Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Soil and Composting: Help! Clematis in the compost heap

Communities > Forums > Soil and Composting
bookmark
Forum: Soil and CompostingReplies: 9, Views: 123
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BrrrAnn
Lunenburg, MA
(Zone 5b)

May 15, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9125374

hi - I had a clematis I inherited that had just about pooped out, so last fall I cut the branches and tossed them on my compost pile. Now I read that all parts of the clematis are poisonous! Does that mean my compost pile is contaminated? Do the poisons break down over time? I've already used some of the compost from that heap in my veggie garden. Are my veggies potentially lethal?

Help.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

May 16, 2012
4:24 AM

Post #9125620

I am no expert on poison but I had composted trimmings from clematises which i have tons of. some one are more knowledgeable.

Belle

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9126986

I didn't know clematis was poisonous! I'll have to dig out the one I have growing over my mail box.

Thanks for the heads-up!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 17, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9127685

I've heard that about clematis, only I will leave mine where they are as I don't plan on eating of them.And I doubt that many others ever thought the same about eating their clematis.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9129097

I would not worry.
Dilution plus breakdown in nature and soil chemistry.
Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9129367

[quote="sallyg"]I would not worry.
Dilution plus breakdown in nature and soil chemistry.[/quote]

Exactly, through decay the poison if they exist will just seep into the soil. No need to fret and I wouldn't worry about poisoning your veggies.
mjaorhyn
Saint Paul, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 23, 2012
11:20 AM

Post #9135235

This is from Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clematis

"Use and toxicity

The European species did not enter into the herbalists' pharmacopeia[7] In the American Old West the Western white clematis, Clematis ligusticifolia, was called pepper vine by early travelers and pioneers of the American Old West, who took a tip from Spanish colonials and used seeds and the acrid leaves of yerba de chivato as a pepper substitute.[8] The entire genus contains essential oils and compounds which are extremely irritating to the skin and mucous membranes. Unlike black pepper or Capsicum, however, the compounds in clematis cause internal bleeding of the digestive tract if ingested in large amounts. C. ligusticifolia is essentially toxic. When pruning them, it's a good idea to wear gloves. Despite its toxicity, Native Americans used very small amounts of clematis as an effective treatment for migraine headaches and nervous disorders. It was also used as an effective treatment of skin infections.[9] Clematis is also a constituent of Bach's Rescue Remedy."

Hope it helps. It seems to me it's the same as with any medicin/poison. It's all in the dosage.
BrrrAnn
Lunenburg, MA
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9135629

Thanks to all for your messages. I also emailed a clematis nursery, and they said that the "poison" is that clematis can be a skin irritant, and that it will break-down in a hot compost pile.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9170774

honeybee, just tell the mailman not to eat the Clematis. i hate to see you yank out a beautiful plant and they cover mailboxes across the country.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9171304

Some postmen don't like that flowers on the mailbox can attract bees. But it is a very pretty effect.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America