Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Trash to Treasure: Repaired Pot

Communities > Forums > Trash to Treasure
bookmark
Forum: Trash to TreasureReplies: 13, Views: 328
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 13, 2012
11:20 AM

Post #9122175

I had a plastic pot that split. I laced it up with waxed thread and added beads for a Southwest look.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Click the image for an enlarged view.

keepingactive
Thousand Oaks, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 13, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #9122192

Hi neighbor,
Good job, very creative and a lot of work. I'm the lazy kind, I've used Goop on the plastic pots. On the terra cotta ones, I've plastered them with cement and then painted/stained. Darn, those pots are expensive!
denisemb
Ocala, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 13, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9122195

I love it, very clever!
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 13, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #9122319

How cool and creative is that? Good job.
Fleur_2011
Yucaipa, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 25, 2012
3:14 AM

Post #9137677

@ Kelli & keepingactive ~ for the terra cotta pots, I've bought mine at the 99cents store, coated them with a sealer [Mod Podge], then painted them with what color or colors I wanted. Of course, let each paint application dry before using the next color. Once you have all the color or colors on, then apply another coat of Mod Podge to do a final seal.

I've painted several terra cotta pots in this fashion. On some of the plastic pots that I have, I've applied a stencil and then colored in the stencil. Gives a rather dull looking pot a new lease on life. I thought I had taken a pic of one of my pots, will have to do a pic, so I can post it on this thread to show you how it came out.

Kelli ~ I like the turquoise droplets around the rim of your pot ~ anything with turquoise on it or in it gets an A+ from me! Good job!
helenchild
Decatur, GA

May 25, 2012
3:55 AM

Post #9137694

keepingactive,
Would you explain how you mend terra cotta pots with 'cement'? I guess the question is what kind of cement do you use? Cement brings to mind rubber cement and cement trucks!! :-)
Anyway, thanks,
Helen
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 25, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #9138091

Fleur, Yucaipa is one of my favorite words. I like to say it.
keepingactive
Thousand Oaks, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 25, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9138117

Fleur,
Hi, I'm actually painting 9 of these 99 cent pots! I'm going to paint three each: blue, green and yellow. A friends husband is making me wooden pot holders to use on my back fence. I got the idea from Pinterest. I sealed the pots both inside and out first with JoSonja sealer (comes in a plastic bottle from Joanns or Michael s). I got Marsha Steward acrylic craft paint - will not get her band again, stick with DecoArt. Martha'd was too thick for my liking. I lightly sand with a paper bag between coats --just knocks off the little bubbles or whatnots that seem to appear. When I'm done, I will use spray sealer to seal them - spray sealer is much easier and faster!

I would show pictures, but apparently I have lot the capability of transferring from camera to PC,. it used to do it automatically when I plugged in the camera...will have to look into that! I am rather PC illiterate

helenchiild:
Hi. I used the cement in the orange bag. Had some left over from another project. My LARGE terra cotta pot split down the side. I tried wrapping it with wire to keep it together, It worked, but the water kept running out. So I removed the plant and soil, and using gloved hands just patted on cement all around the pot, then used a slightly damp sponge to smooth it out--sort if like cleaning up grout. Then colored the cement using the stain they sell in the same area that they sell the cement. I actually did two of these pots this way, the first - I didn't think to smooth it out so it's rather shabby looking, but both are holding up really well as it's been about 3 yrs that I did it.
helenchild
Decatur, GA

May 29, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9143739

Thanks keepingactive. so you used the cement truck type cement. ^_^
Fleur_2011
Yucaipa, CA
(Zone 10a)

February 13, 2013
7:13 AM

Post #9417578

hey there keepingactive ~ regarding the camera to PC thing ~ I'm assuming that you shoot digital, right? Anytime I load my pics to my PC, I do it straight from the memory card. I don't even mess with that cable cord that comes with the camera for that purpose. I just put my memory card in the right slot on the computer & download to the computer after I create a folder in my photo section. Try it this way & see if it works for you. Then once you get the pics into the folder you create, then you can go in & rotate the pics if they need it.

Good Luck!

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 13, 2013
9:32 AM

Post #9417737

Corset pots! Could be a new trend! Fun idea...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2013
9:43 PM

Post #9419516

I had to go back and look to see what you meant David! By george, you're right!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 18, 2013
5:10 PM

Post #9423601

Love this idea.

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2013
7:18 PM

Post #9437950

I'm inspired! Time to drag those old pots out of storage & get creative. Thanks Kelli. : )

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America