Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Common comfrey (Symphytum officinale) has uncommon qualities: Don't let comfrey tea sit & rot!

Communities > Forums > Article: Common comfrey (Symphytum officinale) has uncommon qualities
bookmark
Forum: Article: Common comfrey (Symphytum officinale) has uncommon qualitiesReplies: 1, Views: 17
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LeeInIowa
Des Moines, IA

May 14, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #9122957

If comfrey tea is at all like compost tea (and in this aspect, I believe so), you don't want to wait for anaerobic bacteria to get going in it. They're often toxic to your garden plants. So make your tea, let the water cool, and use it immediately.

Compost tea lets you multiply the soil- and plant-helpful organisms you've already got going in your compost--as long as you keep your compost tea aerated (even by vigorous messy stirring several times a day), and feed the microbes a little (something sugary, like molasses; even flat Coke would work), and use within 24 to 48 hours--while your microbes are at a peak, before the anaerobic bacteria move in and take over. Apply it very gently, so as not to break up the larger, more delicate protozoa and such.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 14, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9122989

Thank you for adding this information. The sources I found all referred to the long- steeped tea.

Many visitors to our Soil and Composting Forum have also not seen this information about compost teas. So many sources originated years ago and called for long brewed teas; other wirtings carry that forward.. Recent information, as you have explained well, call for teas that are highly aerated, and used while fresh and full of good mocroorganisms.

I appreciate your comment and thanks for reading.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Common comfrey (Symphytum officinale) has uncommon qualities Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Now I'm even happier... critterologist 4 Apr 9, 2010 6:59 AM
Good info! Sundownr 2 Apr 14, 2010 6:28 AM
Handy for first aid, too! imapigeon 1 Apr 10, 2010 5:36 AM
regarding comfrey, cjvwm 1 Apr 13, 2010 6:47 AM
PROOF WAS IN THE PUDDING docgipe 1 Apr 13, 2010 6:42 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America