Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Perennials: Gnats are terrible today

Communities > Forums > Perennials
bookmark
Forum: PerennialsReplies: 5, Views: 92
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 13, 2012
12:08 PM

Post #9122217

I've been after my daughter when she divided her coreopsis "Zagreb" that I wanted some more. She gave me my first starts and they need to be divided again. The one is about ready to bloom. She brings me two hugh hunks and said Happy Mother's Day which was fine with me..I can use this gift and have it for a long time. I cut the foliage off and planted the smaller pieces but the gnat are so bad, you can't see, as they are in your face, up your nose, eyes..you spend your time swatting them away from your face. I watered the planted hunks real well and will go back over them again tonight or tomorrow morning to make sure they are kept moist.

Why are all these gnats all of a sudden; they weren't around any this week..We need rain again so bad. Maybe the rain will wash them away or drown them. Is all the gnats some kind of weather sign.? Is there anything that can be sprayed out in the yard for them? I'm calling the landscaping contractor tomorrow and see if they can spray something around.
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9128798

I hope they CAN spray something that will help. The gnats are so bad here that I wish I knew what to spray with. I haven't called the county agent but I will soon. Also, we have root fungus gnats that get into the house and ruin all the house plants. I do not think it is the same gnat. And then we have a little gnat that bites and leaves itching sores. OFF helps, but it irritates my skin. Hope your gnats are not so bad, as bad as they are. Luciee {;^) It may be that we had such a mild winter that they will be here regardless. Luciee

This message was edited May 18, 2012 3:50 PM
ghopper
Brewster, MN
(Zone 4b)

May 20, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9131167

Suppose you have different gnats in your areas. Here we have buffalo gnats that bred in a near by creek. They leave long lasting, itchy bites and hang around till about mid July. Absorbine Jr helps a bunch. You have to reapply frequently and be careful that you don't get it in your eyes. Most repellants don't do much for gnats, hope you find some personal relief.
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9131857

Thanks, ghopper
weedyseedy
Warners, NY

May 24, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9136497

Is it more craziness this Spring? The mosquitoes are out here--already, I was bitten by a deer fly---already, both my son and me have had tick bites--already. On the other hand my earliest red daylily is in bloom--sort of (one scape) and rosa Morden Blush is blooming and I have buds on an echinacia. Due to triple E with a death last year they are already talking about spraying North of here. The weeds are also shoulder high and blooming. Is this life?? No I can't spell-I learned to read seventy years ago with phonics in a one room school house on a dirt road and it's been a trial ever since. ----------------------------------Weedy
weedyseedy
Warners, NY

May 24, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9136533

Is it my incompetence or am I losing pictures?? Tried to post photos on daylily forum of first bloom thisyear and somehow got accidental picture of recently lost cat--will try here just to try and solve question??!

Thumbnail by weedyseedy   Thumbnail by weedyseedy   Thumbnail by weedyseedy
Click an image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Campanula Wonder Bells Blue Gloriaglolms 37 Apr 11, 2009 4:28 PM
Oriental Poppy Pops! Weezingreens 34 Jun 27, 2010 6:36 AM
BLUE FLOWERS Lori_Illinois 62 May 4, 2010 4:09 PM
Triple Roadside/Ditch lily OhioBreezy 21 Jul 9, 2011 6:56 PM
what are you sorry you planted.. thehumblebumble 279 Aug 12, 2012 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America