-
AuthorContent
ruza
Mantua, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2012
9:21 PM

Post #9117998

I have a low lying area that gets sun all day. It doesn't drain well remaining wet when the rest of the garden isn't.
Currently daylillys and cardinal flower are growing there. Siberian Iris and astilbe are further back, across the garden path, getting some shade from trees that make up the back of the border.
Any other perennial flowers for a damp area with a western exposure?
I live in NE Ohio. We can get alot of snow during the winter. I've lost plants to rot in this area of my garden.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 9, 2012
11:04 PM

Post #9118045

Here is some info for you

http://www.pwd.org/pdf/water_resources/conservation%20fact%20sheets/sun_and_wet.pdf

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/hort/ext/Pubs/HO/HO_227.pdf
ruza
Mantua, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9118278

Thanks for the links. I saw that your reply was posted at 1 in the morning. Appropriate name, themoonhowl.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 10, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9118328

You are welcome Ruza...the late night is a bit of a rarity these days, but fortunately most nights the moonrise is well before bedtime...GRIN

Moon
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

May 14, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9123435

There are many plants to suit your wet / damp conditions with sun and shade so here are some sugestions to research for your area.
Hosta's (some type)
Astilbe
Lisimachia.
Mimulus.
Polygonum M.
Zantedeschia M Aq.
Ranuncuus.
Primula.
These are just a few plants that would fit the bill for you but, I have given the plant name, within that type they are not all suitable for wet or sun so you should really check which plants say from the Hosta family that would suit the wet area you have as some would rot at the roots where as some thrive in damp shade, so do your research first and take note of the name, hight, sun / shade. colour ect so you dont waste lots of money not to mention time and dissapoinment later down the line. good luck and let us know how you get on as there are several ways / things to add to your soil that would also help like gravel will mabe help the drainage ect, but most important, just enjoy your new project.
WeeNel.
ruza
Mantua, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #9124699

Thanks for the suggestions WeeNel. I've found that when putting in new perennials /shrubs double digging down to the clay layer, removing it by the spade-full, refilling with a mixture of the top layer and some good organic matter has eleviated the "soup bowl" effect in most of the garden. Having had to relocate fequently, I'm now retired so hopefully this garden will be my last until I'm planted in the ground.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

May 15, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9124899

Your very welcome ruza, hope your project fulfills all your expectations, lets hope you have more holes to dig and more planting to see to before you reach the stage of going to seed yourself and being set out in the last resting place, like myself, all I ask of my family that the spot they choose will be fertile, beauty all around and ofcource, easy access so friends can visit ha, ha, ha.
Good luck, let us know how it all goes. WeeNel.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9125944

Ilex does well in wet areas
and here's a list after doing a search for wet tolerant plants
http://www.gardencrossings.com/index.cfm

This message was edited May 16, 2012 11:39 AM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America