AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9118729

It's THAT time again!!!

Every morning I drag myself to the kitchen cupboard to get a mug to fill with a special brown elixir (coffee, milk, no sugar), and I select a mug based on how I feel or how I WANT to feel.

For instance, I have a mug that says "No, I'm not a morning person - why do you ask?" I use this mug sparingly as it tends to send a message . . .. The mug with smiley faced hearts is always a winner, but there are days when nothing on my mug shelf catches my eye, or fits my mood. Does this describe YOU? If so, please join me as I host the Second Annual DG Mug Swap.

Like other group trades, you will receive a Dmail from me with the identity of your secret mug trading partner. I recommend not revealing your superman/woman identity until the swapping is complete. On this thread you can share your likes and dislikes so your partner might better get to know YOUR special elixir preferences, favorite color, caffeine or not, flavored or not, etc.

This is only a mug trade, but you are free to include items that might accompany a morning cup of ____________.

Kindly send me a dmail to confirm that you're "IN" with full name, email, address, and phone number. This will help folks give and get when it's time to swap.

Belly up to the bar, folks. Let the swapping begin. :D

Image courtesy Yanko Design:
http://store.yankodesign.com/mood-mugs

This message was edited May 26, 2012 12:29 PM

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Click the image for an enlarged view.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9118737

EDITED JUNE 1 TO SAY:

WE ARE CLOSED TO NEW PARTICIPANTS

Reserved for Participants:

* AmandaEsq (Amanda) drip coffee maker, I have a french press (!) a mill grinder (!) a Krups grinder (!) yeah . . . we like coffee. I like some flavored coffees and a good deep rich, but not too strong cuppa. We have discussed above some of the alcoholic beverages that have found their way into our cuppa! I like bright and happy colors, faces, flowers, critters, bugs. And chocolate. :D

* Mud_Elf (Kris) She and Ralph drink coffee. She likes fairies and sillies and oversized mugs best.

* Fruit of the Vine (Susan): ". . . [h]igh test. Grounds, a daily grind of beans, K-cups . . . fat-free Hazelnut creamer . . .."

* Careyana (Carey) "The sillier the bettter . . .."

* Joeswife (Debra)

* irisluvr0252 (Debbie) "Had a blast last year . . . need[s] a new mug!!!" :D

* rvnsbrk (Juanita/Neener) Drinks Kcups but don't need to send any. Mug - likes snarky or funny. :)

* Chickory31 (Kerrie) also likes oversized mugs - no color preference - words are okay - sarcasm is good. Also drinks tea.

* Crit (Patti) "needs a new mug!!!"

* Taters55 (Linda Kay) No strong coffees please; likes assorted hot chocolates and teas

* susanl61520 (Newbie/Crazy Susan) Drinks Folgers Black Silk with sugar and sometimes flavored creamers but NOT hazelnut. Likes mugs that are not tapered. She has started collecting mugs from around the country.

* LhasaLover (Tammie) Drinks tea, flavored coffee like vanilla nut, instant hot drinks. Likes "Pretty" and oversized mugs work best

*JSXTIGER (Joyce)

This message was edited Jun 1, 2012 8:31 AM

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9119221

ME FIRST.!!!!!! LOL

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9119265

You're it!!! Welcome girlie. Glad to have you.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9119292

I'm in! Carole was my buddy last year and sent such a great surprise box and it's still a toss up either reaching for her mug or the one Erin gave me for my birthday this year. Hubby and I drink high test. Grounds, a daily grind of beans, or K-cups all work. Black for him, fat-free Hazelnut creamer for me.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9119311

Hey Girlie! :)

I hoped you would find your way here. The mug from Erin must have been something! ;)

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 10, 2012
8:34 PM

Post #9119322

Coffee? Is there any question I need more mugs? The sillier the better! COUNT ME IN!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2012
8:40 PM

Post #9119329

gosh, i think I might want to do this, but I might be challenged by the trip I am taking... okay, I will try to mail out maybe from florida? I am in...

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 10, 2012
8:45 PM

Post #9119332

Debra, if there is one thing you will find along the way, it will be crazy mugs! The deep South is loaded with them. :)

Y'all are leaving soon, aren't you? When do you plan to swing through TX?

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2012
8:51 PM

Post #9119336

we aren't doing texas until later this fall, cuz we only have time for one trip at a time. I need to let my texans know this. I will let ya all know when the texas trip will be well in advance. Both my sister and I have to be at work on June 2nd, so we only have a week. we had florida planned before texas, and was going to take florida route thru texas and over, but not enough time.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 10, 2012
8:53 PM

Post #9119339

Well, you just let us all know when you're on your way! :)

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9119510

Whooooeeeyyy! What a great trip - Debra - don't let the mail/ship date fool ya. Last year there was a postal strike in Canada and Bettypause actually ended up trading in person I think in August or September. Omigosh. Then we had an in-person trade in Maine well in advance of the post date.

At that point you can contact your secret swap partner so they don't feel left out. Please say you're in! :D

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9119516

Hmmm . . . now there's a thought. What if Debra just HAPPENED to find a mug swap partner in Florida or in a state along the way . . ... :D
irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9119529

I'm IN! Had a blast last year...need a new mug!
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9119687

I'm In... Any mug that is snarky or funny. You know me.. We do K cups here, so I don't expect anyone to send me a box of them. Just a mug is good!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9119724

LK was my buddy last year and we use her mugs every day!!

I would love any cup sent, just plain old coffee is good as Ralphie will be drinking it. Would love over size mugs to use for my nightly cup of milk...

Love silly or fairy or...hummm..just love them all...heehee

Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9120012

I want in!
I'm actually a oversized coffee cup sort of person no color preferences as they usually end up in the greenhouse and everything matches out there, They can say stuff too. Sarcastic is good. If I trade with a tea drinker let me know, I love that also.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9120292

Too bad I gave away the two matching cups that said "Brain Damaged" and had realistic looking people looking a bit confused, holding their heads. When they were filled with a hot beverage, the words changed to "Dain Bramaged" and the people became stick figures 0:)

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9120293

Oh my - did your hubby not like drinking out of them? :D

Those shoulda been keepers!!!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 11, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9120348

Fruity, those mugs sound fantastic! I'd love to find something like that!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9120434

At the time, we were living in our 5th wheel, traveling with hubby's job, and never used the mugs except once when I filled them with hot water to watch them 'change'...lol Storage space in any camper is premo and ours was maxed out for breakables. Anyway, don't tell my SIL I gave them away, but the couple who have them still tell me how they laugh and look forward to using them occasionally with a hot cup of Java.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2012

Post #9120438

We've got a bunch of smart-alecks. My kind of crowd. I am so pleased to have found my niche here on DG. :D

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9120439

My lips are sealed. :D

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #9121027

LOL
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2012
9:24 AM

Post #9122096

I wanna new mug! Count me in, please.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2012
11:35 AM

Post #9122188

Only Amanda could get me to come out of Swap retirement for this. She's heard about my collection. :0)

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 13, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9122347

Why, I think everyone will agree that it wouldn't be as much fun without you Neener. You've been a faithful DG pal and trader. Everyone needs a little less responsibility sometimes. :)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 13, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9122534

Add my name too please? No strong coffee's please, but I love assorted hot chocolates and tea's.

This message was edited May 15, 2012 7:06 AM

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 13, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9122560

Yes ma'am - glad to see you here! :D
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2012
11:43 PM

Post #9122813

I would like to do this swap as my very first one here! I just joined DG tonight and really should be sleeping but here I sit... LOL

My elixir of choice is Folgers Black Silk made strong with some sugar and either plain creamer or whatever whimsical flavor I was in the mood for in the store (NO hazelnut tho!). I like a mug that isn't tapered cuz my coffee ends up cold before I get to the bottom! I have been attempting to collect mugs from around the country- something my mother used to do and gave up on when she had hundreds of mugs (but some I LOVED!! Like the one with the little frog on bottom looking up at you thru ur half drank coffee...)

I am newbie ehre, yes.
I typo alot, yes lol
I am zany and fun, but have a serious side (tho it often gets laughed at by my zany side)
My favorite color is purple and my favorite flower is Iris (all varieties!)

I have participated in swaps and round robins in other groups before and had a good time with it, so I am looking forwartd to doing this one too!

Ok, y'all can stop laughing now... *steps down off her soapbox*

*steps back up*

Get used to the soapbox, guys... I talk ALOT

*steps back down*
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #9122903

Oh Susan you are going to fit right in here. Welcome!!!
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 14, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9123202

Thanks rvnsbrk! Maybe I have finally found a group of ppl who not only tolerate my eccentricities but can even appreciate them! Wouldn't that be wonderful...

Even my son has a habit of replying "tl;dr" to my posts and emails. Translation of this is "too long; didn't read". U think he's telling me something? Oh well, doesn't matter... I just keep on typing away (cuz its an easy way to talk without having to worry about running out of breath- as long as my fingers don't hurt, I'm all good!)

So, this swap is one for one with one person, correct? Just making sure, because others I have been in have ranged from one person receiving many things from all participants, or one person sends something to a member, that member sends something to the next member and then it goes on thru the list that way until the last member sends the first member something cool. Then, of course there is the swaps where several small groups exchange things within that group. I'm just trying to get a feel for what terminology is used her for which type of exchange.

*looks around for my soapbox*

Eh screw it, I'm done blabbering anyway... later y'all!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 14, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9123405

Hey, Susan! Sounds like you'll find plenty of weirdos to hang with on DG. Amazing that you found us so quickly! But I myself was a newbie just last march finally paid my subscription to join after years of using DG as a source for plant information.

I joined my first swap - the houseplant/tropical swap which just closed to new participants - but I was overwhelmed with the kindnesses of fellow members. Soon enough I fell in with the people who tolerated and embraced my own eccentricities (if THAT's what you call them) and felt comfy enough to start a swap of my own near and dear to my heart - the mug swap!

Another Susan (Fruit of the Vine) was my swap guru (how do you, why, what, where, when, help?!) and it was so much fun I couldn't wait to do it again this year!

For everyone's information - I am using the "No I'm not a morning person . . .." mug this morning, and it was given to me by Neener last swap! Am I trying to send a message? Pity - no one here that can read the dang thing so the meaning is lost on all but me.

Raining here - have dogs to walk, dishes to clean, fuzzy hair to paste to my head somehow. Mondays are the worst - even worse at home than they were when I was working, perhaps. . . . nah, now that I think about it probably not, but we do a lot of living out of this house over the weekend and I can't be bothered with Mr. Clean until Monday morning.

Susan (UH OH - how will we distinguish the Susan(s) on our list).

Newbie Susan: I LOVE Folgers Black Silk. I was really taken aback when I brought that home the first time. Of course, the stuff ain't cheap - none of it is - so I happily accept whatever Court brings home. When I do the shopping, there are some flavored coffees I like, but I usually just drink mine with milk. No fancy creamers.

Okay I have to get up for another cup of coffee and shut this thing down. Welcome welcome welcome Newbie Susan and thank you so much for joining the mug swap. :)

Sending wishes for a groovy day to all!
xox
A.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 14, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9123411

Uh, and to answer your question - this is a swap where each participant will swap with one other participant. Swap partners selected at random by your host and monitored by the auditing firm Dewey Cheatem & Howe.
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2012
10:46 AM

Post #9123427

LOL
Susan I have one of those mugs with the frog in the bottom. So funny to give to the unexpecting Mwhaaa haha

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 14, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #9123527

Court's mom has a cute set of dishes with birds and flowers on them - I always say, "hey mom, there's a bug your plate." Lame. I want a bug mug.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2012
12:16 PM

Post #9123547

Oh how I miss the banter.. :0)

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 14, 2012
12:36 PM

Post #9123559

I am going to use my time in San Francisco wisely. Of course, Austin definitely has a funky vibe all its own too!

Oh boy oh boy. I'm going to find a dandy mug for someone!

And Susan, you fell in with the right crowd. Folger's Black Silk? I AM intrigued! I got so tired of Folger's coffee at my old office place. I swear we got the stuff rejected from normal sale it was so bad. Since I used to love it years ago, I'm going to have to hunt this stuff down and give it a try.
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 14, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9123717

Wow what warm welcomes coming from you all! Thanks so much for making me feel right at home!! The easy way to differentiate me from the other Susan in the group is to just add my last initial (it is part of my username, even) SusanL works for me :)

But then again, so does "Newbie Susan"... just as long as it is NEVER "Noob Susan"!!

The froggie mug was one of my favorites of my mom's, but she also had some other really cool ones... one was a coffee cup that was cut in half vertically and said "you asked for a half a cup of coffee" lol! She has two that were "boobie" mugs. One was a full torso from mid thigh to armpits... total nude- front and back (female of course) and the other was just the chest region, but when you tipped the mug the boobies moved too cuz they were on a wire swivel :)! I miss my mom's whimsical mugs...

Banter? Yea, I'm full of that (not to mention a few other things)...

I wish I could go to San Francisco... I would love it. I used to live in San Diego (for all of 3 months lol) but it was amazing! Vegas is awesome, and Colorado Springs is cool (as in cold lol). I lived in the Tulsa area for a good portion of my life, so it's like a second home to me there...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway...

I am glad I know my way around a computer and knew how to find y'all as fast as i did :)

careyana, I'll send you a small can of Black Silk if you can't find it... the stuff is AMAZING

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9123765

Dewey Cheatem & Howe...LOL!

Welcome Susan, from another Susan. Just call me Fruity or some form of the word people have made up (HA! not saying who) or call me plain-old FOTV.

Carey, know that one well from my office days, The stuff came in individual brewing packs, resembling fine bark and tasted about the same. IMHO...lol
Folgers Black Silk is very good for those of you who like a rich dark robust cuppa, like I do. Didn't go anywhere today but must have wanted to still I used my well-traveled Travel mug...some of you know it well :)

Speaking of dishes, I used to make homemade pizza a lot and have a set of pizza plates with different kinds of ingredients decaled on that you would traditionally include in one. Years ago in the dead of Winter, one of hubby's fishing buddies stopped by to thaw out after being on the lake all day in his John boat in the ice and snow. Had just taken hot pizza out of the oven and that boy scarfed down half of it and tried to eat the pepperoni decaled on the plate!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 14, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9123867

Well, I've seen "Texas" mugs that use a spur for the handle, ones in the shape of 10 gallon hats, cactus, and the ever-famous 'Lone Star'.

Amanda, if you want a bug mug, I can take one of my mugs and smush some beetles all over it? They're horrible this year!

Susan, this is my first trip ever. I'm sooooooo excited! Especially since it's supposed to be 90 here...and only 65 there. :) I have some friends who live in San Diego that I will need to visit some day! I'm sure I'll be able to find the Black Silk here. Thankfully my coffee maker (kcup) comes with the self strainer. Robust coffee...yummmmmm.

Exactly Fruity! That stuff was godawful! Actually, I shouldn't use His name there it was so bad.

OMG I just got the joke. Dewey Cheatem & Howe ROFL!!!!
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 14, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9123972

Yea, I kind of suspected the Dewey Cheatem & Howe was a joke but I must admit, I gave y'all the benefit of the doubt... I DOUBT I make that mistake again lol!!

I just came from the store to buy the fixings for a Mexican feast for dinner tonight (my hubby was raised in El Paso and Tex-Mex just doesn't cut it lol) I just happened to pick up a small can of Folger's Black Silk... I suppose I should just hang onto it for whoever I get in the exchange- right?

Are there ever any chain swaps? Where a series of ppl mail things to the next and the last mails to the first? Those are always fun, and drawn out if you let the participants wait on the package before forwarding to the next... As you probably guessed, If there isn't one already, there will be soon LOL

Susan I think I will call you FruitySuzie LOL
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 14, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9123981

Oh, and btw... rvnsbrk you don't have to miss the banter anymore... I am always around lol

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 14, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9123994

Wow. I missed a lot today! We built a half wall between the tinyliving room to the just a little bigger kitchen today. We also finally have the bathroom marked out. I have to go to the old house tomorrow to get the other bathroom stuff so we can build the walls there too, as we will not be able to bring the sink in once the walls are built!!!

Drinking from my Texas milk mug right now..sure wish I had a cookie to go with my milk...sigh...but no oven yet. Soon I hope...

Welcome SusanL to our crazy group. You sound like you will fit right in!!!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 14, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9123999

(((((( Neener ))))))). I have missed you girl!!!!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 14, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9124017

Someone really thinks we hire auditing firms to monitor our swaps? Geez. How did I get by with that one?!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 14, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9124032

Huh?????????
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9124044

You're getting there, Elfie. Like my Mother used to say, "Rome wasn't built in a day." I had one chocolate chip cookie for you after lunch today. I'd much rather eat fruit like the Mango yesterday. First time I'd ever eaten one and it was so juicy and delicious I sucked the seed over the sink.

Manda, that made up name sounded like one of those firms you despised working for. Can I say that? 0:)

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 14, 2012

Post #9124081

Froot you can say ANYTHING. :D

Actually, on Public Radio there is a syndicated program called "Car Talk." 2 Brothers take calls about broken car issues and it's the funnies thing on the radio. Their studio is in Harvard Square, Cambridge, MA, and on the facade of their offices are the names Dewey Cheatem & Howe. They make light of it on their show when they read the credits at the end.

They read it quite phonetically too. Love it.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2012
11:19 AM

Post #9124885

Sitting in the Emergency room with Sarah,, I drove down here with the hopes of her helping me load the car and here we sit waiting to see if her appendix has rupptured,,,sigh. So I might be here for a few days just to make sure she is ok.
Will check in later to update everyone,,, Crystal I will not be there to see you today after all.
Sorry...

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 15, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9125000

Oh Kris, sorry to hear that! Hope it is not her appendix!
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #9125647

LOrdy be, did I miss checking in yesterday?? You all are a true hoot.

First off you can call Fruity, Fruitcake, Fruit Loops. Carmen, Sooz, or a myriad of other things. We are so footloose here.
Fruity I can't believe you never at a mango before. Good grief. I dehydrate them by the ton here when I can get good ones. Dried they are the sweetest things you'll ever eat and good for you too.

Elfie hope you daughter is OK. The appendix thing is a no brainer these days. Amazing what medical science can do when they aren't trying to kill you.

Newbie Susan you can call me Neener or Nita, or PIA (pain in the A**) whatever suits your mood..

Thanks for the call Manda Panda you always make my day.

Well I guess the dog would be gratified if I left her out this morning. Need to take a walk around the palatial estate and see what got torn up or eaten last night.

Later peeps,
N

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #9125656

-sigh-

I told Court I would walk the giant puppy so he could have some of his life back. He seemed relieved, but I will be drinking a lot more coffee. I am already on the second pot!!!

A.
jsxtiger
(jax) Dundalk, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #9126366

Howdy yall! i wanna beez in, peas! jist came from under the table, ta git refill...an realized i could use a larger mug! wouldn't have ta come out so often!!! yall knows how i's luvs me cuppa Baileys! If truth be told, i also consume teas, coffee, Pink things and Smirnoff!!! so, a mug biggst enuff ta accomdate all of above would bring a smile to this ol lady's face.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9126394

Would you like little umbrellas to go with your cuppas?
jsxtiger
(jax) Dundalk, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9126480

kin i?????????? ol great fruity????
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9126519

"Swap partners selected at random by your host and monitored by the auditing firm Dewey Cheatem & Howe."

So we shall see, Jax!

Have any of you tried the fairly new Bailey's fat free coffee creamer? I haven't, just curious if it lives up to its name.
jsxtiger
(jax) Dundalk, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9126543

"tis soooo good"!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9126551

A friend who quit drinking recently has been sending me home with bottles of liquor. Last week I came home with coffee flavored Kahlua, and Court didn't know what to do what it. I don't drink the stuff. Anyway.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9126573

One of my SIL's favorite drinks when she visits is Kahlua IN her coffee and is the only reason I keep a small bottle of the stuff.
Now, a White Russian or a Black Russian is a whole other story. Haven't had either for years. Ya'll believe me, right?

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9126578

Sounds suspicious to me Froot, but some others on this list have spent more QUALITY time with you than I have. ;)

With other Kahlua flavors my friend sent over he made decaff coffee. So he didn't know how to drink the coffee flavored stuff.

NOW . . . when I was in college I discovered peppermint schnapps with my hot cocoa. Mmmmmm. -sigh-

A.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9126661

Way back when I lived near San Fran, my boyfriend and I used to go to Giants and 49'ers games. He always snuck in a flask of peppermint schnapps we added to cuppas of hot cocoa bought from a vendor's stand. Good stuff and dredged up old memories I hadn't thought about for a long time.

After a sickening Bourbon experience when I was young and dumb in college, I vowed never to drink any kind of dark liquor...ever again.

Speaking of San Fran, you should be there by now, Carey.
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 16, 2012
9:04 PM

Post #9126737

You guys really are a hoot... I love to be a part of such a crazy group- and so fast!!

I haven't been around much lately (can we request that some brilliant computer genius whiz kinda person makes us a mobile app so we can keep up with all of our craziness?) because I forgot it was time for my husband to have a couple days off. He tends to think that when he has days off, we need to do all the things he has put off during the week while he worked (and by "we", I mean "I" lol).

I went to meet some ppl I bought some stuff off of on facebook yesterday and got one of those AMAZING pecan chicken salad sandwiches from Arby's... went back today (the town that has an arby's is an hourish away) and got 3 new holes put in my body... and another amazing arby's chicken salad sandwich lol

Does anyone here take plant cuttings and clone them with rooting hormones?

Does anyone use aquariums like little greenhouses?

Im kinda curious to see if I am on the same page as anyone lol (other than our mutual love for coffee, of course)

As for the Bailey's thing, why would anyone bother with a artificial creamer when you can use real bailey's irish cream and real cream for your coffee? I mean, seriously, why go for fake when the real is SOOOO good!??!

Booze we used to sneak into places with: my personal favorite was root beer schnapps and sprite... it smelled like root beer, tasted like root beer and got u drunker than chaos! yea, good times...

Sorry to hear about the appendix... hope all works out good for her!

CrazySue
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2012
3:22 AM

Post #9126864

Manda has me on probation and she is watching me, so I'll go stand in the corner and finish packing. :))

Mom got me some of that Baileys creamer and it is pretty good. not the Fat Free kind, the regular. Also have developed an affinity for the Cinnabon variety. That is pretty yummers too.

As for alcohol, you all know me. i'll drink anything except Galliano. Frootz can attest to the fact that we make a mean margarita around here. :0)

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2012
5:40 AM

Post #9126929

And all this fits into a simple mug.

'nuff said. :D

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9127003

I agree on the creamer, why use it when the real stuff taste so much better!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9127101

I guess it's the calories that get me. I don't watch my weight very much, and I tend to eat larger portions than I should (HA!) but the very easy and obvious calories to avoid are heavy creams, butter, mayonaise, well the stuff that makes everything taste good. :/

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #9127336

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1257034/

Coma and check out the raise my baby swap. It is always lots of fun!
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9127475

Ugh I would rather work in the garden longer than to give up cream and butter!!!

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9127554

How I totally agree, Kerrie. We eat a lot of homemade soups and stews in cool weather and the only palatable substitute I've found to use in them instead of heavy cream is plain Greek Yogurt. sshhh, don't tell Hubby.

Mean margueritas they were, Neener! The absolute best I've ever 'drunk'...lol Bet you're getting ready to fly across the pond ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ have a fabulous time!

I will not give up butter and around here Duke's mayo rules. There's nothing better than a fat slice of a homegrown tomato with S&P slapped between two pieces of bread slathered with Dukes. As a small consolation, the main reason we keep sugar in the house is for Hummer food. Can't bake worth a toot unless it's pies and even then I cheat and use store-bought crusts.

CrazySue, me me me taking cuttings and cloning plants, at least I try to. Never have eaten one of those yummy sounding sandwiches from Arby's, but one of their Jamocha shakes on a hot day really hits the spot.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #9127567

o hell. you made me "hungry" for a milkshake from CookOut here in NC.

Look at the list of flavors on the menu, far right:

http://www.cookoutnc.com/index.php?action=menu

Watermelon is my favorite, but it's only available in July and August.

gaahhhhhh...
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9127794

I have tried to stay out of swaps to save money since I am unemployed with zero income but just can't stand it... this sounds like fun so I am IN! It can't be too expensive to ship a mug. I have a little income from my online business... made $50 last week! It was a big week. LOL

I love Kahlua with milk over crushed ice. I called it my 'chocolate milk' when my mother and grandmother were were dancing around the kitchen singing it's 5 oclock somewhere preparing their bloody marys, I made a kahlua and milk... druing our summer vacations at my grandmothers..that was way back in the early 80's. so much fun. (long before the song came out)

I heard about the easiest snack in the world last week and gave it a try... 3-2-1 cake Made with angel food cake mix and then any other type of cake mix as the flavor. I used carrot cake mix since that is moms favorite. Mix both dry cake mixes into a container (I used a gallon zip lock bag)
measure 3 tablespoons of the dry mix into a microwave safe container (I used an 8 ounce square storage container)
2 tablespoons water, mix well
microwave for 1 minute

You have a single serving of fresh cake! It is sooo simple, fresh and easy it is dangerous. You can have cake any time because the powder cake mix keeps in the cabinet.. no need to refrigerate. Put a little cool whip or ice cream on top and enjoy. It is a little spongy due to the anglefood cake and I added finely chopped walnuts and extra cinnamon to the big bag of mix... lots of cinnamon actually, because the angelfood mix sort of makes the flavor weak... yummy! I took little 3 x 4 inch zip lock baggies and prepackaged about 15 servings with 2 microwaveable containers and a little can of butter cream icing, put them in a yellow basket and gave them to mom for mothers day. Well, guess what we have been eating every night for a snack while watching TV!???? LOL She is in total love with her little cakes.

Again... dangerously EASY.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9127799

awwwohhhhh Tammie yer killin' me!!!!! :(

I want cake. Seriously have frownie face going on here right now. I'd kick and scream on the floor if I thought anyone would notice. Or give me cake.
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2012

Post #9127823

The 2 cake mixes actually made about 23 individual servings... you can have cake ANY TIME YOU WANT! It's about 150 calories per serving before you add toppings. Not too bad. Something to eat with your hot cup of coffee.

I hear the chocolate is really good. Just mixed some today but have not tried it yet. I chopped up pecans in it! I am bad. What can I say... the carrot cake is over at moms house.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9130081

I haven't found my mug yet. I'm still looking...
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2012
9:52 PM

Post #9130139

OMGoodness! I was back a cpl days ago and thought I posted something here, but it isn't here! My computer is giving me fits lately, I'm thinking its time for it to get an overhaul (u know, run the virus scanner and defrag it since I am constantly installing and uninstalling stuff lol)

I had another chicken salad sammich today LOL (i think I am officially hooked)

I don't use Greek Yogurt in things, tho I have considered it- just don't care much for the price. I like to use fat free cream cheese instead. It gives it a creamy goodness kick in the pants and is fat free too... plus just a bit of tang you can't find with any other product! It is amazing in lasagne in place of the ricotta too (but i aalso add some parm)

Yea... we DO get off topic here hmm? That's what makes it fun!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2012
11:45 PM

Post #9131401

Hi susan, welcome to the group, looks like you have fit right in!

susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 21, 2012
9:33 AM

Post #9131945

Thanks Wife! I like to think of myself as a chameleon that can fit right in ANYWHERE (just watch for me in your garden LOL)!

I was just thinking last night of one of my favorite recipes to go with coffee... who likes CHEESECAKE!?!?

Better question would be "Who likes EASY Cheesecake?" lol

This is my own recipe... pretty sure it isn't from a cookbook or anything, but since I am always looking thru them, I may have spotted it and then just thought it was my own recipe when I made it lol

Super Easy No-Bake Redneck Cheesecake

3 boxes cream cheese (can be generic or even fat free)
1 can Eagle brand milk (they have fat free/sugar free)
1/2 tub cool whip (they have a light version)
2 graham cracker crusts 9" each

Let cream cheese get to room temp - or microwave about 45 seconds. Mix with mixer on high with Eagle brand milk until not lumpy anymore. Add 1/2 tub of Cool Whip and mix on low or by hand until blended well. Pour into crusts, cover and refrigerate. In my family, each pie serves 1 LOL

Variations:

The thing I love about this recipe is that it is SO incredibly versatile.

1- You can add in 1/8 tsp of any flavor of powdered kool aide mix into the milk (not the kind that is already sweet) and can add more if you want for taste adjustment.

2- Add 1 can pumpkin puree with the cream cheese and a dash of cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg for the holidays

3- Stir in broken oreos and put in chocolate cookie crust. Top with chocolate ice cream topping.

4- Add 1/2 to 1 cup peanut butter to the mix and pour into chocolate crust. Top with mini reeses cups cut into quarters (or reeses pieces). Reese's cups cut easiest when cold.

5- (My personal favorite) As you are putting the filling into the crust, fill half way then LIGHTLY drizzle butterscotch ice cream topping on the entire surface of the filling then fill the rest of the way up with filling. This kind is VERY rich and should be sliced in very small pieces lol

6- Citrus Delight- add 1 tsp each of frozen orange juice concentrate, and frozen lemonade concentrate and 1/8 tsp each of orange and lemon peel all to the cream cheese/ milk step. Topping this with pieces of candied orange and lemon slices makes it VERY classy (and not so "redneck lol)

As you can see, the possibilities are endless on this... hell throw some Bailey's into it and put it in a chocolate pie crust... who needs creamer? LOL

LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #9132510

Oh, Susan, you are soooo mean... I mean that in a very nice way... cheese cake if my ultimate weakness. I used to make one similar using a grahm cracker crust, one can of eagle brand milk, one 8oz cream cheese, and lemon juice... done! I think that was all in the recipe. It was waaaay too easy. I am the queen of easy. Yours sounds extra fluffy and absolutely wonderful.

I finally pulled out my little espresso machine last night... had forgotten how much I enjoyed it... fresh ground beans... frothed milk.. vanilla creamer in the milk... I can get back into that habbit very quickly. Good thing caffine does not bother me.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9132593

OH MY GAWD.

Court brought home fudge covered golden oreos. :(

susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9133351

Tammy i thought i was being nice by including the low fat/ lower sugar versions! lol

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #9133476

My goodness you all have been a chatty bunch since I have been MIA doing the yard and flower beds from sunup to sundown and sometimes after with the help of a bright light that DH has. lol

Folgers Black Silk is da bomb!!!!! I have to mix a little decaf in it for medical reasons so I don't get too much caffine, but it is my favorite. I don't do flavored coffee's because I like the creaminess of half and half or flavored creamers. Can't wait to see my mug for this year!

Will have to go back and read all the new posts. Welcome New Susan. You'll fit right in here!
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9133661

Thanks Crit :)
jsxtiger
(jax) Dundalk, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2012
3:12 AM

Post #9134644

omg! took me fav cup outside yesterday for a relaxing sit-me-down. somehow i stumbled, and ta keep from falling... dropped me cup of baileys's. it cracked, and all me loverly drink was on the concrete! i immediately went down on the ground too(forgit bout bad back) (beleive i nearly blacked out from the trauma of seeing me baileys rolling across the ground). but, i was trying ta scoop up that bootiful liquid gold...and, and...yes! i admit it! i was going ta drink it!!!! me dtr. tried pulling me up, but i was resistant to leave me exirir jist laying there...unwanted, unloved while seeping in the ground! her thought i was physically hurt! an i was...me heart was broken! an now, tis morning...me back is talking, i'm crying over me loss, an me's thirsty! an i need a new fav mug!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2012
5:00 AM

Post #9134694

Oh Jax, sorry you dropped your favorite cup, but you need to take care of that back too! The liquid gold is replaceable!
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #9134738

Jax sorry to hear of the cup and coffee abuse. Hope you are OK.
My husband got my favorite mug out of the cupboard and ate cereal out of it, That is heresy!
My daughter just looked at him and said "What are you doing!" I just looked at him...

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9134864

Oh my gawd. I am so sorry Jax. But I laughed out loud at the image of you on the ground slurping your elixir and your daughter trying to pull you off of it.

-sigh-

Ladies you do bring me joy.

Kerrie - I laughed at you too. :)

Have a great day! I'm using heart shaped smiley faces today so it must be a good one!

xox
A.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9134946

Happy Birthday Carey! Hope you have a great day!

Thumbnail by taters55

jsxtiger
(jax) Dundalk, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9134970

...irreplaceable thar, LK, irreplaceable!
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #9135083

I be back on this continent finally. OY! Glad to be here is all I can say. Think I need another nap. Jet lag is a real bugger. :0)

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2012
9:38 AM

Post #9135094

Welcome back Neener! :)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9135316

Glad your back with us Neener! Hope you had a good trip!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9135559

Glad you're home, Neener. It just ain't the same around here without you.

LOL Jax, your tale cracked me. Baileys and cups can be replaced but not your back. Take it easy.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #9136055

FruitOfTheVine wrote:Glad you're home, Neener. It just ain't the same around here without you.

LOL Jax, your tale cracked me. Baileys and cups can be replaced but not your back. Take it easy.

Amen to that
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2012
3:46 AM

Post #9136221

Gee it's nice to be missed. :0) I'm gald to be back in the land of the living. Nice night's sleep last night and I think I may be almost normal. Or as normal as I get. Shut up Amanda...:P

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9136373

(sitting here minding my business!!!)
irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9136464

LOL...too funny!
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9136595

I gave up trying to be normal so long ago, Im not even sure I know what "normal" is anymore!

On a bonus note, i have some plugs coming today that i ordered from http://www.ncfarmsinc.com/store/ !! I am soooo excited!! I ordered two trays of 105 plugs each... Im getting a houseplant collection that has 7 different kinds of plants in it and a super foliage tray with 7 different kinds of outdoor foliage plants in it!! I keep watching my the front of my house for them to arrive!!!

Btw, should I post my address someplace for this (and other) exchanges? I dont quite know my way around, yet :)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2012
9:37 AM

Post #9136610

Susan, go to the home page, and click on the extra tab at the top, then click on DG address exchange, then click where it says... Click here to edit your listing. Add your info, then we can find your address.
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9136641

Done!! I am officially a part of the swaps now :)
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9136693

Susan I used to order from NC Farms all the time when I was in business. Their stuff is usually pretty good and a good price.
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9136842

yea, i got several plugs of 14 varieties for only $160 ish including shipping... once they grow a bit more, i should be able to pull in some good money from them... what i love about plants is that i can take one or 2 and turn it into thousands
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #9136844

I think I may have found just the right mug for my partner...

Thumbnail by susanl61520

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9137055

HOW ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!

The address exchange is easy to find.

http://www.davesgarden.com/address_exchange

That is how I always direct peeps to it.
jsxtiger
(jax) Dundalk, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9137199

omg! now that's the kinda cup i's want! aint he precious!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9137232

awwwww...a teacup pup in a cup. Did ya'll see the mug has a froggie on it?

A lot of annuals in my hanging baskets and also planted in containers last year came from NC Farms. I distinctly remember having a fun dividing party and missed it this year :(

Jax, you twisted my arm and I picked up Bailey's creamers today at the grocery store on sale 3 fer $5. I'll letcha know which one I try first thing in the morning. I've been using Nestle's Hazelnut fat free creamer for years, hope these are just as good.

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2012
5:14 AM

Post #9137743

Froots you are going to love those Bailey's creamers. My Mom turned us on to them. She gets creamer for me when i visit even though she doesn't use it and then sends it home with me. She is such a bad influence. :0)
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9137923

I use to use the Hazelnut, then switched to the vanilla caramel. I don't even care for the hazelnut anymore. :-)
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #9138136

Enablers all of you. =P
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9138152

Crit, I was the same way.. don't understand why we burn out on the hazelnut. My mother adds hazelnut flavor to her 2 liter bottles of diet pepsi... you can't imagine the shock when I have poured a glass expecting pepsi and tasted pepsi/hazelnut... yuck!

These mugs we trade are going to be so much fun weather they are funny, silly, pretty or just plain strange. They will all be associated with stories from garden friends.

susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2012
12:55 PM

Post #9138327

I'm thinking maybe the mug I send could have a plant in it :)

I also have access to a website where I can upload an image and put it on a mug... then have it shipped directly to the recipient... I am thinking of going that direction, too... but then it wouldnt have a plant in it... maybe on it instead?

idk, just throwing some ideas out there!

whoever's name i get may get a mug with a pic of me mooning them on it... lol
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9138362

LOL ... you 'crack' me up! The plant idea is great. I am having a difficult time keeping much of anything alive the past couple of years. This drought has been so difficult on everything.
jsxtiger
(jax) Dundalk, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9138628

...since i dont have a cup...kin ya pour some in me hand?????????
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9138736

Ya'll can have the Bailey's creamer I tried this morning. Fat free original flavor is way to sweet for my tastes. Maybe the French Vanilla and Toffee Almond won't be.

Do any of you remember the very first cup of coffee you ever drank? Back in the day, there weren't a lot of choices and my Mom brewed a pot of Maxwell House when she had time to relax, which wasn't very often. Mostly she reached for the jar of Taster's Choice instant 'granuals'...lol and finally gave in to my begging for a cup of Maxwell House when I was 10. It was out secret until my teenage years and have been a coffee fanatic ever since, just not for Maxwell House or any instant varieties...lol

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9138742

Froot - my old babysitter "Nana" loved her coffee crystals and drank morning noon and night after the tv went off. I got old enough to make her her coffee, but I don't remember drinking it actually as a practice until I was in college.

I had a pretty wide array of friends and a Columbian kid used to make this syrupy brew in one of those percolators on the stove burner. They watched with fascination as I just drank the stuff straight - I would say - "I'm drinking this crap to keep me up all night. No sense trying to dress it up." They would watch me bounce off the walls for HOURS. Good GOD that was powerful stuff.

Got to law school and mammy bought me my first thermos. I loved that thing. It kept me and my lab partner awake thru Tax I and Tax II. Miss my thermos.

Thanks for the memories.
A.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9138777

Now, Manda, I just can't imagine you bouncing off the walls...lol "Just saying!" Good memories for sure, girlie.

I still have my Dad's old Aladdin thermos he toted to work, now safely stowed in one of my lower kitchen cabinets and is a reminder of him when I drag out the crock pot or need my coffee bean grinder. That man never was a coffee drinker but he could have filled an ocean with all the sweet brewed Lipton ice tea he drank during his lifetime. You know it's called ice tea in the South, not iced tea, and unless you request unsweetened tea, you can bet your boopie it's gonna be sweet syrup.
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2012

Post #9138802

Im sure this exchange is gonna be fun... as for the plant idea, i would not send anything for outside, it would be a houseplant... the weather of late is just too volatile!

I have ideas aplenty... sweet tea recipe... my favorite coffee... some chocolate covered coffee beans... a choc covered sipping spoon to stir into your favorite brew... a custom made mug... and moonpies :)

im not sure if the person who's name i get is gonna laugh hard or say WTF? when they open my box lol

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9139175

You gals are a hoot. Gave me a giggle this morning.

Don't really remember my first coffee. Mom would give me sips of hers with creamer in it.

I do remember however, when I took my son, age 5, to a doctor because of his hyper-activity. He just bounced off the walls. Dr. said to give him all the coffee or tea that he wanted, because the caffine worked the opposite on hyper active children. I asked him "won't the coffee stunt his growth?" (I had always heard that) He said no, it was an old wives tale. Well, it worked! And if it did stunt his growth, I'm glad! He is 6' 7" . lol

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 26, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9139227

Most meds work the opposite on hyper kids. My Grandson is very hyper, and the Dr. Gave him meds to suppress him, and it made him worse. So finally a new Dr, gave him meds to make him hyper, and it slowed him down. And you can forget cough syrups at bedtime when he is sick, they wind him up and he is dancing the night away!
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 26, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #9139336

hey quick note- are any of you in the vegas area?

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2012
10:28 AM

Post #9139377

LIKEs cure LIKEs is a law of homeopathic medicine also. [Edited out of context per Kerrie's post, below]. :D

Man - I've been outside watering with the can so I put it where it goes to conserve. Been at it for hours, and I just came in. It's rather warm. HA.

There's an understatement, but me in my Ivy League gardening outfit with a black long-sleeve button down cotton shirt, well you get what you get.

New/Crazy Susan - I think you've got the exactly right idea. Except maybe the mug with a picture of your bum on it. LOL - just made me remember - Court sent me a picture early early on when photos over the internet were just people saying "send me a picture" online. Ha ha - he worked at the homeless shelter where people had to check in and have their photo taken. Court took a close up picture of the inside of his bent elbow and it looked like . . .. :D

Anyway. The month has flown by!!! I am going to push back the ship date on the swap to June 15 to give everybody a chance to collect and send the perfect mug/package to their swapEE. If not for you, then for me, since I don't get out much and haven't even started looking.

Hope that doesn't inconvenience anyone. I know Debra is on her journey and this may help her too.

PLEASE NOTE: SHIP DATE FOR MUG SWAP EXTENDED TO JUNE 15

A.

This message was edited May 27, 2012 1:54 PM
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 26, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9139460

AWESOME! This gives me plenty of time to get a cool mug created! When will we get our partner's name so we can shop/ scavenge for the perfect mug for them?

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 26, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9139530

I found something to send yesterday. *whew* One swap down, two to go!

Amanda, You haven't sent names yet I hope??? If you did...uh oh.

CrazySusan, DH has family out there, and we visit a couple of times a year. Are you looking for something specific?

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9139593

Nope - deadline to sign up is 5/31 and swap partner secret identities will be issued to each participant by our auditing firm on 6/1. Boxes to ship on or before 6/15 per executive order today. :D

xox
A.
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 26, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9139665

Carey i have a young friend who moved out there on a shoestring and just needs some hospitality. thought id see if i could find someone willing to go pick her up and feed her... maybe pass on some hand me downs to her- she just got an apt yesterday and has one blanket... and her rucksack

she left an abusive situation and went where she thought she would be able to make it on her own...

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 26, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9139712

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1261043/

New swap just opened, come and check it out! Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9139771

New/Crazy Susan - I know a very kind woman on another thread in the propagation forum who is in NV. I can make an introduction between you by Dmail if you like.

A.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 26, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9139855

CrazySusan - they live in Henderson, about 20 minutes outside of Las Vegas. I can get in touch with them to find out who she can turn to.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who think Las Vegas will be a good place to go to recover...but it's a very expensive city. :(

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 26, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9139887

And btw, thanks LK for the wonderful birthday wishes! :D
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9139896

That's a tough situation, Susan. I wish only the best for your friend and imagine she's feeling very lonely and alone being in a strange City and needs all the encouragement she can get, and a network of friends and a job to help boost her self-esteem. If she doesn't have the appropriate attire for a job or an interview, please let her know there's a chapter of Dress for Success near her:
http://dressforsuccess.org/affiliate.aspx?sisid=131&pageid=1

As large as Vegas is, I'm sure there are places she can go for meals at no charge, like homeless shelters and soup kitchens. Those places might sound demeaning, but she wouldn't be hungry and would have a chance to network, make friends, and possibly get leads for jobs. At least she has a roof over her head and am so proud she had the courage to leave her abuser and start fresh.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #9139965

Does she know a blade of grass from a flower? Maybe this DG friend would put her on her landscaping "crew". She can never find good help.
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 26, 2012
8:34 PM

Post #9139991

Amanda, she is pretty quick to pick up new things, so I would say even if she doesnt, she would know within the first day or so. Fruity- i will pass that info on to her :) And carey, I used to live in Henderson myself, I know (and miss) the place... lived at the base of Black Mountain :) and i would greatly appreciate any and all advice you can get for me for her- my info is all outdated!
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #9139998

Lots of jobs available here like waitress, stores, etc. They can't find enough people to work. Stores have to close early or close parts of restaurants because they can't find people to work. They are building apartments as fast as they can here to provide housing. All hotels and motels are 100% full also. There are help wanted signs up EVERYWHERE. I have never seen anything like it. The biggest problems most places have hiring is that most applicants can't pass drug tests!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2012
8:43 PM

Post #9139999

HA! I'm on the next bus to Odessa. All my meds are legit. :D
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 26, 2012
8:45 PM

Post #9140001

unfortunately, LL, that's a sign of the times we live in... if only she had gone to odessa instead of vegas!
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 26, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9140002

lmfao amanda!! IKR?!?!
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 26, 2012
9:00 PM

Post #9140006

Amanda, I just talked to my friend, please proceed... I think your friend will not be disappointed :)

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2012
9:02 PM

Post #9140009

I've already sent her a Dmail.

Whaddoes IKR oooo "I can relate"?

yeah well. I can pass a test. I will Dmail you off-thread. :)

A.
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 26, 2012
9:07 PM

Post #9140013

ikr = "i know, right?"

and thanks :)

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2012
9:23 PM

Post #9140024

thank YOU. I can always use some new abbreviation that no one else will understand. ;)

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2012
9:24 PM

Post #9140026

AND MORE COFFEE!!!
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 26, 2012
10:20 PM

Post #9140045

well, in that case... perhaps you should ponder the meaning of the letters atm

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 26, 2012
10:25 PM

Post #9140049

How about NM and IDK?
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 26, 2012
10:45 PM

Post #9140057

i know both of those... what about neway?
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9140195

Oh god, now they are speaking their own language. I was warned that the aliens had come. :0)
jsxtiger
(jax) Dundalk, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9140368

...huh? he went whattaway? yall done went and loss me!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9140391

Still more coffee. Maybe that will help.
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9140428

nm= nevermind

idk= i dont know

atm= at the moment

now y'all speak alien too!
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2012
11:36 AM

Post #9140574

Amanda,
"Opposites is a law of homeopathic medicine also."
I will have to correct you on this . It is "similia similibus curantur" (like cures like). Sorry, I use a Homeopath and she would wet her pants if she saw your post LOL
Here is a very good site for finding remedies http://www.abchomeopathy.com/homeopathy.htm

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9140595

No - I use them a lot but don't pretend to know a lot about the science that underlies. I guess I meant to say likes instead of opposites. It's hard to explain how a bee sting or certain swelling can be "cured" by using apis mellifica, a substance that comes from bees.

I suppose I stopped trying to use my brain a while back. Thanks for setting me straight. :)

I have a homeopath in NYC who helps me with my critters, and she would have slapped me too. -sshhhhh-

http://www.pets4homeopathy.com/

A.
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9140712

UhOH I won't get you in trouble I promise. =)
what would she suggest to treat the pain from the slap she would inflict on you? JK

Kerrie

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9142487

She would probably open up a can of whooopass to treat the slapping.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9142548

Have any of you used Paper Remedies? I know there's a lot of doubt on the Net about using them, but every Spring small ants just show up especially in our kitchen and they also make a bee line to the pet food bowls outside. My old timey neighbor calls them 'sweet ants'. They're black and are really small. Does anybody else have them? Using the advice of a sage here on DG, I stuck several pieces of post-it notes marked "ANTS 6X" every few inches. As crazy as it sounds, the paper remedy worked in just a couple of days. The results were downright freaky, and we haven't seen any ants since except for a couple of stragglers.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 28, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9142562

Fruity, yes, among others! Those are called "sugar ants" around here. They're a nuisance but harmless. I'd take them any day over the newest mess we have. :/ http://www.statesman.com/news/local/rasberry-crazy-ants-starting-to-appear-in-williamson-2329518.html?fb_ref=homepage

I have samples from our front room to send in tomorrow. Yuck.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2012
9:02 PM

Post #9142598

That's really interesting Froot- sticky, but not sticky enough to do any harm. Are you serious - just post it notes?

The word "Ants 6x"?

Is this a product that you purchase? This spring they were pretty bad here in the house, and as you know I won't kill them if I can help it. Annoying, but harmless agreed.

Tell me more about yer paper solution.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2012
3:47 AM

Post #9142752

Yellow post its?? A lot of insects are drawn to yellow. I used to use those sticky trap things for the fungus gnats. They are yellow. Every year we have an ant deal too, but ours are bigger. Just a couple of weeks and then they are gone again. Weird.
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9143164

MY SOLUTION FOR ANTS IS A PESTICIDE...damned capslock key!

I buy Terro outdoor ant baits. they come in a box of 6- usually at walmart, etc. I place them around the OUTSIDE of my house and then never see another ant in or near my house after they have been there just a cpl days. I used to use the indoor baits, but they are just too messy to have to deal with cuz if they get moved or tipped accidentally, you have a huge gooey mess on ur hands- usually one with ants in it, too

never heard of using yellow postits tho- that is an interesting method. might have to give it a whirl in the garage just to see what happens next

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2012
11:15 AM

Post #9143453

Folks our signup deadline is approaching. Please make sure I haven't missed anyone and have your name listed at the top in the post marked "reserved for participants."

Last day to sign up is May 31. I'll give you till 8 a.m. the following day, upon which time I will take it to task to select at random our super secret mug swap partners and audited by the independent firm Dewey Cheatem and Howe. You will receive a Dmail from me during the day on June 1 identifying your secret swap partner.

We will have until June 15 to ship packages. If you find yourself needing more time then please let me know by Dmail and I will let your super secret swappeeee know that her mug has not been lost in the mail.

As with most trades, we do delivery confirmation - whether it's necessary or not I don't know given the priority mail system does have its own tracking information. If you have a DC please send it to me by Dmail and I will keep it for our records.

I am really happy to have so many people interested in this swap this year. If you have friends you want to drag into it let them know there's not much time left to signup.

Have a groovy day all - I'm going to put on more sunscreen and get out there to weed - the rains and hot sun have the running grass weeds advancing faster than I can pull.

A.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9143736

It isn't the color or type of paper. You could use any kind. I used the small size blue post-it notes scattered about every 6". If you used plain paper, you'd need to tape it to your surface or secure it somehow. From what I understand, words you write create an energy field.

Hubby is johnny-on-the-spot to pull out some kind of insecticide at the sight of a lone bug, and I don't want us or our animals to breathe the fumes or contaminate our water table. There's a big hoopla on a nearby lake whereby homes on the waterfront are required to install a buffer of plants, preferably natives, to catch run off before it reaches the lake. Many have installed water gardens. Either is a win-win situation.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 30, 2012
9:20 AM

Post #9144811

Hmm. I may have to try that if I see any more outside. Since these ants are so aggressive and invasive, I wasn't taking any chances to their nesting in the house.
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2012
12:34 PM

Post #9145053

Ants are something I rarely see around here. I can't remember the last time I actually saw an ant. Maybe I am just not looking?

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 30, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9145246

I didn't see many last summer with the drought. The thought is they go deep underground to find the moisture.
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9145268

Last year we were almost entirely bug free. It was mentioned on the news that the wildlife was having a bad time due to no insects. The rain 3 weeks ago has really brought out the bugs... including mosquitoes! We had a short period of moths you would not believe. My back sliding glass door was absolutely covered with them at night. Good thing they only lasted about 10 days. You could not go outside at night without them getting in your hair!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 31, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9145881

All those moths would creep me out! I don't like things flying at me and getting in my hair! YUCK!
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9145945

AmandaEsq wrote:She would probably open up a can of whooopass to treat the slapping.

LOL
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9145950

Interesting about the ants and paper, I haven't had many this year in the house. But will keep this in mind.
Well my mulch is here and I need to get busy and start. Anyone want to join me? Anyone!?

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9145955

Pick me, pick MEEEEE!!!
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2012
8:14 AM

Post #9146058

Your in ! but we have to wait until tomorrow the mulch is still hot . Oh well I am sure we can find other important things to do LOL
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9147025

Lunar Moths are so pretty. Cover your eyes and don't read this, Manda. Unfortunately, my cats don't give them a chance and usually only see wings the next morning.

Me, me, me...I love to spread mulch! It's totally instant gratification. Two years ago the wood chip folks dumped a free mountain in our back yard. I used some last year way before it was broken down enough, but ya'll know patience isn't my strong suit. Monday, I asked my neighbor when he had time to please use his tractor that has a front-end loader to move scoops of it to my beds. He came back within an hour and I spread six or seven large piles this morning before it got too hot. Some of the middles still need to be feathered out. The first scoop was a lot of mud and rocks scraped off the ground. Will I ever finish picking up rocks?! The last scoop looked like last years with a lot of small branches, but the rest was pure gold. It'll all be amended and top-dressed with fine mulch from one of our local nurseries.

Last day for sign-ups and have a lot of goodies waiting in the wing for my Secret Bud.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2012
4:21 AM

Post #9147253

Can't wait to get my name!
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2012
5:53 AM

Post #9147339

I need mulch so bad. I also need the desire to put it down, which I don't have. Fortunately my local mulch yard isn't making much mulch this year, so I'm using that as an excuse. Bad Neener...Bad, bad, bad..

Ditto here on the Luna moths. Pely even took on a squirrel the other day.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9147395

Ladies - today is the day!

Look for Dmail from me with the identity of your super secret swapeeee.

If you haven't sent me your contact information to share with your partner, please do so today.

Thanks for playing - Remember our ship date is June 15.

xox
A.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9147692

I got my name! I have the cups, I need to go shopping to fill the box...

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2012
10:12 AM

Post #9147701

New Page:

Mug Swap Reveal!!!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1262516/

Please show us your ugly mug!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #9147702

Cross-post, LK. :)

Excited...

New Page...
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9148150

I skipped a bunch of posts I have to go back and read. Just wondered if you all were talking about Sharon that lives in LV? If not her, I can check with her also.
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2012
10:14 PM

Post #9148549

yes crit- we were. I sent a pm and never heard back?

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9148752

Oh yea - Patti sorry - that's Sharon from LV.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America