Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Bird Identification: CLOSED: Carolina Wrens - need some advice

Communities > Forums > Bird Identification
bookmark
Forum: Bird IdentificationReplies: 4, Views: 48
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Mtnma
Ellenboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9122271

I just moved to NC and have unexpected visitors in the form of a pair of Carolina Wrens and their fledglings. Its been years since I have enjoyed these wonderful little fellows. I need to know if they fledge more than once a year and if I am supposed to clean their nest out for next year. The babies are gone and I think the parents moved out too. I'm afraid to move the wren house or interfere with it because they may still be there or they may come back.

Thumbnail by Mtnma
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Flicker
Covington, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 18, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9129038

Leave the house alone. You never know who might use it.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

May 22, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9134341

once the babies fledge they are gone for good. Clean it out and they may nest again in a month or so or another bird may nest in it as well
Mtnma
Ellenboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9136526

Unfortunately, the wrens relocated...into our gas grill. My husband didn't open it first and by the time he realized something was wrong, the new nest was pretty far gone. Six beautiful blue eggs singed beyond repair. Mama has been lighting on a nearby tree and scolds us everytime we go near it. Hopefully they will try again in a safer place. In the meantime I'm leaving the birdhouse alone. Thanks for all of your recommendations.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

May 26, 2012
9:37 AM

Post #9139328

hmmm Wren eggs are not blue.Creamy White with brown speckles or redbrown with dark marks for the Marsh Wren

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America