What's for dinner? (Part 32)

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1254716/ and we'll happily set another place setting for anyone who wants to join in.

For those of us in the northern hemisphere, the calendar says summer is almost officially here and the thermometer isn't necessarily waiting patiently. Meals might be grilled or chilled (or fried, boiled, baked, or roasted.) But no matter how it's cooked or where it's served, it's supper. So what's cooking at your place?

Tonight was supposed to be a new (to me) recipe for slow cooker chicken breasts with lime and cilantro but I failed to get it started in time, so we're winging it - I will eat before I head out this evening, Mr. Official will probably eat when we get home. Swimmer Girl took her last AP test today, and works until 10 tonight; her summer vacation has officially begun.

Thumbnail by Terry
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks for the new thread Terry. We're in like mode.....I got home too late yesterday to get the garden tomatoes roasted for the pasta so will do that tonight instead - it's a work-from-home day. Last night I viewed the fridge and found plenty of eggs, some cheese, small red potatoes and broccoli.....it was all screaming FRITTATA. We love saying that word around here, it just comes off the tongue kinda fun-like.

Mary - who's easily entertained!!

Olympia, WA

LOL about Frittata - my fave food word is SPANAKOPITA - but it ISN'T as easy to make as Frittata!!!!!

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

And Spanakopita is sooo good too!

Thanks for the new thread Terry!

I tried yesterday's recipe of the day from Fine Cooking... Linguine with Roasted Asparagus and Almond Pesto. Was good but I wish i had more asparagus in it! We're months away from tomatoes and asparagus are still coming in. But not for too much longer. Strawberries will be my next garden crop... and I'm looking forward to that!

Tam

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Tam, I'm envious. I have maybe 3-4 berries on the strawberries I transplanted last summer. Maybe a few more tiny nubbins, too.

I haven't had decent tomatoes for 2 years, thanks to the Brown Marmorated Stink bugs... but this may be an answer:
http://www.americannettings.com/tomato-greenhouse/
Get the most from tomato plants with their own mini-greenhouses made from red, perforated plastic film. Allows air circulation and heat retention for faster growing tomatoes while protecting against rain split and pests. Tomato Greenhouse is sized to fit over tomato cages or attach to stakes. U.V. stabilizers added for longer life.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

We picked a handful of strawberries today. Many more to come. I'll let DH have them for dessert as he's been doing all the heavy work outside.

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

I had planned to make tortellinis with pesto sauce, but DS decided that he needed DGD home earlier to go boating with him and a friend, so I quickly made sausage with sliced asparagus and minced garlic over linguine, and lots of grated cheese. It was quick and very tasty. We still have lots of asparagus in the garden and although I freeze the excess it's still much better fresh, so we like to gorge on it in season. My Mara des bois strawberries are just beginning to ripen, and DH picked some broccoli raab the other morning for me to sauté with scrambled eggs. Tomato plants were just set out so it will be a while before we get any of those...

After dinner we went out for custard; even the dog had some.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I'll have to look up Spanakopita. All you folks with asparagus! arrrggh, I planted two beds but neither had nary a sprout. I'll try it again next year - with some modifications.

Darius - can you/have you blogged that info about the Tomato Greenhouse?

About those roasted tomaotes.....I scooped out the seeds and juice, leaving just the meaty part. Can I use that seed juice for anything? Puree it and add to Clamato for Bloody Mary's? Or is biting into a seed bitter?

Mary, it's upcoming... Friday, I think.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Okay, dinner tonight was microwave popcorn. Vow to self: the chicken is definitely going in the crock tomorrow - I don't care if it's eaten only by me, myself and I. And the dog.

Different discussion, but any tips or pointers for a first-timer making challah? Can't really say why I'm making it, but I have been tasked with making some in the next few days and I'm looking for a unique uhhh, "twist" on it. I was thinking about using a cornmeal dinner roll dough, although I'm not sure it's sturdy enough to hold up to the rigors of braiding. It's either that, or stuff it with a cinnamon-sugar mixture for a breakfast bread. But then I'd need to use butter and I'd prefer to stick with shortening (because I just can't do margarine in this kind of labor of love.)

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

We had dinner out tonight...went to grandson's T-ball game.

This afternoon I picked 8 pints of strawberries. Hope by the weekend there will more to pick. We have a small 4 foot by 8 foot patch...enough for fresh and also freeze some.

Columbus, OH

I would use butter in the challah, it's a rich bread, because whether or not it's pareve doesn't matter to me personally. When I cook for those who do care about the butter, I use an olive oil recipe. I would use a light oil, save that fancy EVOO for something in which the taste will be welcome.

Shawnee Mission, KS(Zone 6a)

If you are not looking to make traditional challah bread then you could do a form of braided povitica with a number of different fillings. Here is a local KC web site with some different fillings listed. http://www.povitica.com/

darius - Here is a similar article on growing tomatoes in containers. They use netting to keep most bugs out. http://www.finegardening.com/how-to/articles/growing-tomatoes-in-containers.aspx

Thanks Susan, I'll look into it.

Olympia, WA

Quote from MaryMcP :
I'll have to look up Spanakopita.
About those roasted tomaotes.....I scooped out the seeds and juice, leaving just the meaty part. Can I use that seed juice for anything? Puree it and add to Clamato for Bloody Mary's? Or is biting into a seed bitter?

Oh please DO use the juice and seeds in something, anything. I would never throw that away, and I have never noticed tomato seeds being bitter.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Oh, I agree, do not waste the juice and seeds.. I never waste part of the tomato, especially that part.. Main flavor..

Larkie

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

okay thanks girls.....

Clay Center, KS(Zone 5b)

Grilled chicken; Potato Gratin "Boome-style"; tomato, avocado, onion, lettuce salad; jalapeno slaw. Trip tomorrow to the Farmer's Market for additional veggies the remainder of the week.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

jalapeno slaw? Tell me more!

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Mixed field greens, strawberries, chicken, pecans blue cheese salad. Yup we went out.

Pizza! We had someone here painting the ceiling of DH's den, and then DS wanted to come over for dinner with toddler DGD, so I told him to pick up pizza. After dragging all the piles out of the den and then putting them all back when the guy was done, no way was I cooking dinner!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I used those seeds and juice in this chicken rub. It was awesome! Did not turn it into a salad, grilled up 3 chicken breasts so I'll have some for snacking on over the weekend.

Garlic and Basil Rubbed Grilled Chicken Salad

3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. kosher salt
½ C. fresh basil, chopped (no basil so I used fresh cilantro)
½ tsp. fresh-ground black pepper
half of a fresh habanero pepper (optional)
the juice from the seeded [mostly] black plum tomatoes, this had a little fresh basil in it, not much.
½ Tbs. olive oil (plus additional for grilling)
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, pounded to ½" thickness

Fresh salad greens
Fresh tomato wedges
Kalamata olives
Balsamic vinegar
Olive oil
Fresh ground pepper
Sea salt

Place garlic in mortar and mash with salt to form a paste. Add basil and black pepper and continue mashing until well combined. Add in just enough olive oil (about ½ Tbs.) to form a paste.

Combine basil paste with chicken in a ziplock bag and turn the bag several times to coat the chicken with the basil. Let rest for 5 minutes while you prepare the grill
Heat the grill to medium-high heat. Rub grill with olive oil.

Grill chicken, turning once, until cooked through (about 3-5 minutes per side). Slice into strips about ½" wide.

In a large salad bowl, combine greens, tomato, olives. Toss. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Toss again.

Top with sliced chicken and feta cheese. Salt and pepper to taste.

Recipe courtesy of www.sixhipchix.com

Clay Center, KS(Zone 5b)

Jalapeno & Red Pepper Cole Slaw
Yields: 6-8
Ingredients
1/4 cup cider vinegar plus extra for seasoning
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 large green cabbage (about 1 pound), cored and shredded fine (about 6 cups)
1/4 cup sugar plus extra for seasoning
Table salt
1/2 red bell pepper thinly sliced
1 - 2 seeded and minced jalapeño chiles
1 scallion thinly sliced (I used chopped Vidalia Onion)

Instructions
1. Combine 1/4 cup vinegar, oil, lime juice, and pepper in medium glass or metal bowl. Place bowl in freezer until vinegar mixture is well chilled, at least 15 minutes and up to 30 minutes.

2. While mixture chills, toss cabbage with ¼ cup sugar and 1 teaspoon salt in large microwave-safe bowl. Cover with large plate and microwave on high power for 1 minute. Stir briefly, re-cover, and continue to microwave on high power until cabbage is partially wilted and has reduced in volume by one-third, 30 to 60 seconds longer.

3. Transfer cabbage to salad spinner and spin cabbage until excess water is removed, 10 to 20 seconds. Remove bowl from freezer, add cabbage, red bell pepper, jalapeño, and scallion to cold vinegar mixture, and toss to combine. If desired, adjust flavor with sugar or vinegar. Season with salt to taste. Refrigerate until chilled, about 15 minutes. Toss again before serving.
May 1, 2011. From Cook's Illustrated.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh that does sound good!

Columbus, OH

That does look prett good, I'd probably have to get some cilantro in there, though.

Making veggie cold spring rolls tonight...rice noodles, cucumber, marinated tofu, shredded carrot, bean sprout, holy basil, cilantro, and red pepper in rice paper skins.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Strawberries from the garden for dessert! ahhhhhh

We got a call from friends who had picked up a mess of crabs and asked us over for a crab dinner. Very nice!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Sure wish I had a friend like that gg, although '....picking up a mess of crabs' would be a bit of a challenge here. :-|

Thanks for the recipe edens_, I'll try it.

She got the crabs, I got the sweet potato slips, since my local farm market had the kind we both wanted. We also get crabs off our dock later in the season. Yum!

LOL. I should never start reading at the end of a thread when I'm tired esp one where someone says some else has the crabs.

I'm tired. I spent yesterday morning and this morning going through an older flower bed redoing it. The remaining item in the bed from when I bought the house is a sedum that takes over everything. I spend too much time on upkeep so it's getting eradicated from the yard or that's the current plan.

Dinner is fish tacos. Proably with orange segments or sliced strawberries. I also have the makings for ratatouille. We'll see how ambious I am when dinner time rolls around.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Current plan for dinner is grilled burgers and jalapeno slaw. :-))

Missouri City, TX

Busy week - thanks for the new thread.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Grilled burgers and slaw sound inviting, Mary. Wish I was closer. Might crash your dinner table. :)

Our fish tacos happened a day late. I was too lazy to bread and fry so they ended up pan sauteed in garlic and olive oil after a pan of golden onions exited. Last night we had grilled beer brats with brown mustard and fermented kraut. I'm really into those Costco tortas for all kinds of dinners. I'm thinking of breaking tradition and using them with the Friday BBQ during DD's weekend. Did I mention that we have been unable to find a satisfactory arrangement for Friday and am now catering that as well? Will I know my daughter got married after catering three of the four days? lol Anywhoo, the brats had to be split to make the right fit on the tortas but that's okay 'cause the taste was super! In the seemingly weird sides realm, two zucchinis got sliced and sauteed in garlic and olive oil. They were buttery though none was added.

A hunk of pork from a whole shoulder slow cooked last week and was frozen. I made red beans yesterday to bring home for a quick burrito dinner. Now back in Atlanta, we have three early morning pick ups, over the next three days, for our food redistribution project. Dinner will be simple salads and leftover fish and pork.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Had dinner out at the Fish Market, a wonderful restaurant in Palo Alto that has wonderful fish. Wild caught local King Salmon. (The waitress said Alaskan). Perfectly grilled with grilled asparagus & steamed veggies. Split an apple cobbler w/ice cream with my sister. Very good too.

Tam

Dinner sounds both good and fun.

Dinner was a hamburger and a salad. Chicken to roast for dinner tomorrow night.

We smoked a pork shoulder over the weekend and had it plain Sunday night with the last of our sweet potatoes and fresh asparagus from the garden. Last night I cut some of the smoked pork up in cubes and blended it with the white sauce for macaroni and cheese. I always add a little mustard to ramp up the flavor, and put bread crumbs on the top before I bake it. We had a fresh garden salad along with that. Comfort food, and tasty.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

gg_what flavor of chips did you use to smoke the pork shoulder?

The burgers and slaw were great, thanks for that recipe edens_.....Laurel, pop on over anytime, there's always a cache of those burgers in the freezer.

The slaw didn't get made until last night because Sunday we were watching the eclipse. The first 2 pics show the crescent shaped sun shining through a mesquite tree onto the back of the house as the eclipse began.

Then DH standing with his back to the sunset holding a piece of cardboard with a hole cut in it to see the eclipse progress. The first hole he made was too big and didn't work so ignore that part, and then me holding the final shot, tiny crescent sun. Anyway, it was fun to watch.

Thumbnail by MaryMcP Thumbnail by MaryMcP Thumbnail by MaryMcP Thumbnail by MaryMcP
Missouri City, TX

Had fresh garden yellow tomatoes by the handful, so DW made her famous cucumber/onion/tomato salad.
I bought some extra thick pork steaks and stuffed them - browned both sides in the grill pan then baked for 35 minutes @ 350 F.
Served with glasses of Guiness.
Baklava from the Greek Festival for desert.

So good, we both nearly fell asleep watcing TV.

Cool pics, Mary!

Stuffed pork chops and baklava sound good, but I'd have to skip the Guiness, LOL.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.