Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Hostas: Help baby hostas every where!

Communities > Forums > Hostas
bookmark
Forum: HostasReplies: 11, Views: 125
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hamptonmeadow
Lakeville, MN

May 11, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9120036

I didn't know hostas were pop ups. I have baby hostas every where and they are choking out my other plants.

Is this normal?
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9120082

Open pollinated hosta often set seeds. It is normal. Mostly you will get plain green ones but sometimes you will find a yellow or blue. If you have any streaked hosta you could find streaked, variegated or solid colored babies.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 12, 2012
3:30 PM

Post #9121245

I had that all the time with the Midnight Ride, I just gently dig them up and plant them somewhere else, like under the tree. They are all green, nothing special. I don't get them anymore since I removed the fertile hosta's, I have not had nothing that fertile since.
So what kinda Hosta do you have? Do you know where the seeds are coming from?

susan
hamptonmeadow
Lakeville, MN

May 13, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9122266

They are very large leaves with stripes of bumps, Big Daddy, because I have a huge one.
I do have mature ones that are taking over my garden and so I need to get rid of them.

I pulled one out of a clump of iris and it was just huge, all from this year. I almost cried when I did it.

Please somebody bail me out and take some of my hostas

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 13, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9122320

They are just sports, The hosta's do not come true from seed. (Except maybe one.) They have to be divided, so if you see something cute just pot it up and if you see the plain green ones just toss them, they are not worth getting stressed out over. If you end up with a nice sport you can divide it later and make extra plants from it, if you want. :)

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 14, 2012
4:35 AM

Post #9122893

Virginiarose - NO, they are not sports - they are hybrids. Sports are a genetic change in a plant, not a seedling. But you are correct in that they will not come true to the parent plant. The vast majority of hosta seedlings should end up culled and composted, but once in awhile you will get a surprise and that can include variegation; so it's wide to keep an eye on them.

I have several interesting seedlings. One is fully variegated - a reverse of the parent plant which was 'Last Dance'. Another is variegated at this time of year, but the centre of the leaf will darken during the summer. And I have two plain Jane seedlings which I've had 3-4 years which THIS year put off a sport with variegation/streaking. I'm definitely keeping those variegated/streaked eyes to see what they become.

Ann

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 14, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9123094

Oh, I forgot the sport is the thing that grows on the side. These would be seedlings that are hybrids. Got ya!
I must not have many fertile Hostas right now because I have not seen anything at all since I got rid of the Midnight ride. However the seedlings I did save are still growing under the tree and never get watered or anything, amazing but just plain green.
I would like to see yours sometime! I might see something this year, I did add a lot of new ones. :)

susan
hostages
Wyoming, MN

May 14, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9123167

Green isn't bad! I have a number of op Hosta montana seedlings. They are going into their third year and they are magnificent. I love montana and have several variegated varieties as well. Alvatine Taylor has produced a number of blue seedlings this year. They all apear to be similar, but the shade of blue green is very pleasant,

Gary

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 14, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9123197

Good, glad to hear. I do have a Montana and will look forward to that. Mine are not pretty but they are where nothing else will grow. Thanks for mentioning Alvatine Taylor, I forgot to put that on my wish list. :) oh, would love to see those seedlings when you get the chance.

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9126720

My only fertile hostas seem to be Sum and Substance. It has thrown several babys which are really small and have taken years to grow and don't appear to be able to achieve the size of the parent plant. They have the S & S color and leaf shape, but so far, not the size.
Martha
sheameister
Northport, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9127181

I don't know what mine are... I figured just Royal Standard--medium size, plain green with no variation. My front yard is 100% groundcover with some hostas mixed in, but each year it becomes MORE and MORE hosta-filled. I didn't even realize how many were coming in this year until it was too late. Now they're all out and HUGE and nearly covering the front yard. I must have 75+ of them out there. It's completely ridiculous! I never realized hostas could self-seed like that. Mine are truly prolific breeders.

It seems difficult and messy to remove these full plants. Would it make more sense to wait until next spring and try to dig them out when they are just coming in? How do I know which ones are "fertile" or not? Is there any way to tell? If I could pinpoint the main source(s) of all these babies, I'd take them out as soon as possible.

Thumbnail by sheameister
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #9127467

you could religiously deadhead every blooming flower stalk off of these hosta. No flowers-no seed. Let them bloom but take them off directly after. be sure to remove these stalks from the area and don't compost them. Thin out some of the mature plants and give them to your local garden club or church bazaar for their plant sale. But removing the flowers is the only way to prevent the seed.
Martha

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hostas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your Favorite Hosta... blonde_elf 117 Nov 16, 2009 7:06 PM
Mania Links pupper 5 May 21, 2007 10:11 PM
Help me choose leslie 10 Jul 16, 2008 10:40 AM
Lovely Loretta jody 55 Jun 23, 2007 11:02 AM
cup hostas handhelpers 11 Aug 25, 2007 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America