Hybrid Athena cantaloupes seed

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

saving seed from the Athena cantaloupes, but will they be any good? will they grow? I love muskmelons, this one is big enuff to keep me happy with a bit milder flavor than what I am normally drooling over, will saving the seeds do any good at all, or will I simply need to order commercial seeds?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

It may be a bit different and you may get melons with different shapes and sizes. Odds are tho, they will be very similar. I prefer to know what I am growing so I usually get F1 seeds. But if you just want cantaloupes, they should work out fine

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

That works, was afraid they would be 'mules' and nothing happen, will keep my eye on em and see what happens, thanx

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

kittriana - I have all kinds of volunteer melons pop up in my garden. Some of them taste good, others not so.

Last year I started saving seeds from the ones I really liked so I can eventually get melons that have acclimated to my growing conditions.

You could start seeds in individual small pots (one seed per pot) and transplant those that grow.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

too much work, am gone so long-and they are still drying out- we plant 5 seeds to a hill, one water hole, 5 directions for em to grow, thin if necessary. just came in, have been getting all hot n bothered changin out the maters to the 54" cages, ddratted hornworms one a day-love my heirloom German Queen mater best of all, but goodness! am getting puny! Time to sit a spell.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.