Photo by Melody

Woodworking: Can anyone help with bed plans?

Communities > Forums > Woodworking
bookmark
Forum: WoodworkingReplies: 3, Views: 40
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 11, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9119584

My son and his fiance are getting married in two weeks! He is wanting his father and I to make a bed for them - but a particular style of course. He likes this bed http://www.westelm.com/products/narrow-leg-wood-bed-frame-f828/?pkey=cheadboards-bed-frames

His father and I have been traveling 2 hrs (one way) every weekend to remodel a house that we helped him purchase in foreclosure and so we really haven't had any spare time to try to pull this off since he asked a few months ago. We still are not finished at the house, but he has a new mattress, if we could just pull off the bed. I realize the outer frame of the bed is just 1 X 6's and that the foundation for the mattress itself is probably just plywood... but I need a good source for legs like the one on the bed.

Also, anyone have any experience tying the plywood and "frame" together so that it looks good and stays together? We have a lot of carpentry experience and a SMALL amount of craft type carpentry experience - bookshelves, etc and my husband recently took some leftover hardwood lumber from my son's house and made him a very nice table out of it... but with little time and little experience I thought maybe someone here could offer some great advice.

He also wants a matching headboard... http://www.westelm.com/products/diamond-tufted-headboard-g024/?pkey=cheadboards-bed-frames Any suggestions on that? There is a local woman who does upholstery work that I think will help me cover the headboard, but we are having a hard time finding hardware to attach the headboard to the bed itself...

I would greatly appreciate any advice you can offer! Thanks
Genna

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9120403

Might be just about as cheap to buy one. Have you looked at Ikea. You would have to order it. There are not any stores around here.
Here is a link to beds.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?query=Full%2C+Queen+and+King+beds
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

May 22, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9133332

Tapered legs are not too difficult if you have a table saw. You can make or buy a taper jig.
Attaching them to the frame could be done with any joinery you are familiar with - pocket holes, biscuits, mortise & tenon.

The headboard should be easy, too. Make the fame from 2x stock, the wrap with cotton batting and fabric of your choice.
Michael's, JoAnn's or any fabric store should be able to help with supplies.
Staple to the back then use buttons (from the fabric supply store) to provide the tufting.
An upholstery sewing kit will have the required needles to span the depth from the front to the back to draw the buttons tight.

I believe Rockler's has the hardware to make attaching the side rails to the headboard and footboard and they have a website.

The rails are probably 1x6 as you suggested, but they will have a 1x2 glued and screwed inside at the bottom to support the slats - no need for plywood - 5 or 6 1x4 slats will do,
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 22, 2012
8:55 PM

Post #9134542

Thanks! We do have a table saw... but nothing to make biscuits or mortise and tenon etc. We are more into house remodeling and have ventured into making a few things as opposed to being familiar with a lot of furniture type construction. But I follow what you mean on the 1 X 2 and the slats... I appreciate the help. I am somewhat familiar with Rocklers but couldn't find what I was looking for the in the magazine we had...but I will chech the website.

Thanks!
Genna

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Woodworking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Woodworkers unite! drdon 104 Mar 26, 2007 11:23 PM
Let's see your shop! drdon 64 Feb 16, 2009 2:15 PM
extreme birdhouses and more from recycled wood cranbrook2 222 Feb 27, 2012 5:37 AM
What woodworking projects are you planning? drdon 24 Sep 2, 2009 3:28 AM
Halloween Projects ezylivin 49 Oct 13, 2009 4:08 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America