Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Vegetable Gardening: Chinese Long Beans

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 97, Views: 555
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9123776

I have never tried these but I just ordered seeds at Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. I ordered three varieties. I got Red-Seeded Asparagus Bean, Chinese Green Noodle Bean and Chinese Red Noodle Bean. I also got Scarlet Runner Beans which I sometimes plant just because I think they are pretty. I usually grow green beans (pole beans) and this year will have Blue Lake but honestly, I am so ready to try the Long Beans!
ERNIECOPP
Vista, CA

May 14, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9123966

We tried what were called "Yard Long Beans" last year and it produced a huge, huge, crop of beans that we thought tasted terrible. We tried them in different ways a few times and gave up and tore them out.

I do hope yours turn out better, and that you enjoy the taste. If that happens, be sure and post the variety.

Ernie

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 14, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9123970

I used to grow scarlet runners on a teepee kind of a trellis. The trellis reached 14 feet high. The beans got to the top and still tried to reach for the clouds. They didn't taste that great, though. However, the plants were very impressive.

Sylvain.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9123991

I don't eat the Scarlett runner beans. I just grow them for the pretty flowers. I am not sure what Yard Long Beans are. But these that I ordered had good customer reviews at Baker Creek. All three supposed to taste great.
ERNIECOPP
Vista, CA

May 14, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9124096

That was the name on the package, but they were only about 18 or 20 inches long, and they were very prolific. Healthy vines, no pests, but just did not taste like green beans. I do not remember which seed company or nursery i got them from, but i have seen them in the seed displays since.

Ernie
ERNIECOPP
Vista, CA

May 14, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9124140

Rita,
I googled "yard long beans" and that is just another name for Chinese Long Beans. I did not open the other sites listed, but there were a lot of recipes on how to cook them so apparently some people do enjoy them.

Ernie

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 15, 2012
9:07 AM

Post #9124743

Oh ok, thanks. I am new to this so didn't know they are the same thing. I can't wait until I have some to try a taste test!
ERNIECOPP
Vista, CA

May 15, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #9125113

Let us know how you like them. Kind of hazy on the taste, but it seems like they were mushy, too. But i do recall we were expecting something like fresh green beans and did not get that, so we gave up on them, instead of trying different ways to make them palatable.

Ernie

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 15, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9125171

I love stir fly veggies and was planning on trying them that way.
ERNIECOPP
Vista, CA

May 15, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9125211

That should be a good test for them. I just do not remember the different ways Linda fixed them before we gave up. But for sure, only a few plants will give you an abundant supply. The ones i had were very heavy producers.

Ernie
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9126541

That's almost all I grow, they don't seem to be as bothered by pests such as Spider Mites as much as pole beans. We don't let them get that long and usually we eat them raw just like pole or bush beans. They do like the heat so you may want to wait to sow them.

My youngest son loves them so much that they never got a chance to get big.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9137136

My seeds came at last. I haven't opened any of the bean packets but I can already tell just by feeling the package that the seeds of these beans are so much smaller than the regular bean seeds I am used to. I am thinking I might have to start them inside as the beans I start inside have been sprouting in afew days while ones I planted direct sow outside way last week (scarlett runners) have not even begone to come up.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9137162

What are your temps? I just sowed a few and they were up in a couple of days.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9137170

It is nice during the day but still going down to the 50's at night. It is the night temps that I am worried about. If the scarlett runner beans are not coming up because it is too cool then these heat lovers certainly need more warmth.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9137383

I agree with you, that's why I grow them here because they thrive in the heat. It doesn't matter how hot it gets.

However, I have been in your area during the summer and I thought I was going to die of the heat or at least suffocate. Talk about humidity.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2012
6:12 AM

Post #9137788

SRB are slow to germinate for me; I'd give them time.
Pugzley
Lake Elsinore, CA

May 25, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9137847

Hi, I grow yard long beans every year. They are wonderful for stir frying and we also use them in a lot of soups. They love heat, produce like crazy and do not taste like traditional green beans. It only takes about 8 of them to make a serving for two. This is one of my favorite things to grow. Have fun, they are really unusual looking and a great conversation starter. :)

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9138056

It is plenty hot and humid too here during the summer so I am not worried about the Long Beans not growing. I am sure that they will do just fine. Simply concerned with starting them. I have decided I will start them inside and that way I don't have to worry about it.
Pugzley
Lake Elsinore, CA

May 25, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #9138089

I've not tried starting them inside,I'm not sure how happy they will be with being transplanted, but you can try. Let us know how that goes.

I just wait until the weather is really warm and direct seed. You can grow them in pots with trellises but I get more beans when they are in the ground.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2012
11:24 AM

Post #9138206

No problem transplanting. I just start my beans in cellpacks and then just plop them in the ground. Works all the time for my pole beans.

I just planted all the bean seeds and now I just need to wait for them to grow.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9138243

I usually just germinate them in a baggie or a little potting soil and as soon as they germinate I stick them in the ground. I think its a good idea that you are starting them early. They may not produce well until your temps get high but by then your plants will be good size and you should get a great yield.

Pugs-you have a much longer growing season then Rita does and yes, it gets very hot and stays that way for along time. lol

Rita-were you looking for an Asian Cucumber on another thread? Ive had GREAT luck with Chinese Yellow, Thai Green,
Thai Special and Poona Kherra (India with DTM of only 55 days) I got mine at Baker Creek, www.rareseeds.com. I also have some Japanese Long that were a gift I havent tried them yet, I may not have room this year. You are way ahead of me and Im 1 1/2 a head of you, thought it would be more actually. lol Im obsessed with tomatoes but i told myself that Im getting the seeds in dirt today! They cant grow unless they are in dirt! And it only takes a second. ARGH... I would also recommend Thai pumpkins they do great here. You would have to get them sown soon tho for them to have time to mature before a freeze.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9138307

I expect they will produce great because like I said it gets hot and humid here in the summer. Just now it has been cooler than normal at night or maybe I am just more aware of the lower temps at night because I started all my bean seeds.

Last night I did put in an order at GourmetSeed.com and today they already sent me an e-mail that they have shipped. So I should have those seeds early next week, maybe even Tuesday. I bought Chinese Long Cucumbers and also Tortarello Abruzzesse cucumbers otherwise known as Armenian Melon Cucumbers. Also some brocoli raab seeds and various peas (that I will save for my fall crop).

Somehow when I put in my order for Long Beans at Baker Creek, I wasn't yet interested in asian cucumbers. Since then I Have been looking both there at Baker Creek and at Kitazawa. But not sure that I will get more or not as I might be good just with what I have. But the choices are so many one doesn't know what to choose. So I appreciate the advice on which are really good ones! Thanks!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 26, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9139628

I have harvested Long Beans all week and today I finally cooked them.
I am growing them for the first year: red-seeded asparagus bean and Chinese red noodle bean.
I cut them 4" long and boiled in salty water for 15 minutes. Salt+pepper+olive oil and they are so good ... I never had such delicious beans and ...we grow a lot of them in Italy.
What it was so cool is that the red pods turned BLACK ... you should have seen my DH face ... giggle ... soooooo good !

I am growing the long beans by a wood fence. I just attached some netting I bought at Lowe's. That area doesn't get water by the soaker hose ... poor soil and it is totally forgotten ... those beans must be very thought !!

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor
Click an image for an enlarged view.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 26, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9139676

Wow, look at those pods! They look so good. I can't wait to try em. But I just planted my seeds yesterday so it is gonna be a while for me ha-ha!

I have read people complain about the taste that they don't taste like string beans. Seems to me different is fine. They sound yummy!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 26, 2012
11:02 PM

Post #9140060

Rita-I we eat them raw well my youngest son does because he gets to them first and they taste alot like regular beans to me. But I think people taste things differently.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2012
11:09 AM

Post #9141927

They are starting to come up already! The Red Noodles are the most up and the Green Noodles the least up. But all three kinds are breaking ground.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 28, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #9142001

So are mine! Its amazing. I soaked them then stuck them in the ground, they are already up. I sowed them so late because I couldnt figure out where I should put them. I didnt want them to block the sun. I really enjoy hearing about them growing in 2 such different locations. I am surprised that you are only 1 1/2 zones lower then we are. Good Luck with yours!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9142013

I didn't even soak mine. Just planted them and kept them moist. But I only planted them on the 25th and today is only the 28th. So I think they are popping up really quickly.

Meantime, those Scarlett Runners I meantioned on the posting of the 25th still have not shown up. I am afraid they might have rotted. I do have more seeds but don't know if I should wait or just resow already.
ERNIECOPP
Vista, CA

May 28, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9142154

Rita,
I was not complaing about how long beans taste. I was just stating that I did not like either the taste or the consistency so i tore them out. But that was not a complaint, that was an opinion.

Ernie

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9142191

No problem. I don't expect everyone to be the same. I am convinced I will really like them but then again, I could be wrong.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 28, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9142356

Just like Malabar spinach some of us love it and some don't. That's what makes life interesting.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9143727

These things are popping up like mad. In fact all my beans have been growing like crazy. It has turned hot and humid yesterday and today and the beans are loving it. The Blue Lake Pole beans are shooting up like crazy, they seem to grow an inch or two a day. The Spanish Musaca are catching up to them quickly (planted later) and I figgure those yard long beans are not gonna waste any time trying to outdo the others. Now, my yard longs are very small but I notice their first set of leaves are thiner and pointier than on the Blue Lake. I am enjoying watching the growing show!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #9151627

The Long Beans came up very quickly when I planted them. But since then they haven't done much of anything and just look like they are just sitting there. Leaves all nice and dark green though. The weather has turned cooler so I am thinking maybe they are waiting for warmer weather to really start growing.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 4, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9152439

They really need warm weather. All the research I've done on them says that. If your soil was warm enough to get them to germinate I'm sure they'll be fine once the temps go back up. I planted 2 varieties 1 germinated at almost 100% the other didn't but now I don't know which is which. The color of the beans is a little different I hope I guess correctly, as soon as I reseed the first batch will sprout.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 5, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #9194333

Well, been waiting for flowers (and waiting and waiting). Finially the Asparagus Bean started flowering so hopefully the others will start also.

The SPANISH MUSICA beans have been flowering already for a long time and have small beans on them so these guys better hurry up ha-ha.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 5, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9194352

They really thrive in the heat. I'm growing 2 different types. One had 100% germination the other one was much less but since I can't tell which is which I can't reseed them. The one is starting to bloom and has little long beans, maybe now I'll see which is which and can sow more seeds.

These, the Malabar Spinach (which sell sowed), and Thai Red Roselle are going crazy in the heat, which has not been that bad this year.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 5, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9194371

Lately it has been hot. Not as hot as down south but still plenty hot enough for me.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 8, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #9198115

Hurray, another of the varieties of Long Beans is flowering. The hotter it is the more these beans seem to like it!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2012
10:46 AM

Post #9207290

Well I was able to pick the first few of the Long Beans today. First ones! Got three from the Asparagus Bean. Longest 22 inches, then 20 inches, then 18 inches. I need more! I want to stir fry. I tasted a piece raw and I loved the flavor. Yumm!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #9207394

yes they are so good.
The green asparagus beans produce at least 1/3 of the red chinese beans and the red thai beans.
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9207818

I grow the red noodle bean; pick them at about 8-10", and stir fry them. They are delicious! Leave them a little al dente

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 17, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9209108

Too skinny at 10 inches. Here is one from today at over 16 inches.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Click the image for an enlarged view.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9209141

newyorkrita
you are right ! Those beans need to be harvested long ... that' why they are called "long beans' ... giggle

Thumbnail by drthor

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 17, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9209167

drthor- Everything looks yummy! I don't have any RED NOODLE yet. Want to see how different they taste from the green ones. I have been getting ripe Asparagus bean to pick.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9209544

In my opinion the red long beans are sweeter.
Also they are easier to pick .. since they are red!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 17, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9209597

That is why I planted three types of the Long Beans as I wanted to be able to compair all three varieties for myself and see what I liked better.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

July 18, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #9209808

just my two cents worth but I have grown a lot of diferent beans in my lifetime(76yrs) and my favorite for pure ornamentals are the Hyacinth Bean Vine AKA Lab lab>>beautiful flowers and abundant purple seed pods and some folks eat them

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 18, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9210133

I have grown Hyacinth Bean as an ornamental as they do have those lovely flowers. But I am not interested in eating them. Will stick with the Yard Long Beans!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2012
10:01 AM

Post #9210189

weeeeee
Look at how many beans I got today !!!

Thumbnail by drthor

rjogden
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 18, 2012
11:38 AM

Post #9210283

[quote="newyorkrita"]That is why I planted three types of the Long Beans as I wanted to be able to compare all three varieties for myself and see what I liked better. [/quote]
Chuckle... Baker Creek alone lists 12 different varieties. Kitazawa sells eight (only two of which match Baker Creek offerings). The species is apparently grown and eaten all over Asia, so I strongly suspect there are great differences in the flavor, size, growth habit, ideal growing conditions, etc.

This is not just another bean - it's not even in the same genus as kidney beans, French or Italian beans, Scarlet Runners, Lima Beans, etc. So naturally it's going to taste different from common green beans.

-Rich

This message was edited Jul 18, 2012 2:45 PM

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 18, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9210380

Well, I did not mean that by planting the three types that I had covered all bases. I just wanted to start out with a variety as I had never have Yard Long Beans before. If for some reason I don't like one of them, at least I have something to compair them too.

drthor- WOW!!!! I have only been getting afew a day.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 19, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #9211042

newyorkrita
they will produce more as they get older ! no worries !
By the way, those beans are planted in regular clay, no special soil, and I hand-water them ... when I remember !
They are a HERO in my garden !!

This message was edited Jul 19, 2012 6:20 AM

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9211357

I really don't do anything to mine either except watch them grow.

I bought my seeds at Baker Creek and that is funny because I was looking for something else, decided to look to see what other things they carried, looked at beans and saw the Long Beans. I had NEVER heard of Long Beans before but quickly decided that I wanted to grow them.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9211619

Got a few more Long Beans today. I think I have enough to stir fry them as a side dish to the steak I am planning for dinner. Will report back later on how they tasted but I expect them to be yummy.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9211817

Oh yum, yum, yum. They were SOOO good. I lightly sauteed them in some olive oil with chopped garlic. Added some dried onion flakes and a few red pepper flakes. Sweet and tender and I LOVE the flavor. If you ask me these are much better than string beans.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

July 29, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #9222721

Oh wow ... I purchased some last year but didn't grow them. I'll definitely do them this next year. They sound just like what I want! We love stir fry. I'm sure that's why I picked them out. I didn't see the red ones. Will have to go back and check on that. I've made a list of the cucumbers, too. This is a great thread. Thanks for this info and the nudge I need for planting my yard long beans. I had forgotten about them. So many seeds ... so little space!!
Happy planting ... ~Susan

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9222727

This is my first time but honestly, they are great. Will definatly be back next year. They are producing like crazy now.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9222946

Susan-just give them something to climb up. Its has been my experience that they are not bothered by any of the usual pest that other beans are such as Spider Mites. They are so easy to grow and they love heat and humidity. Sounds perfect for South Georgia.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9223043

Tasty yummy too!
Pugzley
Lake Elsinore, CA

July 30, 2012
3:51 PM

Post #9223986

Make sure you save some seeds off your plants for next year. I planted 60 seeds that I saved. They were the red seeded long beans. They are really taking off.

I've got another 2 to 3 months of hot to moderate temps of growing weather here where I am.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9223992

Won't the plants cross polinate? I have Red Noodle, green noodle and asparagus bean all planted side by side.
Pugzley
Lake Elsinore, CA

July 30, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9223999

Oh, I don't know. Wouldn't hurt to try I guess. I usually grow a couple of varieties when I grow them. I guess we'll see what comes off my bean plants.

If they did cross pollinate, you'd likely get a nice bean anyway. :)
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2012
9:25 PM

Post #9224404

They are mainly self pollinating. I've had beans x before. It was very evident in the color of the shells. I'll end up ordering more next year, my youngest son eats ALL I can pick. One had much better germination then the other. I'm going to start more when we get back on August 8th.

See we can garden in hot temps you just have to know what to grow.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

July 31, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #9224972

1lisac
Now you're making me jealous ... ☺
helenchild
Decatur, GA

July 31, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9225001

drthor,
Your harvests are fantastic! Beautiful. And I am sure taste too.
I tried to grow pole beans and had terrible troubles with spider mites. I didn't know how to control them. So this year I put bush beans in again and got some good results. It is just so hard to pick the bush beans. My back aches thinking about it.
Helen
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

July 31, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9225022

Helen,
I grew pole beans and had good success by growing them on a trellis. It's the netting type. I'll see if I can find the variety I grew and post. It was a couple of years ago. I grow in Earth Boxes, so I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 31, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #9225150

helenchild
thanks for the nice words.
It is just pure luck !!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 31, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9225171

I use Neem Oil on spider mites. Its organic but I use it because it works. You just can't use it in the heat of the day or in direct sunlight.

Susan-you still have time to grow them. We have at least 2+ months of hot weather.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

July 31, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9225466

You know, I'm going to clean out a space and try it. What have I got to lose! ☺

BTW, Helen, I planted Kentucky Wonder and French fillet tavera beans in 09. The KY Wonder did the best.
helenchild
Decatur, GA

July 31, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9225540

Thanks IO1, I will make a note of your recommendation.
drthor, I know what you mean about feeling lucky when the veggies start rolling in... it seems all I did was plant a seed and this is what happens!! But we know there is a lot more than luck involved. ;-) Like hard work for one.!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9227305

Oh man. Here are some Yard Longs that stayed on the vine too long before I picked them. Pods all bumpy which means they are rubbery and not good tasting for eating. Threw them in the compost pile.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9227306

The red noodles are ok. I picked them in time!

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

grits74571
Talihina, OK

August 2, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9227404

A pic of some yard long grown by Cathy and Wayne Rister Ball.La.

Thumbnail by grits74571

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9227408

I see bumpy pods. Too long on the vine before picking for good eating. They do look impressive that length though!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 2, 2012

Post #9227419

WOW those are long !
I found out that the green variety is so hard to spot ... while I love the red beans. I can see them right away.
From now on, only RED LONG BEANS for me !

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9227427

Funny, I like the green ones better.
rjogden
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 3, 2012
11:44 PM

Post #9228979

[quote="grits74571"]A pic of some yard long grown by Cathy and Wayne Rister Ball.La.[/quote]
I would agree about the bumpy pods - the pods in the photo are way past their prime.

-Rich

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2012
1:44 PM

Post #9234572

I have started to harvest : CHINESE MOSAIC LONG BEANS and they nothing like in the picture.
http://rareseeds.com/vegetablesa-c/beans/long-beans/chinese-mosaic-long-bean.html
They are not LONG and they are not RED.
They are green with a red line.
Have you also try this before?

Thumbnail by drthor

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 8, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9234591

Humm, never had those. Don't know if they are supposed to look like that.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9234607

Yes I was very surprised too.
The CHINESE RED NOODLE BEANS are still my favorite!
http://rareseeds.com/vegetablesa-c/beans/long-beans/chinese-red-noodle-bean.html
TXbabybloomer
Dayton, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2012
11:56 PM

Post #9235183

I grew both red and green long beans this year, for the first time. One thing I can say - they are VERY prolific! We have eaten many, and I have canned quite a lot of them. My family and neighbors have been the recipients of many as well. lol The only problem we have had, is that they mature so fast! If we go out to pick in the AM - those beans that are still too small to pick are too big if left till the next morning! Right now, I have a huge amount of beans on the vines (I sort of stopped picking.) that are best for seed saving, rather than eating. lol I will grow fewer next year. ~Diana

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9235396

TXbabybloomer
could you tell me how what do you do to can your beans. please?

This also was my first year growing Long Beans, and definitely they will be my MUST plant crop every year with Okra, to survive our crazy summers.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9235831

Ok, I'm jumping in!

I just ordered seeds at Rareseeds.com for Red-Seeded Asparagus Bean, Chinese Green Noodle Bean and Chinese Red Noodle Bean.

Hope they come quickly (in a few days). As fast as ya'll say they grow, I might have time to sow at least ONE row before the weather cools down. I have at least 60 days of heat ahead, maybe a good 70.

Linda

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9235896

Kitazawa also has many kinds of "yard long beans": http://www.kitazawaseed.com/seeds_bean.html

Akasanjaku #174
Dark Green #401
Kurojuroku #175
Mosaic #262
Orient Wonder #001
Red Noodle #263
Tsu In #247
White Seeded #232

None of the descriptions said either "hybrid" or "OP", though Kitazawa usually says one or the other. The descriptions mostly sounded "heirloomish" or like traditional varieties, so I would guess most are stable, OP strains.
Pugzley
Lake Elsinore, CA

August 11, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9237747

These beans grow great in pots as well as planted in the ground. I put seeds in a 7 gallon pot, 10 to a pot, stuck in some bamboo poles for them to climb and they are going crazy in there. They're flowering and I've got beans coming now. The bean pods seem to grow about an inch a day. So cute when they're little. :)

Won't be long and we'll be munching. I should take pics, they are really pretty vines.
TXbabybloomer
Dayton, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 12, 2012
12:09 AM

Post #9238603

drthor, I cut up the beans and put them raw (so they would stay crisper) in sterile jars, poured hot water over to cover, put lids on them and put them in a pressure canner for about 10 -14 minutes at 10 lb of pressure.Basically I canned them the same as I always have regular green beans. Sometimes I add a pinch of sea salt. This year I also added small pieces of cooked bacon and a few pieces of raw onion to some of them. We tried a jar to see what that would taste like and found them to taste a little pickled. lol The red ones stayed a dark purple/red color after being canned. They look so pretty in the pantry with the other canned goods.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 12, 2012
6:03 AM

Post #9238685

TXbabybloomer
thanks so much.
I don't have a pressure canner ... yet.
Could I use just a regular water bath?
rjogden
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 12, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9238998

[quote="drthor"]I don't have a pressure canner ... yet.
Could I use just a regular water bath?[/quote]
Water baths are supposed to be fine for acidic foods like tomatoes and most fruit, but they don't get hot enough to safely use for putting up non-acid foods.

-Rich
grits74571
Talihina, OK

August 12, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9239423

Lot of people can green beans without a pressure canner but here is the facts Botulism spores can survive temps up 265 which is about 15lbs of pressure Now bear with me just a little bit because I am going off memory here ..The botulism spore are an-arobic meaning they can multiply in an oxygen free enviroment but it has to be very low acid ..So any low acid product needs to be pressured .Please look in the canning and freezing forum,,, over there are lots of knowledgable folks ready and willing to answer all of your canning questions

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 13, 2012
5:41 AM

Post #9239719

thanks
Pugzley
Lake Elsinore, CA

August 25, 2012
11:19 AM

Post #9253281

FYI, My beans thrived in 112 deg. temps, set fruit and made beans in that heat. They were getting full sun for about 8 hours a day, rest of the time spent in the shade. They were in the sun during the hottest part of the day.

For people looking to find veggies that are prolific in extreme heat, this is a great one. There are so few of them.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9267969

I just love those LONG BEANS.
I am harvesting almost every other day now !

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor
Click an image for an enlarged view.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9268024

I am already planning where I will be planting the Long Beans next year. And although I have the red ones also this year I have found that I prefer the taste of the green ones. So maybe stick to green next year. We will see. I agree that they produce like mad!
helenchild
Decatur, GA

September 7, 2012
11:20 AM

Post #9268063

Has anyone tried yellow green beans? I remember them as 'waxed' beans. They might be a good choice for ease of harvest because of their visibility.
Nice crop drthor. Are you eating, canning, freezing, gifting or donating?

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2012

Post #9268298

I am eating beans like mad !
Love it !

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2013
11:47 AM

Post #9528550

Ha! I loved the Yard long beans very much last year so they are back this year. I chooze my favorite of the three I tried which is the Asparagus Bean and have planted those. In fact some are comming up already.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2013
5:56 PM

Post #9528950

I've sown the regular beans but since the long beans like hot weather I'm waiting to sow those. Since it warmed up I'm trying to get as much done as possible I can't do it all at once.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2013
12:19 PM

Post #9542115

I sowed Red Seeded Asparagus Beans in place and they have popped up already what with the hot weather we have been having lately. I planted them in the middle of a 7 foot square raised veggie bed where I put up green metal fence posts and trellis netting for them. Then the white seeded Asparagus Beans I had started in one of those veggie seedling packs and those I just transplanted out today.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America