Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Tomatoes: Another question

Communities > Forums > Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: TomatoesReplies: 4, Views: 69
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2012
4:12 AM

Post #9116774

I am planning to mulch my tomatoes with barley straw, I have a whole bale, (we use it in the pond to keep string algae at bay), I am wondering if it will have any effect on the tomatoes? I have never used mulch on the tomatoes, and I figures that it would make gardening easier. Am I right?????????
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

May 9, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #9116809

Mulch is used to suppress weeds, hold moisture in the soil, and keep it cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Weeds would be the most useful one to me.

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9116896

I always mulch my tomatoes with straw. It prevents heavy rain form splashing soil onto the lower leaves and helps to prevent fungal diseases as well as deter weeds and conserve moisture.
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9116950

I plant my tomatoes in the straw bales and they flourish! Straw is great for many things in the garden. It has really helped to recondition my soil!
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

May 10, 2012
4:44 AM

Post #9118159

Paul, mulching with straw does help prevent splashback infection from any spores and bacteria that were shed the previous year by infected plants.

But all NEW foliage infections are spread via wind and rain so mulching can do nothing to prevent those. One can prevent the fungal ones fairly easily with the best anti-fungal but what we have available to us to prevent the NEW bacterial ones are not all that effective.

Carolyn

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America