. Not sure if they grow well in Canada though.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

May 12, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9121279

I cant think of many veg that will grow well in mostly sandy soil, as mentiond earlier, you will need to add plenty of organic matter like animal manure, home made compost or even add a few bags of shop purchased compost (not top soil) along with this, add some fish/blood/bonemeal to the new adition soil as this will help feed the growing plants as a slow releace feed.
Thing like carrots, beetroot, parsnips, and most other root veg do well in sandy soil once organic matter had been adde.d to help hold onto added feeds and moistures, for best results on sandy soil, when you make the seed drills along the soil for planting seeds, it is a good idea to use the hosepipe and really soak these drills then add the seeds, this helps germination. Also grow lots of salad stuff too as these are fast growing like a few lettuce seeds will be ready to cut in about 8 weeks or sooner depending how tender you want the lettuce to be, I would not grow ant veg plants that need good firm ground like cabbages or sprouts ect as the sandy soil wont hold the nutrients and water as well as heavier soil does but, over the years as you continue to add more organic stuff to the sandy soil, the bed /ground will eventually get more fertile, hope this helps you out a bit. WeeNel

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America