Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Vegetable Gardening: Hybrid Athena cantaloupes seed

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 4, Views: 30
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 11, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9120320

saving seed from the Athena cantaloupes, but will they be any good? will they grow? I love muskmelons, this one is big enuff to keep me happy with a bit milder flavor than what I am normally drooling over, will saving the seeds do any good at all, or will I simply need to order commercial seeds?
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9120335

It may be a bit different and you may get melons with different shapes and sizes. Odds are tho, they will be very similar. I prefer to know what I am growing so I usually get F1 seeds. But if you just want cantaloupes, they should work out fine

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 11, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9120464

That works, was afraid they would be 'mules' and nothing happen, will keep my eye on em and see what happens, thanx

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #9121016

kittriana - I have all kinds of volunteer melons pop up in my garden. Some of them taste good, others not so.

Last year I started saving seeds from the ones I really liked so I can eventually get melons that have acclimated to my growing conditions.

You could start seeds in individual small pots (one seed per pot) and transplant those that grow.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 12, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9121092

too much work, am gone so long-and they are still drying out- we plant 5 seeds to a hill, one water hole, 5 directions for em to grow, thin if necessary. just came in, have been getting all hot n bothered changin out the maters to the 54" cages, ddratted hornworms one a day-love my heirloom German Queen mater best of all, but goodness! am getting puny! Time to sit a spell.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America