Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: Squash blooms

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 9, Views: 115
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Kitley
Houston, TX

May 9, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9117545

There is something that is cutting the blooms off of me yellow & zucchini squash. I've never seen it but I would like to know how to stop it so that I can actually get some squash to eat! Any ideas?

Thanks
sarataylor5
Ocala, FL

May 11, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9119831

hi there,
I thought that too...heres what i found out!

There are male flowers and female flowers. THe male flowers bloom and only stay open for a day or so and fall off. The female flowers (have a small squash/zuchini behind it) bloom later than the male flowers. So as long as its the male flowers that are falling off...thats normal. =) I am still waiting for my female flowers to start blooming and Ive had several male flowers bloom and fall off already. Hope this helps!

I am now worried that my plants are lacking something because the leaves are funky looking. I attached a pic. If anyone can tell me if this is normal or if I need to tend to it that would be great!

Thumbnail by sarataylor5   Thumbnail by sarataylor5
Click an image for an enlarged view.

yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9119841

sarataylor,
the leaves look fine to me. Thats how mine look every year. Few bug holes but not enough to be worried.
Just keep an eye out for squash bugs
sarataylor5
Ocala, FL

May 11, 2012
9:46 AM

Post #9119843

Yes the holes are new...and Im not sure if its from bugs because we just got a down pour a couple days ago and the rain was ripping the leaves, but I will keep an eye out...Thanks for your response! I am glad the leaves are fine. Very excited to see the crop harvested. This is the first year Ive planted in pots and so far so good!
Kitley
Houston, TX

May 12, 2012
12:14 PM

Post #9121087

Thanks for the replies on this. I am not sure which blooms (M or F) are being cut off but the blooms are not just falling they are being literally cut off. It seems as if something was used to create a perfect cut beneath the blooms. The blooms are not touched nor is the plant. There are no bite or chewing marks. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 13, 2012
7:20 AM

Post #9121945

Kitley - your squash will produce many, many male flowers first. These will attract pollinating bees to your garden. Then the female flowers will come along and the bees will transfer pollen from the male to the female flowers.

The flowers are only open for one day, then they fall off. Make your garden "bee friendly" by planting flowers, especially flowering herbs.
Kitley
Houston, TX

May 15, 2012
5:53 AM

Post #9124461

Thanks for this info HoneybeeNC, I will keep it in mind. I still feel that the blooms are being cut off more than just falling off but I'll be on the lookout for squash production regardless!!

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9124642

Kitley - I took a careful look at my male squash blossoms yesterday and can see why you would think yours had been cut off. I'm confident that mine are just dropping off as nature intended.

You may also find that some of your female blooms will drop off. This will probably be due to lack of pollination.

Don't worry - squash usually produces enough fruit for the whole neighborhood to enjoy. :-)
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9125032

I think your leaves are normal, as well. Some varieties show different patterns on their leaves. And I'm with the "patience" group, it doesn't sound as if you've had any female blossoms yet. Here's a guide;

http://forums.organicgardening.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2241078301/m/6311004901

If there are no small fruits behind the blooms, cut them off, and stir fry, or stuff them, or;

http://www.strauscom.com/farmfresh/ffsblos.html
Silvermist
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 9, 2013
3:42 PM

Post #9552605

sarataylor5 wrote:hi there,
I thought that too...heres what i found out!

There are male flowers and female flowers. THe male flowers bloom and only stay open for a day or so and fall off. The female flowers (have a small squash/zuchini behind it) bloom later than the male flowers. So as long as its the male flowers that are falling off...thats normal. =) I am still waiting for my female flowers to start blooming and Ive had several male flowers bloom and fall off already. Hope this helps!

I am now worried that my plants are lacking something because the leaves are funky looking. I attached a pic. If anyone can tell me if this is normal or if I need to tend to it that would be great!

For extra confirmation: your leaves are fine. :) I was worry about mine too, but they are doing great...happy gardening!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America