-
AuthorContent
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 13, 2012
11:20 AM

Post #9122175

I had a plastic pot that split. I laced it up with waxed thread and added beads for a Southwest look.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Click the image for an enlarged view.

keepingactive
Thousand Oaks, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 13, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #9122192

Hi neighbor,
Good job, very creative and a lot of work. I'm the lazy kind, I've used Goop on the plastic pots. On the terra cotta ones, I've plastered them with cement and then painted/stained. Darn, those pots are expensive!
denisemb
Ocala, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 13, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9122195

I love it, very clever!
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 13, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #9122319

How cool and creative is that? Good job.
Fleur_2011
Yucaipa, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 25, 2012
3:14 AM

Post #9137677

@ Kelli & keepingactive ~ for the terra cotta pots, I've bought mine at the 99cents store, coated them with a sealer [Mod Podge], then painted them with what color or colors I wanted. Of course, let each paint application dry before using the next color. Once you have all the color or colors on, then apply another coat of Mod Podge to do a final seal.

I've painted several terra cotta pots in this fashion. On some of the plastic pots that I have, I've applied a stencil and then colored in the stencil. Gives a rather dull looking pot a new lease on life. I thought I had taken a pic of one of my pots, will have to do a pic, so I can post it on this thread to show you how it came out.

Kelli ~ I like the turquoise droplets around the rim of your pot ~ anything with turquoise on it or in it gets an A+ from me! Good job!
helenchild
Decatur, GA

May 25, 2012
3:55 AM

Post #9137694

keepingactive,
Would you explain how you mend terra cotta pots with 'cement'? I guess the question is what kind of cement do you use? Cement brings to mind rubber cement and cement trucks!! :-)
Anyway, thanks,
Helen
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 25, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #9138091

Fleur, Yucaipa is one of my favorite words. I like to say it.
keepingactive
Thousand Oaks, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 25, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9138117

Fleur,
Hi, I'm actually painting 9 of these 99 cent pots! I'm going to paint three each: blue, green and yellow. A friends husband is making me wooden pot holders to use on my back fence. I got the idea from Pinterest. I sealed the pots both inside and out first with JoSonja sealer (comes in a plastic bottle from Joanns or Michael s). I got Marsha Steward acrylic craft paint - will not get her band again, stick with DecoArt. Martha'd was too thick for my liking. I lightly sand with a paper bag between coats --just knocks off the little bubbles or whatnots that seem to appear. When I'm done, I will use spray sealer to seal them - spray sealer is much easier and faster!

I would show pictures, but apparently I have lot the capability of transferring from camera to PC,. it used to do it automatically when I plugged in the camera...will have to look into that! I am rather PC illiterate

helenchiild:
Hi. I used the cement in the orange bag. Had some left over from another project. My LARGE terra cotta pot split down the side. I tried wrapping it with wire to keep it together, It worked, but the water kept running out. So I removed the plant and soil, and using gloved hands just patted on cement all around the pot, then used a slightly damp sponge to smooth it out--sort if like cleaning up grout. Then colored the cement using the stain they sell in the same area that they sell the cement. I actually did two of these pots this way, the first - I didn't think to smooth it out so it's rather shabby looking, but both are holding up really well as it's been about 3 yrs that I did it.
helenchild
Decatur, GA

May 29, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9143739

Thanks keepingactive. so you used the cement truck type cement. :-)
Fleur_2011
Yucaipa, CA
(Zone 10a)

February 13, 2013
7:13 AM

Post #9417578

hey there keepingactive ~ regarding the camera to PC thing ~ I'm assuming that you shoot digital, right? Anytime I load my pics to my PC, I do it straight from the memory card. I don't even mess with that cable cord that comes with the camera for that purpose. I just put my memory card in the right slot on the computer & download to the computer after I create a folder in my photo section. Try it this way & see if it works for you. Then once you get the pics into the folder you create, then you can go in & rotate the pics if they need it.

Good Luck!

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 13, 2013
9:32 AM

Post #9417737

Corset pots! Could be a new trend! Fun idea...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2013
9:43 PM

Post #9419516

I had to go back and look to see what you meant David! By george, you're right!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 18, 2013
5:10 PM

Post #9423601

Love this idea.

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2013
7:18 PM

Post #9437950

I'm inspired! Time to drag those old pots out of storage & get creative. Thanks Kelli. : )

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America