-
AuthorContent
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9126094

Mary, you asked for part 2 ...so here you go.

Hope to have more pic's of the garden/pond and all the lttle critters stopping by soon.

Part 1 link
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1195050/

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Click the image for an enlarged view.

2vernes
Blytheville, AR
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2012
11:28 AM

Post #9126101

Wow, love your pond. It's beautiful.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 16, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9126686

Thanks Bernadette. I really have to plant some more trees. Your pond is so cool and relaxing looking. Like in a jungle -- in a good way. lol. No snakes.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9127079

How's the frog population coming along?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 17, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9127080

It's so beautiful! What size pump do you have on it, and what kind of filter?

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2012
10:53 AM

Post #9132039

Oh my what a wonderful area you have with your pond... going now to look back at your history.

Jan

edited to make comments on the beginning.

I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed watching your new pond develop. Isn't is so gratifying to start and have a project turn out so incredible.

well done. Your place is beautiful, I bet your neighbours are really enjoying it as well as all the wildlife.

This message was edited May 21, 2012 2:46 PM

This message was edited May 21, 2012 2:46 PM
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 21, 2012
8:04 PM

Post #9175144

Meadowyck. The wildlife has been enjoying it to much. I have had two Koi stolen away by Herons and the deer were hopping the fence and eating everthing in sight. I have since had to install a make shift deer fence which I attached to the existing 4' chain link (ugly) fence that came with the place. 1" x 2's in 8 ft lengths were attached to existing post with zip ties. Then I ran galanized wire between poles in 1 ft intervals to 7 FT. Tied on shiny reflective tape . Looks pathetic but it has kept the deer out. Sadly I had to resort to the same fix in the front yard as they were eating all my "deer resistant" plants despite spraying deer repellant. I took my first trip into the pond yesterday for plant maintenance and rock scrubbing Water is looking pretty clear and two lilies bloomed today. Love this pond!
Note to self : Roll up the hose!

Thumbnail by BeaHive   Thumbnail by BeaHive   Thumbnail by BeaHive
Click an image for an enlarged view.

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

June 21, 2012
9:07 PM

Post #9175251

Looking beautiful, BeaHive. I'm so sorry about your koi. Are you going to put some mesh over the pond to protect them from further predation? Bummer about the deer being so destructive.
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 21, 2012
9:32 PM

Post #9175275

Yeah I am bummed about the koi also. I do have two statue herons that have kept the heron away in the past. I have relocated them to more visable locations near the pond edge and plan to keep moving them around to make it look that reside here. I hate to have to net it as it was netted all fall & winter long to keep all the Oak leaf debris out.(7 months) I made a sparkly reflective tape do-dad and tied it on a pole and stuck it in a flower pot in the pond also. The glitter of it blowing in the wind might scare the herons too! My home is a glitter palace now with all this refective tap flapping in the breeze. Not at all me, but a girl has to do what a girl has to do. My daughter told me to take it down. Well, since she is not a gardening person (hates bugs) she has no say in the matter. To much hard work has gone into these gardens and I hope to little by little remove the tapes and just leave the wire until fall. In fall the deer are welcome to come in and help me prune back all the plants! It will save me lots of pruning hours !! Twins were born this season in my neighbors yard. They are growing quickly and are so entertaining to watch, but I know in time their Mama will be teaching them how to jump the fence and try everything in sight.
The one deer in the pic is trying to get into my neighbors little nettled veggie patch. Ah..how quickly they learn where the "good stuff" is.

Thumbnail by BeaHive

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9175650

Oh BeaHive, I feel for you regarding the deer, after I started my front yard garden the deer made a new travel path between my house and the next door neighbor so that they could sample all my wonderful plants. I didn't have so much of a problem in the back cause the dogs were always out, so they keep away from the fence area, so the plants were ok there.

There is smaller neting that you could get for your pond for the summer, it really isn't that bad and it sure saves the fish.

I just love your pond and little building, you have made a very beautiful place.

Jan
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9175661

Bea,
Your pond is lovely and evident of a LOT of work. Only thing that might slow down the deer is an 8 foot deer fence. It is made with large spaces that their hoofs are not supposed to be able to climb on.
I have never seen so many deer in a heighborhood with houses so close. They must be friendly and don't have enough food source out in the woods. Seems we are always fighting nature and its a hard battle to win.
Good luck with saving your plants from the deer.
Bonnie
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2012
11:14 AM

Post #9175947

They like the neighborhood because some people feed them and even have placed salt licks & water tubs out for them. Many of the homes also have overgrown thickets on their property which make nice little dens for the Mommy deer and their young. My lot is just shy of 1/4 acre so the cost of a fence that high is cost prohibative at this time. Last kid finishing college March 13 and getting married in June 13. Yikes! Will it ever end! For now the rinky dink temp fence will need to work if I want to maintain a flower garden.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 22, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9175990

You're probably right! It's going to be cheaper to buy a replacement hosta or flat of flowers, from time to time, than to build a massive fence. Like Bonnie said, it would have to be a doozy of a fence to keep deer out...so enjoy the wedding instead! :)

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9176113

Bea

I know that deer (don't usually) don't like to jump a fence or hedge as they can't see what is on the other side and instinct says there might be an enemy on the other side like a wolf, so they usually (and usually is the optimal word here) jumb something they can't see through.

Are there any hedges that would grow the height of your fence? I know that would take away from the feel, but just a thought.

Jan
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9176325

I have been trying to add bushes, small trees and growing plants around the fence lines in back. Had to buy small size plants so I am not sure how many years until they fill in. I also have many different growing conditions to deal with. Dry Shade, wet shade and down right boggy. The pond takes up most of the direct sun area . Front is full sun (when the sun is shining anyway here in OR) I am sure I will come up with a plan one of these days. I did by a lottery ticket tonihgt. Maybe I will get lucky and just move, buy a few acres and be able to fence the whole thing!! LOL!

Speaking Of wolfs..there is a wolf decoy that I recently saw but it was made of cardboard which wouldn't last long with our soggy weather! Darn!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9176642

If neighbors are feeding them plus a salt lick theres your problem.
To me deer belong running free out in the wild.
Bonnie
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2012
9:02 PM

Post #9176711

I agree Bonnie. They are beautiful to witness so close up but they need to be living in one of our many many beautiful forests.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9177021

Yes deer in the forests, but as mankind keeps moving into their areas, then where are they to go. Years ago I moved from FL to KY married a wonderful man from there, we lived semi rual area once in a blue moon did we see dear, then moved to norther Ohio and saw deer everywhere including the drive through lanes... So it is a hard thing to balance, as when we as gardeners plants a buffet for them, they will come... as much as we hate it, the things they love eating are the things we love looking at... so how are we gardeners to win or in my book just come to a compromise?

Jan
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 23, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9177338

If they just came in and ate the weeds...I would be very happy with that. Slugs too are welcome to eat weeds...but they don't. Gardeners will ponder this forever!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9181051

Bea,
If its not a lot of trouble could you ask Jamison what the proper name is for the edging he used to hold the pavers in place for your walkways.
Bonnie
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9181091

Bonnie, I found a link to the type of edging he used on my pathways. Here is the link.
http://www.nitterhouse.com/masonry/products/paving_stones/interlocking_paving_stones/snap_edge_paver_restraint_system.php

Hope that helps!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9181582

Thanks much. I printed all out. There wasn't a dealer listed in Fl. but there are tones of paving co's here so I'm sure somebody knows about them. Once we get the pond finished I will start saving toward a walkway. Have used mulch for years and its just a repeatable pain.
Thanks again. Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

June 26, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9181719

We barely dodged the bullet on mulch. I was going to have a lot of lawn dug up and just lay down mulch. So glad I didn't. The lawn is recovering from construction and winter just fine and looks nice. You really hit the nail on the head with 'repeatable pain.' That about sums it up. Although I had not thought of the repeatable part, just didn't want to give up on the lawn.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 26, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #9181806

Bonnie, They have something similar at Lowe's. It's black in color and comes in a pack of 5 or 6foot sections. You snip the edge where you want it to bend.
shrubbs
Beavertown, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 3, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #9191378

Bea ... I read about losing your koi. Simply stated ... that stinks. I have an idea for you.

When our company builds ponds, we take a large flat rock (with character on top) and span it between the side stones. This creates a little cave at the bottom of the pond that the fish can hide in. The only fish we have ever lost at the office was from a mink during the early winter months. Otherwise, the fish are happy.

Pond looks great!
pondlove
Lewes, DE

July 3, 2012
12:07 PM

Post #9191484

For a very inexpensive fish cave, buy a stacking storage/recycling bin like the photo below. Use it in the pond for a plant stand. My fish love them.

Thumbnail by pondlove

BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 3, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9191589

pondlove..thanks for the info..but I do have a faux rock looking pond cave at the bottom of the pond. Great idea however for when they outgrow the rock one. The water lillies pads are filling out and the water lettuce & hyacinth shoud provide shelter from airborne the meanies for the rest of the summer. After that the pond is netted until spring.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America