Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Hydrangeas: ID? - Supposedly 'Mounds of Snow'

Communities > Forums > Hydrangeas
bookmark
Forum: HydrangeasReplies: 4, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SCBegoniaGuy
Columbia, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2012
8:40 AM

Post #9119761

I have several cultivars of hydrangea I bought last year. They're all true-to-expectations except one. I bought this one as 'Mounds of Snow,' supposedly a mophead-type that stays white regardless of soil composition. Instead, I've got a lacecap-type that's light pink. One distinguishing characteristic of this one is that the stems are red in color. I wanted to think it was hybridized with Annabelle - since it was supposed to stay white - but now I have no idea.

Any thoughts on what I have? Thanks...

Thumbnail by SCBegoniaGuy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9119907

Do you have alkaline soil? Our 'Lady in Red' has very noticeable red stems but blue lacecap flowers in our acid soil. An alkaline soil would have flowers in the pink range.
SCBegoniaGuy
Columbia, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2012
11:47 AM

Post #9119966

That's a thought, for sure, pirl. Thanks for the reply. I didn't put it in the ground - just in a larger pot - until it gets better established, because I bought it as a small starter plant. It's very possible the potting soil turned it pink because I've got others in pots that are light pink, also...cuttings I rooted from other plants, in the same potting soil. When I think back to ordering this, I was skeptical of any macrophylla that "stays white." Maybe I'll find a true Annabelle / arborescens this year to try, because I don't have any whites. I enjoy adding to a collection. Others I grow are Glowing Embers, Cardinal Red, Emile Moulliere, Nikko Blue, and Mariesii Variegated. I'd love to try PeeGee's, but I don't get enough sunlight. Regardless, I'm still happy with any new hydrangea. :o)
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9120074

I don't have Annabelle only because around here they flop so much and look so dreadful after a rain. They do remain white. You could try Limelight, which starts off a greenish white and then turns white.

It's so easy to love hydrangeas!

Here's my favorite one, Beni Gaku, along with two photos of Limelight, a gift from a friend.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl
Click an image for an enlarged view.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 11, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9120189

A lot of "white" macrophyllas are actually very pale pink or very pale blue depending on your soil pH (will often look fairly white from a distance, but if you look close you'll see the pink or blue tinge). But since Mounds of Snow is a mophead and yours is clearly a lacecap it was definitely mislabeled.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hydrangeas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hydrangea Ayesha Roselaine 9 Jul 13, 2012 2:54 PM
Cutting Hydrangeas anastatia 2 Jul 31, 2007 9:43 PM
"Forever and Ever" Hydrangea toni5735 14 Dec 30, 2008 11:10 AM
I hope this works. Hydrangeas planted in a leaf mix... kbaumle 30 Apr 28, 2009 3:20 AM
How to winter over lace cap cuttings? kbaumle 10 Jan 13, 2008 6:47 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America