Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening Questions: MediumTree with red fall foliage w/non-invasive roots

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 0, Views: 8
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Fungo
Danville, CA

May 13, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9122741

I want to plant a 35'-50' tree with red fall foliage and non-invasive roots near a sidewalk on the fully exposed front north slope of our house in USDA zone 9, inland valley northern CA. I want a vertical columnar form so as to minimally block the light from the windows. I liked acer rubrum "Autumn Spire" or "New World" but the representative at our nursery said the roots become invasive. I've been unable to verify this. I've also considered nyssa sylvatica "Forum" or "PRP1". Liquidamber "Palo Alto" was another consideration but again I was told the roots would become invasive. What would you suggest and are you aware of any difficulties with invasive roots for Acer rubrum or Liquidamber? I should also mention we have a problem with fireblight in the area.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America