Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: Asiatic Lily and a New Beggineg Gardinger

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 3, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DairyGoat
Edgar, MT

May 10, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #9118634

I just bought six Asiatic Lily "Tiny Sensation" Lilium Hybrid. Also I'm a New Begging Gardinger. Where can I find some information about this Lily. And the best time to plant, and where to plant it. I had though abought planting it along my drive way, Would that be a good place?
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 10, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9119020

Did you buy bare-root bulbs or potted plants? In either case, planting them out ASAP will be best, though much more critical if you bought bulbs. Asiatic lilies are extremely hardy and tough and undemanding... the most important considerations are full sun, and avoid any place where there might be standing water. That's about it!

This message was edited May 10, 2012 4:36 PM

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 10, 2012
8:50 PM

Post #9119335

Another point...add peat moss to the hole and mix with backfill. Also plant a few inches deeeper that listed.
Asiatic are wonderful for multipling. Leave at least 1/3 of the stem til after frost, carefully tug the stem. You should find many new baby bulbils have formed along the stem where it was in contact with the mother bulb, plant back in around the mother bulb just below the soils surface. It will probably take two years for the first blooms to appear. In approx five years you will have a nice patch, approx. 3ft X 3ft, having started from approx 5 bulbs. ( The stems of Asiatics will have bulbs and bulbils along the stem (underground), some may have even already seperated, those still connected gently pry off.
If you're looking for another great multipling lily, try Tiger lilies (the ones with the spots on the petals), these not only form new bulbs along the stem (underground) but they also form bulbils along the stems at the leaf nodes. As the summer goes on these will drop to the soil and sprout. When they form the first set of roots they atuomatically get pulled down to the proper depth, (magic).
Pix: my border, 45x100ft, just waking up for the seasom, last week. God, I hope to see some of my lillies blooming this year, not sure tho, there was a herd of deer in the garden this evening, D>>>!!!!!!!!

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Click an image for an enlarged view.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9119620

http://www.bulbblog.com/planting-oriental-and-asiatic-lilies/
http://www.gardenguides.com/67807-plant-asiatic-lily-bulbs.html

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America