Photo by Melody

Perennials: I can't believe I missed this forum!

Communities > Forums > Perennials
bookmark
Forum: PerennialsReplies: 4, Views: 68
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
koshki
Grosse Pointe Shores, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9120187

Hi all,
I have been hanging around other forums...mostly the clematis and tomato ones, lurking in roses and peonies. But somehow I didn't realize that there is a perennial forum! Whoo hoo!

After I moved in 2009, I started gardening and prefer perennials, although I do plant a few pots of annuals just for fun. DH signed on to the idea at first because he thought it meant he would only have to plant once (I'm in a wheelchair and need occasional help). Well, I am only gradually acclimatizing him to the idea that there might be some "tweaking" along the way!

Some of what we've done is to attract hummingbirds and butterflies, the rest is just a reflection of what appeals to me at any given moment. (I saw the phrase "crapus collectus" mentioned...) I'm learning a lot, and discovering that I have zero impulse control when it comes to resisting purchasing plants that I like!

Anyway, I hope to learn a lot from this forum...see you around!

Katherine
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9120195

Welcome to the Perennials Forum, Katherine. Many of us have zero control when it comes to buying plants. We can enter a nursery with the best of intentions and leave with plants that never made the list.

Nursery shopping, whether online or in person, always reminds me of Oscar Wilde's quote:
I can resist anything but temptation.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 11, 2012
4:33 PM

Post #9120253

Hi Katherine, nice to see you here... My impulse control has evolved from buying everything I see into buying everything I see on DG-- not quite the same thing, but close... LOL. The new way involves a lot more mail ordering - my partner isn't big on searching nursery after nursery for a specific plant: "How many plants do you need, anyway?" But he's given up on trying to keep track of what I have going at any given time, just keeps out of my way. He does help if I give him a task, but I'm careful what and how often I ask. He also appreciates what the garden looks like after a few years of my efforts, especially as others have also noticed.

So welcome to the forum of enablers, teachers, friends, gurus, neophytes... Whatever you like.

Pam
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

May 11, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9120334

Welcome! Perennials is the best and most active forum.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2012
8:33 PM

Post #9120515

Yes, welcome Katherine! I believe Perennials is my favorite forum. I get so many neat ideas from all of those that comment on this forum. I am like Pfg. I literally make notes of the flowers on this forum and then go to the on line catalogs to find them! There's so many neat ideas and so many neat combinations. I'd rather buy local, but I am always afraid they won't have the specific plant that I want. The local plants are bigger, usually healthier and definitely cheaper since you don't have to pay shipping and handling!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Campanula Wonder Bells Blue Gloriaglolms 37 Apr 11, 2009 4:28 PM
Oriental Poppy Pops! Weezingreens 34 Jun 27, 2010 6:36 AM
BLUE FLOWERS Lori_Illinois 62 May 4, 2010 4:09 PM
Triple Roadside/Ditch lily OhioBreezy 21 Jul 9, 2011 6:56 PM
what are you sorry you planted.. thehumblebumble 279 Aug 12, 2012 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America