Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: TEA ROOM # 108

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 197, Views: 1,058
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 13, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9122336

Good morning everyone.. brrrrrr...my fingers are cold after going out to check on all my babies here.
Lucky we have perfect weather in the Tea Room so I can get warm.
I need to sit with a cuppa for a while after moving all the tables & chairs to the new area.

More lovely rain yesterday but it was very cold. Real Autumn weather.
Hubby says frost may be likely soon. I hope not. My brugs are just looking lovely at the moment.

Hello Charleen, Dianne, Anthony and Sue.

Teresa, Sugar will grow out of her fidgets soon we hope. Its funny that some dogs seem to be forever puppies.
Poor Copper, trying to keep up with the younger generation.

Karen, take things very slowly there . Just enjoy sitting around and admiring your garden.

Louise, hope all is well over your way. .

Hello to everyone else. Must get moving and put out the sign. Cant have people getting lost in the woods.
We came from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1253223/

Happy day.
Jean.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 13, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9122352

Stupid me. I left the pic off the post for the new Tea Room and now I have no idea how to add it.
Oh well, you will all just have to find the Tea Room without the pic, unless someone can add it
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Click the image for an enlarged view.

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

May 13, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9122478

Well done Jean , you do look after us , with all those yummy morning teas and nice thoughts. Great job thank you. That's a lovely Autumnal view. My tree have almost lost all their leaves but the pumpkin leaves are still green and so too the capsicums - very strange.I willleave the pumpkins until we have a frost then pick them.

Cold here too, feels wintry.I am going to be burning too much wood if I am not careful.
I barely left the house yesterday,just planted a few alstromerias and then raced back in to the warm.

I still have about 150 other bulbs to go but it will wait a day or so . Freesias, Crocus and Brodaiea mainly.

Daffodils,grape hyacinth are peeking out already and so are the ranunculi.
This will be my first Spring actually living here, so I am wondering what else will pop up that I didn't plant! LOL
Earlier, I did find lots of Monkshoods under the oak trees and transplanted some to the pond verge.

My fig tree is tossing leaves into the pond but they are easy to fish out. I have hung some planters in the fig tree so I can see them from the office here and the dining room. Have some ivies, Lettuces and colchinea in them for now.

Still waiting on the plumber to come and replace the Hot Water Service though. Grrr. and the tree lopper has not turned up either and now it is 3 months since he said he would come, he did come to look about six weeks ago and said "in two weeks" but never turned up - I hate nagging them and I know he hates chopping hawthorns with their long thorns, but it puts holes in the tyres of anything that goes there from cars to mower to my shoes ...and it's leaning towards the road so must go. I made some Hawthorn jelly with the berries but it was a bit bland, better when I mixed them with crabapples.

Thumbnail by chookie2

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 13, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9122570

Just looking at those jars makes me long for hot fresh scones, Chookie...one for each type of jelly...with a dollop of cream.
Lucky you to have a patch of Monkshood growing..I love them...I have one solitary plant, but it flowers well..

Jean, I forgot to to put the word Brugmansia in the new thread...couldn't change that either..

Moon, the movie was very interesting, but I think that mostly Burton/Depp fans would really like it...
For some reason there were similarities to "The Corpse Bride"...but I couldn't put my finger on what they were.
Mind you, I could watch Johnny Depp just walking down the street, especially if he was dressed as Cap'n Jack
Sparrow...lol
Hope you didn't freeze, Anthony...
Dianne.

This message was edited May 14, 2012 12:36 PM
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

May 14, 2012
1:47 AM

Post #9122833

Dianne ,Just what I had for lunch on Sunday. Decided to make some scones for myself and had Passionfruit butter , jelly and jam on them...OK greedy ...but it WAS Mother's Day and all my kids are interstate so I spoiled myself.

Going to take some to Garden Club tomorrow for afternoon tea too. Also a Coffee & Walnut cake which I just felt like making today ...no haven't had any!!! LOL
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 14, 2012
1:50 AM

Post #9122834

Sorry to put a downer on the thread, but you all know how much i love my pets.,,20 yo -bubby the cat died today, quite dignified,-she went to the toilet for me, had a feed, a drink and then it was time...The last of an era...Sooty and cocky helped us fix the grave - now we are very sad

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 14, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9123032

Anthony, so sorry for your loss. Anytime one of us loses our Fur Children it is very Tragic. May Dear Sooty rest in peace and be waiting for you on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge for your return.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9123067

Good Morning

Hope all of you ladies had a lovely Mother's Day. Jean, thank you for keeping up such a lovely tea room for us all.

Chookie, how yummy those all look. It is so annoying having to wait on Trades folk to do their jobs...makes you wonder if they just don't need the income???

Anthony, my heart goes out to you...our furry friends have a way of weaving themselves into our lives and hearts. Bubby reached a grand old age thanks to your love and care. I am so glad for you that he passed easily. A Big Hug for you and a bit of catnip for Bubby

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 14, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9123770

Good morning everyone. a cold & dull Autumn morning here. Very cold, but no frost as yet thankfully.

Anthony, so sad to lose Bubby , but what a good age to live to. Shows all your loving care.

Sue, you are a very busy lady with all your cooking .
I used to love doing lots of cooking when the kids were all small but dont bother now as we are just two and dont eat much in the way of cakes & jams.

Dianne, glad you enjoyed your movie.
Last time I went to a theatre was years ago to see some new film out then.
I was nearly blown out of my seat by the sound. Most uncomfortable to sit in all that din.
I woudlnt go now if I could. I enjoy sitting back at home and watching in comfort these days.

Moon , nice to see you . Glad you enjoy the Tea Room.
Where else can you eat all the cake you want without seeing yourself grow ever larger ?

Charleen, I saw Charleys rear end going around the corner this morning. I think he was looking for a handout.
You should feed the poor skinny fellow ...lol

Hello Teresa, Chrissy, Colleen and Louise.
I have to go and do a few things for hubby this morning before he leaves. The car has to go into the repair place this morning .
A while ago , while it was parked in the parking area next to the CFA HQ, a fool ( who shouldnt have been driving and had no licence for a fire truck )
ran into the back of it and pushed the boot in . We have been waiting on the CFA to get off their rear end and get something done.
Finally , they have okayed the repairs.
We will be without the car for the rest of the week so hopefully wont need to go anywhere.

Better move.
Heres your morning tea treat... Cherry Scones
You can try Sues preserves on them

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 14, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9123889

I went out there for a couple days calling him "Rumball" that is about what he is shaped like. But he seems happy.
I know he would love those scones. I just looked at Joy of cooking and found out difference in Biscuits and scones. I love biscuits...I am going to add some sugar to a batch of biscuits and make scones...:-)
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 14, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #9124207

Hi everyone. Pretty cool here. Haven't got lost but have been getting everything ready for a trip to see the new GG-son tomorrow. We will be back late Sunday night so probably won't see you before then. The boys are tickled pink that they are getting out of school for a couple of days. It's nearly a marathon to go away. There's plants that have to be made safe and watered and chooks and cats and galahs and a dog and clothes to pack and to make sure everything else has been readied. Nearly there now so I can relax a bit. Anthony so sorry to here about Bubby. Sounds as though she had an easy outing. It's does the heart good to be able to be there for the end, especially when they seem to be able to hear your voice and answer with a little weak "mew" and close their eyes, and off they go "over the bridge". I do wish that it was as easy for some humans. I hope everyone is well and I hope that you all have a great day and I'll see you when I get back. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 14, 2012
9:46 PM

Post #9124268

" It does the heart good to be able to be there for the end, especially when they seem to be able to hear your voice and answer with a little weak "mew" and close their eyes, and off they go "over the bridge". I do wish that it was as easy for some humans."
Well said Colleen...

Anthony, you have been a good "dad" to those furry and feathered "kids"...It's little consolation at the moment but Bubby went, the kindest way.

Charleen, clarification please...your cookies are our biscuits, so what are your biscuits?
Our scones are nothing like our biscuits...isn't it confusing...lol

Jean, what a nuisance...hope they don't take too long...
Dianne
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 15, 2012
2:20 AM

Post #9124330

Thanks everybody, its been a tough 6 yrs of losses..,a 20 yr old pet leaves a massive void in your life, when gone,.,.Now the weekly 'fresh kangaroo order' shrinks,.., the pet food aisle at coles will be quicker shopped.,.,and even though Bubby never made much noise, it is very quiet here..,..,.,i better go and put Sooty to bed-Anthony

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 15, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9124522

The Scones have sugar in them, our biscuits don't but I'm going to make some with sugar.
My biscuits are made:
2 c. self-rising flour
1/4 c. butter
3/4 c. buttermilk or sweet milk
Mix flour and butter with pastry cutter or 2 knives (Not done this) or by hand.
pour in milk and form into ball. Scatter dusting of flour on board and roll out
and cut into whatever size biscuit you want.
I believe scones have sugar and maybe an egg, got to recheck. I still want to make some...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 15, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9124564

Isn't it strange that we never notice how much room in our lives our pets take until they are gone? It has been almost 5 months since my Springer Spaniel Chester died and I still have moments that I look for him. Fingers crossed for better times for ya Anthony.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 15, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9125155

Good morning everyone. Some fog here this morning. Yesterday was mild and sunny . The weather thingy of hubbys says its 12C in this small room where we have the computer and all his radios.
I hate to think how low it will be outside...brrrrrrr

I finished all the Roundup spraying yesterday so now I can wait on the next lot of weeds to appear.
Hopefully I missed all the little bulbs popping up. I may have finished off some dutch irises but they were all one color anyway. More will soon come through .

Anthony, keep your spirits up. You will miss Bubby for a while after having him for so long, but time really does heal. and you will find the sadness giving way to many pleasant memories of the time he was with you.

Colleen, Enjoy your trip, the garden will mind itself while you are gone .
Just dont bring home too may new plants.

Moon, hope all is well over your side of the world.
Lots of lovely weather for you.

Charleen, I am sure there is some mischief going on with Charley & those feathered friends . I found a feather near the door this morning and a few cakes missing...hmmmmm

Must be all the chat about scones & biscuits.
Our scones are usually made with self raising flour and butter rubbed together then mixed with a little water or milk to make a dough.
Pressed out and cut then cooked. . Exactly as what you call biscuits.
A plain mix but very yummy with jam.
( no cream for me )
Biscuits are usually a bit more fancy depending on what sort you make.
Most of our biscuits are bought from the shop in packets. ( like your cookies)
Charley seems to like them all .

Dianne, my little girl has opened finally. A very cute little starfish this morning. I will add a pic to the brug thread later.
Hubby came home very annoyed yesterday as the car was not done.
The garage had made some mix up so it wont get done until the middle of next month.

hello Teresa, how is that young spotted lady doing ? Hope all your heating is getting sorted before winter sets in.

Louise, I saw your lovely state of NH on TV yesterday. So beautiful. I would love to live among all that Autumn ( Fall) color you see there.

Sue,I hope your garden club meeting went well and they enjoyed your goodies.

Better go and see what is going on outside. I can hear the chatter of many magpies. They argue over the food when there is plenty for all.
After we lost a few of our favorites, new faces have appeared .

I suppose they get thrown out of their own area so fill the places here. The 2 currawongs are still here . I love seeing them out there.
The small wrens are coming back and I see the regular rosellas each day. The blackbirds are getting very quiet and sit around waiting for a feed just like the maggies.

Enjoy these Cranberry Lemon Slices .
Happy day and keep warm .
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 16, 2012
4:22 AM

Post #9125617

All this talk of scones and biscuits and Cranberry Lemon Slices is making my mouth water.

Anthony, I am so sorry to hear about Bubby. I only pray when I go, its as naturally as Bubby went. I imagine your other pets will miss her too. It is lovely you all said goodbye together.

Have been running about today so not much time for the computer. I say running, but actually its closer to a slow crawl. Saw the doc yesterday and she's told me to keep my activities very low key for another couple of months. Not easy as it sounds though.

It is zygocactus season again, and I'm excited by the number of buds on my plants.
First is a pic of my only fringed zygos. I believe you can get other colours but I've never even seen them.
Next is a rather exciting first time flower. The variegated zygo is not easy to find, so I'm really pleased to see the flower. This one is Variegated Madam Butterfly.

Karen

This message was edited May 16, 2012 4:23 AM

Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong
Click an image for an enlarged view.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 16, 2012
9:07 AM

Post #9125978

Beautiful.
Anthony, a yellow lily blooming today.
semps and sedums
Day lily
Crinium by pond
Pink hydrangea, first year it has bloomed...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 16, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9126317

Morning all, very clear and very chilly here this morning...
Kettle is on Jean...I hear you coming along the path...
Hope you are having a lovely time with the family and it's newest member, Colleen.
Karen, beautiful Zygos...love the fringes...
Charleen the garden is looking great...
Hi Moon and Louise,
Even though it's cold this morning, The fragrance from the Brugmansias near my back door is beautiful..not heavy, in fact a little different to the normal perfume that they have...very welcome on this cold morning.
Have a great day everyone.
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 16, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9126348

Morning...I put another log on the fire...it is indeed getting chilly there...

Hope you all have a lovely day. Some fresh warm brownies for this morning's cuppa.
Moon

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 16, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9126400

Beautiful Dianne.
Yummy, love brownies...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 16, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9126446

Good morning everyone.
My fingers are frozen. Its very cold but as yet no frost , thank goodness.
I have made a start on rearranging my iris area. I will do more today. Hopefully in a week I can plant my first broad beans in the cleared space.
It will be interesting to see which critter starts feeding on them first. Probably the rosellas.

Karen, I have those 2 zygos too. I have a few zygo cuttings growing in the greenhouse that look just like your Madame Butterfly and oddly enough, one is Madame Butterfly from my large original plant.
It is not a variegation on mine, just that the cuttings have been in the greenhouse since last year and need to get outside.
The whole tray of plants look variegated .
I have never seen a real variegated zygo myself. I have one which has red & green segments. Hasnt flowered so I dont know what color it is.

I see your Aspen goes pink in the cold too. I saw a couple of my whites this year, actually bloom white instead of having pink tones. It was not as cold earlier so they stayed white. The cold always turns many pinkish , not only the whites.
After the last few cold mornings , the whites are all looking pink now.

Charleen, your garden is looking bright with those colorful blooms. I like your pond.
My birds would like it too. The magpies love their bath.

Hello Colleen, Dianne, Sue , Teresa and Anthony.
The sun is trying to climb over the trees so I am hopeful of it warming a bit. I will soon get warm anyway , once I start moving the irises.

Enjoy your day and try some of this delicious Chocolate Cake.

Thanks for the morning tea Charleen.
I have been trying to get online for ages this morning. The internet must have been cold...lol

Happy gardening.
Jean

This message was edited May 17, 2012 10:26 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 16, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9126560

Good morning. Into the chocolate recipes this morning, I see. Brownies and choc cake. That does it. I'm going out to buy some of that real dark choc - 85% or more. Did you know, it is legal to eat a piece of the dark chocolate on a diabetic diet? So, its time.

Jean, I would love to see pics of your red and green zygo, and any other variegated ones you think might be. Apparently there is Madame Butterfly, and Variegated Madame Butterfly, so two varieties with that name. The other variegated zygo that I've heard of is Carnival. Apparently these keep the variegations, while others in the past have reverted back to all green. Not that I'm that knowledgeable, its just snippets I've picked up along the way. And yes, the cold does turn the flowers pink. I can't figure why they have to flower right at the time the cold does its worst on them. Sometimes the buds just don't develop once the cold hits them.

I love the fringed zygos and would love to hear if anyone has other colours.

Oops, must run to catch my bus, so catch up later.
Karen
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 17, 2012
2:37 AM

Post #9126859

Charleen, its hard to find a non beautiful lily.,and yours is beautiful!!!,.i have some absolute 'crackers' out at the moment[imported],,.,.Im not a spruiker for businesses here in Tassie.,, but if you get a chance, take a look at the latest 'Woodbridge Nursery' catalogue,.,.,..its chockers full 'of plants'.,,. how strange!!!!! Ive never met these people, but i know they work their backsides off, to produce brilliant and rare material.,.,and also put a lot back into the community[ even if they no longer grow rare liliums] they are worth a look,.,.,.stay well everyone, Anthony

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 17, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9127529

Red sky in the morning, shepherds take warning...yep, we have a very red sky this morning.
Morning everyone...
It's cold after a beautiful sunny day yesterday...I bought a couple more Agastache, carmine red, which is dark pink and a soft pink which is called salmon pink...so I have 3 of these now...I love the citrusy smell of the foliage...
Anthony, I used to buy perennials from Woodbridge, years ago...always something different...thanks for the reminder...
I think that I will be back home pretty quickly this morning...it's cold out there...
A quick cuppa and I'm off...
Back later, I will leave the kettle on, Jean...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 17, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9127553

Good morning everyone. Not as bitey cold this morning but still enough to let you know it is nearly winter.
Just think, in about 5 weeks it will be the shortest day then downhill to Christmas.
Who stole the start of the year ? Seems like it was only last week we had Christmas. ...lol

Anthony, I have Asiatics already showing their heads above the ground . Poor things will get cold standing around out there all winter.
You should not tempt us with more plant sites . I will look but not buy...really, I wont buy a thing... ha ha, who am I fooling, Such pretty plants there.

Karen, I will get out later and see if I can get a few pics of the zygos for you.
I really should get them all back on the shelves. I put them on the ground when I took the door off the shadehouse and the darn neighbors cat knocked some off the shelves.
Now the cat has gone, I will get them back on the shelves.
The tree overhead was making it a bit darker than they like , but now with the door gone , plenty of light for them.
I have a couple in flower that have not flowered before. I am not sure of the names because they are old oness that dont seem to be around now.
Very pretty though.

Hello Dianne, hope you are warmer there than it is here.
I see you are getting a larger shopping centre extension. down your way.
I love big shopping centres.
I used to go to them in Perth with one of my daughters.
You can spend all day wandering around .

Hello Teresa, give the spotty ones a pat for me. Hope all is going well for you at work.
I see things are moving slowly on some of the earthquake damage.

Sue, you should have some Hellebores around your garden under the trees. Mine are starting to put out flower snow. They multiply quickly and do look so lovely in winter.

Hello Moon, thanks for the brownies, delicious. Hope your garden is looking lovely too.

Louise, are you getting things done in your garden ?
Hope you and Hank are enjoying being back in NH . Pat those pretty girls for me.

Charleen, I left some cookies out for Charley but I think he was beaten to them by the deer down the back of the Tea Room garden.
Love your pretty plants.

Hello to anyone looking in.
I will put something tasty out for you all.

Try this Black Forest Cake...yummm

Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

May 17, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9127560

Good morning everyone,Yesterday I replied in a long post and duh it just disappeared. SO I am writing again.

Anthony my commiserations on the loss of your furry friend. They do place their paws on our hearts and yours must have been deeper imprints than many after 20 years.

yesterday was our first frost , not a bad one and my pumpkins are still fine. A friend noted that my garden is much later than his a few klm away, so I may have a nice little micro-climate happening here in the shelter of the oaks and the mountain.

I spent yesterday placing rocks and burying the pond liner around the edges---oh my back! LOL
I planted a lovely Acacia Limelight, a weeping compact Acacia with very fine ferny leaves that will droop over the rocks and hide some of the pond edges, some more ferns, two azaleas and a True Valerian in the bog garden.Still waiting for the frogs to sing. ( I think in Spring I may regret that ! LOL)

On Wednesday I went to Gem Club and cut and polished one of my Meteorites that I found in Saudi and an amethyst from WA. Good fun, and my ginger slice went down well- I love ginger and made it strong but it seemed to be popular.

Garden Club last Tuesday went well too, we had our meeting and then went to visit the garden of a local who has an amazing treasure hidden behind his fence and hedges.It rambled on and on , his kiwi fruit scrambled high over trees on the back fence - I was very envious of that! LOL In the lower back he had an amazing fernery that appeared so natural in the corner, his garden is an acre. We had afternoon tea on the house verandah while a shower passed over, then back into the garden. The owner was also a sculptor and had some nice whimisical characters and old farm implements turned into snails,bees and trees etc. hidden among the shrubbery ..it was a lovely visit and all members left happy.

I am certainly finding retirement fun thus far, and enjoying no tradesmen coming at 8am every day! LOL I am just waiting on the tree lopper now but he has been saying he is coming for 6 months!!

Good to hear everyone is is enjoying the Autumn days and in the North the Spring too.It looks like an outdoor today too,cool but fine at 8am.
Have a lovely day everyone.
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

May 17, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9127571

Jean I have one lonely hellebore which has just one leaf! LOL I put it by the small pond so it can grow and cover some of the rocks. I will look for more next market.

I am just waiting for waterlilies to be available and the waterplantings will be almost done , though most are small just now they will fill out in Spring.

My pumps arrived by courier yesterday so today I will try and place the small one in the pond today.The big one is for the waterfall so has to wait until I can find the right flat rocks to build it.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 18, 2012
1:55 AM

Post #9127997

Chookie, My friend Scott, [an absolute plant growing legend] built waterlily gardens[5 large swimming pools-sunk into the ground at various ground levels] in memory of his mother,.,before long, he asked me to construct cover frames, because the ''longbeaks'' were fine dining on his goldfish.,. Jean, you'll send me back to the doctors with that black forest cake,.,.and im glad you didnt glance that nursery site,.,.-anthony

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 18, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9128230

Good morning all.
I will have to tell Charley, he will keep them chased off.
Look at their faces.. They are watching my little dogs run along the outside of the fence.
Wouldn't dare let those dogs in with those critters. I'd be yelling and hollaring, for sure...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 18, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9128776

Good morning everyone. A light shower of rain yesterday at lunchtime and more during the night.
The ground is still very dry under the surface as I found when digging up the irises.
Lucky they dont have deep roots and come out easily.
I am halfway through so should be able to start planting broad beans when the good rain starts.

Anthony , I did bookmark that garden site as I just might need more plants in spring...

Charleen, those furry ones do look like they would be interested in playing with the dogs ..
I could just see you running after them all , hollering.
Love your butterfly.

Sue, your water lily pond sounds like it will be beautiful when finished.

Hello Karen, Dianne, Colleen and Teresa.
Hope everyone else looking in is well too.

Heres a tasty treat ...GingerBread Cake..
Happy weekend.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 18, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #9128859

Ginger slice and ginger bread cake - I love ginger! Love butterflies and mules too!

Actually had to put the heater on in here this morning as my fingers were too cold to type. Went to make tea, but no milk. The weekend has started off as a disaster, as I can't get going until I've had my cup of tea.

A few more zygos out. No new ones though. So pretty to see the different colours. Not much else out at the moment though. The Autumn rush seems to have finished early here. Could do with a shower just to wet the ground again. The air is very dry and the wind just suck out all the moisture there is.

Hope you all have a lovely weekend.
Karen

Early birds clamor in the trees.

Thumbnail by DawnSong

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 18, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9128938

They are so Beautiful. I love those little birds...♥
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

May 18, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9128988

bit bleak here, we have tickets to the rugby tonight, home game Crusaders vs Blues.
Going to have to wear lots of merino layers I think :)
I'm tired out after cleaning up the dog's room.
Hubby left the crate unlocked so Sugar escaped & played havoc with the lino.
We now have bare boards in there, I had to rip up the rest & bin it.
I really should have taken before & after shots but just wanted to get stuck in & clean up the mess.
The water bowl, an ice cream container, was reduced to a flattened bit of blue plastic with multitudes of tooth marks, there were tiny bits of blue plastic all over the floor along with the contents of the bowl & a few shredded blankets.
I had to mend the new roman blinds, can't do anything about the holes in the fabric but at least it goes up & down again.
This all happened before I got home from work yesterday.
Funny I was just wondering how she would be with a little more freedom...
the short answer - not good!
After the clean up I went outside with them & we played fetch with the toys I uncovered in a pile of junk on top of the fridge.
Copper was like a pup when he spotted his old teddy, he stole it from the top of his crate where I had put it & sneaked off to the lounge with it.
He managed to take 2 more toys before he picked one with a squeaker that made a noise when he grabbed it, I looked around to see him with it in his mouth & a goofy expression on his face 'oops, sprung'
All the playing has them worn out so all is peaceful here for now.
Hubby is asleep on the couch too.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 19, 2012
1:08 AM

Post #9129202

Just read an article in the paper that refers to the houses on flat land, damaged in the Christchurch earthquake that cannot be repaired or lived in again, all 7000 odd of them..
isn't that incredible...you must have been very lucky Teresa...

We drove around a couple of the new estates today that were opened up in the last year, both within 5 mins of our house...in one estate all the cables for the very fast broadband are in and 90% of the blocks have been sold...the average size is around 500sq mts, some a little more some a little less...the land cost around the $150,000 for the cheapest block and so many big houses are being built there...obviously young professionals working in Geelong, who don't want a garden and want sea views...in a couple of years there will be over 500 houses.
and in 10yrs 1600 homes...

The other estate is only a couple of minutes to the Drysdale shopping centre, all they had to do was pull down a couple of houses that backed onto a farm and open it up...at least in this estate, the smallest block is 600sq and there are quite a few 800sq...it's going to be a
pretty estate, they have kept the creek and are making it into a winding lake and the blocks are wide so the houses won't be sitting on top of each other...nothing under $200,000 in this estate, no building at present, the roads are just going in, but stage 1 is sold out and stage 2 is almost gone.

When we came to the Bellarine peninsula 22 yrs ago, there wasn't a traffic light until you hit Geelong...now we need them everywhere...
what with 2 enormous retirement villages being built and all the estates opening up, our green belts that were supposed to keep the identities of the 7 small towns as individual as possible, are rapidly shrinking...I am very glad that I wont be here in 100 yrs, it will probably be housing from coast to coast...
I don't even count Ocean Grove/Barwon heads as part of the Bellarine now, they are almost an extension of Geelong with a few farms in between...and they are spreading towards the rest of us.

One day Geelong will swallow up the Bellarine and go as far as Torquay, then it will be looking at Anglesea...

I think that I'd better go and watch the Bombers play the Tigers...that will cheer me up...
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 19, 2012
1:44 AM

Post #9129208

Dianne, we have a korean'estate' being built next to 'one of the worst ' housing areas in Tassie.,.and the premier thinks its great[The -BIG- Christmas bauble, Lara Giddings],.,.and working in the building industry, i see the [terrible] progress across the south ,for ''rushed in'' New Australians,..,I think its nearly time for me to move to the highlands[ but they purchased a whole town up there as well],..,and ruined the nice quiet weekend of fishing ,for us all,.,.,,I'll say no more.,,Go and watch the football, and remember how it used to be.,,,..HELLO!!!!!!_ where are we heading?

This message was edited May 19, 2012 4:39 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 19, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9129804

Good morning everyone.
Its very chilly here this morning , but no frost.
Hubby said last night there would be a frost so I am glad he was wrong.
I have done over half the work in the iris beds. I am taking things slowly in case I do any damage to my shoulder again.
Thankfully, this will be the last major work I need to do to have all the garden much easier to look after.

Anthony, we are seeing some development coming in the rural areas here too. Not so much close to us but it will eventually sneak in.
I have seen some lovely places just wiped away due to building new estates.
I wonder at the people these days wanting to have a huge edifice instead of being happy with just a nice medium house.
Last time we drove along the coast south of us, we saw miles of large empty houses built for holidays only.
Very few are lived in permanently.
Access to a lot of the coast has been stopped by all this building too.
I am glad I will not be around in 100 years too . I would hate to see what the country will look like.
I think the SciFi writers had the right idea when they wrote books many years ago with humanity living in millions of units , having an allowance for water, power etc,
I see the violence of today leading to more and more wanting to leave the cities or live in high security communities .
There will be a race of poor living outside giant enclosed city walls in the future.
No fresh food and little fresh air.

Dianne, lucky you are still a little way away from the bad congestion as yet.

Hello Teresa. I had a giggle about Sugar and her mischief. I am sorry but it was funny , imagining you coming in the door to chaos.
Copper must have been thinking , aha, theres my toy that person hid from me...lol

Karen, I put a few zygo pics in a new thread for May flowering.

I am going to have the best show I have ever had from them. So many buds on the plants.
I must rearrange the pots so I can see them all as I walk in the shadehouse.

Hello everyone else .
I will leave a tasty treat for morning tea. ...Pumpkin Loaf.

The sun has come out and the sky is clear , so once it warms a little , I will get back to the garden.

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 19, 2012
3:30 PM

Post #9129812

Good morning. Not quite so cold here this morning. Looks like being a glorious day.

As for the rushed developments going in for our sudden massive increase in population, they were in such a hurry to get people's money in but not so quick to put in the infrastructure needed to support such an increase. So now we have overcrowded hospitals (if you can get in at all), traffic jams every which way you turn, and now they decide to do roadworks holding up traffic even more. They pump fresh rainwater out to sea and feed us recycled sewerage (and charge like wounded bulls for it). I don't have much to do with schools, so don't know what the situation there is. Public housing is almost non existant, Australian families trying to live in their cars, while immigrants (legal or not) are being given huge homes and handouts . What has this world come to? I don't want to know. I get so angry. They say we need a population of Xmillion by 2020. Why? What for? We can't feed a population of Xmillion. Housing developments today are tomorrow's ghettos.

Off my soap box now and calming my mind. Teresa, you seem to have your hands full with Sugar while she's in this puppy stage. Was Copper the same at that age? Obviously they must grow out of it.

Charleen, I love the birds too. I cannot understand people disliking them, though I must admit they are messy and very noisy. A small price to pay for their cheeky little faces popping in to see what they can find in the "treat" dish.

Poor dog next door has been left alone again today and is crying. She's an elderly pom, and a darling little thing.

Hope everyone has a lovely Sunday.
Karen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9129832

Yes. some folks are just mean...I love those little birds.
We have folks building around us too. Crazy folks shooting off guns. They don't know who is living on other side of the woods. WE ARE!!!!!
Jean, i just heard a lot of hooves heading your direction when you put that Pumpkin bread out.
Long Ear Stampede!!!!!!

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 19, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9129883

Karen, you can get on your soapbox anytime. As long as we are stating what is public knowledge and not offending the people police, go for it.
It seems we are being gagged by the green media types . One must not say what ones thinks or we will offend someone.
Usually one of those goody two shoes PC persons , who are about the only ones being "offended ".
I agree, it is all very well to build everywhere and bring in upteen people ( legal or otherwise ) but who feeds , waters transports, schools and employs them when our existing population is struggling to manage on limited resources.?
Maybe a return to old values and ways of management would help a little.
You know , that world where everyone took responsibility for their actions and helped their neighbors.
No throwing food away because of some idiots inane ideas of health & safety. No tossing away perfectly good items because they are not the latest 'upscale 'appliance. or clothing item.
Share & trade among ourselves to save waste. Get the Councils to actually do something major with recycling items instead of pretending and tossing things in landfill..
Let people pick up verge items and roadside fallen wood.
Lots more but I had better get off my soapbox too.
It just drives me mad to see such blatant stupidity from our "leaders "...

Charleen, I heard the furry ones coming and dodged out of the way.
I am afraid there is no food left for us now. I will have to get cooking again.

I bet Charley wont eat this treat. ..lol...
Yummy sticky Baklava..
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

May 19, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9129884

Good morning everyone, nice cool mild Sunday morning here. Cloudy but still.

Anthony you friend must have had a wonderful relationship with his Mother. Fancy having a watergarden made in your memory! I would love it! Yes I may have to water for blue cranes and herons but so far have never seen any in this area. The fact that it is so close to buildings and will be hidden on one side by the gazebo -to-be may help I hope. I worry more about the cats to tell the truth.

Karen, I love your variegated ziggy - just beautiful! regarding your worry over our sliding services in Oz... get out into your garden and let the rest of the world slide off your shoulders.I agree with you, but anger and frustration will shorten your life and reduce your pleasure, so put that energy into your soil /pots and grow things instead. Best all round.

Jean, your Ziggy's too sound lovely, I watch a place on the way to town who have two enormous baskets on their verandah, and almost always in flower.I love them and can't wait to get the shadehouse built to have some. I once met a lady in Portland who had her whole backyard covered and full of ziggy's - amazing number and types.
Maybe next time you do the market I will drive up and say hello. As long as it's not September 9th - I am rostered on at the Art Group Gallery in Warrnambool for that day.

I am off down to Geelong on Tuesday for a long awaited Specialist appointment - 6 months wait - how ridiculous is that? Then, if an operation is found necessary it will be an18-24 month wait - ho hum - Australia's medical system has gone to the pack. Even my local doctor is at least a 2 week wait for an appointment- hope I don't ever need them in a hurry!

Yesterday our Garden Club Community volunteers went to Camperdown Station to help clean up the railway station surrounds, prune and trim , pull out some roses ( which I cadged for my garden) and later we will go back and plant up a lot of non scratchy natives to make the station look more welcoming to visitors. it was hard labor in some cases, but we had a tree lopper to cut the big trees back and mulch everything .We will then spread the mulch later when we plant it up. Some of us wondered why the rail don't pay their employees to keep it nice, but it seems when a station looks nice it is at the discretion of the employee, or a friends of the station group is formed.

We are also working on a plan for the town Arboretum but as Heritage Victoria has just assessed and approved some trees and structures in the Botanic Gardens and Arboretum, we now have to wait for them to approve our plans too...and we are told it could be months. Council has warned the budget is so tight there will be no grants for it.

There is also a Friends of Mount Leura Group who plants natives on the picturesque Mount Leura walk and lookout above the town.We are surrounded by volcanic cones and interesting lakes and mountains from a very recent ( 5-20,000 Years) volcanic activity so it is very interesting to geologists and others as it is the youngest in Australia.This area is known as Lakes and Crater Country. I found this gem Olivine rock in my driveway after the scoria from a volcano quarry was delivered. You can just see the green crystals of the Olivine formed inside the rock. On the 27th the Gem Club is going rock hunting on another old volcano where really big Olive crystals have been found- I can't wait to get my head and down and my hammer up. LOL

Thumbnail by chookie2

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 19, 2012
9:52 PM

Post #9130138

That gem club sounds very active, Sue...good one to be in...
Do you have many pieces that you have collected?

When we lived in Keilor, a station nearby had the prettiest garden, only due to the staff that worked there..
just bits of this and that, mainly Pelargoniums and in summer it was a joy...it doesn't look like that anymore...

What made you decide on Camperdown?

I hope everyone feels better after having their say, I feel cheered, just knowing that there are still some sensible people out there, because there are none in politics at any level.

Jean, I wouldn't count on Charley not liking the Baklava...lots of honey in there...lol
Mick had my week old crumpets for breakfast this morning, no butter of course...
Dianne.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 19, 2012
10:00 PM

Post #9130144

No butter, Dianne. How cruel...lol
Sounds like our maggies here. They will eat week old stuff as long as it looks like human food. No urky worms for them.
I have tried giving them worms from the garden..No way...
Yet they love mice & spiders.

Arent our pets weird ??

Jean.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 20, 2012
1:00 AM

Post #9130174

Sue, I envy you living in an area good for fossicking. I collect rocks & crystals, but mostly from the markets when someone else has done all the hard work. I've got some pretty samples though. Hope you'll show us your finds. I so agree that keeping our plants alive and well is a wonderful way of showing our care for the future.

Dianne and Jean, I too am pleased there are like minded people here. Too often we hold back our thoughts because we feel society has moved on and left us behind. Some areas of it have, but that doesn't make things right. We can see all too well where its headed. I saw a muslim woman today covered from head to foot with just slits in the fabric for her eyes, and I really felt like ripping it off. If I was a shop keeper, I'd simply say I cannot serve masked customers, under any conditions. I'd probably get bombed for it though.

Its all been written, prophecied, predicted, but hey, our kids are not allowed to read the bible in school anymore. How are they to know unless we teach them, but then, do they want to know? Its their world now, I guess, and they will have their own challenges to face, just as our parents did with the world wars. We have been the lucky generation really.

It was really a beautiful day today, though all we did was shopping. Still, nice to be out and about.

Karen

Don't know why my liquid amber won't colour up. All others in the area are beautiful reds and gold. Mine is still green.

Thumbnail by DawnSong

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

May 20, 2012
2:00 AM

Post #9130186

chilly here, I rugged up with 5 layers of merino for the rugby last night.
Along with a fleece blanket to wrap ourselves in we were toasty warm.
It was a great game & fantastic seats, 6 rows up from the sideline & directly in front of the try
line.
and the result made us feel warm inside... 59 - 12 win for the Crusaders, yay!
This morning was frosty & -1C, I put coats on both dogs, Sugar wasn't overly keen but didn't fight it.
She was a good girl at training once she remembered what 'sit' means.
I was at my Mum's this afternoon, a friend of hers is selling party plan lingerie so we had a bit of a gathering...
and during that an aftershock hit, it was interesting to see the different reactions, one lady is visiting from Auckland & it was her first experience of a decent shake.
Another lady was quite upset & my Mum was busy telling everyone to stay calm it was nothing to worry about...
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 20, 2012
2:21 AM

Post #9130196

Karen, my liquid amber is up-then down... up /down...up down,..,and then the can is empty... then i get another from the fridge,.,.,.mine are all a shade of 'gold''...[and.. its not just our health system, thats gone to the pack- its everything that the government has anything to do with] ... and.. i will stop there!,..I've had a busy day, weeding and investigating seedling pots from years ago...what's in there/what's not in there?.,very good indications of many new liliums to bloom this year and sadly i lost a fair few as well,.,'thems the brakes''--but, i do have soooooo! many,..,Sooty helped me all day, but then he fell off the boot of the car[playing kitten with a plant tie],. then tripped up the stairs hurting his toes[ too worn out],.,.a bit like me - Anthony

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 20, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9130397

Poor Sooty.
chookie, Love rocks, hope you have a wonderful time and find lots of treasures.
Jean, Dianne's right Charley will eat it, he is one of those "foodie" critters. But I'm thinking most critters are...
Went out on one of my Walks this morning and Charley was behind the cedar tree stealing bits of grass from Wrong side of fence..
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 20, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #9130878

Good morning everyone. We're home after a wonderful few days away. It's always good to get home though. We came in on the bus last night at 9pm and a friend picked us up with all our luggage. The boys were glad to get home too. Boy is it cold here though. The cats and Ben are so glad that the heater's on again. I went and did some shopping for the boys, just around the yard clothes, trackies and long-sleeved T-shirts, but I did get them some singlets. 4 for $5. that's a really good buy. I got a lot of brom pups from John's broms. Will have my day cut out today washing our clothes and potting broms. I've decided to let the boys have another day off today as it was a very late night last night as they were so excited to get home and I couldn't just pack them off to bed straight away. It was after 12 when I got to bed. The kettle's on Jean and I'll pop back later when I catch up with everything. Here's our new little baby Kaiden Joseph Colleen.

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 20, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9130901

Good morning everyone.
The sun is shining on a very nippy morning.
I will finish all the iris moving & replanting today then sit back and wait for a good rain before I plant any vegies.

I have a lot of very large iris clumps here now. They do get big very quickly. Most will just sit over the back along the fence where I tossed them. Some will sell but there are way to many to bother trying to sell them all.
I have made my money on them as I never paid much for each rhizome and have sold hundreds. .
If any of you want any iris yell out. They will be all just mixed unnamed now as I didnt bother keeping names on the rejects.

Karen, I know how you feel and I would too. How do you know who you are dealing with under all that material. For all we know it could be a man with a gun..
Its not paranoia but commonsense to want to see people you are dealing with.
I used to collect rocks etc when I was travelling around. trouble is they get too many and way too heavy to cart around.
I found some lovely pieces along some of the roads in parts of NSW. You can search for tiny rubies and other pretty bits in some areas around Bingara.
I found some very nice pieces of jasper there too.
There is a place where a glacier once sat in WA which has some beautiful stones .

Teresa, Sugar must have decided being warm was worth putting up with the coat.

Glad the aftershock wasnt too bad, but it must have been unnerving for those not used to them.

Sue , you seem to be settling in very well with lots of hobbies to keep you occupied.

Dianne, you were right, all the Baklava disappeared down Charleys throat..

Charleen , that mule will eat anything. Bless him , hes so cute. ( better not let him hear me say 'cute'. I might be insulting his male pride )

Anthony, trust you to have the other "liquid amber " close at hand . I bet you needed it after doing all that work weeding & cleaning.
Poor Sooty. I hope you didnt laugh too much at him when he fell off.
I have more little asiatic leaves poking through the ground. I should be seeing some nice larger clumps as they multiply.

Hello Colleen, glad you all enjoyed the trip and the new baby is very sweet.

I am not going outside just yet. Its still quite nippy and the iris area is in shade until about 11am this time of year.
I will do some sorting of seeds etc until then. I have lots to plant in spring.

Here we are nearly into winter so rug up everyone and keep warm.

Heres a treat ...warm from the oven ...Walnut & Cinnamon Loaf
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 20, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #9130999

Good morning all. Anthony, thanks for the laugh this morning. Loved reading about your liquid amber. Hope Sooty's feet are recovered from their short trip.

Jean, walnut & cinnamon loaf - I've never tried that. Sounds yum. I did get out before brekky this morning and trimmed back some of the jungle bits. I have ferns growing where they are not wanted and they are spreading like wildfire. They are fairly easy to pull out though. Also cut back the variegated umbrella some more, but I don't think I'll ever get rid of it. It began as one plant, but has set roots where ever the branches touched the ground and I didn't get to them. I didn't realize it was happening. The bush was so lush and happy looking, but then it began to invade other plants in that area.

Teresa, your guests had an experience they hadn't counted on. Not being used to the earth moving like that, I think I'd still be running.

Charleen, give Charley a nuzzle from me, and a nice bit of hay.

Colleen, keep warm. It did get cold suddenly, though I think it has warmed up a bit (here at least). I was wearing socks, but don't feel the need at the moment. What a beautiful photo of the boys. Kaiden is adorable with those lovely eyes.

A bit of running around to do today while Barry is here with the car, so better get up and at it.

Karen

This message was edited May 20, 2012 5:01 PM

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 20, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #9131038

Here Charley is, this morning. Stealing a bit of grass from the yard. He doesn't think the pasture's grass is as good as the dog pen grass. Kaitlin is watching him too...
I have the largest yellow daylily blooming. so pretty.
Colleen, the new baby is so cute, full head of hair too!!!
Charley sends you all nice sweet nuzzles...

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 21, 2012
3:27 AM

Post #9131445

Horrible wind !!!!!!!, i wish it would hurry up and rain,.,..,I came home to 6 snapped lily stems in full bloom,.,.its upsetting!!,.,.I suppose these are the things you have to put up with, 'being a high society, know nothing, lily grower,with just enough land to hold a ''two - up competition'''- or roll out a 'twister' board,.,.?- anyway, life goes on!Sooty is still cruising,even though he trod on a cactus[twice] tonight, in pursuit of a baby mouse,.,. Cocky is in an absolute 'mongrel of a mood',.he grabbed the radio controller face, in the car today...[probably the wind],. MORE bulb purchases[up to about 200 now] and a few are mine!!!- enquiries to the US about more purple seeds[cant get enough purple]..,and now im worn out again- Anthony[soon i will succumb to the recliner chairs spell- and fall into a deep sleep]- at least til 10, when i get abused for snoring!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9131632

Poor Anthony...
Honey comb butterfly bush and bumble bee...

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 21, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9132348

Good morning everyone.
Light rain here overnight was most welcome. ( 20 points )
I finished all the iris moving so the rain will water them in nicely.
Once I clean up all the dead leaves etc, I can start thinking of getting my broad beans in.
I will be planting up a couple of those hanging tomato bags later in the year. My son has one and said they are very good for the tomatoes.
As I no longer use my clothes host , I will hang the bags on it where they get lots of sun and are up away from the sluggies.

Anthony, dont send your wind up here.. Like you , I hate the wind. It beats the poor plants around the head all the time.
Bad luck with your broken liliums. You will need a map soon so you can find your way around them.
I hope Cocky didnt do much damage in his bad mood.
Sounds like poor Sooty needs a pair of boots .

Charleen, thats a very pretty buddlea. I like your little friend on the flower.
I must get out and plant a few more buddleas. I love seeing all the butterflies when the flowers are out.
I left some stale bread out for the furry ones. No cake for them today.

Karen, I hope you are taking things very slow there. It is so easy to get out in the garden and get carried away with doing all the jobs you find.
They will still be there tomorrow.

Hello Teresa, Colleen, Dianne, Sue and anyone else popping in for a cuppa.

Louise, hope all is well over your way. Enjoy your garden and those two darlings girls.

Heres a treat for everyone ...Chocolate Coffee Cake.

Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 22, 2012
12:38 AM

Post #9132998

Just popped in to grab a slice of chocolate coffee cake for supper...
Had to laugh at Anthony's liquid amber...very clever...
Sounds as though Cocky could do with one...
Catch up later, keep well everyone...
Dianne
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 22, 2012
2:18 AM

Post #9133020

I try
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 22, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9133948

Good morning everyone.
Quiet here this morning, but you must all be very busy getting the gardens settled in for winter.
We had some more lovely showers overnight. Just at the right time to water in the iris I replanted.

Colleen , there is a bud on the winter hippie already.
Last year it put up two lovely flower stems.

Lots of green shoots on all the things I cut back in the cottage garden.
I must get back in there and chop a bit off the plumbago so the philadelphus can breathe.
It has survived for quite a few years next to the plumbago but is not as fast or as large a grower.

Anthony, we do love your sense of humour , it brightens the day.
I hope Cocky is in a better mood now.
How is poor Sooty going ?
No more falling down , I hope.

Karen, you must be getting quite a lush garden now with the rain I see coming up your way,

Sue, How is the pond coming along ?
You will be very busy with all the fruit etc you are growing there. I see an old fashioned pantry full of yummy things.

Dianne. my salvias are loving this weather and are growing very tall now. I have 3 that are nearly 4 foot high.
The lady who has a salvia garden on a farm a few miles away, had salvias reaching her roof.
Of course she had plenty of manure and a more sheltered space. I havent seen her around lately so am presuming the lovely garden is still growing.
I need a few more of the hardier ones. I have quite a few small ones but they never get very thick. More of a pot type that sprawl.

Teresa, I hope the rock n roll has subsided again.
Has Copper still been hiding his old toy from you ?

Charleen, I see that Charley ate all the stale bread I left out for him. Hes not fussy about food as long as its edible...lol
I'm sure he had a couple of helpers as I saw a feather there.

Hello Moon and Louise, hope all is well in your part of the world.

Chrissy, the brugs are enjoying the cool weather and I look forward to masses of blooms in the spring.

I had better see what I can put out for morning tea. ...I have some lovely sandwiches for mine.
I always joke with hubby about him having supper at the meetings he goes to and not bringing me any.
Well last night , he did . A packet of lovely sandwiches as a surprise.

Here is your treat for today...Chocolate Angelfood Cake.
Happy gardening.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 22, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9133985

Good morning everyone. Quite cool here but the sun is shining so hopefully another nice day. Jean, My Salvias are flowering too and the winter hippy has 2 nice buds as well. They are pretty aren't they? I have a lot of little ones growing too but they will be a couple of years from flowering. Imagine a whole pot full of blooms. mmmmm. Lots of buds on the brugs but I don't suppose they will like the cold. Avalanche is covered with buds, Lipstick. OSA. RFP, BF. Clementine, BB and the noids. I have many BF x PP seedlings up Dianne but only 2 RFP X Angioletto. My son is collecting the 10 litre mayonnaise buckets from a friend and I'm going to use them to put my brugs in later. Nice green and white and yellow ones. Well had better get the boys moving. Hope everyone is well and have a great day. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 22, 2012
11:58 PM

Post #9134604

Hello all. A glorious sunny morning turned into a very grey afternoon. Only a shower though to show for it. A bit warmer than it has been lately. Not complaining, its nice.

I've had so many birds coming in, and are they leaving a mess all over my plants. I hope it washes off in the rain. I'm wondering if there isn't much food around for the birds at the moment, especially the nectar eating birds. But I've even had a couple of crested pigeons coming up onto the verandah looking for something to pick at. I guess they are hoping my bird will toss something down to them. I did leave an apple out, and there is nothing left but skin.

Barry got me this beauty last weekend, and the flowers are opening up fully now. Just beautiful. A double Calibrachoa.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 23, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9134926

Karen, Love the basket. that plant is popular, everywhere. I have some too. waiting for 2 nd round of blooms... When i saw the tiny blooms just fell in love with them. Love the different colors.
Jean, Charley and those chickens just fly everywhere don't they???☺ ☺
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 23, 2012
1:44 PM

Post #9135454

Good morning everyone. I had a terrible night's sleep last night. Don't know what was wrong but I kept waking every couple of hours so decided to get up at 4am. Nice and peaceful at that time but can't do anything outside as even if it wasn't so dark it's a little bit cold for my tootsies. Probably will have to have a Granny nap later. lol Charleen I saw Charlie carrying those feathered friends on his back into the tearoom earlier. He takes them along as accomplices I reckon. We all brought colds back from Adelaide. Not too bad , just a lot of sneezing and sniffling. John's got it too. I hope the baby doesn't get it. He's a dear little fellow, so tiny though. I visited my sister while I was down there. She has a back yard like mine. Plants everywhere. Looks nice though. She's about to retire on the 2nd July, then she'll get her house ready for the market and buy closer to her son so he can keep an eye on her place while she does a bit of travelling. That's the plan anyway. I'm not a good traveller myself, I like to be at home with my animals and garden. We're like chalk and cheese. Well Jean I've put the kettle on for anyone else who couldn't sleep. Hope you're all well and I'll catch up later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 23, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9135567

Good morning everyone. Cold here this morning after 2 milder days when it rained.
The rain was just enough to turn the top of the ground sticky. ugh..
I have finished all the irises so can now get everything ready for vegetables.
I will throw some lime around and also a bit of superphosphate then wait for a good rain to plant thongs.

Thanks for putting the kettle on Colleen. I was awake very early for some reason too. I was not getting out at 4.30 in the morning for anyone.
I finally dozed off again then was a bit late getting up. Hubby never wakes until I get up so he didnt notice we were a bit later than usual.
The maggies were all squawking at the door demanding breakfast . They know what the time for meals is.

Hello to everyone popping in , I hope you are all enjoying some fine Autumn weather and getting out and about in some sun
Shopping day today so we are off soon. I will leave you all something nice for morning tea, but you will have to be quick to beat that Charley Mule & his feathered friends

Here we are ...Date & Carrot Loaf..
Happy day. Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 23, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9135600

Good morning. The sun is shining again, so we'll see what the rest of the day brings. I need to get to the shops again for some foodie stuff. The fridge is bare again. Why do we have to eat? So many other things I'd like to spend my money on. Like more plants!

Charleen, I love the the Calibrachoa. The singles always drew me in, and the doubles are lovely too. Do you get the doubles over there? I noticed a lady asked, on FB, but she is from the US too. Big W had these, but I've seen them in Bunnings and at a local nursery as well. Very popular and colourful.

Well, I've got the heater on this morning. Just on low, but the cold got into my lungs and I started coughing like crazy. Only the heat will stop it. Makes my eyes sleepy though, and I need to get my act into gear and get moving.

Hope everyone is having a great week.
Karen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 23, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9135814

Yes, I think I told her to check out Lowes, I got some there, or Home Depot. Love the little things..
I believe that lady lives in Texas too.
Well, Girls, Charley says "If you got to say bad things to me over a little cookie or two, I'll turn my back" I ain't gonna tell Charley i think he has a pretty rump. It might make him Big headed☺
So here he is Front view too. I'm so bad I don't care what end I'm looking at I think he is beautiful..☺
Then there are Donkey days too.
Nuzzles and hugs to all...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9135838

Charleen...Big W is Wal-Mart here. The Wal-mart garden centers do carry them also I believe.
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

May 23, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9135888

Morning everyone, have been away for a day or so to Geelong.Had to go to the Specialist but the good news is I do not need an operation , I do need physio though so that will be a drag. This from a fall I had in Saudi last March!

I have collected a few rocks on my travels, unfortunately when I left the Wimmera I left most of them behind, so I am starting again. I do have some nice desert Roses from Morocco and some amethyst I found in West Aust though ( see pic) . Hopefully on Sunday I find my first Olivine ( also called Peridot) apart from the one I found in my own driveway LOL.

Many years ago I had a shop where I set and sold opals but have only two unset stones left now.
Dianne, I chose the Camperdown area for the reliable rainfall, good soil and the studio attached to the house ( old shop). Love it here and have been made very welcome too. The view from my dining room sold it to me.

Colleen lovely baby boy, isn't it wonderful to have babies around. welcome to the world little Kaiden may it hold all you could wish for.
I am waiting to be a great-grandmother but not happening any time soon.Babies seem to come later in life these days. I had my first at 17.My grandaughter and eldest grandson are both 24 and still nothing planned- no wedding - no babies - just work.LOL

Jean I do love a full pantry and yes I will be preserving until they carry me away I think. The pond is really going well.Have everything but waterlilies planted now. Still waiting to find the right rocks for the waterfall, but have the pump going in the smaller pond and the fish love it.
Raining now but will take some pics when it is sunny.

Thumbnail by chookie2   Thumbnail by chookie2   Thumbnail by chookie2

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 24, 2012
12:16 AM

Post #9136162

Love the Amethysts, Sue...
I have a piece like those, a tiny bottle of sapphires the size of a pins head and some slices of pretty thunder eggs...years ago I wanted to get serious about fossicking and always wanted to discover my very own thunder egg...needless to say, I am still waiting to do it...
I think that you have chosen a wonderful lifestyle...good on you...

Yesterday we went to Kilmore as usual and going thru the Wombat forest...I was just saying to Ray, that I had only seen 2 dead Wallabies, when all of a sudden one of the silly buggers, hopped across the road in front of us and continued hopping along the verge, level with the car...Ray slowed down in case it decided to cross the road again...thankfully it hopped for a while then went thru a farm gate, it knew where it was going...scared me though...
Funny thing though, while the wallaby was hopping alongside the car, in my mind I was saying Boing, Boing Boing for each of his hops...crazy hey...

Up around Gisborne the colour of the trees is beautiful, reds and oranges everywhere...it's a pretty spot...
I think that our beautiful gums enhance the colours even more than if all the trees were coloured up for Autumn...the Autumn foliage stands out like a flame amongst the green...very lovely...

Here's what's left of my summer Calibrachoa basket, only the purple remains...I can never keep them more than a year...

Have a nice evening all.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 24, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9136359

boing, boing, allI have is the thunder of little hooves and I'm glad that doesn';t happen too much...I'd be boinging too.
That is a beautiful site out your window.
That first rock reminded me of a Morale Mushroom. Love it...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9136412

Good Morning.

It is easy to see why you landed there Sue. That view is beautiful.

Hope you all have a lovely day.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 24, 2012
2:25 PM

Post #9136966

Good morning everyone. Have just popped in to put the kettle and the heater on in the tea room for you all. It rained all day here yesterday and was bitterly cold. I hope the sun makes an appearance today and that darn southerly wind stops. Sue what a lovely peaceful place you have there. I'd be in heaven if I could live somewhere like that. I have a doctors appointment today and a friend of mine is coming the watch the boys as they have another student free day. Last time I made this appointment Branden was sick so I had to postpone it but I'm not doing it again. Have a lovely day and i'll catch up again later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 24, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9137027

Good morning everyone.
It is very cold and wet but I am not complaining. I want the rain and we missed all the bad wind etc from Adelaide so far.
We did have a couple of days of strong winds but thnakfully the wind has gone again.
Yesterday was cold and showery but not uncomfortable. I didnt need my coat so shopping was done without having to dash from shop to shop in the rain.
No plants anywhere that called me to take them home. It is a pitiful place to look for plants in Hamilton.
There is only Mitre10 which seems to only stock plants I dont want or potbound ones that I wouldnt buy.
There is a nursery, but I wont pay such high prices for any plant .
The nursery seems to be filled more with giant pots than plants.
I often wonder who buys all those giant pots.

Sue , you are right about your area being good for plants. I had an aunt who used to live there many moons ago with the loveliest garden on vegetables.

Colleen, hop you trip to the docs goes well.

Dianne, are you getting some of this lovely rain ?
I hope all that weather they were forecasting for Melb. misses you. ( and me )

Anthony, you will have icicles on your nose down there. Dont get lost in the snow.

Teresa, hope you are not getting too much wild weather either.
hugs for those spotty ones.

Moon, how are things over your way, you will be thinking bikinis soon...lol

Charleen, I fianleey caught up with Charley and gave him some cake and a big hug. He is very friendly.
He knows who has food for him.
I didnt see Kaitlin & friends with him though.
I am sure he dodges them when he thinks food is around.

We have to go out early this morning as hubby has to have a blood test before seeing the doc. One has to be at the clinic in Coleraine before 9 am.
I will pop into the supermarket for a few things I didnt get yesterday.
Isnt it always the way though. Something gets forgotten on shopping day.

Louise , hope all is well over your way.
pat the girls for me.

Heres something yummy for morning tea... warm Banana Muffins

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9137066

Hubby and the Grandson may be thinking bikinis...me I am thinking new sun screen...grin. It is 33C here and windy...no rain since last week here...falling all around us in buckets, but not on my garden. The wind just sucks the plants dry, so been watering all day...and weeding...

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 24, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9137213

I made some Zucchini muffins. Oooooo,They are so good. Got plenty of zucchini. made a casserole the other day.
A friend from Work sent Robert home with some Four O'clocks. I do believe they may make it, I trimmed them back and plant last night, made a sign tonight.
Also planted a First Belle from another Fella in a trade. Been busy. tore up lawnmower, I guess, they don't last as long as they used too. going to get BIL to look at it. Hubby thinks it is good and dead. But I'm hoping Patrick will revive it. Always something.
I was mowing the tall grass for the long ears and I had got the last mowed and it shot craps...
I was surprized hubby didn't have a fit but God Is Good. So glad Hubby didn't. At one time he would have had a real fit.
They still got their grass.
Hugs and nuzzles to all. Colleen hope things come out good for you.
Prayers for you...
Hibiscus Bloom.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 24, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9137395

Good luck with the 4 o'clocks Charleen, they are lovely...
I had to laugh at the expression describing the dead mower, "It shot craps"
The different expressions are fun to read...I would have said "It gave up the ghost".
Don't ask how that saying came about, I can only assume that it's dead and it's ghost has risen...lol

What's worse Moon, hot and dry or cold and pouring...6 of one, half dozen of the other...

Jean, it's pouring, hasn't stopped all day...hope you're getting the rain, the wind is the scary thing it's gusting very strongly...
The races are on at Geelong and even though it's an all weather track, it's a bog...I'm looking at it on TV and they may well cancel the meeting.
I'm off to the hairdresser now, I've been soaked twice today, so another wetting won't hurt...
Keep dry if you can..
Dianne
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 24, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9137419

Oooh, I just made some zucchini frittatas. Popular vegetable today.

Hope the sun screens work for you. Raining here this morning, still very overcast. May rain some more yet.

Nice place, nice rocks Sue. I have always been fascinated by desert rose formations (rocks, I mean) but I don't think I've actually seen one, just pictures.

Is it snowing in Tassie? The clouds have actually made things much warmer here. I had a trackie top on but it was too hot.

Dianne, I am just getting involved with some development projects being proposed around here that will kill off even more wildlife, including endangered species such as the Spotted-tailed Quoll found in a comparatively small area here that is being threatened with the construction of a major highway going south. What people don't seem to realize is what such a highway would do to the south. Once that area is opened, developers would turn it all into a wasteland of bitumen, bricks and concrete all the way to Rathdowney at the foot of the mountains, down to the NSW border. I think those rural areas have felt too safe for too long, as their local council did not approve highways going down that far. But this highway will go right to their borders, and it won't be long after that it will all start spilling over. It won't happen in my lifetime, but I can see the preparations for it being done now.

Jean, I guess as we get less land for individuals to live on, giant pots are becoming more popular to grow trees in. You can grow 3 or 5 fruit trees on one graft these days in a pot. No need for land at all. Sigh...

My variegated vanilla orchid. The branches need to be some 18-20 feet before it will bear vanilla bean pods. Mine only has about another 14 or more feet to go. Lol! Meanwhile though, it is a lovely plant for a hanging basket, for now at least.

Anyone travelling on the wet roads, travel safe.
Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

May 24, 2012
8:04 PM

Post #9137430

Good Morning to everyone, good solid rain happening, apparently up the road had 2 inches overnight but my rain gauge is sitting on the kitchen bench waiting for me to fit it so I am not au fait with my rain yet.

Yes that view was a real sales point for me , added to the fruit trees , two one hundred year old oaks, a huge maple and the sheds and shop area for my studio and I simply forgot to look at the condition of the house! LOL Oh well it is almost done now.

I am moving furniture, hanging curtains and waiting for the studio floor covering to be laid then all is done inside. I do want a deck out near the pond on the back of the studio as well as the gazebo, but they can happen slowly later. The man to do do the outside cladding said "a month' more than a month ago , but then the tree lopper said "in two weeks" two months ago!! LOL Patience Sue.

I enjoy collecting rocks and the associated memories.I do remember years ago collecting rocks in the creek at Coleraine Jean.Maybe again one day later this year. I think all nurseries are pretty expensive nowadays, they don't grow their own anymore, just buy in from a middle man so it all expense and outgoings for them. I swap a lot with other gardeners online and in the club.

Today it is so wet I am going to light the fire early and read my two new books that came in the mail yesterday.One on poultry breeds of the world in lovely colour and the other a geology rock collecting mine of information, to remind me of what I have forgotten.LOL

I think it is going to be a cold and wet fossicking day on Sunday so I will rest up and prepare myself...we are going to lunch in Penshurst after the 'dig' at Mortlake so that will will be fun and I will meet some new people .All good. I am wondering though how we clean ourselves up to go to lunch after we leave the quarry- I guess an old hand will tell me. And I will take my baby wipes too! LOL

These are some more images of the backyard.The container is 10ft high and 40 ft long to give some idea of scale. The trees are huge! The bottlebrush is a wonder of flowers and the bees love it. My worldy possessions rested in the container for five years while I worked overseas, I am unpacking it very slowly and having Christmas each time I open a box. LOL Not sure yet how I am going to move the really heavy workbenches and furniture in there though ...I was much stronger 5/6 years ago it seems. Pity my son moved interstate isn't it. LOL
HMM website didn't like so many pics so one is it.

This message was edited May 24, 2012 7:14 PM

Thumbnail by chookie2   Thumbnail by chookie2

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 24, 2012
8:56 PM

Post #9137489

No more rain here after a few light showers overnight. and yesterday. The wind is now coming from the south/ west and is freezing.
I did go out this morning and rake up all the dead iris leaves and throw some lime and sheep manure on the beds ready for lots of lovely vegetables
I am not going out again as I am sitting next to the heater and enjoying my cuppa.
Hamilton apparently ha d a real downpour last night with washaways along roads. I'm just glad it waited until after we had gone home with our shopping.
I sometimes complain about rain etc missing us here on the hill, but thats one lot I am glad went by .
Jean.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 25, 2012
3:20 AM

Post #9137679

No snow here, but it has rained for 24 hrs +[but we needed it],..,I knocked off work at 11 and came home to tidy up and plant more bulbs..,The firewood is stacked high next to the heater, and the heater is up on 1/2 ..years ago, we would have had 5 cats asleep in front of it!!![i miss them all!],.,

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 25, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9137853

I had the Zucchini muffins baked when Robert got home. I had 24 , used self rising flour . Must have been pretty good, i had baked the for a fella who gave me flowers. I sent him 9, now I have to wait to see if he likes them as much as Robert did.
Maybe we will get some of the rain, send it on up.
first one is noid
second one is Angel's Moonlight.
My little yellow one had a bud too. So I am getting anxious for Brug blooms.
got plenty of zucchini so will be making some more muffins...

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 25, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9138521

Good morning everyone.
Its fog here this morning after a freezing day yesterday.

Teresa, I hope all is okay with you. Poor Christchurch getting yet another earthquake. I see where the nickname of "shaky isles "came from.
It must be frustrating for those trying to repair when more shakes threaten their work.
Hope the spotty one shave their warm coats on when you go out.

Charleen, I do like zucchini recipes but I remember the first time I ever planted zucchinis.
I planted the whole packet of seeds hoping that at least one or two plants would grow.
They all grew.
I had the darn things running out of my ears. They were everywhere.
If I didnt pick them quickly, they grew huge overnight . I could not give them away as noone wanted big ones.
I soon learnt to only plant one or two seeds
Try them grated in carrot cake..
I like to cook them along with broccoli & bok choy , then add some mixed seeds like pumpkin etc.

Dianne, I hope you are not washed away there. Such a lot of rain again. Your garden will be looking lovely & green.

Anthony, you will miss the cats for a long time . Maybe in a little while you could give a warm & kind home to one of the many in shelters

Hello Moon, Sue, Chrissy , Louise and Colleen.
I wont be doing much outside today . Its very sticky in the garden after the rain, but the plants are loving it.

Have a great weekend and enjoy this ...Carrot & Pineapple Cake.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 25, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9138690

Got to go pick them tomorrow. We haven't been getting much rain so they aren't going to last much longer. We have to water other gardens but haven't started in on garden. Poor thing...
Anthony, anytime I lose one of my furbabys I miss it for a long time. My old horse has been dead 5-6 years and I still miss MY SAM...

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 26, 2012
1:05 AM

Post #9138975

Been 17 years and I still miss my little dog. He was a neighbourhood legend in his time.

Thumbnail by DawnSong

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

May 26, 2012
2:39 AM

Post #9138991

well another shake yesterday, 5.2 so a good one!
was helping a customer with fabric, we paused our conversation till the rocking & rolling stopped then went back to what we were doing.
the customer had her young son there so I made a point of keeping things light - children get more upset if the adults make a fuss.
Other than that it is all good here, getting colder, but I know where to get good merino clothes ;)
wearing Drizabone layers now & very cosy.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 26, 2012
2:51 AM

Post #9138994

I remember when you lost your horse, Charleen..it must be so sad when an animal is that big..6 years since Gizmo, my cat died[Lilys mum][ Puss's daughter][Bubbys aunty]..,,.each a different personality,...,I potted up 19 'milkshake pink' trumpet lilies ,grown from seed[in 14 mths], today[cant wait to see them] and many more seedling ''BEAUTIES'' to pot up yet,.,.Im loving it!!!!!,.,.,Teresa-- Oh- shake, shake, shake.,.,.,.,shake shake shake.,.shake your booty!..stay safe

This message was edited May 26, 2012 4:54 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 26, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9139596

Good morning everyone.
Very nippy here this morning but no sign of frost while the clouds and rain are around.
This is good as the brugs are popping out buds which I would not like to see ruined by frost.
Lots of green coming through the ground now. The daffodil leaves are all poking up.
For some odd reason, although a lot of my plants are later than most around the area, the daffies are always early.
I am not getting much done outside while its all wet & sticky , but at least I finished moving the irises and have the vegetables area ready to plant.

Anthony, sounds like the string bikini has been put away for a while down there. Keep warm.
Love to see all the liliums in spring.

Teresa, so glad you are not badly affected by the latest shakings . Hope Copper & Sugar are behaving nicely.

Karen, I still miss my faithful Opal . She died many years a go and I have had doggy friends since , but she was one that took my heart completely.
I remember her as a young pup getting between me and a strange man at the door one day. She was very protective and showed all the intelligence of her breed ( German Shepherd).

Dianne, I said to hubby that I may sing to my brugs and he laughed and said they would die of fright.
Lucky he was only joking or I may have hit him with a brug...lol
He may not have been wrong though. I have heard myself sing ...not good. I will never make the top 10..

Sue, you will be feeling the cold down there now . Hope you have lots of nice fruit & jams for winter puddings.
You may need a blanket over your fish pond. Poor things wont like the ice on top of the water as winter gets here properly.

Colleen, how are all your cacti going ?
They will be hiding under the brugs or moving into the shadehouse for winter.

Charleen, send us some of your sun to see us through the winter.
We should be happy we dont get as cold as you do or have snow , unless we are up on the mountains.
Hugs for the furry ones.

Moon and Louise, hope you are also enjoying lovely weather.

Better see what I have in the kitchen for morning tea.

Here we are , try this ...Chocolate Marble Cake.

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

katciao
Brisbane
Australia

May 26, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9139664

Hello all. Take the cold blasts back! We don't need your penguins and ice floes!!! Feeling pretty raw as have been dealing with much unexpected nastiness..my daughter's marriage has broken up, ultimatums from the inlaws..amazing how people show their true colours. We are trying to get her personal belongings..forget the "she owns half of everything" idea. His controlling parents are demanding her keys back etc etc and have given her just this weekend to be gone. All this came out of the blue..I guess she didn't expect she'd have to be a "Stepford" wife for the social climbing upwardly mobile. Think "Meet the Parents"..we are the eccentric, fun loving ones..she was never going to be what was obviously expected but must have looked like a trophy, stunner, (I always joke, like Elly May from the Clampetts, LOL) right school and friends, but, shame about the kooky family..LOL..kooky but all branches are close and loving. No grudges, spats with any on her side. Oh well, she's young and, as they say, future's bright. Just painful now and I hate standing firm against bullies. Gardening will be a pleasant release when we get the final few things...
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 26, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #9139702

Good freezing Sunday morning everyone.

Anthony, I don't think I could live in Tassie. My brother lived there for a short while and moved back up to north Qld. because he couldn't get warm enough. One extreme to another. I don't like extremes of heat or cold.

Hi Kat, nice to see you again. Oh, I really don't understand breakups. The bitterness is too often leaning all to one side, and that side can make life so miserable. It took my daughter years to get her hateful and vengeful ex out of her life. She lost so much, material and mental, but she stayed strong knowing she didn't need to let him bring her down to his level. It took every ounce of strength she had though. Mine too. I hope your daughter's ex isn't so vicious. The inlaws have no rights in all of this, and should keep their noses out of it. The courts will settle it, but the costs are astronomical. My daughter got off cheap at around $20,000, but only because she stopped trying to fight him. It wasn't worth it, especially as there wasn't that much to fight over anyway.

A nice pic from Mt. Cotton.

Keep warm
Karen

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 26, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9139790

Hello Kat. Sorry to hear of your daughters troubles. Been there, done that , too
One of my daughters was left holding the baby , literally. He walked off while the baby was barely out of hospital.
No warning, He just disappeared one day. When we went to the workshop, it was locked and empty.
Took her years to get out of the mess he left.
Luckily she eventually found a wonderful man who has married her and took the kids as his own.
They love him and have always called him Dad.

There are good men out there, one just has to find them.

It can be devastating when in laws interfere.
A lot of the time it is them causing problems from the start.

Good luck to your daughter as she will make a better life without such meanness.
Better to be a bit kooky than mean.
I wonder how such small minded people ever enjoy their life.

Freezing here , so you havent got my cold weather. .
Every time I decide I will be brave and go outside, it starts raining .

Karen, lovely bird pics. Galahs are pretty but I am so glad we never see many here. Noisy and damaging pesky things they are.

Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 26, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9139826

Kat, your daughter will soon be celebrating her escape...imagine being stuck with that family for year upon dreary year...best advice, get a good solicitor...if she doesn't have much cash, legal aid will help.

It seems that every family has at least one break up...sad but true...most pick up the pieces or go it alone, whatever makes them happy.

it was a pleasant morning but clouding over now...
You sound very pleased with those Liliums Anthony...good growing.
Have a good day all.
Dianne
katciao
Brisbane
Australia

May 27, 2012
12:46 AM

Post #9140074

Thanks for kind words..I need them! Like a big cyberhug..that's what I love about your tearoom!
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 27, 2012
2:49 AM

Post #9140090

Dianne, it got even better today, with what i uncovered, Jean, i blocked my 2 galahs ears.. ha ha.,,,Kat-I left my marriage in 89. no kids, just 2 dogs...I kept 'Scruffy', the mower and the fridge,..,Scruff died ,christmas eve 95, fridge and mower are still going,.Im thankful i didnt have much to answer to!! I did repay a loan to her mother for 5 grand, but she did take also 5 grand [from the 10]' that my grandparents 'GAVE' me'..in the settlement,,.,.So, with a new life, and 12 1/2 thousand, i purchased an 84 v8 holden ute and a car trailer. I took in a relatives 8 yr old child, who i see as my daughter now, shes nearly 30 now,.she has a daughter, who i treat as my grand daughter,.,So ,there are many sides to many stories, and diamonds shine in the eyes of the ones that you love... although, i could throttle her for some of the stupid things she has done..,. and i found , the best thing is not to carry on 'butchers hook' , but to try and ease in around the problem,.I was 31 when i woke -up... lets hope she does the same,.,.,.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 27, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9140800

Good morning everyone.
Its cold here but no rain yesterday or so far this morning.
No sun either, but it will shine again.
I will be planting some broad beans today plus a row of onion seeds.

Anthony, it seems like we all have to go through some sort of trauma where marriage ,partners and children are concerned.
I found drink the major problem in a first marriage & a later relationship, but have found third time is lucky.
You cannot do much with the offsprings lives, but be there and offer help when needed . I have seen mine though numerous ups & downs and it seems to be working out for them all now.
Its something only the experience that comes with age, can help with.
Sadly , some of the young ones out there never learn and go from disaster to disaster.
Good on you for helping another while going through your own troubled times.

Kat , the Tea Room is a place where we can all get a hug when needed.
I just hope the peacefulness rubs off on everyone while they enjoy their cuppas each day.

Dianne. it is getting quite cold here now and I imagine you have your woolly longjohns ready for winter.
Does Tilly have a pretty winter coat ?

Charleen, we may all have to come and live with you for our winter.
We can bunk in with Charley.
I'm sure he wont mind as long as I feed him cookies...lol

Hello Sue, Teresa, Karen, Colleen and Chrissy.

Have to get moving as hubby has a friend coming up from Melbourne this morning.
Take care everyone and stay warm & safe..

Enjoy a hot cuppa and some of this ..Coconut Cake
Happy day
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 27, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9140920

Another very cold morning here and I have the little heater on again already. Not winter yet.

Another day of running around, and a dental appointment at 2pm to finish it off. Another exciting day at Logan.
Hope everyone has a good day ahead. Keep warm.
Karen

This little bird we photographed yesterday is an Eastern Yellow Robin. Isn't he gorgeous.
According to one who knows, the first pic is the male, and the second is the female.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 27, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9141105

Tilly doesn't have a little coat, Jean...though yesterday she could have used one...We were going for our usual walk around the block and this little dog came tearing out of his yard and attacked her...I was too slow to react, but luckily Ray was with us and he just went whammo with his fist and the dog shot inside...I was stunned, Tilly wanted to go on with the fight and Ray was ropable...I'm sure the owners heard what he called them...
The dog was small and so Tilly wasn't hurt, her long fur would have helped too...it was so unusual having a dog loose in the street...thank god it wasn't a big dog, in future I will take a small jockey's whip with me...

The Robin is lovely, Karen...we see them very occasionally here...we get the pink one more often in Mick's paddock...
Hope you found some good pieces Sue...

Ray's cooking pasta for lunch, smells delicious...
Back Later
Dianne.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 27, 2012
9:45 PM

Post #9141249

Dianne, I am so glad Tilly was not hurt. It is shocking the way people let their dogs roam free .
I am a firm believer in a leash at all times outside and a muzzle too.
Even little dogs can do terrible damage to other dogs and people. Imagine if Tilly had been a small child.
Good on Ray for being so quick.
I bet the people will still let the darn thing loose though.
We have hubbys friend here for the day and he bought his two little dogs.
Nice but totally spoilt and no sign of any obedience. grrrr...
Even hubby has been annoyed and asked him not to bring them again..

I love doggies...but...

I have been planting some of my broad beans and did the onions as well.
I opened the packets of onions and cut the tops off to sprinkle the onion seed.
When I went to do the leeks, I took out the packet and turned it right side up to open the ziplock end and all the seed fell out.
Luckily I was holding it above the poly box I am using. Now I have onions and leeks mixed .
I bought the packets on eBay and they must have made them up using the little ziplock bags.
Fancy cutting off the bottom when you always open the ziplock end. ...Odd..

I also transplanted all my little seedling hippies and will get to the clivias next. Makes more room in the greenhouse now.

Time for a cuppa.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 27, 2012
10:24 PM

Post #9141272

I remember that you mentioned your husband's friend's dogs before Jean...some people just don't think...
My BIL for instance, prime case in point...Ray told him not to bring his dog with him, we have 3 cats...so he doesn't visit...hooray...

Sorry about your seed, but it did make me smile...how frustrating, never mind they can call each other a companion planting...
I was thinking about those seeds you mentioned, Clivias and Hippies...they were talking about Clivia seeds
on the radio and I wondered how the ones you sowed last year or maybe the year before, were going, will any flower this year or do they take a couple of years?
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 27, 2012
11:46 PM

Post #9141291

Dianne, I bought the hippie & clivia seeds last year so they will be at least another 2-3 years to flower if I'm lucky.
The hippies do grow easily floating in water then put out in tubes in seed mix until big enough for pots .
The clivias are very slow and I ma y still get some very late ones next year.
Some will never sprout. It is a hit & miss thing with them.
Of course , some of the seed may not be viable as most I bought from OS.
I have about 10 little seedlings of the very lovely Papilio and 15 asstd other colors.
So far I have about 10 clivias of asstd varieties and about 10 I bought as small plants.

Cold here today but no rain .
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 28, 2012
12:21 AM

Post #9141295

That sounds pretty good, Jean...that Papillo is a very pretty one isn't it.
Your Clivia collection has certainly grown... :-)
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

May 28, 2012
1:45 AM

Post #9141311

early wake up call from Mother Nature this morning, a little after shock of 4.4 at 5am...
didn't seem to bother the dogs but it shook me awake & I couldn't get back to sleep.
Dianne - I am glad Tilly is unhurt, I normally put a muzzle on Copper for our walks as I can't trust people to have their dogs under control & if he is harassed he will use his teeth to get his message across!
I have spent a lot of time training him & he is under very good control - but I'd never dream of walking him off lead in public.
I always tell my classes to consider what happens if their dog is attacked & tries to run away - if they go out on the road they could be killed, at least with a lead you have a safety line.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 28, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9141796

Come on up, You would be most welcome. I would love to meet you all.
got Chocolate zucchini muffins in cooking, so we have treats ready when you get here. Don't feed Charley any Chocolate, but the Reg muffins we can., He will eat it papers and all...☺
Beautiful here today, 79 degrees...
You don't leave your Clivias outside do you. Mine would freeze in winter. i take it out in spring tho.
This is Robert's Pomegranate , I hope he finally gets a pomegranate. They do have a beautiful blossom...

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 28, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #9142182

Good morning everyone. Fog here this morning. I hope the day is fine as we are popping over to Hamilton. Hubby has to pick up a few bits & pieces for his radios.

Teresa, sounds like the dogs are used to the shakes . Its good to know they are not upset so much by them.

Charleen, my clivias all live outside. They like it here. We dont get snow and only a few frosts which dont bother them.
I have one flowering now in the shadehouse.
I keep a few in there as a nice evergreen background for the ferns . My small ones live in there too until they are big enough to go outside.
I will get the carpet out soon so we can come visit you & Charley mule.

Hello Dianne, Karen, Colleen, Anthony & Sue.
Hope the weather is kind to you all today.
I will see what I have in the kitchen for morning tea.

try this Chocolate and Berry Loaf.

Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 28, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9142186

Good morning everyone. Hope everyone is well and keeping rugged up. Bit nippy isn't it? I had expected the brugs to have lost all their leaves by now, but no, they have put out new lush growth and heaps of buds. I wonder whether they'll get to flowering stage? I have some zygos flowering and salvias. The lovely black one is flowering too. I also have a bush that has got plain white, red and white and plain red all on the same bush. Bulbs popping up everywhere and the winter hippy is nearly out, maybe the next week it will show it's pretty face. I think we might need to go on that carpet ride Jean. Has it been dusted yet?Everyone have a great day. The kettles on Jean. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 28, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #9142550

Dianne, glad Tilly wasn't hurt. Shame that this still happens, and that there are some people who will not learn. My friends neighbour had two small white maltese type dogs (not actually sure what they were). A policeman lived across the road and left his gates open. His german sheps got into the yard with the two little dogs and shredded them. One had to be put down, the other barely survived the surgery to put her back together. The police man simply denied that his dogs would even leave their yard and refused to offer any help towards the costs of vet bills. Who can you report to when its the police themselves involved? I envy you seeing the red robins there. They are supposed to be around here, but I've never seen one.

Jean, do you have the different coloured clivias, and if so, how many colours do they come in? I've seen the orange and the cream, and often wondered if there were others.

Teresa, that's a rude awakening. I don't know how I'd go living in a place where the earth moves so much.

Colleen, I used to have a lovely salvia with a pink and white flower. I really loved it. It died when we had that prolonged drought and I couldn't keep watering. I supposed I could try it in a pot, maybe.

Charleen, I have a flowering pomegranite tree. It is about 15 feet tall now and when in flower, looks like a Christmas tree. So pretty. It's about 20 years old, maybe more now. It was never supposed to get fruit, but imagine my surprise when over the last few years it started setting fruit. I never tried to eat them, wasn't sure if you can, but they are full size fruit. Not a lot, maybe half a dozen a year now. I got it for the flower and they are so pretty.

Karen

The pomegranite flower on my tree...
The tree in flower...
...and red and white pompom tree flowers...

Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 28, 2012
10:38 PM

Post #9142620

How pretty are those pompom flowers Karen...I didn't know that they came in white...
Yes, you sure can eat those pomegranates...they are messy but delicious...I love it when the fruit splits open, they are like jewels...they look great in a Tequila Sunrise too, that's where the Grenadine comes from...and they are a lovely flower as well.
Was your pink Salvia "Hot lips"...that would grow in a pot...I have one that is just about to flower, it's S.wagneriana...it's about 5ft high and the same wide, but a large pink and white flower...it's only a yr old, but it's grown really well...there are so many of them now...
The Navajo series are small and pretty but I can't keep them alive...so I don't buy those now...

Charleen, Robert's Pomegranate is lovely too...hope he gets fruit this year, keep your eye on the blossom...

Hope you had a nice day at Hamilton, Jean...

Teresa, I wish those "Shaky Isles" would quit shaking...everytime we hear about CC we think of you and yours.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 29, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9142922

We are getting a little sprinkle today. We sure do need some rain. Charley wants some fresh grass in his pasture. I let them in Kaluha's pen to "mow" it. they love to "Mow " the pasture.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 29, 2012
3:35 PM

Post #9143818

Good morning everyone.
Fog here again this morning so hopefully a lovely day like yesterday.
We wandered around Hamilton for a while , then hubby got what he wanted to buy and as the day was fine and sunny, we bought a Subway each for lunch. Very nice eating outside in the sun. We stopped at Wannon Falls where there were only a few people . Peaceful and quiet with the magpies looking for the crumbs.

I spent the rest of the afternoon checking around the garden. I have spread snail pellets everywhere again. I havent had to use them for a while but now the wet is with us, the sluggies are rising from their sleep.
I am assuming thats what they do during the warm & dry weather.

i see a few bites on a couple of brug leaves so there is a stray caterpillar around somewhere.

I will get out later and cut all the berries back. I am hoping I can get a berry or two next season as the bugs ate anything that appeared last time.
It was very dry too so I need to watch the water on them next time too.

The bulbs are popping up everywhere. I had quite a few dug out by the blackbirds over summer, so just stuck them in anywhere I found a space.
The Dutch iris are coming up too. I must get some different colors again as the dominant yellow/white has taken over the space.
I did have other colors there but they have all disappeared .

I did buy some that were sold as a lovely bronze, but when flowering , were plain blue.

Hello Dianne, Karen, Colleen, Sue , Anthony and Teresa.
Hope you are all having lovely autumn weather.

Moon and Charleen , you will be sitting out in the lovely sun these days. I hope you get some summer rain for the gardens too.

Time I moved myself and did a few domestic things like the washing and vaccuuming.

Heres something tasty for morning tea. ... Lamington Cake.

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 29, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9144190

Good afternoon everyone. The clouds have gone for a while today and we can see and feel the sun for the first time in days. Still pretty nippy though. I have my pink ugg boots on and my toes are still cold. Have to jump up and down on the spot to see if I can warm them. Dianne I'm putting up the pic of my white Tree Dahlia that a friend gave me. The flowers aren't very big but lots of blooms on the same branch. This is it's first flowering and I know that her large tree looks absolutely beautiful in full flower. A lot bigger flowers too. Jean and I must have been on the same train yesterday but she was a bit quicker putting her lot up so mine didn't really make much sense when it got there. Never mind. I don't use any snail pellets here, I just move the snails away from where there doing the damage and put them near something that doesn't matter so much. I don't like killing them but I feel like it when they chew my hippies. They looove hippies. They chew the stems all the way up to the flowers, chew the flowers and then come back down the other side. Grrr. They certainly make a mess. Well, seeing it's a lovely day today I might go and make the best of it. Hope everyone is well and happy and have a great day. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 29, 2012
10:33 PM

Post #9144287

Colleen, your tree dahlia looks very much like a Montanoa, I used to grow...it was called a tree daisy...it doesn't die down and is a very tall grower...very pretty too.
Check the leaf against the ones that I gave you...

I hope that my Jostaberry flowers next year...I have never seen the berries, It's only a year old...
Here is the Montanoa.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 29, 2012
11:22 PM

Post #9144297

Jean, look at this article on upside down tomato growing...is that the sort of pot you have?
It's a very interesting article anyway...It's on the welcome page in Today's Articles...
Dianne.

This message was edited May 30, 2012 5:34 PM
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 29, 2012
11:29 PM

Post #9144299

Dianne I think that it's the same. I went and checked the leaves on the 3 that you sent to me and they're not the same as the flowering one. I had better find a place for them soon. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 29, 2012
11:39 PM

Post #9144302

You will love it Colleen...it's very pretty when it grows tall...so I hope it is a Montanoa, then you will have both.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 29, 2012
11:45 PM

Post #9144304

Thanks Dianne. I did read that article. I always read Sandra's articles as they are so down to earth.
I will be very careful with the hanging of the tomato growing bags.
My son has had good results so I am hoping nothing will reach up to eat any that grow in mine.
I wouldnt put anything past the blackbirds when it comes to getting at food.
I can always throw some bird net over the clothes line anyway.

Jean.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 30, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #9145193

Good morning everyone. A very cold morning here, but thankfully , no frost.
Yesterday was sunny but nippy. I potted quite a few seedlings and planted out 3 Lilly Pillys .
I was able to work out there after lunch in the sun without my jumper.

Not a lot to be done now for awhile until rose pruning time.
I will be keeping the Roundup ready though as the next lot of weeds are already poking through.
I did a spray over the nasturtiums to thin them out a bit. I do like them sprawling over things but only in certain places.

Hubby is off the see the Doc again so I may go over with him to get a bit of potting mix.

Hello Teresa, Sue, Colleen, Dianne, Anthony and Charleen.
Enjoy your day and keep safe.

Better go get the washing on before I do anything else.

Heres your morning tea snack...Chocolate Cream Cake.
Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

May 30, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9145304

Good Morning to everyone.
Dianne I did have a lovely day on Sunday, found some Olivine and a fossil and brought home some rocks for the pond so very productive and enjoyable day.

Jean my ponds will not freeze over in a frost they are too deep, have moving water and sheltered, so I am sure the fish will be fine. the fish may get a bit slower in the cold though. They are in hiding a lot now. The frog is singing happily every day. I transplanted my one Green Goddess Calla lily yesterday.

Tomorrow the man comes to lay the vinyl in the studio so I have been painting the old kitchen cupboards that I plan to use in there for storage. The men damaged them when they took out the kitchen so my original plan to sell the kitchen went west. They will be fine in the studio, though they do not fit back together the way they were as they destroyed the corner cupboards completely.So now I will use three as freestanding cupboards and drawers against the walls. Still good storage and I have far too much art stuff.

Seems to be a nice day today, sunny already this morning but cool of course.

The quarry where we wert fossicking for olivine. Close up of olivine crystals ( also called Peridot), The mushroooms were growing in the gardens of the lovely place we went for lunch. A very old homestead in Penshurst.

Thumbnail by chookie2   Thumbnail by chookie2   Thumbnail by chookie2

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 30, 2012

Post #9145361

Sue, I've never seen mushrooms like that. How colourful! And I didn't realize that Olivine was peridot. I'd heard of both but didn't make the connection.

Dianne, the nearest salvia colour I can find to the one I had is coccinea, but I can't swear that is the one I had. It was very pretty, small flower, smallish plant too.

I have an appointment with the dietician tomorrow, and need to run a CD she loaned me so I can say I watched it. Its called "The Healthy Shopping Tour" and I think it will be interesting, just very lengthy. I hate it when they don't say how long it goes for. It says the average supermarket stocks over 20,000 different items. I hope they don't go through every single one, I'll be here till doomsday.

We had good rain overnight and this morning but the sun is out now.
Hope everyone has a lovely day.
Karen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 30, 2012
9:28 PM

Post #9145642

Sue, those mushrooms are so pretty, but don't they scream "Deadly"...the peridots are beautiful aren't they..
You need a glass cabinet with lighting to display your pieces...I have 2 display cabinets with lighting, but I never turn them on...silly, but I forget to, the things in the cabinet do look lovely when the lights are on.

Good luck on your dvd shopping tour, Karen...put it on then go out into the sun with a cuppa...much better idea...if the dietician can't make it clear to you on what you should eat, without a dvd, get another dietician.
Here is Salvia greggii "rose pink", it's a little one too...
I was just reading an article on Salvias, they smoke them too...very similar to LSD...what a world we live in.
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger

katciao
Brisbane
Australia

May 30, 2012
9:31 PM

Post #9145643

Sue, there is no such thing as too much art stuff, too many plants or too many epies!..or too many chooks..cute ones..or too many cats

This message was edited May 31, 2012 12:43 AM

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 30, 2012
9:33 PM

Post #9145646

But the species they smoke is Salvia divinorum a psychotropic plant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_divinorum
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 30, 2012
10:31 PM

Post #9145663

Just been out enjoying the sun. I sprayed everywhere with the Roundup and had a good inspection of the garden.
Probably a few bulbs got a dose of spray but there are so many out there, a few wont be missed.
The brugs are still looking good with buds hanging on.
I found another epi bud . Poor confused things , That makes about 5 that have flowered early.
There are so many little things coming up from self sown seeds so there will be a few more sprays later to control them.
I have very promiscuous plants here.
There are some odd looking little plants popping up out the front. Be interesting to see if they are weeds or not. I don recognise the leaves.
I will be throwing plenty of seeds around in spring again. Always in the hope that one or two will grow.
I think the ants must steal them all .
Those cute little fairy toadstools are usually found in pine forests.
When we lived in Bright, the kids were always looking for the "fairy stools "
They used to think fairies used them so sit on .
I have heard stories of idiots trying them as a hallucinogenic.

I am going back out to enjoy the sun while it lasts.
Had my cuppa so back to work.
Hope you are all enjoying sunshine too.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 31, 2012
12:05 AM

Post #9145679

I'm sure that in my Enid Blyton books Jean, all of the fairies sat on the spotted toadstools...I have a mental pic of a dark haired naughty fairy sitting on one, or maybe I got too close to the Brugs while I was chopping things back again...this time it was the Iochroma...it was huge and laying on everything...

It was such a beautiful day, not a cloud in the sky...
Jean some of those little plants might be from the Scabiosa "crimson clouds'' it's seedlings are everywhere here.
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 31, 2012
3:03 AM

Post #9145724

RM has trumpet lilys on ebay-free post for anyone interested,.,.he breeds good stock!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2012
6:43 AM

Post #9145930

My Monster Brug is blooming.
Been getting some rain, now the heat is traveling in, Electricity was off several hours yesterday, don't know if someone hit a pole or what happened. But we finally got it going again. I worked out in garden and it was so nice and quiet. Just the birds sings and once in a while a long ear would Snort making those wonderful equine noises...

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 31, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9146607

Good morning everyone.
We are really getting into the cold mornings here. Yesterday there was frost down in the town but luckily not on our hill.
I hope it stays away too.
I did a bit more spraying yesterday. The weeds are starting to grow along the back fence .
This fence now has an electric wire along to keep the cattle from leaning on it.
The previous person with cattle in this paddock did not care if they wrecked the fence and came in our property.
As a result we have had a very wobbly fence which was in danger of falling in places. Now with the electric wire and new posts , all is well.
Hopefully the other farmer whose sheep have been roaming for months , has also fixed his fences.
I just do not understand the attitude of some animal owners. If I had so much money invested in livestock, I would be keeping a careful eye on them.

Hubby saw his doctor yesterday and now has yet another lot of pills to take. He says he rattles when he walks .
I am feeling the effects in my shoulder from carting the sprayer around but it will pass.
I hate taking pills of any sort but sometimes have to resort to a painkiller at night.
Isnt it just the way though. We end up in our older stages, swallowing all sorts of unknown pills we would never have touched years ago.

Anthony, I had a look at those lilies. Very nice lot. I may think about them , but as I lost so many last season to the b*** rats & mice, I am wary .
I may get some into the ground instead of in pots.

Charleen, enjoy your sunshine and pat that Charley boy for me.

Sue, hope all is going well with your work being done.

Teresa, how is Sugar coming along ? Hope Copper is tolerating her well.
You are lucky having all that lovely wool clothing for the cold there too.

Hello Dianne. Are you getting frosts there. I know hubby says he didnt get so many when living closer to the ocean .

Hello Chrissy, Colleen , Karen , Moon and Louise. Keep warm & safe.

I am not venturing out until I see the sun well above the trees. Not much to do out there anyway as yet.

Heres something yummy for morning tea...warm Banana Muffins.
I'm going to sit near the heater and enjoy a second cuppa .
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 31, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9146651

Good morning everyone. We're going fossiling tomorrow. About 10kms down the road there are cliffs along the Murray River and there's lots of fossils in the walls. All sea creatures where the sea used to be. It's amazing when you think about it, 250kms from the sea today. I hope it doesn't rain. Had a look at the bulb section on ebay. gee they want a good price for them. Just as well I don't want anything. awww maybe more Hippies, but I'm not paying that price. Butter Bomb is covered in flowers again. I looove that brug. It will be interesting to see if all the other brugs hold their buds in the cold. Love the toadstools Sue. As soon as i saw them I thought of fairies. Would love to have some in my garden although I do have a few different fungi. I have a lovely orange one that gets on the old stumps of trees that have been cut down, and lots of little ones that come up in the pinebark in the SH, and large ones that have come into the backyard since I've had the new watering system. The boys love to find them. It's really funny. On the TV in the morning there's a really girlie fairy show and the boys make out that they're not watching it but they can't keep their eyes off. It wont hurt them to watch the gentle shows. Well have to go shopping today and get our supplies for our fossil hunting. Some special treats are in store I think. Must go the time is moving on. Everyone have a great day. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 31, 2012
3:51 PM

Post #9146656

No Jean, no frosts usually...I think that I have seen one in all the years we've been here.
But it's certainly cold this morning...
We are off to our doctor in a few minutes, Ray has to have his prescriptions renewed and his knee checked.
I am going to take the camera with me, the lake opposite the clinic is a haven for geese and ducks and I love watching them...might get an interesting shot.

That's a whopper, good perfume? Charleen...hope you have another day like that today.
Back later
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

May 31, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9146713

Good Morning everyone. Happy June 1st to everyone, hard to believe the year is half gone already.

Wow Colleen have a great time , love fossils, I found one with a tiny jawbone and spindly bones at the quarry on Sunday It must have been a bird with teeth by the bones as fish don't have long bones, the volcano where I found is 750,Million years old so that is pretty ancient..like me ! LOL. I remember hunting for them at Redcliffs years ago. Where do you go?

Dianne Yes they do say don't eat me don't they. They were growing under Beech trees but not heavy shade.The owners saw us taking pics as we left the lunch and came over, they didn't know they were there and others thought they weren't real -- so perfect they looked ceramic.

You are right I do need a lighted cabinet.Hmm... I have a stick on flouro light somewhere but not the glass cabinet --- will call in to the Lifeline uirniture shop next week and see what they have...would be good in the studio.

Kat you are right of course, I just need more energy to use them .I have fifty boxes of art/craft stuff to unpack into the studio ...not counting easels,canvas and paper or art books . LOL Yes too much ... but I may NEED it!!! LOL ( my eternal cry).

I too picture them in my Enid Blyton books under the Faraway Tree.LOL

Jean no frost here yet but getting close , here it is June 1st and I still have pumpkins on my vines and am picking tomatoes...unheard of. My broad beans are nearly a foot high and flowering now.
I have the same problem but my neighbour is a sharefarmer and says the owner won't pay for new fencing . I put in some posts yesterday and eventually will have it all fully fenced without him.I have the posts. Just need someone to dig the next 35 postholes! LOL

I am going plant hunting to Warrnambool on Sunday, the Sunday market there has some nice plants sometimes. I am hoping for some waterlilies, as they are $30.00 at Bunnings & nursery in town so not for me at that price.

Have a great day everyone.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 31, 2012
9:48 PM

Post #9147139

Wow a rock hound and a family of fossil hunters...what a lot of fun for all of you...I am with you in spirit, the body can't make it...

We went to the doctors as planned...only the photos didn't quite go the same way...

We were across the road from the doctors beside the lake ,I was carrying a cup of coffee and headed toward a table and Ray had his coffee and the all important camera, while we are heading to the table he decides to open the bag of bread for the geese ...bad move...

Well they came from everywhere and when geese open their wings up they are pretty big and boy, do they honk loudly so Ray took off.
All the time I am yelling for him to give me the camera...the big baby gave me the camera and kept going and wouldn't come back...and had the cheek to whinge because he had spilt his coffee.

I missed the really good shots because I was laughing so much...
I promised him that I would not let them get him when we go there again, because I need him to throw the bread to them while I take the pics...Boy, am I looking forward to that...lol
Dianne

This message was edited Jun 1, 2012 3:55 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 31, 2012
9:53 PM

Post #9147141

Oh my...
The mind boggles..
I can picture Ray running down the road followed by hungry honking geese...lol

I bet you had a good laugh.
The pics very nice.
I would have snapped on of Ray in fast retreat.
Geese are lovely birds, but dont show them food.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 31, 2012
9:57 PM

Post #9147143

Jean, that is Ray in the orange jacket doing his version of fast retreat, he is still limping because of his knee, so he can't run...lol
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 31, 2012
11:13 PM

Post #9147170

Now Dianne, he should have stayed and protected you from the big savage birdies...
I am sure my hubby would have probably got going too.
Where would they be without us to watch over them when all the big bad birdies are around...lol
Jean.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 1, 2012
1:02 AM

Post #9147184

Hello everyone!

Just getting back into doing some gardening.
Very sad as a few of my best plant have died during my "away from the garden time"
This little flower cheered me up today...it is a smaller flowering Epiphyllum named Mary K.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 1, 2012
1:06 AM

Post #9147185

OOOpppsss.wrong pic...that's a friend from the Garden Club

Thumbnail by Marleneann

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 1, 2012
1:59 AM

Post #9147193

Sugar's fame (infamy) is spreading, hubby posted about her on his aviation forum...
they have a general board that is a lot like the tea room but for plane addicted blokes ( & a few wimmen too)
his post described her new game - she destroyed the 20 litre bucket we used for their water out on the deck.
So we figured plastic isn't gonna cut it with her...
off we went & bought a metal bucket.
It lasted less than a week!
It still holds water but the shape is not what it was.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 1, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9147422

Sugar is Miss Destructo, HUH????
We got a nice rain last night, won't have to water today.
getting blooms on Brugs and have to do a little weeding after the rain.
got to call Fella about bringing Charley his hay. Charley will be so happy. then had to plug in phone to do it!!! Battery was down. Battery runs down worse when I don't use it... Not a phone Phonetic.. But it comes in handy when I need it.
Charley and the long ears were running last night, guess they knew Rains was coming...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 1, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9148077

Good morning everyone.
We are getting the autumn weather we should have had weeks ago. Really cold mornings with fog & frost , then lovely sunny days.
No frost on the hill again , thank goodness.
Yesterday was so nice, I was out without my jumper again.
I spent some time sitting out in the sun with an old tin rubbish bin , burning a bag of personal papers that had mounted up over time.
I dont like to put them in the rubbish bin so we bought a small shredder last year. It is just the thing and easy to use, but we had such a collection , it was just easier to burn while I could . Now all I have to do is shred as things come in.

The garden is looking much greener now. I found some bulbs coming up that look like daffodils and have buds . They may be jonquils, but still very early.
My salvias are looking very nice as they flower. They seem to like the cooler weather . I did lose a few during the summer but will plant more later. I am also using them around the base of the brugs. .
I have one job to do that I have been putting off. The old Geraldton Wax plants need to come out. I will just lop all the branches then cut off the rest at the base.
They dont regrow so I will be able to put the Lilly Pillys in their place. More protection for the salvias as the Geraldton Wax are very sparse.

Hello Teresa. Sounds like you have a handful with Sugar.
Have you tried using a metal bucket attached to a stake or a wall ?
I had to do that once with dogs that kept knocking the water bucket over.
I can imagine the fun she had with the bucket..lol

Marlene, very pretty epi. You will soon get some lovely new plants to replace your lost ones. Just think of the pleasure you will have choosing which at the nurseries.

Hello Charleen. I saw Charley mule running about down the back of the Tea Room. He thinks I dont see him looking for cookies.
Your garden will be looking lovely with the brugs.

Hello Dianne. I think some of those little seedlings are from the Scabiosa.
The original ones are still putting out a few flowers and dont look like dying off as yet..

Sue, you will have plenty to keep you busy during the winter by the sound of things.
We may all have to come for a visit to sample all your wares..
We do have the Magic Carpet here to fly around in. I must get it out and shake the dust off.
A nice trip to somewhere warm would be lovely as the cold sneaks in on us all.

Hello Chrissy, Anthony, Louise, Moon and Karen.
Hope all is well with you .

I am going to get a fresh cuppa. I need to warm my fingers.

Heres todays morning tea treat. ...Ginger Snaps
Enjoy the weekend.
Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9148163

Good Morning.

Jean, we place our shredded paper in the compost...that way we get a bit of benefit back from our bills...grin
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 1, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9148274

A quiet-wet and cool day..Im just about organised in the garden and ready for an onslaught of 190 bulbs to arrive in the mail[some are mine and some are tempty colourful sellers]hopefully!.,Daffies[minis] flowering everywhere.,.,.struggling to get garden pots, and may have to buy newies.,.anyway- i best get out into it... Anthony
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 1, 2012

Post #9148289

Hello Moon.
I no longer make compost. We simply dont have enough of all the ingredients.
With no lawn clippings or straw, all I have is mostly green waste...eg kitchen scraps , garden trimmings plus any paper.
I have tried worm farms and composting , but without a wide variety of different types of materials , it just doesnt work.
I still have a small pile of old compost , I started about 4 years ago. It has done nothing in all that time because of the lack of things to add.

I always laugh to myself when watching all those gardening gurus on TV. They seem to have barrows of all the right stuff sitting right there waiting.
They pile it all up while you watch and hey presto, instant heap all ready to turn into perfect garden compost.
There is always a pile of ready to use compost next to it too.

Nowadays, I just toss all the garden trimmings back on the garden, put the newspapers in the recycle bin and the kitchen scraps out for the sheep next door.

Works for me...lol
Jean

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9148396

Somedays that is the best to do...toss up your hands and say enough. We have the space and Hubby has the interest...so let him play...he hasn't produced much compost but it does get him out tin the fresh air...GRIN

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 1, 2012
11:13 PM

Post #9148567

I think that I have a pruning virus, I've been pruning again. My garden is only small, but there is always something that needs a haircut...now everything with a canopy has been lifted and it's clear under every bush..most of the deciduous shrubs/trees have lost their leaves and the jonquils, crocus and the like are coming thru in pots and under shrubs.

I put in an order from Lake Nursery/Broerson's Plants, these 2 nurseries have combined and their first joint catalogue is a good one.
A Monkshood, a red Astilbe and a raspberry coloured Easter Daisy...I have 2 different pink Astilbes, but my red died in the move from our last house.

The first pic is of one of my Wisteria, it's almost bare...I like the colour of the foliage.
The last one is of some of my spring bulbs...the Tulips are growing quickly now...
It's getting very dark here and it's only 10 past 4.
Have a nice weekend eveyone.
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 1, 2012
11:42 PM

Post #9148571

HeyO, good wet cold evening here. Have been reading the mail but have no news to share really. Just wanted to say hello to all. Marlene, nice to see you again. Mary K sure is pretty. You gave me a cutting of it some while ago and its still going. Hasn't flowered yet though. Maybe this year.

My epis are suffering with neglect. Fertilizing them has become a huge chore and I just haven't been up to it. Some are looking quite sad.

The zygocactus are doing well this year. I added a couple of new ones, but nothing too flash. Millie and St. Charles are the latest.

Karen

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 2, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9149436

Good morning everyone
Cold & wet here. Silly me...of course its cold & wet, its winter...lol

I did nothing much yesterday although I did move a couple of pots of mini Easter daisies to the front ready to go in the ground.
I have a couple of lovely salvias about to bloom for the first time . All the others are looking lovely.
I thought I had lost the pineapple sage, but it is shooting again.
There is a wonderful perfume hovering around from all the alyssum. It self seeds madly every year and even though small, has a wonderful scent on a sunny day.

Karen, my zygos are looking marvellous this season. I have never had so many flowers at once on the plants.
Even the small rooted cuttings are budding .
Your flowers look very pretty too.
Dont worry about your epis not getting fertilised. I always forget to do mine , thenn rush in and toss a bit about, hoping it lands on most of them.
They grow regardless of what I do . I just hope they do a better job of flowering this year.
I guess even plants need a year off after blooming madly in the previous season, so this year should be great for mine.

Dianne, I am going to be very good this year and not buy any bulbs. I have shoots poking up all over the place so will be satisfied with those.
Of course, I really di want that bronze colored Dutch Iris...hmmmmm... maybe just one...lol

Teresa, what mischief has the darling girl been up to lately, aside from wrecking the water containers ?
She will hopefully, settle down one day and be a sedate lady...

Charleen, hugs for the furry ones.
Hope you are having some lovely weather. I bet Charley has his head stuck in the new hay already.

Moon, how are things with you ?
You must show us more of your garden.

Anthony, you need a GPS to find your way around your bulbs these days. I hope you have hundreds of beautiful blooms later.
We all look forward to seeing them and also all the pics of the prizes you are going to win with them.

Hello Chrissy, Sue and Colleen.

I am going to sit out on the Tea Room veranda and enjoy the virtual sun . there is no sun here.

Heres your morning tea treat...German Chocolate Cake.

Enjoy the day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 2, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9149438

Good morning everyone. Well the boys had a great time fossicking yesterday. The weather was very kind to us. The biggest find for the day was a huge snake skin and you all know how much I love snakes. It was the whole skin albeit broken into pieces. Even the head shape with eye holes and nose holes. Yuckee. They found lots of oyster shells and little spiral shells and flat like scallop shells and bits of coral. The place where we went is called Overland Corner, Sue. There's an old Hotel there where the coaches used to pull in back in the days of horse and cart. The hotel has rooms still set out like they would have been and lots of memorabilia. If you google it it will tell you all about it. When we got back home they put a Star Wars DVD on and laid paper on their little table, got their paint brushes and started dusting all the fossils. The snake skin got split 3 ways and each boy got a piece of the prize find. I'm sure we will be doing it again very soon. How is everyone? Wendy and Shirley from the brom site haven't had much luck on their break away. The rain went with them too. We have had warnings down here that the Murray River is going to flood so anyone with low lying animals etc should get them to higher ground. It wont affect me personally but there are a lot of people that it will. Looks as though we all have a bit of the pruning bug. Lots to do in my garden but I just do a couple of things a day and it doesn't take too long. The roses are the worse to do and I have about a dozen or so of them. I thought that I would be pruning the brugs too but they are beautiful and bushy with lots of buds everywhere, except for the ones that I'd already chopped. I went to the hairdresser on Friday to get a trim. Well I got a trim alright. I've never had such short hair but is it easy to do. Just have to wash it and put some mousse in it and run my fingers through. lol What's the old saying? There's only a week between a bad haircut and a good one. All's very quiet here this morning. I think that the boys wore themselves out climbing yesterday. Better feed the cats before they eat me. Everyone have a great day. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris   Thumbnail by ctmorris   Thumbnail by ctmorris   Thumbnail by ctmorris

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 2, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9149524

Colleen, sounds like a great day for the kids. Seems not enough kids have those kinds of adventures anymore. Wish my hair only took a week after a short haircut. More like a month before its acceptable again. Why do some hair dressers think they've got to cut hair so short? Don't they understand the word "style"?

Jean, I am hoping you, or someone here can ID this plant for us. Barry spotted it last week and had to get a pic of it. I have no idea what it is. The flowers look like a cross between a sunflower and a daisy (bit bigger than a daisy though).

Hope everyone has a fine day. Getting a bit sick of the wet here.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 2, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9149533

I cant really help with the ID of the flowers Karen. Not close enough for my old eyes. It does look like one I have which has daisy type foliage & flowers.
My brain wont even try to think of the name of mine this morning.
Its too cold and it wants to wait for the sun to warm my head before it decides to think.
Looking out the window, it will be a long time before the sun comes out.
It may well be just something that grows up your way.
Someone will know.
Jean.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 2, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9149575

Thanks anyway Jean. It does look like it could be a warm weather plant. Hope you warm up soon. I started shivering just reading your message :)

Karen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 2, 2012
11:11 PM

Post #9149872

Today's Hortiscope: Don't be disappointed if your gardening plans got rained out. Nature sends rainy days so gardeners can get housework done.
Too true...lol

The only bush that I know of similar to your's Karen, is a Euryops, quite common in Victoria...I can't see your's well enough to be sure..
It would take a few bushes to make a hedge, they are about 4/5ft wide...the same high.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 2, 2012
11:15 PM

Post #9149873

Sorry the pics aren't the best...
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 3, 2012
1:37 AM

Post #9149899

A busy- early start sunday.,.Not a lot at the market, as most were scared of the cold!!, so i should have stayed in bed for another hour.,anyway!! more food shopping , then a surprise, when i was given a 'big fat lilium bulb' of Grenadier,.,.a beautiful lily, i will treasure!!!.,,.The usual birdcage cleaning,split a weeks worth of firewood[as the days are short] then weeded 6 seed boxes, while listening to a 80's cd and chatting to the birds and Sooty,.,.listen to the football, chat /argue with cocky,- clean up a bit,..,and thats my day,.,.,.,Ive got Zygo's out here too!- and beautiful Nylon mini daffs.,.,.lifes good !-Anthony
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

June 3, 2012
3:07 AM

Post #9149923

Hi Everyone, well after six months the tree lopper finally arrived on Saturday, He did a good job and Got the bulk of it done before it rained , he says he will be back to finish off - I hope it doesn't take another 6 months! ( but I doubt it as he will want his pay). LOL
The nasty thorny hawthorn is gone , the huge banksia had to go tooas it was leaning out over the road and lifting out of the soft ground and could have fallen right where the school bus stops out front so it had to go- I have another that stays though. The hugs lilllypilly is now down to two trunks from eight and reduced in height from 30 feet to twelve. ( pics tomorrow - still raining today.)

The huge branch on the Acer Negundo is off the house roof and the tank, so the possums no longer have a 3am highway.All good. And I have a lovely lot of wood cut for next winter , now to cart and stack it...oh yes and the best bit is that I have a mountain of woodchips for new paths all round the garden whoo hooo.I am a happy camper!!

Sounds like a great fossicking trip for the family Colleen , the boys look like they are having a ball! Imagine show and tell at school now! LOL I will look up Overland Corner Colleen thanks for that.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9149999

Yep, head in hay bale. They are happy campers.
So am I...I love it when they have their hay.
Been beautiful this weekend, calling for rain next week, that is great too!!! My Brugs love natural God-given rain...Me too!!!♥

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 3, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #9150314

I agree, Karen. It looks very much like the African Bush Daisy, Euryops...and I agree Diane...we need larger pics for older eyes...grin

http://www.gardensablaze.com/Annuals/AnnualsEuryops.htm

But, there was one other plant that sort of matched, but it is considered a most invasive weed, so I doubt you would find it so well cared for...grin

Bitou Bush/Boneseed

http://www.weeds.org.au/WoNS/bitoubush/
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 3, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9150539

Good morning everyone.
Raining here still. Quite a bit of rain during the night. Yesterday was damp and cold all day.
I had a bit of a laugh seeing that persistent magpie still gathering twigs for a nest. Maybe the Man upstaire thinks we have had enough cold and is going to send an early spring...
One lives in hope.

Dianne, you remembered the name of the daisy I was trying to think of yesterday... Euryops...I have a couple which are huge. I leave them do their own thing in the paddock garden. Lovely bright things in flower.

Moon , its always good to ask a question here as someone will know the answer. We are a smart lot arent we ?

Charleen, hugs for Charley. He didnt eat his cookie I left out for him. Probably hasnt moved from the hay yet...lol
Little Kaitlyn ate it instead.

Sue, you are a lucky lady , getting mulch & wood at the same time. You will notice the difference in your views now.
Watch out the possums dont get a ladder...lol
Something we never see here. Most other wildlife has passed through. but no possums.

Hello Karen, hope you are feeling so much better even if its cold.

Anthony, you had a very productive day by the sound of it. I bet Cocky enjoys your chats.

Hello Colleen, Chrissy, Teresa and anyone else popping in for a cuppa.
My fingers are cold, I need another cuppa myself to warm them.

Hope the weekend was great for everyone.
try this for morning tea. ...Apple and Blueberry Shortcake.
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 3, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9150549

You can't put this many folks together without someone knowing the answer...GRIN

Hope you all have a lovely Monday.
Things are taking off in the garden...even if the neighbor's dog like to sleep in the asters..tsk tsk

Thumbnail by themoonhowl   Thumbnail by themoonhowl

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 3, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9150595

Thanks for suggestions re the flowering bush. We have decided we need better pics of flower and foliage, so are going over to do that today. Might try to get some cuttings as well. Another possibility I thought of was a sunflower shrub. There is such a thing, but until we see the foliage, its all guesswork. Moon, I don't think its that weed. Not so sure about Euryops but we'll see what we can find out. Barry took the pic a week ago, so hopefully it will still be in flower.

Wishing everyone a good week ahead.
Karen

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 3, 2012
3:49 PM

Post #9150626

Hi Karen. I was pretty sure it wasn't Bitou bush...don't think anyone would dare try to cultivate them...grin The other one I stumbled across seems to grow VERY well in QLD

Tithonia diversifolia

http://www.weeds.org.au/cgi-bin/weedident.cgi?tpl=plant.tpl&state=&s=&ibra=all&card=H88
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 3, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9150821

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i294/dalfyre/Dalmatians/IMG_1108.jpg

Sugar has her moments...
when she is good she is adorable, when she is bad...
well I don't know whether to laugh or cry at her antics some days!
Today I took her to our local park & let her off at one end, it is bordered by high fencing on one side & has a creek with lots of native plantings that separates it from the the main body of the park.
She made a beeline for the creek & had a great time running up & down in the water.
Then she found a discarded Woodstock can & proceeded to run about like a mad thing with her new toy.
And then a young boxer joined us & she really had some fun - led him a merry dance - up the creek, around the shrubbery, flat out on the grass, up & down the creek some more.
The boxer's owners are a nice young couple & were quite pleased to have found a friendly dog his age for him to burn off some energy with.
I had to give Sugar a wash when we got home - she was not impressed with being hosed off but she was rather whiffy, the eau de creek was not to my liking.
A bit more playing to warm her up & then off to bed with a chew bone so she could dry in the sun.
I took Copper for his walk & by the time we got to the park it was deserted - just how he likes it :)
I let him off for a run, he can still get up to speed even tho he will be 14 in July.
Now I have two dals fast asleep & a lovely peaceful afternoon for Queen's Birthday.
Sugar can fit two toys in her gob... or two chew bones.
Poor Copper misses out so now I make sure to have 3 of things, she has tried but can't make that many fit.

Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 3, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9151010

Chookie does your A.negundo get covered in those pink things that look like strands of silk...I had a small one years ago that I didn't get to see fully grown...I don't know if they only produce those in juvenile trees..
They are gorgeous...

Teresa those tear drop markings on Sugar are very distinctive aren't they...I hadn't noticed them before...
Colleen, love those pics of the kids...had a look on google at the pub too.

Moon the garden looks very pretty but I couldn't find the neighbour's dog in the asters...did see a pretty gladioli hiding in there though...

Jean, we had an inch overnight...that makes 3 for the week...Mick's paddock is saturated again...I had to use string hay bags for his hay this morning...it would have blown away...
It's still pouring rain...
Dianne.
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

June 3, 2012
11:46 PM

Post #9151137

Good BRRR morning to everyone. Rain and wind here, very cold so an indoors day today. Yesterday I went on a quick trip to Geelong to deliver a ladder to my son. He was down from Qld to get the house ready to sell .Seems he likes his new job and loves the idea of qld permanently.
I called in to the Geelong market and a lady was selling monkshoods Dianne! There were a few plant sellers but not as many as in better weather.

My local market was on Saturday so I got another tree fern for the pond, an Otway Fern which looks like a cross between bracken and a tree fern, apparently fairly rare even in the Otways, and some rockery plants to soften the rocks ..can't remember what and it is too wet to go look.(having a senior moment) LOL

I am off to Gem Club on Wednesday to see what I can cut from my Olivine/Peridot finds from last week. One rock I am excited about appears to be a solid crystal so I am hoping it will be cuttable with no cracks.
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

June 3, 2012
11:50 PM

Post #9151138

No Dianne No pink silk things on mine. Lovely wood where he cut the big branch off.I am saving a slice to carve. It is at least 60 years old though so maybe on young trees?

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 4, 2012
12:49 AM

Post #9151143

Chookie, which market, was it the one near KMart on sunday? ...can always do with more..lol

I finally found a pic of the flowers on A.negundo...they kept showing green ones in all the pics...can't find anything stating that it flowers on young wood...maybe now that you've pruned the lovely old thing it might show you it's pretty flowers...
that crystal sounds interesting...

Still pouring, almost up to 5ins for the week now.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

June 4, 2012
3:09 AM

Post #9151170

Yes the market near Kmart. Out in the carpark near the gate.
HMM I will watch and take a pic of the next lot of flowers I am sure they are green...maybe yours is different cultivar?

.Still raining here all day non stop. My tanks are all overflowing.

re crystal; Yes it just looks like a rock but is heavier and when I washed it it sparkles and looks like a peice of dark glass, so appears to be a solid crystal.(I hope)LOL Am hoping for the best . It weighs about 500 grams so should get a cutter from it I hope.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9151615

No Dianne, the dog was gone...just left behind a huge gap in the asters all flopped over...she is an old Labrador, so can't get too angry with her. Normally those asters are very upright and about a meter tall. i do love the glads. They are close to being finished for this year.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl   Thumbnail by themoonhowl   Thumbnail by themoonhowl

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 4, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #9152103

Good morning everyone.. No rain here during the night, but quite windy.
We have had none of the destructive winds that were forecast for the state. Its good that some weather does miss us here on the hill .
I did nothing much outside yesterday although during the morning it was not too bad out there.
I did get around to tying up a couple of the taller salvias where they were falling over . It was very light rain then and the wind had dropped. Hubby said I was looking very odd out there in my plastic raincoat, bending over the plants.

Sue , you are going to have such a wonderful garden with all your new plants.

Dianne, I hope you didnt get any of the wild weather forecast.
Keep safe and warm there.

Hello Moon, love your pretty glads. I did have some here, but they have disappeared.

Hello Charleen, pats for the furry ones.

Teresa, Sugar looks so happy with her mouth full of toys. How could such an innocent face get up to all that mischief ? ...lol

Hello to everyone else. I am off to get a second cuppa. I need it to warm my fingers.

Today you can all share in my birthday cake
. Even hubby remembered what day it is without too much prompting , dear man.

Have a happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 4, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9152157

Jean, I didn't know it was your birthday. Many Happy Returns. I hope you have a wonderful day and get thoroughly spoiled.

Thumbnail by DawnSong

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 4, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9152160

Happy Birthday Jean. I hope you have a wonderful day. It's been raining here and a bitterly cold southerly wind. I do suppose we can expect a little cold weather, after all it is Winter, but that cold wind can go any time it likes. My Winter Hippy is out Jean. I never got around to repotting it but will do when it has finished flowering. I have my son coming for the weekend, the proud Grandpa. You should see him with Kaiden. It does my heart proud. I have lunch at my other son's, Micheal , on Saturday. Not for anything important just to catch up. His marriage broke up earlier this year after 11 years and I'm seeing and talking to him a lot more now. Funny isn't it. What's the old adage? You have a daughter all your life but you have a son til he takes a wife. Everything has been sorted and they're each getting on with their lives now. The 2 kids spend week about with each parent at the moment. Everything seems fine at the moment but I think the kids will kick up down the track. He just said that it will be dealt with if the problem arises. So cool, calm and collected. Well I hope everyone has a great day whether it be raining or sunshine. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 4, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9152188

Good morning. Yesterday was a nice day and we went to check out that mystery plant with the yellow flowers. I am now more convinced it is a sunflower shrub, or Tree Marigold (among other names). It is a rampart grower and through many of the flowers were finished, what was left was covered with bees. Moon, you are right. It is Tithonia diversifolia. Your glads are beautiful. I never had any luck with them as the soil was just too hard and too poor.

On the way home, we stopped at the local pound to see if I could get a cat trap. Another dead bird yesterday, and I've had more than enough of feeling helpless. I can't find the owner of the cat, but it is obviously well cared for and fed. Local law demands cats are not to be left out, and they let me have a trap and instructions to use it for a week. I hope I can catch the darned thing. It will cost the owners a pretty sum to get the cat back, so will be a lesson well learned.

Teresa, that second pic of Sugar looks like mischief looking for a place to happen :)

Dianne, that's an unusual flower. Hope that rain eases up this week for you and others that are still getting it. We get a few sunny days here, so they say, but due to start getting the clouds back by Friday.

Chookie, let us know how you go with the rock.

Colleen what is that flower? It's so pretty. A shrub?

Hello to everyone popping in for a hot cuppa and a chat. Have a great week.

Karen

A better close up of the sunflower shrub.
A Pied Oystercatcher at Victoria Point, tide out.
Looking across the channel to Coochiemudlo. The natives used to walk across the sandbars and swim the channel bits to get to the island. It has quite a little history for a small island so close to the mainland.

This message was edited Jun 4, 2012 3:35 PM

Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9152286

Karen, I have them scattered around and pretty much neglect the glads. They are always a pleasant surprise when they pop up.

Jean I hope you have a splendid day. Happy Birthday.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

June 4, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9152294

Happy Birthday Jean and many many more to come with each better than the last.
Here's a bouquet for you

Karen I will let you know how the stone goes, here's hoping I am right.

Colleen is that a lilac ?... it reminds me that mine is not budding yet. Hmm will have to check on it, now the trees are lopped it will get more light and not be in such full shade.Hope it doesn't mind..

Men are here laying the vinyl in the studio so the rest of the week will be spent refurnishing it and unpacking all those boxes.
Here are some of my books I had to move out to get the floor done. I made the big bookcase at an evening carpentry course years ago. I never mind moving my books but it takes a long time because I "rediscover" so many and need to re-look at them ! LOL
The far end case is gardening & gem books.The nearer is cookery books and the centre one art,craft and history plus some family albums and some of my journals. I still have 20 or so boxes of books to unpack so need another bookcase, although I think I need to cull some, but mostly it is like parting with a good friend so I change my mind each time.LOL

Thumbnail by chookie2   Thumbnail by chookie2

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 4, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9152335

A very happy birthday, Jean...hope it's a lovely day for you with lots of phone calls from family...

Chookie is that Rhodo "Blue Diamond"? it's very beautiful...
I took the plunge a couple of years ago and culled my books...haven't regretted it..some I hadn't read in years.

Coochiemudio, Karen...what a great name...
Dianne.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 5, 2012
1:53 AM

Post #9152822

Happy BBBBBBBB'BIG' Birthday Jean...And to add---- its FFFFFF Freezing here,.,.,.,.,

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 5, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #9153161

Happy Birthday Jean and many many more...
Beautiful Japanese iris...I love this one...
Daylily, Love this one too.
third one, Fairy garden
The fourth one is a climbing lily...
You all have a great time of day...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 5, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #9153566

Good morning everyone. Yes Anthony, its freezing here too.
It was windy yesterday, but nothing like they got in Melbourne & other places.
We had just a few light sprinkles of rain with the sun trying to shine.

I had a nice quiet day inside near the heater.
I had phone calls from some of the kids and also from one of my granddaughters .
Hubby even bought me a couple of KitKats when he went down to the shop.
We dont worry about presents much as there isnt too much we need other than a few million dollars...lol

Anthony, you keep that fire going there, Cant have our favorite lily man getting frozen.

Charleen, I love the day lilies too. I give mine no care at all except to throw a bit of fertiliser at them once a year .
They usually die right down during late autumn / winter then regrow for spring. I see lots of nice green clumps out there now .
They all flower well and thrive on neglect.
I like your little magic area with the fairy enjoying the sun .
I have fairies in my garden too. Hugs for the long ears.

Sue, such a lot of books,
I am an avid reader, but usually only fiction.
I do have recipe books which are never used now and some garden books I have accumulated over the years.
That is a very pretty rhodo.
I am afraid mine has just about died off completely.
For some reason rhodos & azaleas dont do well here. They usually only live through one season then die.
Its not the soil as I have had them in pots. I blame the water .
A pity because I love them.

Colleen, nice to hear that your son is getting on with life, also that the other son is enjoying his new baby.
I do like that flower. It looks like lilac but different to both of mine.

Karen, I know how you feel with that cat around.
They do so much damage to the bird life. We are only just seeing the return of one or two smaller birds. Until the cat , we had lots of wrens etc.
I like you pics of the oyster catcher and the little island

Teresa, how is the little Miss Mischief today ? I bet Copper has a doggie giggle to himself seeing her keeping you on your toes.
Hope you are not getting any further shakes for the moment or any of the wild weather about.

Dianne, I hope you are safe there. That was some really wild weather down your way.
Bad luck with the damage to your brugs . They will recover in spring.

Hello Moon , Chrissy and anyone else coming in out of the cold.
I am staying by the heater again today , but will have to get moving outside tomorrow, it being shopping day.

Here is something yummy for morning tea. ...nice warm Apple Cake.
Stay safe and warm
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 5, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9153614

Good frrrrreeeeeezzing morning everyone. Though I shouldn't complain. Far worse down south. Its the wind that is so icy cold. Not real pleasant at all. But I hear NSW is getting a lashing with flooding rains coupled with high tides, and cyclonic winds. Another bad night expected tonight. Nothing worse than Nature throwing all it can at you in the dark with no power. I hope there is no one from here in its path. They expect it to reach the Qld. border by Friday, so we could be in for a nasty weekend here.

Love the flowers, Charleen. And Sue, that rhododenron (sp?) is gorgeous.

Not much happening here. I have the loan of a car for a while but have been to chicken to drive it yet. Will have to do a test run, as I am driving it over to Browns Plains tomorrow to see my podiatrist. My biggest fear is getting lost, would you believe. I haven't driven any further than the local shops for a few years now, and the traffic conditions have changed enormously (for the worse, as far as I'm concerned). Too many one ways that take you way out of your way if you miss your turn. Well, it will be an adventure, won't it.

My zygocactus are all in full swing now, and its a delight to look out the window and see the colours dancing in the wind.

Keep warm and well, everyone.
Karen

Twilight Tangerine
St. Charles
Gold Delight
Sunburst Fantasy

Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 5, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9153616

Morning all,
We are off to the xray place today, my mother has had 3 teeth break off at the gum line..so she has to have an total mouth xray to make sure of the condition of the others...not a sign of a problem before they broke off, she hasn't had any pain, but break off they did...bugger...
I hate taking her anywhere that might distress her and I'm sure that this will...
Thank goodness she knows and is very fond of her dentist...he'll have to take them out.

At least the rain is only light, but it's really cold...

Jean, we are the same as you re presents...what do we need, every time I think of something, it's "Do I really want it?" unfortunately the answer is usually no...I enjoy the gift vouchers from the kids, because they're always from a nursery...

I'm getting like my nana, she always said "A nice hankie will do, love"...now I know why...
Have a good day all...

Gorgeous Zygos, Karen...good luck with your driving...you'll be fine.

This message was edited Jun 6, 2012 9:43 AM

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9153689

Gee, I could not agree more with you both. If I need something, I arrange to get it as necessary...if I want something, most times I decide I don't really want it by the time I get to the register to pay...I am slowly making Hubby understand that if he asks me what I want for an occasion, I will tell him what I honestly want...be it a new watch or a lovely load of mulch and compost for the garden. For years I would tell him and he would go buy something he thought more "appropriate" for the occasion...

And I don't have to dust or vacuum mulch...lol

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 5, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9153698

Beautiful Karen, love them all...
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 5, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9153869

brrrrr!!!!!!!

we have snow...

lots of cold white stuff falling from the sky, fat fluffy flakes - try saying that quickly 5 times ;)
Went to work, served 3 customers - two bought Drizabone coats so worth being open for that.
We packed an urgent order for the boss & were lucky to get it on the last truck for the day, they were being ordered off the road thanks to the snow.
The boss then sent us home as worse was predicted.
I let the dogs out when I got home, Sugar's first snow & she was so funny to watch gambolling in it & running around biting the flakes & the snow on the ground.
I took her for a walk to the park, she had a coat on & I had my merino layers & gumboots.
Wish I had taken the camera as it was so pretty with all the trees white & the ground covered.
Sugar enjoyed it, in fact I suspect she'd be up for another walk now if I asked her.
Copper is a bit put out to have been left home but he is getting too old for romping in snow.
He was my naughty dog last night - he side stepped Baz, ran up the hall & pushed his way into our room then sniffed out the gift wrapped box of chocolates I had hidden away in a shopping bag.
I was so shocked to see him come trotting down the hall with the box in his mouth.
Lucky for me Baz thought it was a tissue box & Copper didn't do any damage other than a few tooth marks on the wrapping paper.
I surprised Baz with the chocolates & a card - sneaked them into the lounge after he went to bed & he found them when he got up to go to work.
7 years since our wedding day - it was freezing but gloriously sunny, today's weather would have made things tricky, would have been amazing photos though :)

Thumbnail by dalfyre

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 5, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9153881

Good morning everyone. I agree Moon. If we say that we would like such and such that is truly what we want. I used to always tell my boys that I would like toweling tea towels. Micheal complained about it not long ago so I explained to him that i couldn't afford to spend $2.95 on one tea towel but if they bought it for a present for me then I would get just what i wanted and they got out of it relatively cheaply. Now I ask for pine bark or manure or even half a dozen bottles of beer to make up my fertiliser and get looked at strangely still. Jean I have a pic of the Winter Hippy. I was out at 6am this morning putting the sprinklers on the brugs so that they wouldn't get frosted. Predicted frosts for the whole week. yuk. I have lots of buds on the brugs and will try my hardest to get them to maturity. Have a great day everyone. Pics of Winter Hippeastrum and Brug. Avalanche. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris   Thumbnail by ctmorris

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 6, 2012
2:25 AM

Post #9154187

When Baz came home I had some fun & put my wedding dress on & he took some photos out in the snow...

Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre

katciao
Brisbane
Australia

June 6, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9154340

Hello all. Bit cool here but lovely sunny days, So I'm not complaining.

Karen, that's a weed..the Mexican sunflower. Heaps of it here. Although it's a weed, the big patches down in the gully attract people collecting it for vases. It tends to go droopy within a day and will self-seed readily once you toss them out..also even a stalk lying on the ground can grow. The backyard here is actually a steep side of a gully and was full of it when I moved here...it is all now like a rainforest so they have no sun to grow in. Our late neighbour even "rainforested" right down to the other side of the little footbridge. On the other side of us, that neighbour won't let anything higher than a blade of grass grow..and even works on that!!! Here's a link:
http://www.weeds.org.au/cgi-bin/weedident.cgi?tpl=plant.tpl&state=&s=&ibra=all&card=H88

Colleen, there is a snake skin draped along the handrail down the back steps and I found another hanging off the guttering above the back door. I think they just like to remind us they are around. I just wish they were vegetarians then we could get along better but as things are, I have to protect the chooks. If the snakes ate the turkeys we could be friends, as long as they stuck to that. Then I would have two problems solved! :) The turkeys must be in nesting / mating mode as they are quite manic!It's hard to see the positive side of a turkey invasion.

Stay warm and well everyone...and I hope your 'inner birds are chirping'. Cheers, Kat

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 6, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9154358

Congratulations and happy anniversary Teresa. Love the delicate, dainty shoes...grin Sounds like Copper was rushing things a bit for you...wanted to get the celebration going... i am sure Sugar enjoyed her romp in the snow.

I hear ya Colleen. One year I asked for lumber for Christmas to do some projects...I got a beautiful boiled wool Bog Coat...I absolutely love it, but we barely get cold enough here for it to be useful...and I have 2 other coats...and this one cost over twice what my lumber would have...Hubby was so proud, I didn't have the heart to fuss.

Karen, your Zygos are just lovely...such nice colors. I am sure the driving will turn out okay...just leave a little early so you won't be stressed for time.

Hope you all have a lovely day...stay warm

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 6, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9154427

Teresa, you are Beautiful in your wedding dress, also love the very pretty jacket on the dog. I would not have thought of snow but I'm learning more of your country with all our "visits"
Don't care for snakes but they are a necessary evil and Thankfully some are not too bad.
Beautiful day here and hope you all have a great whatever time of day it is in your home...
Love and mule nuzzles to all...
Abigail's new nest is an old mop bucket, I put straw in it and she hopped right into it and started rearranging her house...so cute!!!

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 6, 2012
2:42 PM

Post #9154892

Good morning everyone. My fingers are so cold this morning but no rain here. I am glad as its shopping day.
So many people getting wild weather up & down the east coast. I hope all stay safe.

Teresa , you look like Snow White standing there in the snow. So beautiful. Watch out for the "wicked witch"out for more mischief...Sugar ...lol

Hello Kat, nice to see the pythons are still keeping watch on you.
Maybe the turkeys are just too much of a mouthful for them.

Charleen, Abigail looks very comfy there.
I left a cookie out for Charlie.

Hello to Dianne, Colleen, Anthony , Sue and Karen ..

I will just pop into the kitchen and leave some nibbles ...Some yummy mixed cakes.
Its shopping day so I am off to get things ready.
Stay safe and warm everyone.
Jean.
E

Thumbnail by 77sunset

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 6, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9155063

Jean, wicked witch is the least of what I called Sugar when she pushed my terracotta pot of mint off the deck!
It is sunny today but was down to -5C earlier, the boss didn't want us to risk coming in so I have another day off to pack a few more things into boxes so it is easier for the guys doing the earthquake repairs.
Took Sugar back to the park, remembered my camera so will share some more photos later.
It was fine walking in the snow - had my 'wedding shoes' on ;) The tricky part was going across driveways & the road as the snow was compacted under tires & turned to ice.
Even Sugar was sliding in one place!
The snow is melting in the sun, the trees are dropping loads of it, fun to watch but not so good to be underneath.
I lost a big part of my 5 finger (Pseudopanax)- a nuisance as it was a perfect privacy screen.
Have to wait for it to re grow now.
katciao
Brisbane
Australia

June 6, 2012
11:01 PM

Post #9155345

Hello all..not so cold here but all the cats think it is!! We were supposed to get the cold winds that have been freezing you down south but they haven't arrived. Yesterday was a perfect winter's day but there's not so much sun today..high clouds. Too many days without sun and I go crazy so I'm glad we have mainly sunny days.

I loved the photos of you in your wedding dress in the snow, Teresa..I had fun after that looking at satellite pictures of New Zealand.

Belated Happy Birthday, Jean..I hope you had a great day.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 7, 2012
12:51 AM

Post #9155368

Seachanger wrote:I'm sure that in my Enid Blyton books Jean, all of the fairies sat on the spotted toadstools...I have a mental pic of a dark haired naughty fairy sitting on one, or maybe I got too close to the Brugs while I was chopping things back again...this time it was the Iochroma...it was huge and laying on everything...

It was such a beautiful day, not a cloud in the sky...
Jean some of those little plants might be from the Scabiosa "crimson clouds'' it's seedlings are everywhere here.
Dianne

That sure is pretty Dianne

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 7, 2012
1:08 AM

Post #9155373

katciao wrote:Hello all. Take the cold blasts back! We don't need your penguins and ice floes!!! Feeling pretty raw as have been dealing with much unexpected nastiness..my daughter's marriage has broken up, ultimatums from the inlaws..amazing how people show their true colours. We are trying to get her personal belongings..forget the "she owns half of everything" idea. His controlling parents are demanding her keys back etc etc and have given her just this weekend to be gone. All this came out of the blue..I guess she didn't expect she'd have to be a "Stepford" wife for the social climbing upwardly mobile. Think "Meet the Parents"..we are the eccentric, fun loving ones..she was never going to be what was obviously expected but must have looked like a trophy, stunner, (I always joke, like Elly May from the Clampetts, LOL) right school and friends, but, shame about the kooky family..LOL..kooky but all branches are close and loving. No grudges, spats with any on her side. Oh well, she's young and, as they say, future's bright. Just painful now and I hate standing firm against bullies. Gardening will be a pleasant release when we get the final few things...

Thinking of you at this time Kat. We parents just want our children to be happy. When they get hurt ...it hurts us too.

I have fully recovered after Mum's death in March and now spending my days working in the garden.. The garden has been so neglected, it is taking a lot of work to get it back to what it was.
I had an accident and came crashing down in a garden bed trying to remove some cement blocks. I landed with my legs in the air and stayed there for a few minutes (legs in air) waiting for Fred to come to my rescue. He didn't see me so I just had to dust myself off ... wipe the blood off my foot... and struggle to the medicine cabinet...MEN!

Hope everyone is not too cold now that winter has arrived.

Hugs
Marlene

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9155546

YE-OUCH, Marlene. Hope you are not too shaken by your fall. Big hugs to you...it is so hard to lose a parent...no matter your age. i am sure you will have the talk of the town when you finish in the garden.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 7, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9156127

Good morning everyone. Brrr I think Jack is out there this morning. I do hope that he hasn't done any damage. Busy weekend coming up with lots of visitors coming. Lunch at no 2 son's Saturday and hopefully some more fossiling on Sunday. The men want to fish so maybe we can kill two birds with one stone. Great that your garden is coming along Marlene and that you're feeling much stronger now. No use waiting around for the man of the house to notice that you've fallen over. He's too busy doing his own things. lol We always manage to get back up anyway, just takes a bit of struggling and moaning to do it. The boys nearly had a fit when I fell in the garden. I came down with such a THUD and every bone in my body shook I think. I just laid there for a while and gradually rolled over to make sure that i hadn't broken anything and then the boys "helped" me up. Well I hope everyone is well and all have a great day. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris   Thumbnail by ctmorris   Thumbnail by ctmorris

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 7, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9156144

Good morning all. I don't think we are in for the predicted winds, it is incredibly still here. May be the calm before the storm?

So good to read all the news. Love the snow bride, Teresa, complete with blue boots :) Look forward to your pics.
Marlene, am so please to see you joining in again too. Do be careful. I really fear falling. I am too big and would hit the ground very hard.
Kat, hope those turkeys stay outdoors and in the bush, and leave your plants alone. Yes, I realize now the sunflower shrub is a weed, especially now I've seen how it grows and reproduces like wildfire. But it looked so lovely where it is, and as it is a park, I guess the council decided to leave it unless it becomes a problem.
Charleen, Abigail sounds adorable and practical. Saw the pic on FB of her lovely egg. Brekky?

Moon, the driving turned out fine. I did well and it took all of about 2 minutes to feel right at home behind the wheel. Got to the podiatrist. Did my shopping, then on the way home there was a police road block at Browns Plains. It was all over the news last night, an alleged road rage/shooting incident that travelled up from the Gold Coast to Algester, and ended up at Browns Plains pub. Honestly, there were helicopters and vehicles all over the place and I couldn't believe how many police and how much disruption it took to capture one male person who was unarmed anyway. I was lucky I saw the road block before I left so I could go round the back way. With the amount of traffic stopped, I could still have been sitting there if I'd been caught up in it.

Today I am catching the bus.

Hello to everyone else popping in. Have a great day.
Karen

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9156177

Glad the drive went well Karen. Since my daughter is in Brisbane, we keep an eye on the news and weather...silly I know, what on earth could we do about any of it anyway? But, she is my youngest and it helps me feel closer to her.

We have gotten really good rain last night and this evening...could have done without the 95KMH winds though. Fortunately just a few tree tips and small branches down.

Lovely flowers Colleen. Hope it doesn't get too cold before the brugs finish blooming.

Hope you all have a lovely day.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 7, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9156182

Good morning everyone . I have moved us along to here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1263689/

Hello Teresa, Looking forward to seeing Sugar in the snow. I loved your "wedding shoes'
You would have had some odd looks if you had gone out in your lovely wedding finery with those shoes on.
Sensible wins over fashion every time in my book.

Hello Kat and Marlene. Hope you are not too bruised after the fall Marlene.

Karen , so glad you managed with the driving. You will be feeling a lot more confident now.
Lucky you saw the police block. It can be awful being stuck in traffic with no way out.
Take care of yourself.

Colleen, very pretty flowers. How are all your cacti going ?
It is hard to get yourself up after a fall. Lucky hubby heard me call when I fell.
As you say, we manage to get ourselves up eventually.

I would hate to see the fuss if hubby or any of the men out there, fell over.
Oh my...Moon, how are things in your neck of the woods ?
hope you ar ehaving wonderful weather.

Charleen, you started me thinking about a couple of hens here again, but I am afraid the foxes a re just too much.
I couldnt bear to lose more hens to them. I may think about it a bit more and see if I can build something really fox proof.
Did Charley get his cookie from the kitchen yesterday ?
I did see a feather so he may have missed out.

It was a lovely day yesterday for shopping.
Cold as expected , but pleasant with no cold wind. The sun was out most of the day.

I bought no orphans but have bought a couple of new salvias on eBay.
I keep going out to see if my broad beans are coming up. Hubby says I am mad. They wont be up yet.
I need to watch so I can get the snail pellets around .

Hubby has a friend coming tonight for the weekend so I had better tidy up a bit.
They are going to Mt Gambier for a radio ham convention . Hubby goes every year and usually comes home with first prize .
He is pretty smart at building his amplifiers. Not many do these days.

Hello to Dianne, Anthony & Sue. Hope all is well with you all.
Keep safe and warm

Heres something yummy for morning tea... Banana Chocolate Cake.

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

June 7, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9156277

Good morning everyone. Sorry I cannot remember the name of that Rhodo, I will have to check my back files to see if I kept it. I did buy one similar after seeing it but i have a dozen now and have lost track of their names - I am bad aren't I?

jean you are right it could be the water, they hate anything alkaline and I remember the water in Heywood being alkaline and you will have a limestone/sandstone base under your area too which would affect your water I guess.

Karen good to see you are getting out and about. My son is moving down to Labrador this weekend for another stint at house sitting - his last one said the place was better when he left than when he arrived!( he did say it was an artist's house and a bit messy when he got here) LOL.He is saving madly to buy a house so it is helping him save by doing the house sits and saving on rent. This one is for 5 months while the people "go North for winter" ! LOL From the Gold Coast ! They only have one cat for him to care for so he will enjoy that - he always loved our cats.The last one had two dogs and a cat.

My youngest daughter in Perth is a finalist for the My Kitchen Rules for the new TV series, she has had a short film test and cook off, and she and her friend are waiting now to find out if they are "in"...apparently they try out lots of couples and then choose the ones they think will be good on TV.They had to cook a 3 course meal for the crew in 1 hour and the reporter said they were the first to get everything done in the timeframe but it wasn't her decision, it would be the director after he viewed the test film..I wouldn't do it for the world ( they are so cruel sometimes) but she loves to cook and is a real extrovert so will probably enjoy it.

I am off to the PO to pick up a parcel of more books ! LOL These ones to help me with my rock and gem collecting with some maps and advice on places in Australia to collect and how to cut to get the best glow from a gem. Fun ...and I need more books like a hole in the head... I know! LOL

Colleen I just found out there are some good fossils on Kangaroo Island and I was planning on going there for a gemstone fossick this year so now have two reasons to go.LOL. Wishing you good fossicking at the weekend.

Cool and mild today, clouds coming now so will probably have a shower later, only 13 deg C right now.Brr.
Good weekend to everyone.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 7, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9156319

Cookie Crumbs all over the place from that mule...☺
Abigail is a great little chicken. I have a parade when I am out in the yard.
Aren't they cute??? Abigail gets right under my feet.
Love the Brug pictures up there.
One of mine is loaded It is called Monster...
see there is Jake. I just got finished feeding Abigail this big old Tomato horn worm...
I found Charley a new friend.
This insect was eating a horsefly. I was lucky to get this picture.
Had a wonderful day, hope you alls will be great!!!!!

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

June 9, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9158567

Good morning to everyone, I hope the weekend has been kind to you and your endeavours.
No planting this weekend for me, though I do have an advanced Brug to plant yet - I brought it at our local market it is pale pink shading to cream. Not sure yet where to plant it so have left it under the loquat tree for shelter for now.

The tree lopper rang friday night and came back yesterday to finish up the trees, he had to take the stumps that he left high down lower, and to take out the blackwood on the neighbours side, as it was leaning over their fence and onto their clothesline as well as shading most of my vegie patch,it was very tall and 'leggy' so in danger of breaking limbs off. so sadly it had to go.
There is much more light in the yard now and I have given two big blackwood logs to a local wooodturner so it will live on as something creative.

Another big load of mulch in the yard now, so I spent some time after they left spreading new mulch on the old mulched paths, but also need to make the new paths now.
A little time in the newly floored studio last night saw a few boxes unpacked.
1 The stump of the hawthorn tree. 2 mulch piles to spread.3 Brug waiting planting 4 cumquat fruiting. 5 studio unpacking

Thumbnail by chookie2   Thumbnail by chookie2   Thumbnail by chookie2   Thumbnail by chookie2   Thumbnail by chookie2

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 9, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9158607

All looking great Sue.
Lovely lot of mulch there.

Come over to the new site...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1263689/#top

Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 9, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9158641

Wrong place..lol

This message was edited Jun 10, 2012 1:02 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America