Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Texas Gardening: Are you growing Mexican flame vine?

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 17, Views: 233
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Inthegarden
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 15, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9124690

Does anyone have a rooted plant to trade? I lost mine and it was just getting big and beautiful...
I've got a few vines to trade.

City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

May 17, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9127786

I am!!! I am!!! Do you root them or save the seeds? I dont know how to do either on this plant. I bought mine online from Brushwood Gardens and Lord they are worth every penny. They are huge and was already budding. They arrived with twisters on them because they were already trailing! I am afraid to touch them right now, but if you tell what to do will make sure we have plenty next year.
btw How long does it take to root?
Inthegarden
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9133547

I got one from a trade and it was well rooted already so I've not rooted one myself. I've tried the seeds but not luck in germinating them.
It was just getting huge and I mean huge covered with blooms; it was over the fence and up my neighbor's tree. Then the killing cold came.

Here's some info from Floridata:

Culture
Mexican flame vine is not particular about soil.
Light: Bright sun or light shade.
Moisture: Water until established, then it becomes drought tolerant.
Hardiness:USDA 9 - 11. This tropical vine is killed to the ground by frost, but even in Zone 8 gardens it will quickly recover.
Propagation:Propagate by seeds, cuttings or layers (sections of vine that naturally form roots where it touches the ground)
Layering maybe the easiest to do; I've done layering before with my jasmium nudiflorum.

Betsy

City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

May 22, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9134165

Layering Now you really got me! lol I will try rooting some when its get established.
Remind me please. :)
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9134369

Layering is so easy just take one of the branches that has new growth and put it on the ground, hold it there with a rock and it will form roots where it's touching the ground. It usually forms roots faster if it's kept wet so as long as your getting it established you might be able to keep that area wet so it can form roots too. After the roots are well formed cut the plant away from the mother plant and you have a new plant!
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

May 23, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9135785

This might be happening already. There is a leak from the faucet which keep the ground moist. Actually I am trying to train the branches to go up into the shrubs. I will check.
cindylove
Lewisville, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9136474

I am trying to grow this, but with no success! Last year Dale Clark gave me a cutting & it was growing, but then the winter wiped it out. I already had seeds & have planted them all already but with no success!!!! Hopefully I can get more one day!! lol
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

May 25, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9138782

Cindy this is how my first one looked. It grew all over neighbors roofs. I am trying to train it to cover the dead shrubs out front. pray it works. :)
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2012
11:15 PM

Post #9138932

Wow, it is beautiful.
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

May 26, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9139923

I am sure I got that piece from someone at one of the Plant swaps. I hope i am lucky enough to get some cuttings going.
cindylove
Lewisville, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 1, 2012
2:52 PM

Post #9226270

Sylvia, your vine is beautiful!!! My seeds never did grow!!! Dale did say they don't transplant well either! hmmm. It's was more a "hit & miss" on transplanting, I was lucky mine started to grow, but winter came "early" hahahaha.
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

August 2, 2012
11:16 AM

Post #9227197

Now that you reminded me, I am having problems with mine climbing. it might be too hot out there. I hope its still out there.
LeslieT
Bellaire, TX

August 20, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9247559

I know you are growing from seed or layering, but . . . I have three examples of a special cultivar of this vine that did not die in a hard freeze, but returned from the roots whereas one or two of the species died. This cultivar is redder than the species and a little less full in its flower. I had two of the species survive the freeze and do still grow them. This is a wonderful vine. Kartuz.com has the hardier cultivar which is called Senecio confusus 'Sao Paulo' which some of my visitors prefer over the species.
cindylove
Lewisville, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 25, 2012
11:32 PM

Post #9253912

Thanks Leslie, Dale had given me both a root & seeds... I guess I need the hardier type next year.
athenssandy
Athens, TX

September 1, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9261536

Leslie, is it too late to plant the sao paulo now?
LeslieT
Bellaire, TX

September 10, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9270716

Athenssandy: I would wait until spring. That's just me, but I wouldn't take a chance on the plant getting established before a freeze since you have to buy them.
LeslieT

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9270788

Almosyeden also gas then.

Sandy, where did you come from before Athens ?

Cant wait to meet you at the Roundup !
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9271209

Sylvia, I just took a piece of vine near the terminal end with at least 2 leaf nodes. I put soil in a 1gallon pot about 2/3 full. I then laid the vine in the pot with the two nodes touching the soil and only a little bit of the growing end protruding from the soil. Then I finished it with about one inch more of soil and kept it moist in the shade. it started to grow and make new leaves in about 1 month.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America