Photo by Melody

Japanese Maples: What kills established Japanese maples?

Communities > Forums > Japanese Maples
bookmark
Forum: Japanese MaplesReplies: 5, Views: 121
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dawnsharon2001
New York, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9125290

What kills a JM that had been in the same location for 40-odd years? This was a tall, broad, open tree with a red single palmate leaf resembling Bloodgood. Is there likely to be something in the soil that is bad for replacement trees?
(My thanks to the person who reminded me not to bury this in an existing thread.)
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 15, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9125383

Can you post some pictures or at least describe the symptoms?
dawnsharon2001
New York, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9125900

I apologize for not having a picture, but there wasn't any distinctive symptom (insect, fungus, leaf color change) I could see when I examined the tree. There were always (for decades) a few twigs each year that didn't leaf out; then one year it was whole branches; then in the next year or two the whole tree.
plantaholic186
Winnetka, IL

May 24, 2012
9:52 AM

Post #9136625

It sounds like your maple succumbed to Verticillium wilt, in which case you shouldn't plant another maple there. There are a number of plants that are particularly prone to verticillium, among them Maple, American Smoke Tree, and Redbud. A plant can seemingly die overnight or take years to show symptoms. I had a gorgeous 'Omurayama' that behaved much like your maple, and it proved to be Verticillium. Sometimes one can see the fungus in the wood (see pic below), although that's not a definitive sign. If you want to be sure, send a sample to your state extension center, and they will test it. Sometimes the plant can grow 'through' it, so there is a theory that a boost of nitrogen will help the tree.

It's a lot easier to plant a genus that is resistant to verticillium, such as dogwood, cornelian cherry, crab apple, seven son flower, and persian ironwood. A quick search on the web will bring up tons of links to lists of verticillium resistant plants.

Good luck, and sorry for your loss.

Thumbnail by plantaholic186
Click the image for an enlarged view.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9137387

Man that's awful to lose a plant like that, I hope you find another that you enjoy as much.
dawnsharon2001
New York, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2012
11:50 AM

Post #9141977

Thanks so much! I'll talk with my mom about possible replacements.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Japanese Maples Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Japanese maple Ginger_H 6 Sep 13, 2008 11:19 PM
Threadleaf Japanese Maple hczone6 6 Mar 1, 2010 1:36 AM
MY jm's that survived and thrived last winter zone 5b Davidsan 38 Feb 26, 2010 12:05 AM
Largosmom's Japanese Maples largosmom 62 Nov 22, 2007 8:55 PM
Can you tell me what kind this is? nikki_conway 23 Apr 17, 2008 1:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America