Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Landscaping: New pond before and after...

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 27, Views: 513
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
estrail1rider
Melfa, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 15, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9124695

I wanted a pond at our new house similar to the one at our old house. Not a big one, just to grown some plants around and a few goldfish.
The first picture is of my DH beginning the work last fall.
The second is after I have now finished the landscaping. There are plants that cannot be seen yet. The irises haven't bloomed, the cattails are just coming up, and so is the banana.
Yea!!

Thumbnail by estrail1rider   Thumbnail by estrail1rider
Click an image for an enlarged view.

smileymom343
Kenmore, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9125091

What a nice area! Nice job!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 15, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9125142

Looks very nice...you should enjoy the water sounds from the porch.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

May 15, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #9125194

You did a good job!!!

Belle
ilovedahlias
Wakefield, MA

May 16, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9125830

Congratulations! That is adorable. I bet you are going to have fun watching the fishies. Someday I hope to have a pond.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2012
8:28 AM

Post #9125926

Very nice!!!! Love it!
PhyllisJ
Johnson City, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 5, 2012
2:23 AM

Post #9193533

Very nice pond. I built one last year and love watching the Koa play. I have a turtle spitter and the Koa will jump over the stream as it hits the water. I had no idea how much I would enjoy the pond when I built it. There is just something real relaxing about it.
estrail1rider
Melfa, VA
(Zone 8a)

August 17, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9244414

A bit newer photo...I need to get a more recent one but you can see how it has grown!

Thumbnail by estrail1rider
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

August 17, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9244431

Very nice!!!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 17, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9244531

Looks lovely. What a difference a couple months makes. I know you are enjoying your pond.
smileymom343
Kenmore, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #9244602

Very nice indeed!
PhyllisJ
Johnson City, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 17, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9244626

I love it.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 17, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9244731

Filling in nicely!
velveteena
Seattle, WA

August 27, 2012
11:58 PM

Post #9256525

Dear Melfa,
I'll admit I didn't have your "vision" in the first photo, but , wow! You guys really pulled it off! In the later photo. Are the tall, spiky plants near the front right papyrus? I used to grow something like that in my bathroom about 30 years ago in England, but kind of forgot what they were and where I got them. They survived well, even in low light.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 31, 2012
8:36 PM

Post #9261113

I think your pond is just beautiful...very striking!!

When I looked at the first pic I wondered why you'd want it so far in the corner, but by the 2nd pic I realized that you obviously had a fantastic idea and it's really a perfect location for you to enjoy. Having just discovered this thread allowed me to see not only the "before and after", but also how lush the plants look after several months growth.

Congrats! I hope it brings you many years of enjoyment!
estrail1rider
Melfa, VA
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #9301607

I think that is Cyperus involucratus. It is a beautiful plant. I have never seen so many tadpoles in my life!! The toads and frogs just kept laying all summer. After the fish grew somewhat bigger, they started eating most of them which was ok, too. One night my husband and I went out with a flashlight to see what kind of frog was making the croaking because there were so many of them. Standing on the porch we counted 12 Fowler's toadsjust in the open. Recently I have seen 2 Northern Green Frogs.
When I first started landscaping our new house, I put things closer together than plans I have seen called for. I didn't expect the plants to grow fast as we had moved across the state and I rather expected things here to grow like there. The temps aren't that different but the humidity is always higher here. I wanted to have the shrubs fill in before we got too old to enjoy them.
Now they are closer together than I would like to see them after only 2-3 years. They grew much faster than I expected!!! Oh well...they look great!
I still plan to do some things to the pond. Now that I see how some of the plants look while blooming...particularly the stonecrop...I am going to remove. They flop too much for my taste. The alpine geraniums are gone now. I am not sure if they died back, got too much sun (1/2 day full), or if my newly acquired, partial free ranging chickens helped them along. If they don't come back, I will replace those between the rocks.

TY all for the much appreciated compliments. Sometimes I think I should have been in landscaping or environmental biology. Of course when I was growing up, girls were still pretty much supposed to be teachers or nurses or secretaries even though that was in the 60's. Sure would have had a less stressful life than from becoming the teacher that I did. Then again, my mother kept telling me "little girls aren't supposed to have dirty fingernails". My wading through ponds and creeks, digging for salamanders, looking for frogs and fossils, or catching baby mice to keep, didn't help her idea of what was proper either! LOL!
scarletbean
Newport, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #9302261

Ooohh, I really love your little slice of serenity! I have wanted a pond for ages, but alas, we rent. Some day we will have our own land. Until then, I am considering a small water garden maybe with a half barrel to start.
Did your waterlilies bloom? You have a great eye for planning the finished look. I am no good at that. I seem to just see a plant i like and plunk it down. I have a certain look and feel I want, but am struggling with how to design it.
Sadly, our society still discourages girls from non-traditional roles. It is just a bit more subtle. Walk into any toy store and look at the difference between girl and boy toys. Women have come a long way, but we still have miles to go.

Go on, get your hands dirty!!!
smileymom343
Kenmore, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 11, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9302352

I'd love to see an updated photo.
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

October 17, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9308134

Me too, smileymom.
velveteena
Seattle, WA

October 23, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9313028

Bet your hubby stands there every day admiring his work! Nothing like a good joint project you both can enjoy and share. TY.
estrail1rider
Melfa, VA
(Zone 8a)

March 4, 2013
5:30 AM

Post #9438143

Hubby builds what I need and I do all of the planning and landscaping. We are good together!! Since we have moved here, I am now able to help with the digging,too. Sand is sooo much easier to dig up than shale!! LOL!
Yes, he very much admires what we have done, including all of the other landscaping I did. We built our house in an old soybean field so there were no trees or plants/shrubs. Now I am going to have to remove some. I landscaped using my knowledge of the growth rates of plants at our old house. That was a BIG mistake!! Everything grows so much faster and taken up the space allotted that I am truly amazed!!
At our old house, my water lilies bloomed maybe 1 or two blooms a year...sometimes none. I have had them quite a number of years. Last summer they bloomed almost all summer with several blooms at a time and I had even divided them and traded a few here and gave some to my daughter.

I planted the sunny backside of our garage totally with irises with a dwarf rape Myrtle at each end. Now, I don't like it. I had tried Bird's Nest Spruces, but they died. A nursery man then told meafter they died that they were very unhardy here as it is too hot. (I had bought them here but not from him). I am not sure yet what my design will be, nor what plants I will use. A few other things around the house I am not happy with and plan to dig them up and replace with something else.
Will try to get some pics later!
Thanks again!!

BTW...I wish people would show what they started with, what they did, and show their finished results. It helps others...including me...with ideas!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 4, 2013
8:49 AM

Post #9438351

Glad your hubby helps you...I have to force mine to help

Here's 1 of my projects, started with a dirt pile from dirt they took out while creating our stone driveway(or should I say trailer parking lot)

and here's it is last May

Thumbnail by flowAjen   Thumbnail by flowAjen   Thumbnail by flowAjen      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

estrail1rider
Melfa, VA
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2013
10:20 AM

Post #9465890

I wish there was a forum on here where people would show plan..which plants and where, show early after planting and then again after it has grown. It would help people get ideas for planning. Or even one where people just share diagrams of their plans and how it looks grown. I am now looking for ideas for the back of our garage. I planted some Bird's Nest Spruces with mainly irises and some edging perrenials but the spruce all died and yes they were watered regularly. A different nursery man told me it got too hot here for them...guess you know who gets my business now! So... back to my books, web pages, and torn out pages from magazines to get ideas and make a diagram.
Not sure how my pond garden will do this summer. Toooooo many Siberian irises so will need to remove some of those. Looking to see if everything is going to come out/grow after the field day my new chickens (new last summer) have had in there. So far, just the trailing raspberry looks raggedy. Will seeand try to remember to come back to this thread to post a new pic this summer.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 29, 2013
10:31 AM

Post #9465899

You can start a thread for people to do that

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 29, 2013
12:20 PM

Post #9465976

There is also a garden design forum
MountainBro
Lehi, UT

April 4, 2013
11:50 AM

Post #9471853

Awesome. I've always wanted to create a custom water feature. But it seems like a big project.
Ngineer
Bishan
Singapore

April 4, 2013
10:20 PM

Post #9472360

That was awesome...

You can also read and try this one to give you ideas on landscaping

http: //ee8bbfg9frf1dx94s2mnajpclz.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=7250LANSCAPINGIDEAS
Nana26
Kershaw, SC

April 15, 2013
8:50 AM

Post #9484793

Your pond is beautiful. I would love to have one but my yard is mostly granite rock. I guess I would have to go with a container water garden.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America