Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Bird Identification: Trying to identify a yellow migrating bird in Colorado

Communities > Forums > Bird Identification
bookmark
Forum: Bird IdentificationReplies: 4, Views: 87
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
petset77
Fort Garland, CO
(Zone 4b)

May 12, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9121010

Hi folks. This might be better directed to "Bird Files", but I couldn't find a place to ask questions there. I'm in the Sangre de Cristo mountains in southern Colorado. For the second strait spring, we have a beautiful bright yellow bird that feeds at our humming bird feeders. There are actually two this year, and they will move on in a couple of days. They look like a large American Goldfinch, without as much black on the head, and more vivid yellow. There is a little black under the beak, and wings are black with a white wing bar. It lands in the pinons with the grossbeaks, tanagers, and all the other birds feeding in the morning. It does not go near the feeders I fill with a mix of millet, thistle, and mostly black oil sunflower seed, but lands on the hummingbird feeders and drinks, sometimes hanging upside down to check surroundings. They are quite skittish, so I don't have a close up photo. I cannot find anything that looks like them in the two reference books I have. Does anyone have any ideas, based on my rough description? Thank you in advance.

Thumbnail by petset77
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 16, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #9126337

I wonder if this is a Bullock's Oriole, they're found in Colorado. Orioles readily come to nectar feeders, especially those with perches. They are not a seed eater, but I saw our Baltimore taking a few bites of our suet today. Then he hopped on a tube feeder, but he acted as if he was investigating the area and was checking everything out before settling onto an orange.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

May 16, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9126349

Yep, Bullock's Oriole, male

Resin
petset77
Fort Garland, CO
(Zone 4b)

May 24, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9137241

Thank you both for the reply. I considered it to be a Bullock's Oriole, as both reference books I have show it to be in the area. The reason I was questioning it was that both books show and describe it as orange. The "Sibley" field guide book show 1st year males as yellow. Each of these birds were brilliant yellow. Beautiful birds.

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 26, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9139906

We get them here in Pueblo, too. They nest along the Arkansas late spring & early summer. They disappear mid-summer - I've wondered whether they go farther north or turn back south early.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America