Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Vegetables: Can squash and cucumbers cross polinate?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 2, Views: 40
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
couponcook
Wilmer, AL

May 8, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9116237

I have the craziest thing happening in my garden today. I'd love to know if anyone can tell me whats happened. What to call this thing, and maybe even how to eat it.

I planted 3 things in my garden in roughly 3 rows. Green straight zucchini, crook neck yellow squash, and pickling cucumbers. I've had plenty of tiny little bees busy for a week or so on all the pretty flowers.

I found today what looks like an acorn squash. But I didn't plant acorn squash, I only planted what is listed above. this thing is probably 5 inches across. I've also found half a dozen other things that look like acorn squash. And here is where I'm really confused. My "crook neck " squash are all growing beautifully into what looks like little tiny yellow pumpkins. You know the miniature kind of pumpkin that you buy at the local mega lo mart in October. Only they are yellow squash...I think. At least that's what they are supposed to be.

I decided to cut it open the largest fruit, which is the thing which looks like an acorn squash. Inside it has flesh just like a zucchini, and tiny soft seeds that are just beginning to form. It slices up very soft, not hard like acorn squashes can be. And raw it tastes like a cucumber. Honestly I don't know what to do with it. Its too sweet and soft to pickle. It probably won't taste good with butter or in a stew. This is the first year I've really really tried hard to grow anything. Did I get sold a mislabeled seed packet maybe? Do I have some seriously crazy cross pollination going on? Or some sort of soil problem? Any help would be appreciated. including what to do with the thing. Thanks!
GreeneLady
Oak Island, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 8, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9116258

Yes, It sounds to me like You got some seeds that were crossed pollinated and the result...well it's what is growing in your garden ;) But the cross pollination would have occurred last season in the seed source's garden, not this season in your garden.

I would make sure you purchase seeds from a reputable seller, preferably someone who will give you a replacement if you don't what you asked for. Take a look through the Garden Watchdog here on DG. There are tons of seed sellers who have been reviewed by DG's users. Check it out!

In the meantime, if you are in Alabama, you should still have time to plant more squash plants and get them to produce before the growing season ends. Just don't wait too much longer.

Good luck!
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 8, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9116387

For the record squash and cucumbers do not cross pollinate at all. You have mislabeled or mixed seeds as GreeneLady said. Immature acorns are edible and are used as zucchini substitutes . Not quite as flavorful tho. There are round yellow summer squash, One Ball and Floridor for example. If you bought seeds, they should have a variety name. If you traded, all bets are off.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America