Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Passifloras: Any ideas on which one this is?

Communities > Forums > Passifloras
bookmark
Forum: PassiflorasReplies: 11, Views: 105
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 13, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9122003

A while back both X and I were trying to ID a passi with unusual leaves. I had this one for years and never thought it bloomed but this morning I decided to yank it out of the trees and found it indeed did have flowers - at 20' up in the air.

I am sitll puzzled as to the variety. Recently I was told it is the native incarnata but that one has a blue flower. Any ideas?

Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia
Click an image for an enlarged view.

roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2012
9:24 AM

Post #9122099

Not that I can help you ID your flower, but I would like to see a pic of it open. Looks pretty! I guess if you didn't know that it flowered, you wouldn't know if it fruited??
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9122992

None of the flowers on the vine I pulled down were open any more than what I showed in the picture. I did take some cuttings with buds and they seem happy in water, maybe some will open and I'll try and get a better shot. It may have fruited in the past as there are many little ones around but they could have come from runners also,I just don't know.

There is a passi called Charlotte Corday that looks similar but all the literature says it is snow white and this one has a definite yellow cast to it.

X, has yours bloomed yet? (check the tree tops, LOL)
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 14, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9123274

Hey .. I cut mine back in fall and overwinter in the greenhouse .. I have a few blooming now, the Lady Margaret and Trifasciata tricolor. Hoping the X allardii will bloom this year.

Whatever it is you have I too can't wait to see it open.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 19, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9129863

Well, I do think it is P. Charlotte Corday. after we yanked the vine down I cut some of the tips with buds and put them in water. The first flower opened today and now that it is fully open it is white. One of the sites I checked said this one gets to 15', my vine was far longer than that, more like 30'. The tree it was in was at least 15" and this vine went round and round and across to other trees.

Thumbnail by ardesia
Click the image for an enlarged view.

roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9130331

Would you be willing to dig a couple of the starter plants up?
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 20, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9130400

I have tried that before without much success, the soil is unusually heavy, but I would be willing to try. This really is a lovely flower and I am glad we didn't get them all out.

My experience with passi's has not been wonderful, in this climate they really take off and take over. Trying to keep them a manageable size is almost impossible where they don't freeze back.
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9130410

Well she'll be in a container here but will spend winter in my greenhouse. The only passi I can leave in the ground here is incarnata and it goes wild in the summer so I know what you mean about taking over!

Thumbnail by roxxanne
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 22, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9133256

My, Oh My, Roxxanne... that passion vine is taking over your house. I love it. Any plant that grows with such wild abandon and gumption is aces in my book. I am wondering if I should congratulate you, or cry for you. At any rate, great vine!

Sylvain.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 22, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9133257

Lovely flower, Ardesia. And that picture from Roxxane at the bottom of that thread is really something,too.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

May 30, 2012
10:47 AM

Post #9144918

That looks like one I have p. Constance Elliot solid white leaves look just like that too

This message was edited May 30, 2012 2:01 PM
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 30, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9145104

I just checked Brushwoods site and they are almost identical, guess it will remain a mystery.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Passifloras Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Is anyone having trouble keeping up with name tags? Tropicman 16 Jul 24, 2007 5:43 AM
Am I blue? Ginger_H 6 Aug 16, 2008 6:19 PM
First passiflora bloom PudgyMudpies 14 Feb 7, 2008 2:28 PM
Pics of your passies, please? AuntB 250 Jul 24, 2007 11:20 AM
Passiflora Amethystina gordo 14 Apr 6, 2007 10:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America