Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Hypertufa and Concrete: Some of my latest creations! Wanted to share!

Communities > Forums > Hypertufa and Concrete
bookmark
Forum: Hypertufa and ConcreteReplies: 29, Views: 422
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Vinesnmore
Bronson, FL

May 14, 2012
12:07 PM

Post #9123534

Here are a few things that I've made using concrete recently. I want to try hypertufa soon too!

Thumbnail by Vinesnmore   Thumbnail by Vinesnmore   Thumbnail by Vinesnmore   Thumbnail by Vinesnmore   Thumbnail by Vinesnmore
Click an image for an enlarged view.

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 14, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9123963

Wow. Well done! They're beautiful.
Vinesnmore
Bronson, FL

May 14, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9124009

Thank you! I'm thinking of starting an etsy store, think they're good enough to put on there!?
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 14, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9124067

Absolutely. Go for it. I really like the first, green leaf.
Vinesnmore
Bronson, FL

May 14, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9124141

One of the ladies I work with already took that one LOL. Her friend did some work for me in the yard so that was part of the payment! I made my etsy store!!!
Vinesnmore
Bronson, FL

May 29, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9144072

Here are some more that we painted today! If anyone has any suggestions for other ways to paint these (we've been hand painting them with acrylic paint then sealing them) I would love to hear your ways! On the last one the purple and green, the green veins glow in the dark!

Thumbnail by Vinesnmore   Thumbnail by Vinesnmore   Thumbnail by Vinesnmore   Thumbnail by Vinesnmore   Thumbnail by Vinesnmore

Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 30, 2012
5:53 AM

Post #9144488

They look similar to Caladium leaves, which are abundant in color combos. Google images of Caladium for great color inspirations. I'd suggest you make a bunch in that first green color too... there's a reason why that one disappeared so fast!
Vinesnmore
Bronson, FL

May 30, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9145400

I made two bird baths today I will do those the original green and black. I have seen ones that fade and have metallic sheen to them but don't know how they do it :(
Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 31, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9145827

metallic sheen? I've seen people put a metallic sheen on things by using this stuff called Rub-n-Buff, which comes in a lot of different metallic colors, but you'd have to seal it to make it last.
Vinesnmore
Bronson, FL

May 31, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9146987

Yeah I'm trying that now I think its with metallic pigment, but it doesn't seem to be my thing hahaha its not working too well but I'll keep trying!

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 31, 2012
11:14 PM

Post #9147171

May I ask how you are making these?
I have had a few thoughts on how to make cement leaves, in fact I'm working on a "leaf" sculpture right now.
But I would really like to be able to use my gunnera leaves in a sculpture.
Vinesnmore
Bronson, FL

June 1, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9148473

It's actually very simple I just mound sand in the shape/size of the leaf (the more you mound it the more it is a bowl shape) or you can make them flat for stepping stones. Once you mound you place the leaf with the veining size up and place concrete on it thicker in middle to thinner on the outside. I use the sand mixture and use drywall tape if I am making a big one and do two layers of concrete. I let it set overnight and then turn it over and remove the leaf and keep it misted for a few days before painting and sealing. I have been reading lately and see that alot of people use vinyl concrete patch and that is stronger so I might start trying that next week. I gave all my leaves to a friend who lost her job and she has painted them and is taking them to a festival to try and sell so I'm down to only a couple! I'm trying to build up stock so maybe I can do a craft fair or something with them. I already bring my plants and do shows so I think these would be a good addition. I hope that explains if not feel free to ask questions!

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2012
10:03 PM

Post #9148545

You really have me confused. Do you put the leaf in the sand bowl upside down or right side up?
I do a lot of cement art and I totally failed at making my first leaf cast but I'd like to try again.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

June 2, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9148706

Put the leaf upside down over the pile of sand - so the veins are more prominent when you put cement over it.

You can mound the sand and put the leaf upside down over it or you can make a bowl in the sand and,again, put the leaf upside down. You want the cement on the bottom of the leaf so the veins show up.

kb
Vinesnmore
Bronson, FL

June 3, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9150288

I am going to make some today or tomorrow and I will take photos to show you!

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 3, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9150554

How do you get edge definition? Do you just glop it on or paint it on?
Vinesnmore
Bronson, FL

June 3, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9150572

I put the concrete on with my heads and pat it to remove air bubbles and let it go almost to the edge. If it goes over i try to put it back up onto the leaf if it goes over I use a dremel to remove the excess.
Vinesnmore
Bronson, FL

June 3, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9150687

Here is a link that actually has a perfect tutorial on how to do it. I just finished with the dremel on my first big birdbath and now I'm contemplating on how to paint it!

http://www.gardenstew.com/about22738.html

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 3, 2012
10:07 PM

Post #9151117

Thanks for the link. A picture paints a thousand words.
I have a gunnera and it's putting off the biggest leaves ever this year. I think I'll start with a smaller one and make it so it can be the top layer of a leaf fountain. Still working on the "leaf" bird bath, I'll post pictures when I finish.
Vinesnmore
Bronson, FL

June 4, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9152072

Here are some new ones, the first picture are ones that a friend of ours painted to sell at a festival (none sold :( so she brought them back to us painted) The others are ones that I did by painting black and using metallic pigment over the top.

Vinesnmore
Bronson, FL

June 4, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9152133

These are the two shaped as bird baths / feeders they are alot thicker than the rest so they are much heavier and they have concrete stands that I shaped/ molded into them as well.

Thumbnail by Vinesnmore   Thumbnail by Vinesnmore

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2012
10:22 PM

Post #9168285

I love your leaves. You know I have been going to several local Farmer's Markets weekly since January and I finally just gave it up.
I was selling plants, nice plants, cheap. People just don't seem to be buying much these days, at least not much other than food. Give them as gifts to all your friends. If you didn't live 3,000 miles away I'd trade you one of my cement fairy house fronts for one!
I am trying to get motivated to make one from a gunnera leaf, my first attempt was such a failure I'm having trouble getting started, LOL. A gunnera leaf would make a good natural bird bath, they are kind of cup shaped. But I really want to make a fountain from a series of three of them graduating them in size.
Vinesnmore
Bronson, FL

June 17, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9169307

Yeah the farmers markets are kind of dead I have friends that do them and I used to as well. I'm a RN so I don't have much free time and I don't go as I don't think it would be worth it. However, I think crafts shows would work out well! Some people from work are ordering small Lotus leaves from me I just sell them unpainted for 5 bucks and I enjoy making them so! I bought a gunnera just to try to get the leaves and paid like 40 bucks with shipping and it is now DEAD UGGGG! I wish that they would grow here but I guess it's too hot. Maybe we could ship to each other one day and trade! What kind of plants were you selling?

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2012
10:48 PM

Post #9169530

It took three tries to finally keep a gunnera alive. The two I have now I found on a sale table for $10. each, I figured it was worth another try. One is huge, it is in full shade but it still fries in the Summer and we don't really have very hot weather here, but it's alot dryer than the Pacific northwest. The other never has done well but is hanging on. I spray them on hot days.
I've decided to have yard "plant" sales once a month and try to get rid of some of the excess that way.
Right now I have mostly cannas, nothing really exciting unless you like canna indica. I also have a ton of lycnis (pink, white, and red), Thunbergia (white, yellow, and sunset), white sage, allysum saxatile, corkscrew willow, turkey fig, geraniums, agaves, aloes, bronze fennel, wisteria, rain lillies, and a bunch of succulents. I was trying to do herbs but the seeds were lousy and I didn't get very many plants. I started doing succulent leaf cuttings last fall and just have a ton of interesting ones rooted in small pots. I also have several kinds of large aeoniums and a hillside of cotyledon orbitulata. I figure I could get into making succulent pots to sell at the local fairs, which we have sooo many of in my area. Trying to come up with some kind of pot I could make and then plant. At any rate I will keep up with the succulents, there is some potential there for something.
It's possible that unpainted leaves might be the ticket. If for no other reason than they take less time which translates into more profit.
I'm enjoying NOT going to the Farmer's market and I'm putting in a huge morning glory garden for the local hummingbirds and bees.
Vinesnmore
Bronson, FL

June 18, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9169778

Sounds like you have alot going! How much land do you have? I do gingers and bananas mostly. I am almost out of room and I have a half acre LOL. I'm not sure how much I can really fit into it anymore. The unpainted I'm doing cheap but I think at the art fairs I would sell the painted ones for more. Having the sales once a month will probably work well and just put an ad up on craigslist! That's what I need to do now that some stuff is blooming finally!

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9169816

I have 24+ acres of mostly California Live Oak forest. I'm in a canyon and the property stretches from the bottom were the road is up to the top of one side. I have gardened around the house more than I can maintain. I also have a hoop greenhouse with a little fenced yard next to it (deer protection). And we have a small protected vege garden that my daughter tends. It's somewhat of a wildlife sanctuary with all the trees. We have deer, bunnies, skunks, fox, bobcats, and occasionally a mountain lion roams through. We even saw a bear in the canyon earlier this year, that was a first. We also have owls, red-tailed hawk, other raptors, numerous birds and rodents (like tree rats). We're only 15 minutes to the ocean so the weather is moderate. I feel pretty fortunate to have such a cool place to live. If the economy would turn around I have no doubt I could find some kind of income making scheme involving this place. A half acre is a lot of garden, that's probably about what I tend too. I can't do true tropicals though, we sometimes get a freeze. Just enough to drop the canna to the ground about every 3 years. That's why I'm selling all of them LOL. I can't seem to keep a banana alive here or get a ginger to bloom either.
Vinesnmore
Bronson, FL

June 18, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9169837

Wow sounds amazing!!! Yeah I bet you could come up with something with all of that. What zone are you in? I currently have blooming bananas both edible and ornamental and I'm in zone 8b/9a and my cannas are frozen to the ground every year and also have some gingers blooming. So, I'd bet money if I can do it you can!!

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9170943

Sounds like your are in the same zone as me, sometimes 8b, sometimes 9a. I was really bummed when my banana turned to mush.
What kind of bananas are you growing? I grew up with bananas in my Mom's southern California garden, they are so cool. The cannas are a whole other story. I dug all of them up and potted them to sell. Keeping a few of the best ones in pots for me. I just moved them out of the greenhouse today and I swear I don't know how I got so many of them. I'll never sell them all, I guess I could put them out at the curb, my plants always go over big with the neighbors. I'm going to reintroduce some of them. I love canna indica and I grew a forest worth of them from seed so I guess I'll at least have to find a place for them. Maybe Craig's List might be an option.
Vinesnmore
Bronson, FL

June 18, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #9170954

Yeah craigslist is OK... I get maybe 2-3 replies A MONTH but I don't relist it very often to bump myself to the top LOL! I have over 40 varieties of bananas LOL they're one of my addictions. THe two that are blooming currently are Raja Puri and Praying Hands !!! If you go here >>> http://www.bananas.org/f2/banana-progress-13726.html you can see the thread I have from the beginning (go to page 7 and you'll see !!!) I think I have a list on there somewheres LOL!

This message was edited Jun 18, 2012 11:15 PM

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2012
8:52 PM

Post #9171020

Wow, 40 varieties! I tend to go from one plant to another. Although I must admit I have a hard time passing up a good looking agave.
I've tried to curb that impulse because my daughters really don't like pokey plants and someday they will have to deal with them. At present morning glories are my latest craze but if I have much more trouble with the bunnies and the bugs eating them they won't be my fav for long. You know morning glory seeds are poisonous, maybe I could use them for gopher control, LOL.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hypertufa and Concrete Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hypertufa Trough Mini Garden Buttoneer 16 May 22, 2007 6:02 AM
Mock Rock rootdoctor 38 Apr 16, 2013 1:45 PM
More Mock Rock rootdoctor 182 Oct 21, 2012 1:24 AM
Making rocks trois 188 Mar 26, 2013 10:44 AM
Hyper Tufa - Another Fountain meagert 34 Sep 17, 2008 11:09 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America