Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Home Decorating: Engineered hardwood vs laminate

Communities > Forums > Home Decorating
bookmark
Forum: Home DecoratingReplies: 15, Views: 125
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2012
11:20 AM

Post #9123466

We are currently trying to pick out a new floor for my daughter's room(on the small side) so we don't want to spend a ton of $ on it Eventually the whole upstairs will be hardwood(or engineered hardwood) but we need to do her room now because we just got new furniture for it and don't want to have to move the furniture out again to do the floor. Wondering which is better for her room engineered or laminate? also which is the best manufacturer?

thanks for all ideas and comments
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #9123554

If the rest of the upstairs is going to be hardwood or engineered hardwood, then I wouldn't use laminate for the one room--better to use real wood, either hardwood or engineered hardwood so it looks more similar to the rest of the flooring when you finish the project.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #9123620

Ya, that's what I was thinking
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

May 16, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #9125633

Hi Jen
Laminate takes a beating and if she is rough on floors it shouldn't be totally off the table.
Laminates ( my opinion of course ) did't used to look so hot --- repetitive design and sounded sort of 'flat' when walked on. Have come a LONG way now with lots of advances and a good quality laminate will look great and perform well for you even in baths where hardwood has challenges. I used engineered hardwood - walnut - upstairs and it cost several thousand for the loft which I think is 24 x 24. The rest of the house is oak (? 1.5 inches) thick planks sanded and finished on site. Engineered iwood s thinner and looks more uniform --like laminate ---rather than looking like its sister traditional finished or unfinished thick hardwood planking. Reason I mention all is because if upstairs is bedrooms and halls and bath,, you may want to treat all in high quality laminate and can do the downstairs in hardwoods. The switch would save you a huge amt of $$ ( enough to put a dent in 1st year college tuition ( grin) or to get that new bedroom or new appliances etc etc for you! Price out the entire upstairs in hardwoods before you make decision. A new bedroom - how exciting. We just helped with a newborn nursery (Zutano Owls) and a "new big girl bedroom" for the three yr old. ( hedgehogs and a garden scene with flowers peeking thru real wood fencing!)

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9125748

awww, do you have pics of those bedrooms? they sound really cute!
We are on a slab so unless hubby wants to install the radiant heating mats I won't be doing hardwood downstairs(only the family room and a bath down there anyway)

Hubby nixed the laminate idea anyway, so guess we're doing the engineered hardwood. Going to hopefully pick it up tonight
going with this one
http://www.homedepot.com/Flooring-Hardwood-Flooring-Engineered-Click-Hardwood/h_d1/N-5yc1vZb9as/R-202103104/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

another thing I was finding was lots of the inexpensive floors were made in china...wasn't going to do that, so real happy to see Millstead is made in the USA, in TN to be exact
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

May 16, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9125810

Great color. We got the hardened surface treatment too - but walnut still not as hard as we would like.
Got ours from a 'green' contractor - that almost guarantees no China! ;0). The wood darkens quickly and so when you install the other don't worry if not a match for same order of same color etc. it will soon be the same after a few months. Helping with new baby currently and only took IPAD and can't upload. I will try to remember when I get back to NC.
We went on ETSY and got a tall 5 foot + ? - not sure of height tree decal with birds to sit behind the fencing too.. It came together quickly. I painted the fencing prior to nailing up.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9125842

Sounds adorable!

I also like the cork flooring(had it in the kitchen at the church we used to attend, sooooo comfortable) but hubby doesn't :(
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

May 17, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #9127429

My hubby HATES cork. I tried to lure him with the ole "your sound euipment will sound so much better" but it didn't work.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9138063

Yeah when they really hate something there is no convincing them

Floor is done, but had to go with the non-American made floor :(
Hubby wanted the hardness #4 or higher and the USA ones were 3 unless we special ordered it, we would have had to wait but we needed to get it done oh well...the underpad is made in the USA
This is handscaped Maple Sedona
Now to bring in the furniture tonight

Thumbnail by flowAjen   Thumbnail by flowAjen   Thumbnail by flowAjen
Click an image for an enlarged view.

missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

May 25, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9138880

Very nice hope you are happy with the color and look.y

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2012
8:48 PM

Post #9142589

Furniture is in

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Click the image for an enlarged view.

missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

May 29, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #9143763

Bet she is in love with the room. You will be so glad no carpeting to vacuum

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9143985

Yep, she (and her brother) love it! now he wants his room redone
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2012
8:55 PM

Post #9253863

I love the floor.
jujubetexas
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2012
9:03 PM

Post #9253874

My wife and I use red oak. You can pick out the bundles yourself. We get the ones with lots of swirls and patterns in the wood rather than the clean straight line look. 3/4 inch red oak is very inexpensive, hard and lasts a long time. Most of the houses built in the 1930-40's in my neighborhood have it and it is in great condition.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2012
10:23 PM

Post #9254946

pictures please

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Decorating Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Mexican theme, not for the faint of heart MollyMc 57 Jan 4, 2008 3:14 AM
Kitchen Makeover......There's no turning back now!! nminmd 164 Nov 19, 2014 12:23 AM
Removing Wallpaper GrannyLois 30 Aug 18, 2009 11:32 PM
Bedroom re-do Terry 42 Aug 16, 2014 11:12 PM
Re-do on the bedroom. What a difference! Badseed 45 Jan 23, 2009 6:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America