Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Bird Watching: Cardinals have a fledgling - in Z4 Vermont!

Communities > Forums > Bird Watching
bookmark
Forum: Bird WatchingReplies: 1, Views: 12
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
evie_beevie
Essex Junction, VT
(Zone 4a)

May 11, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #9119505

I just confirmed a story my neighbor told me that the resident cardinals have a baby. I just heard it and got a glimpse of the mother feeding it in the cedar hedge. This seems unusual that they'd have a fledgling in early May. There is only one as far as I can tell (not sure if that was always the case or not).

Anyone else this far north seeing activity? I'm guessing the warm spring altered their schedule. That or they've always done it this early but not by me (these cardinals - assuming they are the same pair - have been nesting in my or either side neighbors for years).
clhart75
Charlotte, NC

May 11, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9119681

Last week, I saw a mother cardinal feeding two fledglings in my yard. And yesterday, I saw what I *think* is a momma thrush feeding her two fledglings. There's a wren's nest on my front porch, but I'm not sure if any survived. There are two unhatched eggs & one dead hatch-ling in the nest. Three days ago, I saw one healthy baby in there, but yesterday, it was gone. I don't know if it flew out or if something happened to it. And, there are titmouses nesting in a birdhouse in my back yard, but I haven't seen any sign of the babies coming out yet.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America