How was you day? #342

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Welcome, please join us.

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1256249/

Thumbnail by wren107
Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Sandy for the clean slate.

Was a good day here, sun was out all day, but it was still chilly. Got some plants potted up, some hen and chickens planted in a new place, did some deadheading of various plants, then had an appointment. After getting home from that, I rested then cooked supper.

DH and DS went fishing this afternoon. Caught a few, but I think they were disappointed.

Sandy, pretty roses, and a beautiful Andre. He looks slimmer with the hair gone.

Debbie this is not fair that you have to cook and entertain on Mother's Day weekend. I would insist that I had plenty of help with DH's birthday supper, and remind all of the kids what Sunday is!

Oh, another thing I did this morning is to pot up flowers for the ladies at church, then put paper and ribbons around the pots. They are pretty. Hope they are well received.

Dianne, you just do what you feel like doing. If it is a day of just going through pictures, or working puzzles, or cleaning, you need to do what you want to do. If you miss a part of the year of gardening, then you can have a fresh start next year. You have been so busy and neglecting yourself. Do what the whims tell you to do.

Bonnie, I don't think I have ever eaten an artichoke. I have led a very sheltered life. Hadn't eaten gucamole until I went to Austin Tx several years ago, and most of the food was so hot that I lived on it and chips for a week.

Great news. Casper is at our place now. DH brought him here this morning. He is in the dog kennel, until he gets used to being here. I don't think he would wander off, but he is pitiful sitting at the gate and howling to get out. I am going to be home tomorrow, and I will let him out and supervise him to make sure that he doesn't get on the road, or decide to go hunting in the woods. He has to have a very thorough bath before he is allowed to be inside. I would imagine that he has fleas. You all will be seeing more pics of him now that I don't have to go up to DBIL's place.

Sorry that I didn't speak to everyone, but I am tired and heading to bed.

New Smyrna Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is the recipe which I posted on the old post, then deleted.

Dianne, for the 3 artichokes I bought, I prepared this amount of stuffing. I have enough left over to stuff at least two more maybe three depending upon the size of the chokes.

STUFFED ARTICHOKES

3 - Large Artichokes

Do this ONLY when you are ready to stuff the chokes.

Prepare artichokes by cutting off pointy tips of each leaf with sharp scissors, starting at the bottom and working almost to the top. Cut the tips in the center off horizontally with a sharp knife, creating a flat surface. (See photo of chokes in pot). Rub all cut ends with fresh lemon and lemon juice and set aside

STUFFING

3 - 15oz containers of Progresso Italian Style Bead Crumbs

2 - 8 oz. containers of Kraft grated Romano Cheese

2 - Large Heads of Fresh Garlic - peeled

1 - Flat Can of Anchovies in Oil

1/2 C of Fresh Chopped Italian Parsley

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Empty the boxes of bread crumbs into a very large pot or bowl - large enough to be able to use to hold the choke over or even in when tackling the very messy task of stuffing the choke. In a food processor, chop all the parsley, add to the crumbs. Mix well. Add the Romano cheese to the bowl. Mix well. Without washing the food processor, put all the garlic cloves in the processor. Add the flat can of anchovies (sort of broken into small pieces) with the oil that is in the can. Process garlic and anchovies with small bursts of power until well combined. Turn processor to "on" position and slowly add the olive oil from the top of the processor chute until a slurry is formed. It should be the consistency of baby food bananas. Slowly add this to the bread crumb mixture in three batches. Putting it into the bowl each time in three or four different places and working it in with your spatula sort of like working butter into pastry dough. Do this three times until the slurry is incorporated into the bread crumbs. Next - and this is the hard part - you have to add more olive oil to moisten the bread crumbs more. This I did not measure. Sorry. All I can tell you is that the bread crumbs are still not wet when you finish adding the additional olive oil, but they have a little sheen to them. If I had to guess, I would say 1/2 - 3/4 cup of olive oil. It is important that the bread crumbs have a faint taste of olive oil.

Now you are ready prepare the artichokes for stuffing as described above. After you trim the chokes, turn them upside down and bang them hard on a hard surface to help open the leaves. Then work them gently with your hands to further open the leaves a little. Also trim the stems and try to cut them so they stand flat in the pot when you steam them. Now hold the choke over your pan/pot of stuffing and begin stuffing the outer bottom leaves, pulling the leaves out and filling each leaf with bread stuffing. Continue working all around the artichoke, opening as many leaves as you can. Pack the stuffing in tightly. Place the chokes in a tall dutch oven that has about an inch an a half of water in the bottom along with four or five cloves of fresh garlic, a splash of olive oil and a healthy dash of salt. When all chokes are in the pot. Place tight fitting cover on top and bring pot to boil. Turn heat down to maintain steady boil and cook approximately 45 min to 1 hr. Cooking time depends on how old and tough the artichokes are. You test doneness by removing one of the large, outer leaves near the bottom of the choke. If it pulls out easily and is tender when you scrape the flesh off the end of the leaf, then the chokes are done. Eat with your finders, removing the leaves as you go. Or each person can take a hunk into their plate. They keep well for several days in the fridge and also freeze well.

WOW! I am worn out just typing the recipe.

Bonnie

•Dave's Garden

BonnieB I think it is great that there are still new things out there waiting for us to discover. I learned something new just last week - for true - and it was interesting, too. Only I am so old, I forgot what I learned. And that is not a joke!! Now that makes me mad!!! The ladies at church will be delighted with your flowers. What a love;y act of kindness. YAY! for little Casper.

No rain or storms for my area, but other parts of the state West of here have been hit hard. I wish the front would hurry and pass. My right knee is hurtling so badly I can hardly walk on it. Just put on an Icy Hot Patch. I have taken too many Aleve tabs today. Ditto Celebrex.

Since I am yawning, I am going to take my meds and try to get a decent nights sleep. The car has to be in by 9:00 in the morning. Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Bonnie

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

My brother's wife is Italian. They always made stuffed artichokes at Christmas time. Sooooo good! I have never tried them myself.

well... I'm done for the week. I got a frozen dinner & a piece of chocolate moose cake. I promise I'll work out tomorrow before leaving for the airport. lol

Love that pic of Andre Sandy! Thanks for the new thread.

Dianne - I'm glad you are getting some visitors. I'm sure its healing for everyone. Will you put in some basil? I'm just so hungering for pesto for some pasta dishes I'm thinking about it too much.

BonnieB - glad to hear Casper will be joining the family.

Bonnie - So it was worth the time getting the hair done I gather?

And now I've forgotten all I was going to chat about. Oh well. I'm sure you'll forgive me?

Tam

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

Bonnie, although I love artichokes, I have never had them stuffed. Thanks for posting your recipe, I also shared it with Sandy..I know we both will be trying it out.

Kris

Wouldn't you know the weather front is roaring through so loudly both the cats and I got up to see what was happening. So far it is just a severe thunderstorm warning. The big , fluffy. lugs must be back in their beds. Don't see them anywhere, I am going back to MY bed, too. Wait!!! It seems my bed IS their bed!!!!

Goodnight, again,

Bonnie

Good morning everyone

Sandy and Andre

Thumbnail by wren107

Good morning, Sandy. The rumbling in the sky has stopped here.

Bonnie

Well, I managed to get in a two hour nap since my last post or rather a two hour continuation of last night's sleep. Anyway, for me, that's a good thing. I am charging up the battery for my Travel Scoot scooter. I am going to use it today here in town. When I am in my Q56, I can put it in the back without taking it apart, All I have to do is lower the tiller then it can ride upright, in the hatch-back area. I have no idea what my loaner car will be from Infiniti today, but even if I have to break the scooter down, it isn't much of a problem.

Hey! It's TGIF!!!

Bonnie

Good morning, gee another chilly day here. Even turned on the heat. I guess I will go through changing clothes again today. Start out for the cool weather, and then lose some layers as the day goes on.

Mr. B is still in bed, and I guess he is smarter than I am. Going out in a bit and free Casper from the dog kennel. Bet he will have a ball sniffing and lifting his leg on new territory.

Oh, Susan, read of your prediciment, I am so hoping that the bunny will die peacefully after that horrible attack by the terrapin. ((hugs)) to you.

Dianne, hope that this day is better than yesterday, and the one before that. ((BIG HUGS))

Darn, darn, darn!!!!! Just get the report on my back xrays and this is another thing I will just have to live with. More degeneration in the spine(this time in the upper sping) plus some "bridging" from one bone to another. I was so hoping I could find something that could be fixed.
Oh well that is life.

Sandy and Andre

Verona, ON

(((Sandy)))

Sandy, so sorry to hear your news. Is there anything that can be done? I have spinal stenosis, and all they recommend is moderate exercise, and I have been getting the epidurals in my back which gives relief, although not long lasting.

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

I too, hope the bunny dies peacefully poor thing! I have never heard of a turtle/terrapin killing anything larger than a earthworm...I toldhil, and he was surprised too.
Thunder...back later.

thanks I plan on starting a exercise program. There is a place where they have a heated indoor pool and exercise room. So next month I am going to join.

Sandy and Andre

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Sandy I know you will tackle this with a posit e attidude and make the very best of your situation possible

Bonnie got a chuckle out of the description of sleeping situation. After storm noise last night. So glad you got I the extra zzz That should charge your battery a bit more

I am at the SAn Fran airport waiting for my flight home

TGIF!!!

Tam

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

here is a link to my stupid turtle

http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Animals/ReptilesAmphibians/Facts/FactSheets/Easternboxturtle.cfm

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

As a lover of turtles I must say...how is it any different from them killing birds and other things (bunnies) than our cats doing the same thing?

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

It is the same I guess. I get upset with Snowcone for the same thing. I didn't kill the turtle just moved it away from this nest.

If I hadn't heard the screaming, I would never have known. I pulled a screaming baby bunny from Snowcone's mouth too. I can't just stand by and do nothing. I love Snowcone and he IS a cat and does many things that I don't like.

I put the turtle in the woods where it can find other bunny nests to raid.

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

I get upset with Corky too..he brought in a baby bird that must have just hatched it was barely past the embryo stage..no way I could have raised it...broke my heart!

Well wouldn't you know. I take another First Place! My car was the first of all the 2011-2012 QX56's brought in to my dealership for the factory recall of a fuel leakage between the fuel rail pressure sensor and fuel rail to actually have the leakage. All other cars brought in tested negative for the factory defect. Failure to repair could increase the risk of engine fire. Since they are still working on the repair, I opted to pick it up tomorrow morning as the Friday afternoon rush hour traffic is already backed up bumper to bumper.

Melva, I cannot even bear to think about that little bunny and the pain it must be in. Nature can be so cruel. I also think something ate the nest of baby birds in my back yard two nights ago. I did not hear the last night nor today. I did not use my scooter today, My knee eased up a tiny bit as the front passed by so I used my cane instead. However, it is still very, very painful and now I m covered with red blotches on my arms, legs and chest. I have not eaten, drank, touched, or otherwise handled anything different than usual. These blotches come an go without explanation. They do not hurt or itch. They are raised, irregular, red blotches. As they fade they have little hard, red, bumps in them the size of a small green pea. AND my knee is killing me again from sitting and not using it. Aggghhhhhh. Somebody hand me the gun!!!!!!!

Tammy safe and uneventful travels home.

Sandy so sorry the news about your back was not better.

Going to try to stretch oit to see if my knee will ease up. My ony pain medicine is Alleve and topical sprays, rubs and patches.

Bonnie

Bonnie

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, sorry your knee is so painful. No new meds either? You're not using anything new on the boys? Have you tried a couple of benadryl? Good thing you got your car checked out.

Tammy, I hope your flight is nice and uneventful. Mmm chocolate mouse cake sounds very good.

Sandy, I hope the pool and exercises help your back.

BonnieB, I'm sure the church ladies will love the flowers. I hope things go well with Casper.

Debbie, I agree that someone else should be doing the food for your Mother's Day.

Susan, sorry about the bunny. What a shame about the woman who passed away - she was young.

Dianne, how are you doing? It was so nice for your friends to come and help out.

TGIF big time. It's been one of those weeks again.

The highlight at work was Teddy. He is getting too many treats so he isn't eating his food. Of course he has his owner so well trained - he stays in the hallway and plays keep away. So his owner gets him treat to go into his office. One woman gives him carrots and the other gives him peanut butter. You want to see his poor said face in the doorway. He was growling at his owner when the owner left his office. he ran allover the office then hopped onto the office chair and then the desk. He is so much fun to watch

I hope everyone has a good weekend.

The problem with my back is not really painful, more like a very strong electric buzz that goes on for hours at a time. It is very uncomfortable and it covers over half the are around the shoulder bladed. Plus there is some weakness in my arms. The doctor was worried that I may have a cracked in one of the back bone. I will find some way to get this stabilized like I did the lower back.

Sandy and Andre

Good evening. Had a pretty good day. Although, the DS and his SO carried in some germs from her grandchild, diarrehea? Did well this morning, and cleaned house, and did some laundry, then that hit, and I have been resting all afternoon. Didn't eat any supper, as it just didn't appeal to me at all. Had some crackers and a piece of cheese, and that is probably all I will eat.

Casper is just overjoyed to be able to be out and running around. He is staying close to the other dogs, and is trying so hard to fit in and make friends. Mr. B is not having any of it. He has been in the house with me all afternoon, will go to the door, I open it and he sees Casper, and changes his mind about wanting to go out. I am sure this will pass, but for the time, it is a standoff. Casper wants to be around him, but Mr. B is just gonna take some time to warm up to him. DH is leaving him out tonight, as the other dogs have houses to sleep in, and I am sure that he will double up with a friendly one!

Didn't get much done outside today, but that is okay. They say rain moving in for the weekend, so if I feel like it I will try to work tomorrow outside.

Bonnie, I don't know what to tell you. Although the blotches aren't painful, they are probably aggravating to deal with. Ouch on your knee. When there is a weather front moving in, I can tell by my joints, especially my hands. The arthritis is getting worse in them, and my poor lower back. Wonder if we could find a climate where we wouldn't be bothered by the weather? Glad your car is getting repaired. That sounds really dangerouos.

Sandy, just be sure when you are in the pool that you only do exercises that are approved for the back. Because of the bouancy of the water, you can injure yourself easier than when you are out of the water. Get the Dr, or a physical therapy place to show you exercises for your back, and do them, as they really help. I will have my pool up probably the end of the month, and am looking forward to being able to exercise better there.

Susan, I am so glad that the bunny died peacefully, and that mamma rabbit moved the others. I have never heard of a turtle hurting anything.

Melva, be careful that you don't go out barefoot and your turtle decide to nibble your toes.

Tammy, are you home yet? I know that you will be glad to have your own bed to rest in.

Debbie, I guess you are celebrating the DH's birthday. Hope you enjoy it.

Dianna, I am hoping that your day was a good one. I am so thankful that you have neighbors that will come help you with some of the jobs. Never mind that you COULD do them, give them the pleasure of helping with them. Sometimes that is the only way some people can express their sorrow is by helping.

Terese, gosh you have been quiet. Having DM and your DH there makes all the difference about how much free time you get to yourself. Give the Budman a scritch.

Well, heading to bed shortly, and hope that it will be a good restful night.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm home!

Tam

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Tortoises are vegetarian...Box Turtles are the ones that eat meat

Lyndonville, NY

Long tiring day....several days of it.

Celebrated DH's birthday. I made pulled pork, beef on weck, baked beans....and a disastrous incident with the cake. Both girls brought some really nice
salads, one with raspberry vinaigrette dressing which was so good.

Lil' Spence was a hit, the older two hadn't seen him before. First Jeanna had him out and just had so much fun with him. Put Spence back in the cage, and in comes Carrie...straight for the cage, and takes him out again. He is a tried bunny and will sleep well.

Speaking of sleeping well.....

Lee, your boy is tuckered out!

Carrie was so wound up....you can see it in her face. That cake was two layers....the second layer may be used in a parfait bowl or something...but it fell apart putting it on the cake. What a mess!!

Thumbnail by DebbiesDaisy Thumbnail by DebbiesDaisy
Lyndonville, NY

DH is working tomorrow, so I have the empty house alone again as Shannon went back to her apartment. She was too worried about
Lexi and her fish.

Good morning everyone

BonnieB back when we found out what was wrong with my lower back, I went to what the doctor called back school. There I learned all about that to do and not to do. So yes I know about the exercises and I will be careful and slow.
I can not start until this wound is completely healed, so it will be some time next month.

Waving at everyone

Thumbnail by wren107
Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

Sandy thanks for the new start and Andre is as handsome as usual! So sorry about the news on your back. But it sounds like you have a plan and that is the important thing. Beautiful picture.

Morning! Cloudy and no rain. Didn't look at the forecast and don't plan on it. Just plan on puttering a bit in the house and a bit outside.

So I had better go and feed the guys and get the day started.

Verona, ON

Hard day yesterday. The Funeral Home brought my guy's ashes back to me. It hit me a lot harder than I thought it would.

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

Dianne hugs and puppy kisses and strength coming your way! So wish I could be there.

Verona, ON

Thanks Vicki.

Dianne, I am sorry that you were broadsided by the delivery. In time you will come to appreciate that "you guy" is close by. (hugs)

Sandy, that is good that you have already been through the educational part of the back. I do exercises every morning to loosen up the tightness that I get after being inactive overnight. When the weather warms and I can get in the pool, the exercises there are so much easier to do. Love your rose pictures, do you have as many as Melva?

Still chilly this morning. I am hoping that the front that is moving through this weekend will clear the way for some warmer temps. I am tired of trying to decide what to wear ie, jeans, sweats or shorts. Decisions.

Debbie, a cake always fails when it is for a special occasion. That is written in Murphy's law book. I never plan on taking a cake anywhere, as it always happens. A cousin told me that after filling the cake pans, and before putting them in the oven, drop them on the floor, yep, gets all the bubbles out of the batter, so better chances of having a cake that doesn't fall apart. The first time I tried that, DH was in the kitchen, and you should have seen him scrambling to try to catch the pan! A good idea is to let the family know ahead of time!

Bonnie, here's hoping that you had a restful night, and that you feel like a million bucks.

Vicki, is this an off day for you? Naw, I remember you work weekends.

Don't know what the day holds for me, other than puttering around in the GH and watering out there. I am sure somethinng will grab my attention

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

Dianne, I really wish I could be there to give you a big hug. Chloe sends kisses to you.

Lyndonville, NY

(((((Dianne)))))) reaching across that big pool between us

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Oh Dianne! That would have hit me hard too!

{{{{{{{{{{{{Dianne}}}}}}}

BonnieB I do not have any roses right now. Those pictures where taken at a State Garden that has a nice rose garden

Yard guys are coming

Waving at everyone

Sandy and Andre

Yard work is done. Andre is tired out and so am I. Andre says that it is hard work supervising. LOL

Sandy and Andre

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.