I am witnessing something very gross going on so please read on only if you like insects alot ...
My apt unfortunately has flies. Some of the flies are really pretty large, like an inch (I'm in California) and make alot of sounds buzzing around. My dog caught one and it died. But wait. As it died, THINGS, little white maggoty wormy things exited its butt. There is currently the fly and maybe 25 if these alive, moving maggots.
I don't know, maybe its just the circle of life, from maggot to fruit fly? Or, its some fly looking bee. Or, it was getting eater alive by these parasite things ? And somehow they just all knew to exit when it died?
I do have a pic but am skeptical to upload it. I'm also scared to clean. Earlier this year, we had an infestation of these maggot things and it just smelled terrible, I don't really know what went on but I was not pleased.
I'm hesitant to answer this one, but, I'll give a shot. But first, I'm so sorry your lost your dog. That must be heartbreaking for you.
I really doubt eating a fly would kill your pet. Your dog may have had some sort of worm infestation before it ate the fly and, just by coincidence, died because of that or from some other reason. Have you had a vet check the dog?
OHMYGOODNESS the fly died, not my dog. my dog is perfectly alive and healthy. PHEW
I just said it because it was this buzzing around fly. Then all of a sudden it was dead, I was looking at it on the windowsill, and maggoty things just started coming out of it, it was quite sickening to watch.
That was it, exaxctly (confirmed by looking at google images). Thanks very much for your response, flapdoodle. I guess nature is a little less gross when you can have something scientific to hold onto.
haha I know. That is why I am kind enough to not upload them directly For the NOT faint of heart, only. lol
I do feel better about watching that happen, from IDing it.
But now I'm pretty grossed out because there are yet more flies in my apartment. Its a little hard to know what to do. I want to close all my windows and all, but I usually leave the glass door open for my dog to go the backyard. So these flies are probably going to be hanging out in the kitchen for the long summer :(
i had one of those screen door things with magnets. it actually worked! lol
i would check amazon and feedback for the different brands. i don't remember what mine was but it was fairly heavy/substantial.
this is a weird thought but then this is a weird thread...all those flies make me think something in the area may be dead. have you checked on your neighbors? any strange smells around?
most cities have laws about keeping dumpster lids closed and periodically being cleaned or inspected because of rats, etc.
if it turns out that it is the dumpster, you can complain of rats, even though you don't see them. that usually gets them on the ball to make improvements. a little white lie but one that may benefit everyone living in your complex.