Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Repaired Pot

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I had a plastic pot that split. I laced it up with waxed thread and added beads for a Southwest look.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Thousand Oaks, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi neighbor,
Good job, very creative and a lot of work. I'm the lazy kind, I've used Goop on the plastic pots. On the terra cotta ones, I've plastered them with cement and then painted/stained. Darn, those pots are expensive!

Ocala, FL(Zone 9a)

I love it, very clever!

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

How cool and creative is that? Good job.

Yucaipa, CA(Zone 10a)

@ Kelli & keepingactive ~ for the terra cotta pots, I've bought mine at the 99cents store, coated them with a sealer [Mod Podge], then painted them with what color or colors I wanted. Of course, let each paint application dry before using the next color. Once you have all the color or colors on, then apply another coat of Mod Podge to do a final seal.

I've painted several terra cotta pots in this fashion. On some of the plastic pots that I have, I've applied a stencil and then colored in the stencil. Gives a rather dull looking pot a new lease on life. I thought I had taken a pic of one of my pots, will have to do a pic, so I can post it on this thread to show you how it came out.

Kelli ~ I like the turquoise droplets around the rim of your pot ~ anything with turquoise on it or in it gets an A+ from me! Good job!

Decatur, GA

Would you explain how you mend terra cotta pots with 'cement'? I guess the question is what kind of cement do you use? Cement brings to mind rubber cement and cement trucks!! :-)
Anyway, thanks,

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Fleur, Yucaipa is one of my favorite words. I like to say it.

Thousand Oaks, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi, I'm actually painting 9 of these 99 cent pots! I'm going to paint three each: blue, green and yellow. A friends husband is making me wooden pot holders to use on my back fence. I got the idea from Pinterest. I sealed the pots both inside and out first with JoSonja sealer (comes in a plastic bottle from Joanns or Michael s). I got Marsha Steward acrylic craft paint - will not get her band again, stick with DecoArt. Martha'd was too thick for my liking. I lightly sand with a paper bag between coats --just knocks off the little bubbles or whatnots that seem to appear. When I'm done, I will use spray sealer to seal them - spray sealer is much easier and faster!

I would show pictures, but apparently I have lot the capability of transferring from camera to PC,. it used to do it automatically when I plugged in the camera...will have to look into that! I am rather PC illiterate

Hi. I used the cement in the orange bag. Had some left over from another project. My LARGE terra cotta pot split down the side. I tried wrapping it with wire to keep it together, It worked, but the water kept running out. So I removed the plant and soil, and using gloved hands just patted on cement all around the pot, then used a slightly damp sponge to smooth it out--sort if like cleaning up grout. Then colored the cement using the stain they sell in the same area that they sell the cement. I actually did two of these pots this way, the first - I didn't think to smooth it out so it's rather shabby looking, but both are holding up really well as it's been about 3 yrs that I did it.

Decatur, GA

Thanks keepingactive. so you used the cement truck type cement. ^_^

Yucaipa, CA(Zone 10a)

hey there keepingactive ~ regarding the camera to PC thing ~ I'm assuming that you shoot digital, right? Anytime I load my pics to my PC, I do it straight from the memory card. I don't even mess with that cable cord that comes with the camera for that purpose. I just put my memory card in the right slot on the computer & download to the computer after I create a folder in my photo section. Try it this way & see if it works for you. Then once you get the pics into the folder you create, then you can go in & rotate the pics if they need it.

Good Luck!

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Corset pots! Could be a new trend! Fun idea...

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

I had to go back and look to see what you meant David! By george, you're right!

Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL(Zone 7b)

Love this idea.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I'm inspired! Time to drag those old pots out of storage & get creative. Thanks Kelli. : )

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.