Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Perennials: Perennial Vine for Retaining Wall

Communities > Forums > Perennials
bookmark
Forum: PerennialsReplies: 5, Views: 84
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
monkeeluv6
Conshohocken, PA

May 8, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9116532

Hi!

I’ve got a hideous 6-foot retaining wall running along the entire front of my property. This things needs greenery on it, stat!

The area between the house and the retaining wall is very narrow—about three feet. My husband, understandably, would prefer not to have plants taking up any of the limited lawn space, so I don’t want to plant anything to cascade over the wall.

So, vines creeping up is the answer! Problem is, the retaining wall butts up right against the road—so there’s no dirt for me to plant at the bottom and have greenery creep “up.”

I'm stuck.

I know that plant life can exist in between the blocks of the wall—I’m occasionally pulling weeds. Plus, scant, yet tenacious, shoots of ragweed shoot up occasionally between the wall and the road.
I believe there is gravel between each block, and a bit of soil perhaps. Can anything grow in these rocky spaces without out much nutritional soil?

I was hoping to grow Vinca Minor, but I’m unsure if that will work.

Any ideas?

PS I've attached a picture so you can get an idea. The picture cuts off the 'wall meets road' portion, but know that I took the picture while standing on the road--so you get the idea!

Thumbnail by monkeeluv6
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

May 9, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9117520

I've seen climbing hydrangea used to help cover a retaining wall. Bonus is that you'll get flowers. But I'm not sure how much dryness it can take.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 9, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9117672

I think climbing hydrangeas are very tough once they get going. This one was totally neglected for decades-- see the Azalea it swamped still bravely blooming? I was thinking maybe you could plant it in a far corner of the yard, only using a little piece of the lawn, and train it down and across the wall. That way it would have a decent home for its roots, but in my experience it can cover a lot of territory.

Wisteria could work the same way.

Good luck!

Pam

Thumbnail by Pfg
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

May 10, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #9118396

Wonder if you could plant one at either end of the wall - the vines could cover it in half the time. Even in my shade here, the foliage can get quite dense and it does grow rather quickly. Unfortunately, due to my shade, it's never bloomed but the leaves look nice all growing season.
monkeeluv6
Conshohocken, PA

May 10, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9118403

Oh! I didn't even know that there was a type of hydrangea that could climb! Thanks for the tip!

Also, Pfg, I didn't even think of planting something in a corner and training it. Brilliant! I think I'll go research even more options of aggressive (but, hopefully) pretty vines!

Thanks!
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 10, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9118409

There's also Silver Lace, not as dense, but just as tough... Maybe even a Jackmanii clematis?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Campanula Wonder Bells Blue Gloriaglolms 37 Apr 11, 2009 4:28 PM
Oriental Poppy Pops! Weezingreens 34 Jun 27, 2010 6:36 AM
BLUE FLOWERS Lori_Illinois 62 May 4, 2010 4:09 PM
Triple Roadside/Ditch lily OhioBreezy 21 Jul 9, 2011 6:56 PM
what are you sorry you planted.. thehumblebumble 279 Aug 12, 2012 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America