AuthorContent

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9117737

We came from #94, with the new season excitement.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1249809/

I'm looking forward to a great year.
The Red Admiral population explosion slowed a bit recently, but getting some others.

1 = Painted Lady. I was actually taking a picture of the Iris "Moonlit Sea" when this one plopped down for a picture.
2 = First Monarch of the season in the yard. Yay.
3 = Question Mark. I get more of these than Commas
4 = Eastern Black Swallowtail. Repeat picture, just cuz. I've had 3 of my 8 overwintering BSTs emerge this week.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Click an image for an enlarged view.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9117781

Nice photos, Mrs. Ed. Thanks for the new thread.

A.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

May 9, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9117783

So lovely Marna!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9117800

Agreed, so very lovely Marna, thanks.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 9, 2012
9:51 PM

Post #9118019

Yep, it was indeed time to start a new one, thanks Marna. Love the shots you offered for us.

We have enjoyed a lot of butterflies so far this year, so glad to see after the poor counts last year around here. The American Ladies, Varg. Frits, Mourning Cloaks, Q Marks, and especially Red Admirals were very active up until last week. This week the Pipevines and finally the Black Swallowtails are showing up nicely. Monarchs have been drifting in and out for weeks at the most I have seen four at a time in my yard...so many more that spring last year!!
Too tired to show pictures...night all.

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 10, 2012
5:17 AM

Post #9118192

Nice pictures! I have still not seen a BST or GST this year...I was looking at my pictures last year and noticed several around this time. I wonder if they were in my yard because of the drought...lack of flowers in the wild made them flock to my house...now that we are coming out of the drought, maybe they have more choices...I don't know. I am happy to see the variety so far.

Hopefully this weekend will be great with some Northerly winds in South Texas.

Russell

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 10, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #9118643

I finally got a Zebra Longwing picture of my own! It was flying through my new butterfly garden and was attracted to the jatropha. I knew they liked it, but this one just kept returning to the jatropha over and over. Makes me wonder how fast plants produce nectar?

It did hit up the porterweed once or twice, much like the Gulf Fritillary in the second picture.

Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 10, 2012
11:30 AM

Post #9118648

I've seen more Painted Ladies this year than ever.

Thumbnail by mellielong
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 10, 2012
11:32 AM

Post #9118651

I always have lots of Duskywings around.

Thumbnail by mellielong

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9118652

Mellie, which Jatropha is that? I tried to grow one from seed - Buddha belly? Didn't work.

I caught a cabbage white laying eggs today on my cleome plants that I had potted up to trade. I guess they won't be going anywhere. Who knew?

Hope you're all enjoying the day. We had heavy rain yesterday, but nice breeze and bright sun drying things out for me.

A.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 10, 2012
11:34 AM

Post #9118654

And there are still tons of Monarchs around since I've been raising them.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 10, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #9118661

Hmm...I don't know what kind of jatropha. It was just sold as jatropha. They become a small tree and as you can see, have light red flowers. I think the Zebra Longwings would like any of them. I notice they like red flowers in general. They love my firebushes, too.

Melanie

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 10, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #9118675

Dad found two more Giant ST cats on the rue! They were pretty small so he must be getting really good at finding them. Always good to have another set of eyes out there!

Melanie

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9118745

I would love just to see a GST in my yard! I had them a couple of years ago, but not since. must have lost a host plant somewhere I guess. I have a small rue though. I keep an eye on it.

Love those longwings.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 10, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9118759

Happy Birthday to Crit!

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 10, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9118944

My Polydamas ST decided to come out during dinner. I hid it under some pipevine so it should have a safe night.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9119201

WOW! It's huge!

Thanks for sharing. :)
jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 10, 2012
11:43 PM

Post #9119385

Silver Spotted Skipper and Eastern Tiger Swallowtails (I think)

Thumbnail by jmorth   Thumbnail by jmorth   Thumbnail by jmorth

debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9119607

Apologies to all about being out of pocket so long. It has been very hard to land at my desk, with all the changes in my life.

Marna good to see you, and your fine pics!

Glad y'all have kept the threads going so well, Marna, Mellie, and Sheila! Mellie, your Dad is awesome!! Hoping to see GSTs soon, I have plenty of Z. clava and some other citrus when they're ready to show up!

I watched a PVST lay LOTS! of eggs over the course of a few days in my back yard. I will attempt to get pics of the babies today, but I have a lot to do.

The school garden looks amazing! The plants have really dug in over the last 3 years, getting established very well.

#1 Pipevine ST Ovipositing
#2 PVST eggs on A. macrophylla bloom stem
#3 G-Fritillaries (no explanation necessary)
#4 5th Instar result of #3
#5 Question Mark

So far it's been an outstanding year for butterflies, still waiting for the usual suspects to show up with great anticipation. :-S...
GTSY all!

Thumbnail by debnes_dfw_tx   Thumbnail by debnes_dfw_tx   Thumbnail by debnes_dfw_tx   Thumbnail by debnes_dfw_tx   Thumbnail by debnes_dfw_tx

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9119665

Welcome back Deb!!!!

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 11, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9119756

Here's a Tiger ST I saw while walking through the swamp today. I also saw numerous Zebra Longwings. They were all nectaring on button bush which is in bloom right now. It's a great butterfly attractor and I've seen it grow as far north as WV; it's also native!

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 11, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #9120022

Duh, I forgot to say great pictures Deb! Love that one of the Pipevine ST ovipositing.

Melanie

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2012
8:07 PM

Post #9120480

Good pictures all!

WTG Dad...that's due to your training Melanie!

Good to see you posting once again Debnes! It was great to see you at RU last month too!
quaqbe
Stirling, NJ
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2012
4:21 AM

Post #9120662

maybe third post is the charm...I am new at these postings . I got from AmandaEsq that this is the new thread...so here is a copy & paste of my last attempt.
" I am so jealous, y'all have such a large selection of B'flies. I try so hard to do plants that attract BF and hummers. Has any one heard of the green sand for a bfy puddle? I got the beer receipe but how about the green sand for elecotrolties and minerals? I have a pond and lost all my frogs last year but the hummers and bflys are already around even though I do not have the varity that y'all seem to have...I guess Jersey is not a prime spot. R there any Jesey growers out there? everyone seems to be from TX or FL or some other nice warm spots."

Help is much appreciated.
The attached pictures are from 2005, haven't had much luck in raising any "cats" since.

Thumbnail by quaqbe   Thumbnail by quaqbe

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 12, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9120730

Quaqbe...posting will seem like old hat soon...welcome! We didn't have hardly any butterflies last year, but this year is abounding...maybe it will be a good year for you up there too.
You say you lost your frogs...are they still in winter mode maybe? Ours here haven't been croaking much so far, weather is still a bit cool at night.
quaqbe
Stirling, NJ
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9120851

No, they are gone...had the spring cleaning done and not a frog was found.
Last year was not a good year for bfys at all, but so far this year I have dozens of the Red Admirals...I guess its their ten year cycle thing, but we still don't hasve much for them to eat so i am making up the "bait" and some green sand for puddling hopefully that will help until there are more flowers out.
Do you have swamp milkweed in your garden? The last year or two mine has gotten some kind of blight and the bfys did not lay any eggs on it at all...hoping this year is better.
LEW_TEX
Cleburne, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 12, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9120902

Crit wrote:
LEW ... I am sooooooooooo jealous of your passion vine!!!! I want one (or more if they come in more colors than purple). I just have to keep looking 'till I can find one. Can you give us pics of the little guys on the vines?

++++++++++
Sorry for delay. Been out of town. Love to share pics of "the little guys." We have 50 to 60 of all sizes right now.

Does anyone have a picture of the GF chrysalis ? I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

LEW

Thumbnail by LEW_TEX   Thumbnail by LEW_TEX   Thumbnail by LEW_TEX   Thumbnail by LEW_TEX   Thumbnail by LEW_TEX

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 12, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9121002

Lew, they look like a dried leaf. Brown and funky looking. The ones I raised inside seemed to wiggle with the breeze. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of them and I have never seen one in the garden. I am not sure where they go. With that many caterpillars, you should find some for sure. Do a search on google images and you will see them. Cool pics!

I saw my first GST today, but it was in a hurry and I couldn't catch up to it for a picture. I will be on the lookout for a return visit.

Russell

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 12, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9121130

Here's a Pipevine ST that wouldn't leave my pentas alone today.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 12, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #9121132

And a skipper I happened to catch on the Spanish Needles.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 12, 2012
3:35 PM

Post #9121250

our 1st eclosure of the year! Hoping for many more, as we are starting to find monarch eggs now.

Thumbnail by BCH521   Thumbnail by BCH521   Thumbnail by BCH521

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 12, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9121256

Here are some pics of Gulf Frit chrysalis. One thing when you go to look for them...don't bother looking on the vines. Unless they are confined they will be 10-15 foot away probably. Then look for a stable structure, most of the time they will crawl up. The last picture is the clearest I have ...the first and second are examples of where they might be and what you are looking for. The curved shape is them moving their bodies to get more sunshine.

BCH...congrats...hope for lots more too.

This message was edited May 12, 2012 4:51 PM

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW   Thumbnail by Sheila_FW   Thumbnail by Sheila_FW

debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 13, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9121912

Thanks for the kind comments and WBs all! And welcome all newbies!!

I had to work today...:-\...

HAPPYMOTHERSDAY! To all the moms here!

Wish I could post pics off my iPhone.

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 13, 2012
11:44 AM

Post #9122203

1. Not the best picture, but I love these! GST
2. A first for me in the yard - White-striped longtail (I think)
3. GF on lantana
4. This one was attacked by something!
5. The Queen doing her thing.

Russell

Thumbnail by yakmon   Thumbnail by yakmon   Thumbnail by yakmon   Thumbnail by yakmon   Thumbnail by yakmon

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 13, 2012
11:50 AM

Post #9122205

Great pictures...looks like a bird missed the sulpher.

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 13, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #9122214

Thanks Sheila. Looks like a perfect bite on the sulphur! Here is another first for my yard.

Question Mark on Lantana.

This message was edited May 13, 2012 2:25 PM

Thumbnail by yakmon

lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

May 13, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9122256

Russell:

I'm envious of that White-Striped Longtail. We had then up in North Texas briefly back in 2007 (which was about the best butterfly year I can remember), so I've kept their host plant, Least Snout Bean (Rhynchosia minima) ready and waiting ever since. And what a great picture of that female Cloudless Sulphur with a beak mark ripped out of the wing!

Dale Clark
Dallas County Lepidopterists' Society
http://www.dallasbutterflies.com
LEW_TEX
Cleburne, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 13, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9122289

Lots of BF activity in our garden today. Please correct me if I get an ID wrong. Still have a lot to learn.

#1 - American Lady
#2 - Checkered White
#3 - Queen
#4 - Many Question Marks - on rotted banana having "happy hour" or actually "happy day" I think. LOL.
#5 - Red Admiral

This message was edited May 13, 2012 2:52 PM

Thumbnail by LEW_TEX   Thumbnail by LEW_TEX   Thumbnail by LEW_TEX   Thumbnail by LEW_TEX   Thumbnail by LEW_TEX

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 13, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9122295

Thanks Dale. It has been a great day for the butterflies. I always seem to have more visitors when the wind is blowing form the North for some reason. DG has been giving me trouble uploading photos today. I have a few more to share, but I haven't had any luck posting them yet. Thanks for the info of the host plant. I saw another longtail last year, but I don't think it was the same variety - possibly Dorantes.

I am going to try another post with the rest of the pictures.

Russell

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 13, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9122299

Wow Lew...here I was excited about 1 Question Mark...LOL. Great shots!

Russell

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 13, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9122339

1. American Lady
2. Longtail from last year Dorantes?
3. Question Mark in flight
4. Hummer on the approach.

Happy Mother's day!

Russell

Thumbnail by yakmon   Thumbnail by yakmon   Thumbnail by yakmon   Thumbnail by yakmon

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 13, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9122373

I'm dismayed somewhat. My MW crop is dwindling in ways I can't explain.

Some (I think are poke from seed last year) are turning yellow. Too much light? :/

Others have been cut to the ground, tops cut or gone completely (rabbits?).

I'm almost afraid to plant anymore out. That reminds me I took a broken top from a poke MW and was going to try to root it. Now back out in the rain to find it!!!

A.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 13, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9122375

LEW, in the picture of the Question Marks, you have a different kind of butterfly on the table. It reminds me of a Southern Pearly Eye I once saw, but I don't know what kind of butterflies you get in your area.

Russell, I hope you enter photo contests - that hummingbird photo is great!

Melanie

This message was edited May 13, 2012 6:39 PM
LEW_TEX
Cleburne, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 13, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9122401

yakmon wrote:Wow Lew...here I was excited about 1 Question Mark...LOL. Great shots!

Russell

We only saw one or two Question Marks until we put out the rotten banana and they covered it within an hour or two. One time I counted 16 on one pan but after that they were so thick I couldn't count them !! They won't give the other BFs a place at the bar.

That hummerbird photo is fantastic.

LEW

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 13, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9122456

Thanks Melanie and Lew. I haven't entered any, but have thought about it. I just enjoy seeing them and I am happy to share them with others. My kids and I picked 2 bouquets of butterfly plants for my Wife and a good friend of ours. Thanks to all of you who have shared your seeds, plants, pictures and knowledge. You have helped me and countless others learn how to attract BFs and other visitors to our communities.

Pic of the bouquets.

Russell

Thumbnail by yakmon

scarletbean
Newport, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9122475

Hello everyone!
Glad to see the usual suspects here on this thread. Great pics as usual. Not much BF action in my area as we have had rain for 2 days.

Not sure if this is a good place for this question: I just got 2 Buddleia Plugs from sale bin at Walmart.( the kind in the paper bag w/ handle, they only have 1 stick each also dried out) These are sold as Bulbs for spring planting. Nanho blue and Pink Delight. If I hurry and get this in the ground, will they give me any flowers this year?

Thanks all!
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 14, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #9123239

Yes they should, scarletbean. They grow pretty fast. I think nano is a dwarf, I believe, but the pink delight can get up to 5-6'~ so it might need more room.

Yowie! Russell! What gorgeous bouquets!

Yeah Dale, I remember 2007! It was an amazing year indeed!

:-Deb

Kinda blurry from my iPhone pics:

#1-3 Datura opening yesterday... They had an amazing lavender edge on them, i suspect from the cooler weather we've had. I saw a hummingbird moth attempting to come take a drink, but it fled before I could get a pic.

#4 I worked in floral at Kroger yesterday making arrangements for Mother's Day... Here is one I made with Alstromeria, Roses, Asters, Wax Flowers and Green Mist, (the green mist reminds me of Queen Anne's Lace.)

I love the flowers in your bouquets Russell, as I know most were lit on by butterflies. I like working with flowers, but rather work closer to the dirt, with live plants.

Thumbnail by debnes_dfw_tx   Thumbnail by debnes_dfw_tx   Thumbnail by debnes_dfw_tx   Thumbnail by debnes_dfw_tx

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 14, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9124120

Folks - what kind of root system does a butterfly bush have anyway?

I have been thinking of digging one up to move, and feel like a giant root system might be a deterrent.

Thanks.
A.

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 14, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9124126

Amanda, I have never dug one up, but I would recommend trying to root some cuttings before you dig it up just in case. I have had good luck with them, and it might save you some money if the mature plant doesn't make it.

Good luck!

Russell

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 15, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9124646

I moved one once that was about 3 feet tall. I just tried to take as much of the root ball intact as I could and had no problem. Think it just may depend!

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 15, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9124850

I was just out watering my orchids and saw a Gulf Frit, a Monarch, a Cloudless Sulphur, and a Polydamas ST. I figured the Polydamas was the one I released a couple of days ago. On a whim, I checked my pipevine. I noticed it was blooming which was cool because it seldom does that (since it's constantly being eaten). Well, I looked closer and found a cluster of eggs on the flower! I looked further and found another cluster on the vine itself! So now I'll have lots of little Polydamas cats to raise. It's been a while since I've had any; last year was a bad year for them and the Zebra Longwings. I'll post pictures as they grow!

Melanie

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 15, 2012
11:08 AM

Post #9124873

Ok, here's a picture of the eggs. Notice that Polydamas eggs are yellowish while Pipevine ST eggs are reddish-orange.

Thumbnail by mellielong

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 15, 2012
11:10 AM

Post #9124875

And here's a few of my Giant ST cats chilling on the rue.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong

jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 15, 2012
11:20 AM

Post #9124887

Spring Azure (I think) in flight.

Thumbnail by jmorth

scarletbean
Newport, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2012
11:48 AM

Post #9124915

Thanks for the butterfly bush advice, I got them in the ground this morning. I have been wanting one for so long, and couldn't decide on color, or justify price on a more mature plant. When I saw the markdown to $5 for 2 and the 2 different colors, well, it was a done deal. I do love a bargain.
The datura photos are sooo lovely, the lighting makes them look ethereal. I saw a strange pod on a plant last year and my wonderful guy climbed down this crazy embankment to get it for me. It turned out to be datura and i planted some seeds. I have been rewarded with quite a few blooms already. They have a fragrance that reminds me of something I cannot quite put my finger on. Anyhoo, between the datura and the moonvine planted by it I hope to see hummingbird moths and possibly a luna moth.
Happy butterfly - ing !
scarletbean
Newport, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #9124923

Jmorth, THAT is a striking photo! the blue just leaps out and pokes ya in the eye!
Thanks for the beauty!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2012
8:46 PM

Post #9125474

Eeek! That is a neat picture - it's doing a nose dive into that lily. :)
jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 16, 2012
12:14 AM

Post #9125578

Thanks.
scarletbean, here's a pic from a few year's ago of HBM and moonflower:

Thumbnail by jmorth

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2012
3:42 AM

Post #9125601

jmorth...I am not sure which moth you have but I believe it is either a Tomato Hornworm, Tobacco Hornworm, or a Five-spotted Hawkmoth. You might look those up. Or wait and Dale will tell us...that's easier! LOL!
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2012
4:58 AM

Post #9125644

Yeah Sheila, So many different hornworm moths, hard to tell them apart. Dale might know...

jmorth, Your pics always amaze and inspire me! I have a good seedling of the Moonvine this year. It should be blooming sometime in July. The earliest blooms I've ever had were July 1st, but this years had a late start.

Mellie, Of course you saw all that! You live in Florida for goodness sakes, lol. You go girl! Great action with the GST and Polys!!
Outstanding, as usual!!

scarletbean, The best luck I've ever had propagating Buddelija, was with a pink/lavender that would make seed. I just threw some seeds from it down in fall and up they came. By the next spring/summer I had several very large bushes, blooming like crazy. Many of them don't seed well from my experience, but the pink one sure did. Park Seed and Michigan Bulb have great deals on plugs too, and even if you set them now, you'd have blooms in a month or two at the least.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2012
5:08 AM

Post #9125657

Nice pics. everyone. Like Deb has said, J's pics. are outstanding! Scarletbean, I've good lucks with rooting Buddelija with semi-soft wood. I poke them in the ground, and they took off with regular watering. Deb. I've a species Buddelija it reseed freely but not my hybrids.

Could someone please send me some Monarch? My MW which piggybagged onto my container gardening; they begun to bloom. Need some caterpillars to eat them down before they go to seed. lol

This message was edited May 16, 2012 6:16 AM

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 16, 2012
5:12 AM

Post #9125661

I think all the Monarchs are at Mel's place.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2012
5:18 AM

Post #9125668

Tehehe, Okay Mel. Please point them Monarchs to a GPS heading Alabama please.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 16, 2012
9:24 AM

Post #9125996

Saw a Viceroy the other day ...got caught in my windshield wipers as I was diving. So when I got to Walmart I was able to get it out and let it go!

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 16, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9126060

Beleieve me, if I could get the Monarchs to go I would! My milkweed has barely recovered so it should be time for more caterpillars soon. It's an endless cycle.

Melanie
scarletbean
Newport, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9126073

Awww, thanks everybody. I hope these guys grow. When i planted them, I did see that there was a good amount of roots which looked alive even though the stems had withered, dry teeeny little leaves on them. I hope you are right about getting flowers. I am looking forward to the contrast of the 2 colors, although I will be happy with ANY growth. The more I look at Buddleia, the flowers and leaves, the more I wonder if they are related to lantana?

BTW, I had a question mark literally eating (well, sipping) from my hand today. I mixed up the butterfly brew and meant to get a guinness, but forgot and left it in a jar on the porch. I opened it to check on it and got some on me when along came the ? and lighted first on the jar lid, then my hand. Yay!!!

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 16, 2012
11:13 AM

Post #9126089

How cool sb!!

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 17, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9127835

Hey guys, I know we talk about parasitic wasps but has anyone ever had parasitic flies? I ask because I kept the pupa that came out of my caterpillar and when it emerged yesterday it was a fly. I'm waiting until it dies and then I'll get a picture. I just wondered if anyone knew offhand what it was.

Melanie

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 18, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9128245

Just enjoying seeing all the wonderful butterflies everyone has been posting...takes me awhile to go through them all, I get so far behind.

I have GF cats all over my passi vine. I saw one sulphur cat on the Cassia, but by the lack of leaves I'm sure there are more. The Monarchs just now are starting some egg laying again...which is good because my plants are all full of leaves again from the last piggy cats that completely stripped them clean in late winter.

Lots of tiger swallowtails and giant swallowtails flying around...I guess I don't have a host plant for them..will have to find out what they like...any ideas?

Caught some real close ups of a dark swallow tail...never can I get this close, but it was really engrossed in that penta flower.

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9128295

Sherri, those are gorgeous shots you've got! Please everyone keep those pics. coming. I saw a few swallowtails here and there. A varigated GF I think. But not very many of anything else. How come Bruce gets Monarch in Ohio, and I get none down here? Oh Thanks Mel, for the thought of sending me Mornach if you could. I've Pentas, I also have that tropical Jatropas, just waiting for those winged jewels to arrive.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 18, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9128316

By the way I found a milkweed bug on my host plants. I destroyed it because I thought it was an assassin bug. But looked it up and see it doesn't eat the cats but are seed and sap-suckers. So I guess it is a bad bug if you're trying to grow milkweed. So guess I did the right thing. Reminded me of the love bugs we see around here...but larger and brighter.

http://www.mymonarchguide.com/2008/05/milkweed-bugs.html

I had the large milkweed bug.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 18, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #9128623

Sunkissed, that's the female dark form of the Tiger ST. See how it has stripes on the body instead of spots? Plus, you can kind of see the stripes in the wings.

I had a nice surprise out front this afternoon - a White Peacock! This is the first one I've seen in my yard.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2012
12:36 PM

Post #9128649

Nice one Mel. Sherri last year I've gotten alot those bugs too. I didn't do much to them. Mel, back to your question. I have seen robber fly that 'robs' bees in the garden before. But parasistic fly on other larva. Whoa!!! Tell us what you've found?

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 18, 2012
12:51 PM

Post #9128665

I found a good link about Monarhc parasites: http://monarchparasites.uga.edu/parasites_in_monarchs/index.html

Apparently, I have a tachinid fly problem. It's really gross, they come out of the chrysalis or caterpillar on white strings and drop down to the bottom of the cage. At first they look like little tiny grubs but then they turn into a plain brown pupa. I nabbed a couple of the pupa and isolated them in tupperware; I was surprised when a fly came out! The one that hatched is almost dead so I'll take a picture once he's no longer a threat.

Melanie

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9128732

Oooh yike! Those tachinid fly paratoids are bad dudes! Next time I visit my local fav. garden center, I'll try to find some fly traps. It'd be worth it to keep their population down. Thanks Mel.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 18, 2012
10:23 PM

Post #9129157

Here is a good site to look up all things butterfly on. I copied the link for the page on tachinid flies, but if you go home from there you will find a lot of good info.
http://www.butterflyfunfacts.com/tachinidfly.php Great pics of the fly too.

I have had both the wasp and flies to infect my butterflies. I keep a fly bait bag out all year, it can't hurt.
A group of wasp emerged from a chrysalis I had caged and I was able to capture and kill them. This shot is a close up of one inside the tight mesh of the castle type cage...reinforcing the need to use tiny mesh for the cages. If they had been able to get out, they would have gone on to parasitize more cats.

This message was edited May 18, 2012 11:24 PM

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW

scarletbean
Newport, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2012
6:29 AM

Post #9130373

Mellie- I cant tell from your picture, but is the fly pretty big with a black and clear pattern on the wings?

Had a lovely yellow tigerstripe flutter into my yard yesterday. Must have been late for an important butterfly meeting, it didn't even stop on my pentas.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9130449

Thank you Sheila for the helpful webpage on the tachinidfly. LOL with you scarletbean regarding
Quoting: ... Must have been late for an important butterfly meeting, it didn't even stop on my pentas.

I've too have some pentas blooming. I'm hoping to see some of those cute as a botton Hawkmoth cats. on this plant soon.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 21, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9132257

My Polydamas ST cats hatched last night! I love how they clump together; my mom says they like to snuggle.

Thumbnail by mellielong

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 21, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9132262

And I found another Giant ST outside. They grow much faster when not in captivity; the one I found is a monster! I also found four more eggs. Here's a pic of the ones I've been growing in captivity.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9132378

The polys are cute Melanie, the pipevine I am raising do the same. Momma lays the eggs close together and they feed side by side until they get pretty big.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 21, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #9132382

oooo...would love to have some GST or Pipevine babies!!

I did spot this TST trying to hide up in a tree!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

May 21, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #9132457

It fun to see so many are having lots of butterflies. Like many of you I've been seeing a lot of Red Admirals.
One Question Mark, and some Cabbage White. I saw a tiny white one, in my crab tree this morning.
My Polyphemus Moth have been popping out of their cocoons. I have 3 more to release tonight. 2 male and a female. My Black Swallowtail didn't make it.

First one is of the female.
second one, is the male.

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9132642

Oh how I'd like to see any type of cats. around here. None, zip, zil, nada! Burn, how neat on the Polyphemus Moths. Congrats. So sorry the BSTs didn't make it. Thanks everyone for sharing yours. I saw some Yellow and black form STs but too far to take any pics.
scarletbean
Newport, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9132748

ooooooohhhhh the Polyphemus moths are beautiful! I could go on, but just...wow.

'night all.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 22, 2012
10:12 AM

Post #9133537

Thanks Mellie for that link to Monarhc parasites, I book marked it for future reference. :)
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9134236

I was hoping maybe one of you or Dale could identify this for me. I do not recall seeing it before and I am over run by them this year. I think the pic with the open wings is on my other camera. When the wings are open, it has a short 'tail' like a bird that is solid black with white along the edge. Anyone recognize it? I'm down in my back or would go get the other camera. I'll post it as soon as I am up and around.

Thumbnail by Crit

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 22, 2012

Post #9134241

You're most welcome!

All my Polydamas have hatched and are munching away. I keep thinking about them getting bigger and what I'm gonna do - I hope I have enough Pipevine! If not, I know a good nursery. The Giant ST eggs I found have hatched. My Giant ST cats are getting to be quite giant; one gut purged today so soon they'll all be doing it, LOL!

Melanie
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9134248

I don't remember the name of this little guy, but they were talking about it on Oklahoma Gardening on the Public Service channel Saturday. He is just cute as a button!!!!

Thumbnail by Crit

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 22, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9134258

Cool! Looks like a Crescent of some kind. I'm not sure which ones live in OK. Checkerspots can be similar, too; I saw one in WV but don't see them down here in FL. They're a little bigger than Crescents, though.

Melanie

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9134326

Looks like a Pearl Crescent to me. http://davesgarden.com/guides/bf/go/538/ They have a varied list of host plants and we see them every year here.
lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

May 23, 2012
5:31 AM

Post #9134734

Crit -- your first picture is a Catocala moth, I'm guessing Catocala ilia, which has a couple of common names: The Beloved Underwing; the Wife; Ilia Underwing. There are more than 100 species of Catocala moths across the US and they can be quiet variable. They'll be visiting your tray of rotted fruit or brew during the night and tend to find some shadowy shelter during the day -- usually people notice them on their patio, etc. You can tell from the mottled patterns on their wings how well they "disappear" when they land on the trunk of a tree, where they usually spend the day. Sheila nailed the id on the second picture - Pearl Crescent.

Dale Clark

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2012
5:53 AM

Post #9134771

Thank you Dale and Sheila, for those I.Ds. yesterday I found this Yellow Tigerswallowtail. A good day it was.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9134930

Okay guys, what's likely to be laying egg on this purple datura's leave please?

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 23, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9134978

Mellie what to GST eat, I have them flying around my garden almost everyday, but I've never seen the cats on anything.

Crit nice shots, and Lily great shot of the tiger swallow, they are abundant down here, the dark and yellow.

Yesterday saw my first Zebra longwing, my purple passi's are opening and probably the reason...but try as I might could not photograph it.
Also had the oleander moth flying around me, they are so striking...I forget what it is called...the one that looks like a wasp.

My bleeding heart attracts butterflies and hummers daily.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 23, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9134985

Lily go to the plant, hopefully not this beetle>>>http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/49910/#b

Lovely plant. I had winter sown this successfully in Feb04 and it germinated in Apr04. Have had a few occurances of three lined potato beetle trouble; the beetle lays it's yellow eggs on the underside of the leaf and when the larvae hatch, they begin to devour the leaf; very nasty looking. The first occurance was back in Jun04, and it's been fine until today, Aug04. Found one beetle and one cluster of eggs; promptly destroyed both... post by...flamingonut

This message was edited May 23, 2012 10:13 AM

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9135078

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/49910#b

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 23, 2012
10:58 AM

Post #9135208

Giant STs eat plants in the citrus family along with the herb rue. That's what I feed them in my garden. The caterpillars are known as "Orange Dogs" because of their love of citrus; they can be a minor pest to citrus farmers. In the wild they eat things like wild lime and Hercules' Club.

Watch out on the datura - it might be tobacco hornworms. Datura is in the nightshade family along with tomatoes.

Melanie

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 23, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9135372

Thanks Mel. We no longer have our orange tree, but several in the area, they must just come for the nectar in my garden then...I have no more room now for another citrus tree.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9135393

Did anybody else try to start the FL paintbrush from seed?

Very interesting seedling. I am about to plant them out tomorrow. Seed leaves small oval and then leaves like a monocot! weird.

I'm not a botanist, but the first leaves make it look like a grass. Still small, only 3" high. Guess I'm going to plant them high and dry.

We had big rain overnight so no Bflies today, but many other pollinators. Hummers also - have a boy/girl pair coming regularly.

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9136613

Thanks for the ID on my pictures Dale and Sheila. I thought the one looked like a moth, but it is out during the day here too. Here is a pic I caught of it at my butterfly feeding tray.

What is the 2nd butterfly? They seem to travel in pairs and are like hyper active children, they never stop. I was very lucky to get this pic before it sprinted off again.

Patti

Thumbnail by Crit   Thumbnail by Crit

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #9136619

No Amanda, I didn't. Heard so much about Florida paintbrush. Looking forward to see your photos of the lovely plants. Mel, thanks for the headup on those Tomatoes hornworm. I don't get any kind of caterpillar here, I'm going to raise that little thing. lol I read that it takes the eggs average 5 days to hatch. I'm waiting.

Haa! Have I a Peakock butterfly here?

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2012
11:28 AM

Post #9136726

Patti...pretty fancy undergarment it has too! The second is a varigated fritillary or another frit relative.

Lily..that is my favorite bf you have there! It is a buckeye, aren't they lovely?

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 24, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9136776

That Buckeye sure looks happy on all those flowers! Oh, and that is a Variegated Fritillary.

Speaking of Fritillaries, I have the Gulf Frit laying eggs all over my passiflora. I also took a picture of one of my Giant ST cats in my hand so you can see how big they get. They're rue-eating monsters!

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9136790

I noticed you just cut and put the rue in the cage, you must have a lot of it. I try not to waste to wilting because I have run out in the past. This last year I planted several more and also started some from seed. This year unlike the years past, I have not even seen a GST or BST in the yard. But for the first time I have Pipevines!! The Monarchs are still drifting in but not like in years prior...hope some of those you are releasing in FL multiply up north and some will take the Texas route in the fall.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 24, 2012
12:10 PM

Post #9136797

Sheila, they eat it faster than it wilts. Plus, my rue made some babies last fall so now I have four of them. I haven't seen any Black STs either, but that's not too unusual. Congrats on the Pipevine STs! I wish I had some of those; they're so cool. I'll tell the Monarchs where to go and how to get there, but they rarely seem to listen, LOL!

Melanie

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9136918

Thank Sheila on the Buckeye i.d. Mel, the GST cat! It's a big fella! LOL I don't believe I've seen those butterflies around here, though I've some citrus growing in containers here.

I saw several more butterflies today! First it was a little Pearl Crescent (I think), then a Sulphur, then finally several of these RSP? These kept coming into the garage for some reason?

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9137031

I just bought and planted some Florence Fennel and Rue. I also have some regular fennel that I am growing from seed. I need to get some dill plants out also. I would love to get a passi to grow on my fence. There is a wild alfalfa type plant that is a vine growing in the alleyway on my neighbors fence that the bf's love. I pulled some up and planted it on my fence and it seems to be taking hold.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2012
9:21 PM

Post #9137519

I am jealous of the Red Spotted Purple Lily! I have never had one of those...YET anyway!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9137889

We usually have LOTS of RSP's here. I love them, they are so pretty. I've seen several large dark bf's, but I think they are most likely the Morning Cloaks, which I have never had before! We had to cut down the large pink mimosa that was right next to the house that they loved, but have some probably 50 yards from the house so I may just not be seeing them like I did when the tree was close.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9138147

If anyone is interested in a passiflora lutea/yellow flower I will dig one up for you while it's small and ship for postage. I don't recall what it's native range is, but they are for me right here - you will have to fight with the birds if you hope to gather some seed. I got some seed, but some were green and not sure if they were viable from last season, but i did ship them to a DG member in trade:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/58221/

I just transplanted my P. incarnata into the ground from containers this spring and they are just beginning to link themselves to the chain link fence, so it's not the best time Patti, but let me know if you need one from me. I grew them from seed - PAINFUL! - about 3 seasons ago.

Q: I'd read that rue is toxic or can cause inflammation/pain when handling it - has anyone experienced this? Do I really need to wear gloves?

Hope everyone has a relaxing weekend.

A.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2012
11:44 AM

Post #9138228

I have not experienced a problem with Rue, but then I usually wash my hands before & after dealing with plants I am feeding my caterpillars.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 25, 2012
12:05 PM

Post #9138254

I always wash my hands after handling rue because it is so stinky! But I haven't had any problems with it and I'm allergic to just about everything.

Melanie

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9138750

Thanks Melanie and Sheila - Melanie - were you the one who posted a picture of a butterfly on "Spanish Needles?"

Funny - I saw this plant in a pot of lantana and couldn't figure out what it was. I bought the lantana so I could also have the noxious weed. When you said Spanish needle I looked it up and that must be it - Bidens alba.

Am I crazy? Is it a butterfly magnet? Should I pull it out? I planted it individually and though the foliage is looking better, it does not have abundant flowers.

A.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 25, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9138840

Bidens alba is one of those plants I love to hate. The seeds will stick all over your socks and it will grow anywhere there's a bare space, but the butterflies LOVE it! It's also a host plant for the Dainty Sulphur. I get a lot of the smaller butterflies on it like skippers, hairstreaks, blues, buckeyes, etc. Of course, where you live it will probably freeze back so maybe it won't be quite as prolific as it is down here. Just watch out for those seeds - they feel like little needles in your socks! That plant is one of the reasons I tell people to let a patch of their yard get a little weedy if they can; often, the weeds are the best butterfly attractors since they evolved together.

Melanie

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2012
9:04 PM

Post #9138891

I missed when the thread moved, oops. Love the pics ,I've seen some QM and PL but a small black skipper with white spots something like a swallowtail has me puzzled. I know I have seen a picture of it but just can't remember the name. First time I have seen this one,about the size of my pinky from my nail to my first knuckle.Real little guy . Only pretty for a skipper, more so than usual.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9139194

Yes Amanda. I would love to have starts of your plants. Just let me know.

The yellow passiflora sounds pretty. I'm also looking for a purple one. I love purple flowers!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #9139383

Patti - they did flower last season. I don't think they flowered the first season from seed. Want to join on to Susie's swap for June and be partners there? :D

Melanie - thanks for that tidbit on the spanish needles - how timely your picture and your comment were - right when I brought that weed and that lovely lantana home from the store. You have heard me blather about my native plants, and I agree about the weedy patch of the yard. I wish more people would, but it's a hard sell. My favorite and most helpful publication for identifying most of what grows wild around here is from the University of FL dept of agriculture/cooperative extension and it's called "Weeds of Southern Turfgrass." If it doesn't have a flower or it's noxious and invasive it comes out. OR if it's a known host plant or something like that I'll leave it - even lately I've been "weeding" and I have left the white clover stay in the beds as well as the yellow oxalis that spreads by runners.

I have been trying to grow purple prairie clover and don't know why it's been difficult. Also - can you believe for some reason I cannot grow ratibida!? -sigh- Probably soil issues. Since I've found a nice light seed starting mix my results are improving, but I'm out of seed for ratibida. O well. Maybe next year! :)

Hope everyone enjoys their weekend! Does everyone have Monday off?

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 26, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9139912

I don't get any days off anymore...I am retired! LOL!
lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

May 26, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9140000

I don't get any days off anymore either, Sheila -- I'm self-employed!

Dale Clark

SallieKr

SallieKr
Cherry Valley, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9140307

Hi all... I'm new here, and won't have much time for forums until after June 20th as my garden is going to be in a local "Garden Walk" and I still have SO much work to do! My husband and I love taking pics of butterflies in our gardens, so I hope to have more to share this summer.
Here are a few- including ones I need help ID'ing... I'm just starting to try to ID all the flying things in my garden!
1. First Tiger Swallowtail this year- 04/05/2012
2. Monarchs - from a few years ago
3. 7/26/2009 - what is this? Looks like red spotted purple, but no red spots
4. Sept 2007 - Fiery Skipper?
5. Sept 2007 - Fiery Skipper?

Thumbnail by SallieKr   Thumbnail by SallieKr   Thumbnail by SallieKr   Thumbnail by SallieKr   Thumbnail by SallieKr

lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

May 27, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9140504

A "heads up" to local Dallas/Ft. Worth butterfliers. I've had two Palamedes Swallowtails in my yard here in Dallas County. The only previous record of this butterfly was a stray that got blown in back in the 1980s with a hurricane. This is normally an east Texas species that we don't see in the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex. Populations in southeast Texas have been off the charts recently and a friend of mine in the Houston area has been amazed at how many are on the wing currently. So give those dark swallowtails a closer look. ((This photo is from an exhibit from years back -- not the ones I saw in my yard, but just something to look at.))

Dale Clark

Thumbnail by lepfarmer

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 27, 2012
11:21 AM

Post #9140553

Very cool Dale! Things have slowed down around my house. Hopefully things will pick up when the wind dies down.

Russell

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 27, 2012
11:56 AM

Post #9140605

Welcome Sallie! Yes, that is a Red-Spotted Purple; the spots are on the underside. I won't even try to ID skippers because so many of them look the same to me. Congrats on your house being included in the garden walk; I wouldn't want people seeing how weedy mine is!

That's neat about the Palamedes; I usually seem them early in the spring and then not again until the fall. Remember to look for the diagonal line on the underside of their wings to be sure it's a Palamedes. Or, I always think the yellow on the upperside has more of an airbrushed effect as opposed to the "stay within the lines" Eastern Black STs.

Melanie

SallieKr

SallieKr
Cherry Valley, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9141981

Thanks Melanie! I was searching for this guy on a butterfly site and found it ID'd as red-spotted Purple. I just did another search and found pictures of both this and the other pic... so is this a purple, or something else altogether?

Thumbnail by SallieKr

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 28, 2012
12:09 PM

Post #9142008

That's a Red-Spotted Purple, one of my fave butterflies.

Melanie

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9142452

Hey folks - found what looks like an orange sulfur on my collard seedlings today. Don't know how it got there/where it came from, but I don't have any senna at all sprouted.

Collards typical fare? They were in 2" pots and there won't be much more before they're completely defoliated.

Any other known host plants? Suppose I could go out and get collards tomorrow - my iguana eats them so I wouldn't REALLY be buying collards for a worm. :D

A.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #9143531

I have a lot of Questions! hahahah

Also, check out the Nessus Hummingbird Moth. I had no idea they'd eat fruit.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2012
2:18 PM

Post #9143675

WOW! That's so awesome. :)

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9144196

Great shot Marna...I didn't know the HB moths would nectar on the fruit either.
I don't know if I shared this or not, but I had moths come at night to the butterfly brew.

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2012
12:27 AM

Post #9144311

That's really cool - wish I didn't have rodent "issues." I can't put out anything that may attract other critters right now. WAH!

By the way - the sulfur caterpillar went its way - it looked large enough to pupate. Will keep an eye out for it.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 30, 2012
2:25 PM

Post #9145172

The Polydamas are munching away and getting bigger!

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9145496

Looks like an invasion! LOL!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 31, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9145865

Too bad you have so few. ha. Kinda creepy seeing them all together like that.
lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

May 31, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9146148

Here's a link (hope it works) to the short article in the Dallas Morning News this morning about the Palamedes Swallowtails that are showing up in the Dallas area.

http://www.dallasnews.com/lifestyles/home-and-gardening/headlines/20120530-piney-woods-native-butterflies-showing-up-locally.ece

Dale Clark
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9147976

Sorry been MIA for a while. Amanda, I would love to be your swap partner for June. I have already signed up for 2 boxes. I'll let Susie know that one of those will be us.

I had an unknown plant start growing next to another plant on my back fence last year that I didn't know what it was. I left it until I could determine if it was something I had planted or a weed. The other plant died in the heat last summer, but the unknown one came back this year. Much to my pleasure, it has started to bloom and is a purple passion vine! What I've been wanting so badly. Glad I didn't pull it. The yellow one would be great since I know know I have the purple.

I was setting on the patio the other day and saw a tiger ST fly through the yard. It's the only one I've seen, or at least I've only seen one at a time. I'm so happy. No pic though, it flew too fast.

Good info Dale. I'll keep closer watch here too. You aren't that far from us as the crow (or butterfly) flies. :-)

That's cool about the HB moths Sheila. I'll have to watch for them too.

A. I have one of my butterfly feeders hanging from a tree branch. I am using one of those plant hangers that you put the pots down into, like macrame, but instead of a pot I put a plate with some sand and put my brew on that. It seeps into the sand but the BF's can reach it. I sometimes add just a little bit of water to it.
jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 2, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9149460

dragonfly

Thumbnail by jmorth

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9150390

I was posting the other morning that I haven't even seen a GST and today there was one all around my citrus trees!! Of course when I went out with the camera, it was no where around. Didn't see eggs on them or the rue plants, but I am still hopeful!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9150543

Good for you Sheila. Glad you at least saw it.

I haven't seen anything on my Rue, but found this little guy (and I mean LITTLE GUY) on my fennel. I have blown up the pic so you can see him. Anyone know what he is?

I had something that was eating my Cyclomin leaves so I moved him over to the Rue. Don't know where he went from there. He was about 1" and green with some black. I didn't look at him real good, I just wanted to get him off my plant. I am babying it back to health as it is. He curled up when I picked him up and put off some tobacco juice.

Thumbnail by Crit

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9150581

Crit wrote:Good for you Sheila. Glad you at least saw it.

I haven't seen anything on my Rue, but found this little guy (and I mean LITTLE GUY) on my fennel. I have blown up the pic so you can see him. Anyone know what he is?

I had something that was eating my Cyclomin leaves so I moved him over to the Rue. Don't know where he went from there. He was about 1" and green with some black. I didn't look at him real good, I just wanted to get him off my plant. I am babying it back to health as it is. He curled up when I picked him up and put off some tobacco juice.

Looks like a Black Swallowtail Cat.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9150720

Thanks, that would be cool. It is so teeny tiny. The ones I always saw on my dill were a lot bigger.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2012

Post #9150781

Yah, that is an early instar black swallowtail. I have so much parsley this year that it is tough to look for them.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #9150811

Agreed - their appearance changes very dramatically Patti!

Glad you found your purple passion flower. One of mine has reached the top of the fence and is now reaching for the mulberry tree. I'd rather the passion flower up there than kudzu or ivy I guess. Not sure how I feel about it, but that's what it would do in the wild I guess . . ..

A.
jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2012
10:55 PM

Post #9151130

New England Aster is blooming so out of season this weird year.

Thumbnail by jmorth

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9151362

Oh jack, I'm glad you posted that. My asters and one mum are blooming now. Weird.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9151461

My mums always start blooming now, and I am not one to pinch them back to force fall bloom like others. It did concern me when I saw blue flowers appearing on my NE aster though. Fortunately (?!) for me the dogs trampled thru it and I had to cut it back so it gets to start over again.

We had a question mark yesterday land on both of us as it darted thru the yard. Mostly cabbage whites here and tiny skippers, and bees - all kinds.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 4, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #9151633

Dale...Keeping my eyes peeled for the Palamedes!

I did watch with smiles and snapped pictures of the fluttering of a male and female GST yesterday!!! She was an older female trying to lay eggs and the young male was pursuing her madly. Looked later and found no eggs though.

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2012
11:38 AM

Post #9151782

Went to Walmart yesterday and was walking among the flowers they had outside. They were covered with either Black Swallowtails or Red Spotted purples. It was cool seeing them all fluttering around.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9152018

I don't seem to be seeing many of anything this year,A few red admirals that look bigger and stronger than years past And as always sulphers are everywhere.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 4, 2012
1:42 PM

Post #9152027

I bet you will be seeing Monarchs this year in droves. FL people are loaded with them right now.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9152049

I saw a couple monarchs real early this year and haven't seen any save one since, maybe July.We usually have have more swallowtails also,they are normally everywhere ya look by this time.
At any rate,I am glad the monarchs are doing well,I can remember those guys making shade as there was so many.Back in early 89 I remember seeing what must of been a 150 cats starving because they ran out of food,(Only 1 milkweed plant for all of them). I suppose that is why everybody who gardens should keep a few plants for them as the fields and prairie dissapears.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 4, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9152064

After the drought and wildfires we had here in TX last year, our populations aren't what we normally see. That said we had an abundant Red Admiral showing earlier and then I had Pipevine more than before. But only now seeing the GST and hearing about the BST close by.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9152482

Pretty quiet here, after having had a great Red Admiral and Question Mark showing. Probably another two weeks until things start to pick up on my butterfly monitoring route.

I can't imagine monarch cats starving. There is so much common milkweed here in rural Illinois.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9152601

That reminds me that I need to start more and have it as back up.

I've got the strangest thing happening to my MW this year. It is being eaten or broken off by something that is NOT a monarch! My poke milkweed have fallen prey. My purple MW also. Discovered the swan plant down, and yesterday found that 3 baby common MW seedlings disappeared. I thought MW was toxic?! Who else would eat it besides a starving rodent or stupid rabbit?!

-sigh-
lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

June 5, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9152957

Sheila -- worry not about swallowtails. I was at Harry Moss Park in Dallas yesterday and there were easily 40+ swallowtails (Pipevine, Eastern Black, Eastern Tiger) flitting about nectaring on Thistles, mostly. Alas, no Palamedes, although Sunday I had four in my yard (not at one time), which is just surreal.

Dale Clark
lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

June 5, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9152963

Oops. Forgot the picture.

Dale

Thumbnail by lepfarmer

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 5, 2012
9:28 PM

Post #9154103

Nice pic of the PV and TigerST Dale. One of these days I am going to surprize you and show up at a meeting / outing. LOL!

I had a great treat today just as I finished mowing I saw a BST on my fennel. I now have about a dozen eggs!! Woohoo!! I got pictures but they are on my phone ...post later.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9154303

I love how those eggs stand out on fennel and dill. cute little round things.
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9155055

1st one of the year! With more in the background.

Thumbnail by BCH521   Thumbnail by BCH521   Thumbnail by BCH521

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9155059

Yes Marna, those eggs are pleasant sight to watch on Fennels and Dills, except I haven't any right now. :(( Bruce, Olalala!!!! Congrats! All line up in a row purdy!

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 6, 2012
9:21 PM

Post #9155297

No butterflies lately around the house, but I did get a glimpse of this beauty...no idea what it is, but Wow! It was hiding in a tree next door and was difficult to get centered in the frame. I got this one half way decent shot before it took off to parts unknown. Any ideas on the ID? (edited with additional info). I looked around the Internet, and it appears to be a female giant black witch moth. The flash really brought out the colors - the spots almost look iridescent.

Russell

This message was edited Jun 7, 2012 7:08 AM

Thumbnail by yakmon

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #9155475

That moth is so beautiful Russell.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2012
5:43 AM

Post #9155484

Russell...I haven't seen one but remember someone getting an id before as a witch moth, but not sure which one it is; Dale will give us more info maybe. Great picture!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 7, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9155499

really nice colors Russell.

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 7, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9156415

Thanks all. No sign of her tonight. That was the largest moth I have seen around here. I would say the wingspan was around 6 inches or so. Glad to get some action around...I wonder if the lack of drought has spread the BFs out a little more than last year. My yard was an oasis last year, now I am just another spot with flowers...hehe.

Russell

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 8, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9156875

Wow Russell, I didn't realize that moth was so large. It is very pretty; thanks for sharing it with us!

Melanie

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 8, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9157506

Russell...here is the old post with the id on the Black Witch Moth.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1109750/?hl=black witch moth#top

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9157514

Well my bf season hasn't been to active this year,saw a buckeye bf and a little ruby hummingbird today.

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 8, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9157528

Thanks Sheila. Looks like the male is stunning too. I wish I had been able to get more picture of her...very skittish, and she was fairly high up in the neighbor's tree, so I had to shoot blind and hope for a decent picture.

Russell

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 9, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9158436

My first Giant ST emerged today and I didn't notice until its wings were dry and he was flapping around in the critter keeper. He flew away as soon as I opened it and went to hide on my milkweed. Here he is playing peek-a-boo with me.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 9, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9158564

Had one today but I am not sure who it is...some sort of Frit I presume.

This message was edited Jun 9, 2012 8:29 PM

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 10, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9159231

Great Spangled. You can tell from the light-colored band.

Nice Melanie! GSTs I believe are my favorites and I hardly get to see them any more.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #9159384

thank you Mrs Ed!

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9159410

Congrats on the GST Melanie...but you know I am positive, that the wings aren't ever "wet" LOL!! They do have to harden of course...sorry couldn't resist poking fun at you! Aren't they the most beautiful?,... my favorite among those I have raised.

Nanny great shots!
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 11, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #9160592

Hi,
Some of you know that I lurk (alot), but rarely say anything (don't know much so have nothing I can add). The Butterflies in my yard all seem to be common ones, but I LOVE them all...even had a Red Admiral that kept landing on my shirt and seemed very happy there.

These pics aren't very good, but they look to me like one of LEW_TEX that he called an American Lady. Is that what this is?

THANKS...You guys are all like Butterfly Gods to me. I'm sooo amazed at how much you know.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 11, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9160755

yep, that's an american lady. you can tell because it has two eyespots instead of the four that a painted lady would have. I knew nothing until I got a book and started photographing everything I could find, then IDing it with the book. You'd be surprised how much you can learn.

This male monarch must have been waiting for a female to come along.

And An eastern tailed-blue. I had a hard time getting up off the ground after taking this picture. hahah.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 11, 2012
11:13 AM

Post #9160793

THANK YOU!!!

I thought about getting a book last year, but there weren't too many butterflies so I just kind of forgot about it. I'll probably get a pile of butterfly books from the library. For me it's always a great way to find the ones I like while learning about different subjects. I love the internet, but sometimes it's nice to just quickly grab a book or even take it outside with me.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 11, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9160989

You are welcome. It's quicker to browse through a book that has like colors and shapes. I use Kauffman's. I like how it has pictures on the right page and descriptions on the left. On most pages it also has a silhouette that is "actual size".

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #9162173

I have some books, but still would rather take a picture and enlarge it on the computer first. Guess it is because I can't see it well enough outside to identify.

That said...I knew nothing much about butterflies until I found Davesgarden.com and started participating on this forum! We learn something from each other each day if we are open to it.

This message was edited Jun 12, 2012 11:17 AM

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 12, 2012
10:43 AM

Post #9162204

I agree, I can't ID in the field. I have to get a pix then look at the books. Some of the other monitors net and put in a capture jar to ID. I'm too fat to go after them by net though. HA. So I just capture via photo. That way I can send pix off to others if I can't ID.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2012
10:44 AM

Post #9162206

Sheila_FW wrote
Quoting: ...We learn something from each other each day if we are open to it.
Ditto to that Sheila.

Whoa! I'm still 'starving' for some butterflies down here where I am. I saw occassional Swallowtails and RSP bflies, a now- and- then passer- by of Monarch, but that's all! My MWs are setting out seeds, and no Monarch!!!!! sniffs, sniffs. Oh, I did see a few Question Marks bflies. this spring -- more than I had in years past.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2012
10:47 AM

Post #9162211

We are still seeing a few lone Monarchs off and on. I have had one large beautiful male cruising the garden for two days waiting on a mate. I told him he may be an old man before he sees one!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 12, 2012
10:50 AM

Post #9162216

in a lull here too.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9162825

Not much here either.

Cabbage whites - no BST or sulfurs or skippers or anything -lots of honey bees and bumbles and other pollinators. An occasional hummer.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9162852

Awww, not much butterflies anywhere? I saw a beautiful Tiger Swallowtail on this Orange Tiger lily. By the time I fetched my camera, the butterfly was already gone! Oh, we have an abundant of Queen Ann Lace blooming in the wild here, could some one tell me what they're hostplant to please?

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9162863

If you look out on LepFarmer's website it shows the info for Texas; but I know Black Swallowtails are one that uses it in the wild here.
http://www.dallasbutterflies.com Check out butterfly gardening tab on the left.

This message was edited Jun 12, 2012 8:06 PM

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9162878

Oh thank you Sheila, I'll do some reading.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9162882

The plants are many spicebush is one I remember.
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 13, 2012
3:07 AM

Post #9163181

Lily_love wrote:Awww, not much butterflies anywhere? I saw a beautiful Tiger Swallowtail on this Orange Tiger lily. By the time I fetched my camera, the butterfly was already gone! Oh, we have an abundant of Queen Ann Lace blooming in the wild here, could some one tell me what they're hostplant to please?

That is the plant of choice for the Black Swallowtails here.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9165084

Thank you Bruce and Sheila for your responses. I saw a long-tail skipper, and a Gray Hairstreak (?) for the 1st time today.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9165162

Question mark and the usual cabbage moths.
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 14, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9165389

My sister came to visit for the last 5 weeks, and wanted to learn how to raise butterflies--she just went back home, and here are a couple of pictures of what she accomplished while she was here; I think she is hooked.

Thumbnail by BCH521   Thumbnail by BCH521

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9165416

Whoa! She's hooked in a positive way! Congrats to her for accomplished such a delicate task. And bravo to you for being a good teacher Bruce! I would like some measly cats. or eggs donation is appreciated here. lol

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 14, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9165465

What's going on there with the monarchs. Are they on little pieces of paper?

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9165537

Also amazed that I am apparently completely out of the path!

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 14, 2012
9:39 PM

Post #9165760

WTG Sista!!! Another convert!

Marna...There is somewhere on the web showing a person that uses a cup with a paper towel rubber banded for large larva when they quit eating and are ready to pupate. That way all he has to do is pin up the piece of paper towel. I had forgotten about that method, may have to try that.

Found it...it is a video off of his website. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT7GVkUNud8

This message was edited Jun 14, 2012 11:16 PM
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

June 14, 2012
10:57 PM

Post #9165805

Does anyone here know what moth this is?

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden

lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

June 15, 2012
5:28 AM

Post #9165939

Evelyn -- It is one of the "Emeralds". I'm guessing Columbian Emerald Moth (Nemoria darwiniata).

Dale Clark

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 15, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9166193

I found this lone BST cat on the fennel the other day. I think the catbirds have enjoyed some of the cats...I see them hanging out by it a lot! I would have brought it in but we are leaving on vacation Sunday, and our son while happy to watch the dog...not so much a caterpillar! lol

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2012
11:24 AM

Post #9166362

Thanks Shelia. That's interesting. I saw that before but didn't recognize that's what it was. pretty cool.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 15, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9166598

Here's one of the two Giant STs I released today.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 15, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #9166639

Mrs_Ed wrote:What's going on there with the monarchs. Are they on little pieces of paper?

We use coffee filters on quart canning jars, so when they form their chrysalis we just fold up the filters and pin them to the foam. Works good!

We also write on the filters where we got the egg/cat, and the date we found it; this way if we find any more OE we can figure out where it comes from. Also my sister named them all--so that is there also.

Bruce

This message was edited Jun 15, 2012 4:52 PM

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 15, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9166752

Looks like sister might run out of ideas for names if she keeps going!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9166871

oh that's so funny that she named them.
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 16, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9167413

Stella who was named after my grandmother, and really is a girl!

Thumbnail by BCH521

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 16, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9167427

Stella and Romeo its a busy morning, much better then tv with my coffee

Thumbnail by BCH521

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9167551

LOL! So glad to see healthy Monarchs emerging. Hope you are ready with a yard full of MW. They will be trying to increase the numbers this year I bet.
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 16, 2012
10:33 AM

Post #9167574

Lots and lots of MW here.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2012

Post #9167638

Wonderful!
lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

June 16, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9167759

A handful of the Spicebush Swallowtail (Papilio troilus) larvae that I'm raising right now.

Dale Clark

Thumbnail by lepfarmer

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 16, 2012
4:33 PM

Post #9167895

Oh how cool!
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 17, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9168576

How many are there?

Thumbnail by BCH521

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9168584

Fabulous photos of the many caterpillars and cocoons, and newly eclosed butterflies. Great job Dale and Bruce!!!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9168688

Saw a BST passing thru this morning. You guys are making me envious - on the other hand, I can't imagine what I'd be doing if I had cats right now with all I've got going on. Keep up the good work!!!

A.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

June 17, 2012

Post #9168815

lepfarmer wrote:Evelyn -- It is one of the "Emeralds". I'm guessing Columbian Emerald Moth (Nemoria darwiniata).

Dale Clark

Is it from Columbia? In northern CA??
lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

June 17, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9169153

Evelyn: No, that's just the common name for it. It's definitely found throughout much of California.

Dale Clark
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 18, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9170049

This is getting way long, so I started a new thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1265681/

Thumbnail by BCH521   Thumbnail by BCH521

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2012
9:01 PM

Post #9172332

My butterflies have all but dissapeared. I'm so disappointed. I keep out butterfly brew for them plus lots of flowers are blooming now. I don't know where they have gone!! Somthing has been munching on my fennel, but I never see any cats there. The one that was there is now gone also. Just don't know what to think of it!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2012
10:17 PM

Post #9172374

Usually being inundated with BST'S and not seen even one this year in my gardens anywhere.There is a forlorn feeling with that,wondering why? Still I have Sulphers and Red Admirals every few days.
Those are some nice Monarch pic's I enjoy this thread ,A big thank you to all.

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2012
8:45 PM

Post #9177867

I had a BST on my flowers yesterday. It was in nice condition. It just flitted around checking out all the flowers. My zinnia's are blooming well and that is where a lot of my bf's go. Haven't had anything on the butterfly brew trays. Earlier in the spring they were covered with them. In early spring, there were so many I was ducking them so I didnt' get run into. lol Now, since they are scarce, I get excited when I see one.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
save the butterflies!!!!!! eyesoftexas 1 Mar 19, 2010 10:18 PM
Gulf Frittilary Caterpillar busy_bee_or 8 Sep 21, 2007 6:11 PM
University of Florida butterfly exhibit Night_Bloom 9 Apr 12, 2007 9:24 PM
What am I? konkreteblond 26 Jul 1, 2007 10:51 PM
What are these on my milkweed? margaran 31 May 1, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America