Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Recipes: What's for dinner? (Part 32)

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 232, Views: 1,613
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2012
12:12 PM

Post #9126142

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1254716/ and we'll happily set another place setting for anyone who wants to join in.

For those of us in the northern hemisphere, the calendar says summer is almost officially here and the thermometer isn't necessarily waiting patiently. Meals might be grilled or chilled (or fried, boiled, baked, or roasted.) But no matter how it's cooked or where it's served, it's supper. So what's cooking at your place?

Tonight was supposed to be a new (to me) recipe for slow cooker chicken breasts with lime and cilantro but I failed to get it started in time, so we're winging it - I will eat before I head out this evening, Mr. Official will probably eat when we get home. Swimmer Girl took her last AP test today, and works until 10 tonight; her summer vacation has officially begun.

Thumbnail by Terry
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 16, 2012
12:39 PM

Post #9126170

Thanks for the new thread Terry. We're in like mode...I got home too late yesterday to get the garden tomatoes roasted for the pasta so will do that tonight instead - it's a work-from-home day. Last night I viewed the fridge and found plenty of eggs, some cheese, small red potatoes and broccoli...it was all screaming FRITTATA. We love saying that word around here, it just comes off the tongue kinda fun-like.

Mary - who's easily entertained!!
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

May 16, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9126201

LOL about Frittata - my fave food word is SPANAKOPITA - but it ISN'T as easy to make as Frittata!!!!!

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9126423

And Spanakopita is sooo good too!

Thanks for the new thread Terry!

I tried yesterday's recipe of the day from Fine Cooking... Linguine with Roasted Asparagus and Almond Pesto. Was good but I wish i had more asparagus in it! We're months away from tomatoes and asparagus are still coming in. But not for too much longer. Strawberries will be my next garden crop... and I'm looking forward to that!

Tam

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 16, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9126438

Tam, I'm envious. I have maybe 3-4 berries on the strawberries I transplanted last summer. Maybe a few more tiny nubbins, too.

I haven't had decent tomatoes for 2 years, thanks to the Brown Marmorated Stink bugs... but this may be an answer:
http://www.americannettings.com/tomato-greenhouse/
Get the most from tomato plants with their own mini-greenhouses made from red, perforated plastic film. Allows air circulation and heat retention for faster growing tomatoes while protecting against rain split and pests. Tomato Greenhouse is sized to fit over tomato cages or attach to stakes. U.V. stabilizers added for longer life.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 16, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9126452

We picked a handful of strawberries today. Many more to come. I'll let DH have them for dessert as he's been doing all the heavy work outside.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9126481

I had planned to make tortellinis with pesto sauce, but DS decided that he needed DGD home earlier to go boating with him and a friend, so I quickly made sausage with sliced asparagus and minced garlic over linguine, and lots of grated cheese. It was quick and very tasty. We still have lots of asparagus in the garden and although I freeze the excess it's still much better fresh, so we like to gorge on it in season. My Mara des bois strawberries are just beginning to ripen, and DH picked some broccoli raab the other morning for me to sauté with scrambled eggs. Tomato plants were just set out so it will be a while before we get any of those...

After dinner we went out for custard; even the dog had some.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 16, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9126523

I'll have to look up Spanakopita. All you folks with asparagus! arrrggh, I planted two beds but neither had nary a sprout. I'll try it again next year - with some modifications.

Darius - can you/have you blogged that info about the Tomato Greenhouse?

About those roasted tomaotes...I scooped out the seeds and juice, leaving just the meaty part. Can I use that seed juice for anything? Puree it and add to Clamato for Bloody Mary's? Or is biting into a seed bitter?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 16, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9126530

Mary, it's upcoming... Friday, I think.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9126653

Okay, dinner tonight was microwave popcorn. Vow to self: the chicken is definitely going in the crock tomorrow - I don't care if it's eaten only by me, myself and I. And the dog.

Different discussion, but any tips or pointers for a first-timer making challah? Can't really say why I'm making it, but I have been tasked with making some in the next few days and I'm looking for a unique uhhh, "twist" on it. I was thinking about using a cornmeal dinner roll dough, although I'm not sure it's sturdy enough to hold up to the rigors of braiding. It's either that, or stuff it with a cinnamon-sugar mixture for a breakfast bread. But then I'd need to use butter and I'd prefer to stick with shortening (because I just can't do margarine in this kind of labor of love.)
Debsroots
Northwest, MO
(Zone 5a)

May 16, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9126675

We had dinner out tonight...went to grandson's T-ball game.

This afternoon I picked 8 pints of strawberries. Hope by the weekend there will more to pick. We have a small 4 foot by 8 foot patch...enough for fresh and also freeze some.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

May 17, 2012
2:28 AM

Post #9126856

I would use butter in the challah, it's a rich bread, because whether or not it's pareve doesn't matter to me personally. When I cook for those who do care about the butter, I use an olive oil recipe. I would use a light oil, save that fancy EVOO for something in which the taste will be welcome.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 17, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9127065

If you are not looking to make traditional challah bread then you could do a form of braided povitica with a number of different fillings. Here is a local KC web site with some different fillings listed. http://www.povitica.com/
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 17, 2012
1:10 PM

Post #9127392

darius - Here is a similar article on growing tomatoes in containers. They use netting to keep most bugs out. http://www.finegardening.com/how-to/articles/growing-tomatoes-in-containers.aspx

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 17, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9127708

Thanks Susan, I'll look into it.
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

May 18, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9128357

MaryMcP wrote:I'll have to look up Spanakopita.
About those roasted tomaotes...I scooped out the seeds and juice, leaving just the meaty part. Can I use that seed juice for anything? Puree it and add to Clamato for Bloody Mary's? Or is biting into a seed bitter?

Oh please DO use the juice and seeds in something, anything. I would never throw that away, and I have never noticed tomato seeds being bitter.

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 18, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9128375

Oh, I agree, do not waste the juice and seeds.. I never waste part of the tomato, especially that part.. Main flavor..

Larkie
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 18, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9128400

okay thanks girls...
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 18, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9128968

Grilled chicken; Potato Gratin "Boome-style"; tomato, avocado, onion, lettuce salad; jalapeno slaw. Trip tomorrow to the Farmer's Market for additional veggies the remainder of the week.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 18, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9129063

jalapeno slaw? Tell me more!

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 18, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #9129085

Mixed field greens, strawberries, chicken, pecans blue cheese salad. Yup we went out.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2012
3:56 AM

Post #9129282

Pizza! We had someone here painting the ceiling of DH's den, and then DS wanted to come over for dinner with toddler DGD, so I told him to pick up pizza. After dragging all the piles out of the den and then putting them all back when the guy was done, no way was I cooking dinner!
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 19, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9129380

I used those seeds and juice in this chicken rub. It was awesome! Did not turn it into a salad, grilled up 3 chicken breasts so I'll have some for snacking on over the weekend.

Garlic and Basil Rubbed Grilled Chicken Salad

3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. kosher salt
½ C. fresh basil, chopped (no basil so I used fresh cilantro)
½ tsp. fresh-ground black pepper
half of a fresh habanero pepper (optional)
the juice from the seeded [mostly] black plum tomatoes, this had a little fresh basil in it, not much.
½ Tbs. olive oil (plus additional for grilling)
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, pounded to ½" thickness

Fresh salad greens
Fresh tomato wedges
Kalamata olives
Balsamic vinegar
Olive oil
Fresh ground pepper
Sea salt

Place garlic in mortar and mash with salt to form a paste. Add basil and black pepper and continue mashing until well combined. Add in just enough olive oil (about ½ Tbs.) to form a paste.

Combine basil paste with chicken in a ziplock bag and turn the bag several times to coat the chicken with the basil. Let rest for 5 minutes while you prepare the grill
Heat the grill to medium-high heat. Rub grill with olive oil.

Grill chicken, turning once, until cooked through (about 3-5 minutes per side). Slice into strips about ½" wide.

In a large salad bowl, combine greens, tomato, olives. Toss. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Toss again.

Top with sliced chicken and feta cheese. Salt and pepper to taste.

Recipe courtesy of http://www.sixhipchix.com
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 19, 2012
8:29 AM

Post #9129470

Jalapeno & Red Pepper Cole Slaw
Yields: 6-8
Ingredients
1/4 cup cider vinegar plus extra for seasoning
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 large green cabbage (about 1 pound), cored and shredded fine (about 6 cups)
1/4 cup sugar plus extra for seasoning
Table salt
1/2 red bell pepper thinly sliced
1 - 2 seeded and minced jalapeño chiles
1 scallion thinly sliced (I used chopped Vidalia Onion)

Instructions
1. Combine 1/4 cup vinegar, oil, lime juice, and pepper in medium glass or metal bowl. Place bowl in freezer until vinegar mixture is well chilled, at least 15 minutes and up to 30 minutes.

2. While mixture chills, toss cabbage with ¼ cup sugar and 1 teaspoon salt in large microwave-safe bowl. Cover with large plate and microwave on high power for 1 minute. Stir briefly, re-cover, and continue to microwave on high power until cabbage is partially wilted and has reduced in volume by one-third, 30 to 60 seconds longer.

3. Transfer cabbage to salad spinner and spin cabbage until excess water is removed, 10 to 20 seconds. Remove bowl from freezer, add cabbage, red bell pepper, jalapeño, and scallion to cold vinegar mixture, and toss to combine. If desired, adjust flavor with sugar or vinegar. Season with salt to taste. Refrigerate until chilled, about 15 minutes. Toss again before serving.
May 1, 2011. From Cook's Illustrated.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2012
10:18 AM

Post #9129548

Oh that does sound good!

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

May 19, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9129746

That does look prett good, I'd probably have to get some cilantro in there, though.

Making veggie cold spring rolls tonight...rice noodles, cucumber, marinated tofu, shredded carrot, bean sprout, holy basil, cilantro, and red pepper in rice paper skins.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9129978

Strawberries from the garden for dessert! ahhhhhh

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2012
3:59 AM

Post #9130226

We got a call from friends who had picked up a mess of crabs and asked us over for a crab dinner. Very nice!
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2012
4:31 AM

Post #9130236

Sure wish I had a friend like that gg, although '...picking up a mess of crabs' would be a bit of a challenge here. :-|

Thanks for the recipe edens_, I'll try it.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #9130721

She got the crabs, I got the sweet potato slips, since my local farm market had the kind we both wanted. We also get crabs off our dock later in the season. Yum!
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9130773

LOL. I should never start reading at the end of a thread when I'm tired esp one where someone says some else has the crabs.

I'm tired. I spent yesterday morning and this morning going through an older flower bed redoing it. The remaining item in the bed from when I bought the house is a sedum that takes over everything. I spend too much time on upkeep so it's getting eradicated from the yard or that's the current plan.

Dinner is fish tacos. Proably with orange segments or sliced strawberries. I also have the makings for ratatouille. We'll see how ambious I am when dinner time rolls around.

MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9130782

Current plan for dinner is grilled burgers and jalapeno slaw. :-))
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

May 20, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9130983

Busy week - thanks for the new thread.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9131049

Grilled burgers and slaw sound inviting, Mary. Wish I was closer. Might crash your dinner table. :)

Our fish tacos happened a day late. I was too lazy to bread and fry so they ended up pan sauteed in garlic and olive oil after a pan of golden onions exited. Last night we had grilled beer brats with brown mustard and fermented kraut. I'm really into those Costco tortas for all kinds of dinners. I'm thinking of breaking tradition and using them with the Friday BBQ during DD's weekend. Did I mention that we have been unable to find a satisfactory arrangement for Friday and am now catering that as well? Will I know my daughter got married after catering three of the four days? lol Anywhoo, the brats had to be split to make the right fit on the tortas but that's okay 'cause the taste was super! In the seemingly weird sides realm, two zucchinis got sliced and sauteed in garlic and olive oil. They were buttery though none was added.

A hunk of pork from a whole shoulder slow cooked last week and was frozen. I made red beans yesterday to bring home for a quick burrito dinner. Now back in Atlanta, we have three early morning pick ups, over the next three days, for our food redistribution project. Dinner will be simple salads and leftover fish and pork.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9132851

Had dinner out at the Fish Market, a wonderful restaurant in Palo Alto that has wonderful fish. Wild caught local King Salmon. (The waitress said Alaskan). Perfectly grilled with grilled asparagus & steamed veggies. Split an apple cobbler w/ice cream with my sister. Very good too.

Tam
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #9132869

Dinner sounds both good and fun.

Dinner was a hamburger and a salad. Chicken to roast for dinner tomorrow night.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2012
3:32 AM

Post #9133045

We smoked a pork shoulder over the weekend and had it plain Sunday night with the last of our sweet potatoes and fresh asparagus from the garden. Last night I cut some of the smoked pork up in cubes and blended it with the white sauce for macaroni and cheese. I always add a little mustard to ramp up the flavor, and put bread crumbs on the top before I bake it. We had a fresh garden salad along with that. Comfort food, and tasty.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 22, 2012
4:30 AM

Post #9133091

gg_what flavor of chips did you use to smoke the pork shoulder?

The burgers and slaw were great, thanks for that recipe edens_...Laurel, pop on over anytime, there's always a cache of those burgers in the freezer.

The slaw didn't get made until last night because Sunday we were watching the eclipse. The first 2 pics show the crescent shaped sun shining through a mesquite tree onto the back of the house as the eclipse began.

Then DH standing with his back to the sunset holding a piece of cardboard with a hole cut in it to see the eclipse progress. The first hole he made was too big and didn't work so ignore that part, and then me holding the final shot, tiny crescent sun. Anyway, it was fun to watch.

Thumbnail by MaryMcP   Thumbnail by MaryMcP   Thumbnail by MaryMcP   Thumbnail by MaryMcP
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

May 22, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9133254

Had fresh garden yellow tomatoes by the handful, so DW made her famous cucumber/onion/tomato salad.
I bought some extra thick pork steaks and stuffed them - browned both sides in the grill pan then baked for 35 minutes @ 350 F.
Served with glasses of Guiness.
Baklava from the Greek Festival for desert.

So good, we both nearly fell asleep watcing TV.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 22, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9133278

Cool pics, Mary!

Stuffed pork chops and baklava sound good, but I'd have to skip the Guiness, LOL.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9133303

This week, dinner is a lofty goal.

We kick off our summer long VBS on June 3 and I volunteer to coordinate it each year. Call me a glutton for punishment: the week or two beforehand is a whirlwind of proofing, printing and collating lessons, handing out notebooks to the volunteers and making sure six rooms get decked out for the summer. Currently I can peek over my monitor and see two large boxes filled with completed binders, and a half-dozen still sitting on a card table/assembly center, waiting for their finishing touches, which they'll get this evening. Another box of material is already in the backseat of my car, and with luck, everything will be handed out tomorrow night. After the rooms are ready, the pressure eases up immensely - I just deal with finding subs for unexpected absences and classrooms that need more of something made.

If I had time to cook this week, I think I might want to make brisket and mom's jalapeno slaw she mentioned above. But I'm going to be doing good to do a hit-and-run on the grocery store sometime today or tomorrow. if I'm lucky, I'll get middle son and swimmer girl to rustle us up some burgers for dinner. (Since last night''s dinner consisted of a paltry junior cheeseburger I grabbed on my way home around 8:30 and washed it down with a diet cherry limeade.) Like I said, glutton for punishment...

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9133348

Mary McP, we started off with hickory but I suggested we add apple, and DH really liked the way it smelled so he continued with that, and finished up with a little fig. I think we would have had to brine it longer than I did (about 24 hours) and smoke it slower and longer to get the smoke all the way through, but it was still excellent. It was an almost 9-lb roast, and I wanted some to freeze and some to use for making soup.

Has anyone actually made smoked ham using a smoker and fresh pork? That's what I was after but I couldn't find a recipe online.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2012
9:16 AM

Post #9133465

Tam, were you at Zuck's and Cilla's wedding? Wouldn't Facebook shares as a party favor have been cool. That's what I would have done if I was their wedding planner. lol

Can't stand reading these posts. Does spring bring out everyone's best inner chef? Dinners are getting progressively more inviting while I am experiencing extreme kitchen lameness. When I'm done at Mary's I'm going to sidle on over to Bubba's (and I'll share the Guiness too, Bubba). Keeping RU, wedding and garden plans under control has us hopping. We grilled a petite fillet, portobellos and corn for dinner with a hearty salad last night. Tonight we're having a doctored store bought veggie pizza with leftover salad.

Mary, those pics are great. Thanks for posting them.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2012
12:08 PM

Post #9133685

I'm in need of a substitue cook. More cleaning out of the garden tomorrow. I'm trying to catch up on being behind after the car accident two years ago. It's the amount of unwanted growing that can happen in that time to the yard.

No smoking experience here.

I'm trying a lavendar and honey roasted chicken tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #9133911

We smoke several hams and butts each year, Leslie. I much prefer butts. I use herbs and spices to preference for a dry rub and SO uses packets of hickory chips from the occasional tree that goes down at Maypop. We have also used apple, pear and grape vine wood. He chops the chips with an ax and soaks them in a dish of water for several hours. Then he makes two or three flat foil packets filled with the wet chips and pokes small holes in the packets before laying them in the smoker. He cooks them at 220-250. We never have to add chips and I asked him to cut down on the smoke 'cause it was too strong. Maybe it's because we have a gas smoker so we don't have to tend ours like some of the charcoal or electric ones. I think keeping the dome closed is what makes the flavor so smokey. We also have a smoking feature on the Viking grill but it is so huge it's hardly ever worth using unless there's a big crowd. We will be smoking briskets and chickens for the BBQ night of DD's party.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 22, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9134001

I need to learn to smoke hams/butts, so far I've just done hocks and bacon.

Supper was a blue cheese burger, and some butternut squash. I only have a few butternuts left from last fall and they are waning fast! Oh, and a green salad, nude except for a dressing.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9134094

Chicken turned out very well.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

May 22, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9134141

Roasted vegetable quesadillas. One of my superduper favorites.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9134320

I finished up my project in good time, so dinner was pork chops seasoned at the meat counter, a homemade pasta salad and some baked beans (not from scratch :-) Ran the grill out of gas, so finished the pork chops on the stove. At least when we swap out the tank, we know we got all the good out of it.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9134355

We've ruined meat by running the tank too low on our portable grill. It gets a bad taste and smell... like the odorant that's added to make you know if gas is leaking. Great that you were able to salvage the main course. I eventually insisted that a gas gauge was added to the grill tank.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9134364

Nah, I heard it hiccup and knew it was nearly out so I pulled them off then.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9134397

I think you mean "toot". It is, after all, gas.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2012
7:35 PM

Post #9134401

As long as it's not ka-pow. :-)
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9134418

Definitely! lol

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9134482

Mary - great shots of the eclipse! I was in the air on a plane and missed it.

I'm having a Trader Joe's week. I got a Bibimbab bowl for dinner tonight. Have a paneer w/spinach something for tomorrow. :-)

Laurel - that would have been a great party favor! But darned I missed their nuptuals so can't say if they thought of that.

Tam
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2012
5:16 AM

Post #9134714

How does Facebook shares as a party favor work?

Dinner is left over lavendar honey chicken salad. Should be more greens ready to pick in the garden. BTW - The rabe we planted is bitter and tough. Anyone know why that would be?
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #9134718

BTW - Clever picking up something from Trader Joe's for meals. I'm not sure I would have thought about that. They do have a lot of preped foods and fresh produce that would make it easy to throw together a meal.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9135539

Laurel, thanks for the information on smoking pork. You don't brine it first? And what you do is enough to make it taste rather like smoked ham?

If the raab is bitter and tough it sounds as though it wasn't harvested early enough. I can never get a mess of raab at the proper degree of maturity at the same time so I can cook it up; I always wonder what I'm doing wrong.

Tonight we're doing a reprise of sausages with asparagus sections and asparagus sauce, with garlic and grated cheese, over linguine.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9135575

Susan, well I was thinking Mark Zuckerberg could have given them out at his wedding. He might have a couple extra.

Tam, how's the bibimbab? We pick up lots of TJs prepared foods and I wonder about some like "crabless cakes" or "chickenless cutlets". I also wonder about the Whole Foods "chili with beans" dish. If you read the label there is no meat in it. So, if you removed the beans from the chili, what would you have? Chili powder with some cheese on top?

Leslie, SO has Meniere's and salt is def a trigger so I never brine anything we eat. Only for catering. As for smokey flavor, I have asked him to cut back. He loves it when the meat looks like it was excavated from the Le Brea tar pits because that means he's the Q king but it was way too strong tasting. He thinks whatever goes in the smoker should come out like burnt ends. It's a guy thing (sorry Bubba). I prefer butts because the meat is more tender and less dense than ham and, though there is more fat in butts, it melts away. The hams end up being a lot of poundage in bones though the smoked bones and scrap meat are great for other dishes. If you don't brine a raw ham and are going to hold it up to a salt cured raw ham that has not been smoked it will taste more mild. But when we smoke salt cured hams we soak them in multiple changes of water for at least half a day and they still taste saltier than we'd care for. That's another reason I prefer butts.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9135893

Moo Shu pork here... first time in 3-4 years I've had Chinese take-out. Pretty tasty but not enough wraps for the amount of the dish.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9135949

That's what I think is that it's old. I waited to pick it until the heads were developed. Maybe that was too long.

Okay. I've got what you mean. Shares as in stock and not shares as in sharing someone else's photo.

Dinner was very good. Also had some of the left over corn bread.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9135958

bibimbab was pretty good - way more rice than other stuff for my taste. I had TJ Palak Paneer tonight. Was good. Had 1/2 of a little watermelon for dessert.

Its nice just to have real plates & utensils even if I'm not actually cooking.

Tam

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

May 23, 2012
8:04 PM

Post #9136004

That is why I make my own bibimbap, plus I can have extra gochujang and brown rice instead of white ;) On the other hand, it's good to not have to cook sometimes.

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 23, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #9136051

I had the last of my spinach, a fresh picked tomato, jalapeno & cheese, salt, pepper & mayo all on good whole grain bread.. Toasted to perfection..Will for sure miss the spinach, but it is done til cooler weather..Usually don't get to have it this late.

Larkie

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2012
3:55 AM

Post #9136224

Thanks again, Laurel; I'm saving those comments about smoking to share with DH. We have a Big Green Egg and use that for grilling, smoking and baking.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9137216

I just read up on what bibimbap is. Sounds interesting. Any favorite recipe that you use to make it?

Sandwich sounds nice.

Dinner was chicken gyros tzatziki sauce, mango & mint, and a parsley, tomato, & cucumber salad

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9137343

Dinner was chick fil a on our way to Oklahoma. With luck we will hit little rock by midnight

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9137443

Last night of TJ frozen dinners. Tonight was eggplant curry. I'm on a plane for home tomorrow. Yeah!

Tam
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2012
4:57 AM

Post #9137729

Both of you have a good trip!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9137930

And a wonderful holiday weekend to all! We are spending the day in the garden (coming in for a late breakfast now) and grilled chicken salad tonight.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 25, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9138010

It's already too hot to work in the garden (full sun) until later this evening. However, I'm off to fetch another 3 cu. yard load of wood chips.

I haven't used my BBQ grill in about 2 years, but I have some ribs in the freezer that I may defrost. I'll probably have to go get another bag of Cowboy charcoal. I love the real stuff, detest the taste of briquettes.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #9138341

Have a great holiday weekend! Too much rain here this morning to be out in the garden. So day off. I'm trying to figure out if I can get a Espaliered fruit tree in the yard some place where it will provide additional screening and also grow well.

Dinner is left over gyros chicken & parsley salad on a bed of greens from the garden. May make baked pita chips to go on top.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2012
1:56 PM

Post #9138413

Just picked the first peas of the season. Looks like the best year we've had for peas. I'll have to figure out why.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9138430

Early spring maybe? Peas got a head start on the pests?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 25, 2012
2:16 PM

Post #9138452

I'm having leftover mu shu pork with hoisin sauce.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9138499

Our peas are just starting to pod out, and I planted them before St. Patty's Day. Go figure!

Last night we had lobster; there was a sale on it at the supermarket. I made a pasta salad with bits of salami and anchovies and kalamata olives and roasted red peppers and cucumbers to go with it. The lobster was a real treat! Tonight we're going to finish up the pasta salad with some broiled lamb chops.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9138627

We made it to south-central Oklahoma safe and sound. And I'm back on a laptop instead of an iPad so I can more easily apply proper punctuation and capitalization :-)
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9138646

It maybe the early spring. It could also be that we got them in the ground on time instead of late. We'll have to look at the records to what the dates were.

Used part of the snap peas in a salad for dinner tonight. Snap peas cut on a diagonal then toss with verjus, olive oil, and pepper. On the list to make again soon. Simple to make and tastes good.

Leftover mu shu pork with hoisin sauce sounds very good also.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 26, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9139310

You peeps with the peas are making me envious. Love them but the 2 or 3 plants I had didn't do much...could it be I forgot to water? Ugh! Poor babies.

Not completely sure what's for dinner tonight but it should have fresh basil, fresh tomatoes, a pumpernickle bread recipe and mozzarella. Which brings a question: folks here often talk about 'fresh' mozz and how great it is...can I get fresh mozz in the grocery store? I've seen packages that say fresh mozz but is it really? Is there a secret? Thanks.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 26, 2012
10:21 AM

Post #9139373

I saw a recipe for making "basil caviar", which is basically using the technique for making spheres. I haven't been inclined to try that, forget even what it's called, but the small basil spheres make an interesting topping.

I don't even bother with planting peas of any kind. I DO like the pea pods and sugar snaps, just never think to plant any.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 26, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9139654

Wild caught Alaskan salmon w/ green beans from the freezer. Pretty soon we'll finish up last year's crop.

Tam
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9139685

Goat cheese, sun dried tomatoes and speck topped pizza. Left over salad.

The garden is finally looking authentic.

Mary, fresh mozzarella comes in an oval or round form and is not low moisture. It is softer and creamier. It will not store much longer than a week. There are differences between brands as to quality. Most American mozz is cows milk (very good) but buffolo mozz is traditional and available. If you ever get a chance try some with your fresh tomatoes and basil.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 26, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9139694

Thanks Laurel, I'll look for some good mozz at an upscale market. I've got the toms and the basil.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 26, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9139777

My favorite small local supermarket had a special today, two 1 1/2 lb. lobsters for $25, the exact amount of a gift certificate we got for Xmas, They were tasty and I made fried rice from a four rice mixture from Costco that I cooked with chicken stock, with carrots, peas, onions and garlic Made a salad with spinach, penne, toasted pine nuts and shaved parmesan. 'twas good.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9139791

I thought someone on the thread was making their own mozza and said it was easy. Another choice to keep in mind if you can't find it in the market.

Dinner was out. We went to a place called Cafe Gratitude which serves mostly vegan, raw or microbiotic foods. We had sprouted almond humus with raw crackers; a BLT sandwich on bun with spicy cashew aioli, crispy chipotle-maple coconut (the "bacon"), romaine lettuce, tomato and avocado; and a salad with greens, figs, apples, mint, and basil;. We brought home a strawberry "cheesecake" (no dairy) made with almonds, irish moss(???) and some other things that escape my memory. The couple next to us gave it rave reviews.

Any idea what the irish moss is? The waitress said that it is more an aquatic plant and gets used in the foods by the food industry but is called another name.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9139796

M5 - Looks like I typed too long and missed your post. Nice snag on the lobsters. Rest of dinner sounds good also.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9139832

Susan, it's chodrus crispus.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 26, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9139841

Laurel - you never cease to amaze me.

I made mozzarella . it was easy. I'll definitely be making it when my tomatoes come in... but that's gonna be a while. I did get a good quart of strawberries out of the garden today though. :-).

Tam
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9139853

LOL. I'm tapping on my little phone. Meant chondrus. I think that's the spelling. Most of us know carageen, yes? It's added to stabilize certain foods in a gelatinous form. It's used in a lot of Chinese Buddhist food preparations.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2012
3:58 AM

Post #9140120

ShopRite sometimes has lobsters for $5.99/lb, so that's what we got. I couldn't figure out what the bottom line was from the receipt because they took a dollar per pound off at the cash register and it wasn't clear what the final cost was. But if they were a pound and a half, which they weren't quite, it would have been $17.97 - not bad for two lobster dinners! We used a mixture of butter and olive oil as the dipping sauce, and somehow the olive oil addition made them taste even sweeter than usual.

Last night we had leftovers...
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2012
5:10 AM

Post #9140150

Laural - Thank you. I thought you might know what it is.

Tam - Strawberries sound wonderful. The ones we've been getting from the store have been really good.

GG - Interesting about the olive oil making the flavor sweeter.

Got a pint of tart cherries from the farmer's market. Not sure what we will be doing with them but they will be going fast.

BTW - The strawberry Cheesecake was only okay. Needed a stronger strawberry flavor or something.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

May 27, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9140169

I had leftovers from the Ohio River Valley Gardening forum roundup. lol
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9140836

What did you get?

Dinner was ham and butternut squash pasta with loose head broccoli and snap peas.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9140911

We had our traditional burgers with friends. I toasted sliced french bread w/olive oil & garlic & served them with a goat cheese w/cranberry & pecans. (From the farmers market). We had a big salad with romaine & spinach from the farmers market, roasted asparagus tossed in a lemon vinegrette w/fresh herbs. And grass fed beef burgers, cooked perfectly (for a change. I usually cook them w/in an inch of their life when I bbq.) Dessert was a strawberry trifle - made with copious amounts of strawberries from my garden & supplemented with the farmers' down the road. Everything turned out wonderfully and the company was delightful.

Tam

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

May 27, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9140955

Dreamfield pasta with pesto and diced tomato, and broccoli. Nothin' fancy.

I bought a 1953 BHG New (!) Cookbook at a tag sale today. There are plentiful uses for jello, condensed canned soup, and processed American cheese. My personal favorite is spam "crown roast". Slice the spam into wedges, mostly through the meat, and put half-slices of canned pineapple between the slices. Place in a pan with some canned sweet potatoes, butter, and orange marmalade. Bake until it makes a delicious glaze. Holy rollerskating crap! It would only be better with a picture.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9140976

Eeeerk...my ex DGDIL just did a pot luck with friends and they did all fifties recipes, jello molds chicken in aspic, ugh, it was hideous. I just bought an old fifties Betty Crocker cookbook, to replace the one I gave my DD. I still use some of the recipes, like eclairs, and some of the pies.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9141011

Lobsters sound wonderful as do tart cherries. I always think of German-style tarts with sour cherries and kirsch. Often the pits are left in like with clafoutis.

What is Dreamfield pasta? I collect old cookbooks. None of those recipes are going on my "to do" list anytime soon though.

What is butternut squash pasta?

Spam crown roast huh? Gotta give points for creativity. We do retro-themed dinner parties and they are lots of fun. My parents used to do these "Maui luau" a la Trader Vics and dig up the beach to make a pit. There were cocktails with cherries and umbrellas. The guests wore leis and acted ridiculous. Some even eventually fell in the lake or the pool. I'd be sent across the street to sleep over a friend's house and we would sneak back into the bushes at my house to watch. Very Goodbye Columbus. LOL

We are having chicken that's spent the day swimming in raspberry sauce and jerk with carrots, green onions and garden snow peas. The sauce is a leftover from a visiting friend and the jerk is from last year's garden fodder. There's jasmine rice. I see the time...we do eat late but just came in from the garden a short while ago.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9141039

Inquiring minds want to know so I went looking for a picture of a spam crown roast. I figure someone had to have posted it. Here it is: http://beasblabber.blogspot.com/2010/10/no-spam-maam.html

Equally interesting is the Crown Roast of Frankfurters. http://people.tribe.net/60inchtornado/photos/52a0dc33-b9f7-46ae-ab3c-5d69ffccc989

Laural - If I was only able to drink alcohol it would proably be something like Kirsch. Usually the tart cherries make it as far as the stove with a only a light touch of sugar and tapioca. Dh has to hurry if he wants any. However since you brought up the topic I may have to google to see if anything strikes my fancy before heading to the stove. Pasta is ravioli filled with squash and was purchased but still very good. Cooked it and tossed it in with carmalized onions, snap peas, and broccoli.

I don't recall my family serving anything aspic. Jello with extras showed up periodically.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9141104

Celene, that sounds DREADFUL! I didn't even look at the links Susan posted of Spam crown roast, nor Frankfurter Crown Roast...

Laurel, on the theme of "Maui luau" (well, kinda/sorta)... I used to host a February Beach Party in the heights of our Appalachian Winters. We moved out all the LR furniture, cranked up the heat, and spread beach towels. No matter what winter gear the guests actually wore to the event, they had to change into beach clothing once there. We had a real beach BBQ picnic! Of course, most of us got drunk as skunks but it was great fun.
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9141173

Laurel: Dreamfield pasta http://www.dreamfieldsfoods.com (I use it because of it's lower carbs)

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

May 27, 2012
8:50 PM

Post #9141212

Susan, you have made my day complete! I feel oddly compelled to make a tofu standing rib roast now.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 28, 2012
4:25 AM

Post #9141368

Glad to be of help in making your day complete. :-)

It's hard to believe but the hot dog crown roast is an old weight watchers recipe. BTW - You could do a tofu theme of crown roasts ie both tofu dogs and tofu block.

The luau sound like a fun idea and time.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9141495

I guess I'm kinda glad my mom wasn't much for cooking. We had that Betty Crocker cookbook but I think only used it for desserts. :-)

We're probably going to coast on left overs for a while.

Tam

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9141530

Today's soire'e will have BBQ'd ribs, fruit salad, french bread with green onions and garlic/artichoke/parmesan/mozzarella cheeses/sour cream,baked to melty yummyness, potato salad, mango salsa, brownies and pound cake layered with pudding and whipped cream. Definitely not on any weight watchers plan. I'mnot preparing all of it, everyone brings something. Weather doesn't look like it will cooperate, some fierce T storms in the offing but hoping they will swoop in later rather than early.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 28, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9142293

M5 - Dinner sounds like it was good. Hope the weather cooperated.

Dinner tonight was a bit strange as I've got a slight upset stomach. Chicken soup, ginger brew soda, and popcorn. Go figure that one but it's what seem to settle it out. I figure maybe too much heat with it being so hot today.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 28, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9142333

ooooo, '...fierce thunderstorms...' I just love weather. Probably because Phoenix is so lacking in any.

Sorry you're not feeling well Susan, heat and humidity sure can do it. Warm ginger tea too maybe.

Not sure exactly what's for dinner but it will have salsa as a component. Finally got the time to chop all those tomatoes I've been harvesting : black plums; stupice; black cherry mostly and a few san marzano's that the birds pecked a corner out of. A couple of home grown red sweet onions too, garden garlic went in the no-knead bread dough that's rising. Doncha just love using your garden gifts to feed the family? Ah, sweet.

tofu standing rib roast...*that's* funny.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9142348

Cookiing *might* resume tomorrow in my house. Notice I said might. Depends on how my day goes. By mid-week for sure. But I've eaten well this weekend, thanks for some Oklahoma friends hosting us and my parents for the weekend. Good to be back on TN soil...should be home before my coach turns into a pumpkin.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9142362

Weather held off until just now, we got home about 30 minutes ago, and now it's blowing like a hurricane and pouring rain like a waterfall!! Hope my DD got her DS and the boys home before it hit. Probably, she only had to go about a third of the disance we did. Everything tasted great, and there will be NO dinner tonight. Maybe a little dessert later.

w

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9142402

I got a big basket of "jam" strawberries & a couple quarts of firsts from a farm stand in Lancaster county. Oh so good! I've got them frozen & vacuum sealed or on a cookie sheet in the freezer for later bagging & sealing. Will be enjoying them in my smoothies. I need to pick up some more while they are in season.

Tam
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 29, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9143588

Dinner is lettuce wraps with mango and sweet & sour chicken.

First short carrots out of the garden this weekend. Takes a lot to make something but they are at least growing in the soil.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9143848

Power is out here. Trying to talk DH into dinner out rather than cooking on gas stove with no water and electric

Tam
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 29, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9143869

Dinner out sounds like a better idea that cooking with no power.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #9143887

The worst of it is not being able to wash up afterwards!
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 29, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9143959

Yep...dinner out, or pizza in. I agree about the washing up up being the worst part of it. Ugh!

Tonight is chicken enchiladas and chips so I can get a good taste of the salsa I made the other day with garden toms, garden onions, and garden garlic...garden garden garden. yum yum. And I'm going to try grilling some baby bok choy and raddichio, which I think I saw on here once. Was looking for some romaine but settled on these two instead. Hopefully, I know what I'm doing...duh!

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9144024

No one delivers out here so we did go out. Yep. Just hate the mess to clean when the power does come back

Here's some irony - we ordered a full house generator after the week without power in Oct. 6mo later... It finally came and we just picked it up today. We left it on the truck cause it was pouring. If no power we will carry it over and get it set up in the morning.

Tam

MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 29, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9144065

That's funny Tam...the vicissitudes of life!!
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 30, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9144778

Isn't that the way it works. New generator on the truck and no power. Irony in all that.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #9144911

Being in a rural area, we bought a good sized generator when we built, eleven years ago. Have not used it. Ever.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 30, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #9144946

Wish I could say the same thing. We are in suburbia and the power goes down at least once a year for a least a full day. Generally the reasoning given is that we are at the end (or near end) of the power line that runs overhead through a lot of trees. Longest time out of power has been a combination of 5 days out, 2 days up, and then another 2.5 days down in January. I think we were down a total of 6 times that year. The generator has been used a lot since we bought it. Although maybe only once this last winter.

Dinner is left over S&S chicken on salad or in a tortilla.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9145430

We put in the transwitch 12+ yrs ago and never used it. Power went out so many times last year we decided to get a good generator.

I swear they serve 3x what a person should eat at some (many?) restaurants. I brought home what I didn't eat last night & had half of that for dinner tonight. (Just a pasta dish).

Tam
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 30, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9145459

Yes. Enough for three meals. We do have some restaurants that are serving mini bites. Those are much smaller.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9145469

Tammy, what's a transwitch? We got a generator several years ago and have blessed it when the power went out, but it runs off propane so there's a limit to how long it will go, unfortunately. We looked into solar but found that it wouldn't take over in a power outage, so what's the point. I liked the idea of having some independence from the power company but if it's only good when the grid is up it seemed not to be worth the outlay, and subsequently the financial incentives have dropped considerably so we're glad we didn't commit ourselves.

We had hamburgers and a pasta salad for dinner; nice summer meal. I need to make some shortcake to go with our strawberries, which are coming in fast now.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9145475

The place we went last night was selected in part for it's ultra casual style. DH couldn't take shower with the power off. They have some good main courses and fab desserts. I was just too full for the latter. I know - poor planning. Shoulda had dessert first. ;-)

Tam

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #9145488

A trans switch shuts off the connect to the power grid and instead connects a subset of circuits to the generator ( so you don't overload it with the full house demand). And yeah we have solar but it is no help. You need a battery backup and that is pricey. We got a gasoline generator. Thought about natural gas but we decided we could get a conversion kit later if we wanted it still. Ours runs a little over 6 hrs on a tank of gas at typical load.

Tam
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 30, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9145511

Tam - Did you get an auto or manual start generator and transfer switch?

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2012
3:58 AM

Post #9145755

We have a transfer switch on our generator, and couldn't figure out why the same thing wouldn't work with a solar setup. Probably a state-by-state kind of regulation. I think ours would run a few days but propane is expensive! Still, it's so nice to be able to flush the toilet when the power is off! The lack of water is what we missed most, since we mostly heat with wood and have a propane gas stove.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9146717

Youngest child spent yesterday afternoon dazzling us with his mechanical expertise while showing off the VW Jetta he bought for bupkis and spiffed up. Wow were we impressed! He was our one pound, fifteen and a half week early, baby born away from home and who spent almost four months in ICUs. He was supposed to be our "forever child". Never mind that he can't write in cursive or tie his shoes very well. He can play the piano and violin nicely. :) We ohhed and ahhed over what a great job he did on the car and then celebrated with pulled pork and corn and bean filled burritos. They were topped with melted cheddar and Greek yogurt.

We are having super salads almost every other night. We'll probably do that tonight. It's taken years for SO to appreciate salad as a dinner but if I stack enough stuff on the greens he's negotiable. I started with lots of meat, cheese and bread added and have gradually weaned him down. We still have the kitchen sink going on there but the salad pyramid has definitely shifted to the greener side.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9146818

Sounds like a great meal for a warm night, and congratulations on your son's blossoming! It must be so gratifying to see how well he's doing.

We had a workman here all day to do odds and ends - he planed down the front door so it opens and closes easily, replaced the drain in the tub since the old one stopped working, and repaired the double hung window in the kitchen because the cord broke. All of those things took considerably longer (and therefore cost more!) than any of us had expected, so DH and I decided to give ourselves a break and go out for dinner. We went to our favorite Tex Mex place, and they had softshell crabs on the menu so we both ordered them. They were NOT good. They were too moist and smelled fishy. I tried to eat mine but couldn't, so DH got them. The last time I couldn't eat a meal I ordered was andouillettes in Paris. This wasn't as bad, but it sure wasn't good, either. How disappointing! I'll probably reheat the leftover crabs in the oven tomorrow, which hopefully will dry them out and crispen them. DH can have them; I'll have the leftover hamburger that's in the refrigerator.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 31, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9146834

Laurel, I echo Leslie's "congratulations on your son's blossoming!"

I finally used some of my homemade rhubarb BBQ sauce on some ribs tonight. I made 3 batches, 2 with store-bought sauces and 1 with the rhubarb sauce. It was hands-down the best but just a tad on the sweet side. I just made notes on my recipe to adjust the sweetness because I'll forget otherwise!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9146846

We still have plenty of rhubarb in the garden, although the stalks are green rather than pink. What's your BBQ sauce recipe, Darius?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 1, 2012
4:54 AM

Post #9147275

Leslie, I found it here:
Rhubarb Barbecue Sauce
http://localkitchenblog.com/2009/05/21/rhubarb-barbecue-sauce/

I used bottled hot sauce instead of the habanero, to taste. Next time I'll reduce the sugar and honey, although it didn't taste overly sweet until after the ribs were cooked.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

June 1, 2012
5:08 AM

Post #9147291

I am getting ready to try that sauce over the weekend, good to know it was too sweet, I'll make the adjustments. :) Thanks!

Making Turkish grilled chicken thighs, saffron rice, and cucumber/tomato salad with mint. I've been looking locally for wheat bran to make "branana" muffins, it is strangely absent from stores now
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9147426

Thanks, Leslie and Darius. He is indeed a miracle baby! He didn't make it on to a growth chart until he was five, was in the lower ten percent until he was ten and is now 6'-1" with a big bass voice. lol Well, easy to chuckle now that we are light years away from the surgeries, physical therapies and occupational therapies. Typical childhood illnesses were potentially life threatening. We almost lost him at five when he contracted a virulent respiratory infection. Eight days in ICU on a ventilator and in a drug induced coma.

We are off to Maypop today. We ended up eating penne, mushrooms and herbed tomato sauce last night with sauteed onions and zucchini on the side. Tonight will probably be that salad 'cause there's some roasted chicken for a topper.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

June 1, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9147433

I miss having rhubarb - too hot here to grow it.
Debsroots
Northwest, MO
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9147439

I just put a strawberry rhubarb pie in the oven,both ingredients fresh from the garden. At least I know what dessert will be tonight.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9147461

Darius, I'll bet that's the Victoria Sauce I mentioned! I probably got it from the Ball Book; I'll have to check. Right now I have peas to shell, plus a couple of fava pods.

I think tonight I'm going to make magret de canard along with the last of the garden asparagus.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #9147847

Celene - Odd there is no wheat bran. We use it so rarely that whatever we have lasts a long time.

Laurel – DS sounds quite talented. Seems to run in the family.

Deb - Rhubarb in any form sounds good.

Dinner is either out tonight or I need to make a run to a grocery store.

Anyone have suggestions for recipes using snap peas?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 1, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9147978

It's become chilly, and a low tonight forecast for 45º, so I'm making real scalloped potatoes to go with leftover scratch Boston Baked Beans and BBQ baby back ribs.

Susan, no creative ideas for snap peas. I either eat them fresh in salads, or in stir-fries.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9147995

Same here: fresh or stir fries.

BTW - I came across a thread where you mention that you bought hardy kiwi vines this year. Any tips or information on planting them?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 1, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9148016

Nothing special for hardy kiwi, as far as I know. I put mine on the new trellis and attached them loosely to the bottom rung. They are slow-growers.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2012
3:42 AM

Post #9149935

Dinner last night was pineapple chicken in tortillas. Lunch was spiced (cinnamon, ginger, cloves, etc) salmon with a green salad, blackberries, apricots, and pomegranate seeds.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2012
3:49 AM

Post #9149939

That lunch sounds especially good, Susan!

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 3, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9150063

I did some freezer diving for dinner last night. Last summers' organic corn from a local farm (frozen) & green beans (my own) with salmon & dilled mayo.

Tam

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9150075

The scalloped potatoes were the best I've ever made... used russets which made a difference, added some chopped onion, a tad of garlic, fresh thyme and used real cream. The cheese was Dubliner cheddar made by Kerrygold.

Tam, dilled salmon sounds good. I need to get myself in gear soon and make some mayo. All I can find in the stores now is made with GMO canola.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 3, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9150110

There's an organic brand here though i don't recall the name right now & don't have any in the fridge to check. I've made mayo a number of times and it just doesn't taste good. I am sure its the oil. What type of oil do you use?

Off to Ca for another week of work there.
Tam
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9150147

Lunch was very good. So was dinner. DH used premixed seafood rub on the salmon at lunch.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2012
10:03 AM

Post #9150237

Tam, I haven't made mayo in ages. I've moved to using a good tasting EVOO (Barbera Frantoia) for most things but it's probably too strong for mayo; don't know if I have any milder EVOO on hand. I'm also thinking to try a batch with extra-virgin coconut oil.

Since homemade mayo has a short shelf life, I'm thinking to try a fermented version as well.

I doubt I'll get to this for 2-3 weeks as I have a 3 day trip to Charlottesville next week to see my liver docs, and MUCH garden work to do before I go!

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9150302

Must have been salmon night...ours was lemon peppered, and I had fresh asparagus and a rice medley which was left over from a previous meal. Strawberry shortcake for DH and I had the remnants of an apple crisp.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 3, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9150380

Darius. I tried coconut oil and evoo. Both were too strong. I tried a mix with peanut oil too I don't have any canola. I wonder if grape seed would work.

Tam
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

June 3, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9150389

What about flaxseed? [my latest salad dressing oil]...but I know nada about homemade mayo.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9150406

Have you tried canola yet?

Does seem like it was a salmon night. I think some of both strawberry shortcake and apple crisp would have been nice.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9150443

I won't eat canola oil, nor soybean oil.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2012
2:10 PM

Post #9150491

Even if it's organic?
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

June 3, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9150547

I saw this somewhere: sunflower oil is made from sunflowers, olive oil is made from olives, what's canola oil made of?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9150568

Leslie, how can a GMO product be "organic"??

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

June 3, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9150586

Canola oil is made from rapeseed oil. Because the name sounds ugly, it was christened "canola" (for Canadian oil, low acid) by the Canadian government. Like cottonseed, soy and other oils, it's likely to have been grown with GMO seed. Not by necessity, but usually. Also, most all canola is extracted with hexane if that bothers you.

From Snopes.com: http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/canola.asp

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9150590

Canola OIl and Sunflower both taste really odd to me. I use peanut oil and olive oil almost exclusively and keep a small container of corn oil just for a flavorless oil.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

June 3, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9150593

Corn oil always smells rancid to me, even when I *know* it's fresh.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9150606

I agree with you both, M5 and Celene. I've mentioned it before but thought maybe it was just me. It's supposed to be flavorless but I can taste it and don't like it. It's an issue for me buying prepared foods because I can taste it in prepared foods like those from TJs and WF. Life would be much more simple if we not only ate everything but ate it from anyplace. :)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9150612

Hey Laurel... Did you go to any of the Atlanta Underground Markets? I understand they are now "Atlanta Nosh"...

I totally agree on the corn oil too!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9150621

Aside from the offensive smell/taste, I suspect most corn oil is from GMO corn.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9150643

Errrrrrrkkkkk guess I'll discard what's left.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

June 3, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9150644

That would be my guess as well, Darius.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9150694

Darius, if it's labeled organic, then it's not GMO by definition. One of the cooking sprays is labeled organic canola oil. You can also find organic oils in health food stores.

I would like to find a decent source of organic, or at least not GMO-laced, chicken feed; it really bothers me that I'm doubtless giving GMO food to my chickens and then eating the eggs. But the cost is high and shipping is often even higher than the price of the product.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9150719

Darius, I was solicited to participate but have not even have the time to check out the Underground Market in person. http://atlantaundergroundmarket.com/ The concept is super cool. originally I understood they were somewhat like flash mobs with last minute details about location and lots of rules for being selected. I'm game but don't have an instant strategy for how I'd represent myself or my business cuisine-wise. Catering requires menus that please the client where as restaurants put it out there and stay or go. I'd need to think about a food truck mentality to do it. Like if I had one what would it be? Suggestions for what would suit are welcome.

Leslie, good luck with finding organic non-GMO feed. Maybe look at NJ's organic growers association because organic vegetable growers often raise poultry for cycling fertilizer. They usually have regular monthly open meetings. Regarding cooking sprays; are you satisfied with the additives in those?

SO is finishing the roller work on our newly painted bedroom. I finished all the cutting and trim a short while ago. What a bugger. The whole cottage is coated in that seventies wood paneling. Not the cheap stuff but still... . Painting my way out of dark walnut has become a life ambition. If one more person walks in here and says they love it I'll smack them! Now to figure dinner. Did I hear salad?

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #9150810

Laurel, I'm not happy with the additives but the spray works much better for me than EVOO when I'm making eggs; it also works well for baking tins. I'll have to see if NJ has an organic growers' association, but if they do it's probably up in Northern NJ, which is actually quite far from me.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2012
4:08 AM

Post #9151203

Somehow I've missed all the controversy on the canola oil. I've dropped cooking with corn, sunflower, oil, and a number of others for various reasons. Some of the reasons were too low of a heat point, issues with LDL/HDL, gunk on my cooking pots, use chemicals to extract the oil, etc. So I'll take a look at what the info says on this and decide what to do. Thanks for posting the link. BTW - What I did read here shortly says that the issues with the internal organs are the same for other oils also.

Dinner last night was at the DILs. DH and DFIL's birthday celebration. DMIL is now cooking some raw foods. It caused a problem for me last night because she used ingredients to cook with that she didn’t realize I can't eat.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9151332

Leslie, I copied an organic chicken feed recipe a while back, from someone who raises organic chickens and also has a hard time finding feed without GMO's in it. I'll look for it and send it to you.

I understand what you are saying that organic foods by definition have to be non-GMO, but the gov't has been allowing more non-organic additives in the last few years. There are many points of dissension for me about how most oils are processed regardless of an organic label.

Originally, Canola was bred naturally from rapeseed at the University of Manitoba Canada in the early 1970s, but it has a very different nutritional profile in addition to much less erucic acid. The name "canola" was derived from "Canadian oil, low acid" in 1978. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canola#Genetic_modification_issues

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9151343

I found the soy-less chicken feed link: http://blueviolafarm.blogspot.com/2012/04/feeding-growing-chickswithout-soy.html

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9151395

Thanks, Darius! She's just talking about food for chicks, so I posted a question about food for layer hens. We already feed our dog Taste of the Wild, although they had a recall because of salmonella recently. I never thought of feeding our chickens that...
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9151472

Laurel - For the food truck, what are the foods that you are best at and is there an overall theme to it? I.e. Jewish grandmother (or not), organic orgasmic food, BBQ Queen, etc?

A friend who is a caterer makes BBQ, BBQ rubs, and a Rum cake. He seems to make as many cooking shows/events and interviews as he can. The last one was in Miami. He uses it as advertising for his company plus he sells the rum cake to restaurants.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2012
10:05 AM

Post #9151642

Susan, it's not a truck, it's like a flash mob event staged several times a year. Vendors apply for booth-type spaces and serve small bites of every imaginable cuisine. It's like a food fair. Participants buy tickets at the entrance, each one good for a tasting. Some of the vendors are amateur home chefs. The people putting this together require proof of a food safety prep course which is provided by area extension services. If I ever found the time to do it I'd probably do Euro/Med.

About olive oil...EVOO is more viscous with a lower smoking point than regular VO. There is more olive matter in EVOO because it's the first press thus the stronger (richer) flavor. When cooking with higher heat, such as sauteing, one should use VO and not EVOO. It is the second pressing and contains less olive particulate. Use EVOO unheated or on lower temps the way you would butter. I prefer peanut oil for frying.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #9151817

I'll look at peanut oil as we need something when cooking that doesn't smoke. We don't fry anything so that's not an issue.

Yes. I saw that. I thought you were asking about food truck mentality ideas.

Dinner is left overs. We made rosemary garlic chicken last night for the DILs and we have left overs. It will proably be a salad as I picked more greens out of the garden yesterday.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #9151831

Years ago, long before I started questioning oils, I bought a bottle of organic peanut oil, maybe made by Spectrum. It actually smelled like peanuts, tasted fresh, and was great to use for high-heat cooking without imparting a peanut taste. YUM.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9151862

Spectrum also has organic mayonnaise, but some of their products aren't organic so you have to look carefully.

Btw, I found organic chicken feed at Tractor Supply, or at least they can order it for me, but it's $35 for 50 lbs. I'd have to double my egg prices, and I don't think that most of my customers care if there are GMO grains in the feed so I'd probably lose them.

We're having some sort of chicken tonight - to be announced...
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9151883

GG This was posted in April on the NYT so it's possible that it might be an issue eventually. I've been hearing more about arsenic in the feed. I just didn't realize that there was more than that iether in it or given to the chickens. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/05/opinion/kristof-arsenic-in-our-chicken.html

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9151948

Oh, I heard about that earlier this year. I checked and our feed doesn't include that.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9152260

Somebody asked about snap peas. I mix them with thinly sliced radishes and marinate them with a mix of white or red wine vinegar, sugar and salt/pepper to taste, then top with feta. Mix them up fresh, or refrigerate them for a few hours. You could add some mint if you want to add another flavor dimension, but I tend to skip it. I'm serving it with some Key West marinated chicken kabobs tomorrow night :-)

Tonight is one of my husband's favorite meals: grilled steaks with a side of potatoes and a small side salad from our own lettuce. Simple and hearty fare.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9152558

That sounds like a good snap/snow pea recipe, Terry. I line them up and julienne them to use in chicken and fish salads. We use them raw under hot chicken and pork dishes in place of noodles. They can be julienned and dressed out with a favorite dressing and provide a bed for salmon or other fish. I throw them in my fresh pickle brews. Our dog, Goober, loves all kinds of raw peas. We call the over grown ones "Goober peas".
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

June 5, 2012
5:12 AM

Post #9152905

I have enjoyed the conversation about oils. I had no idea and will use more peanut oil and stop sauteing with EVOO. Thanks for the education.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9153044

Both of those sound like good ideas.

BTW - The flash mob event might be an oppurtunity to try new catering recipes on the foodie or general public.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9153533

it may be too hot to think about beans on the stove (as opposed to vegetables on the grill) but i live with a bean lover and
the other night i hit on something that he says he could eat every night although i won't be making it that often! lol
You Will Need:

1 can drained garbanzo beans
1 can drained butter beans
2 onions sliced thin
cup or so of chopped celery (with leaf if possible)
cilantro
course pepper
kosher salt
couple dashes of olive oil
ground cumin
shredded low fat mozzarella
cup of chicken stock

i just throw it all in a pot and simmer about half hour with lid on but browning the onion and celery first would probably be even better.
i use pretty much cumin and i do use fresh cilantro.
when i ladle it on the plate i top with the cheese.

it has a mexican taste that i love without going overboard and the two different beans give it texture.

Thumbnail by trackinsand

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9153624

Ohh, that sounds yummy, Tracks. Was it inspired or from a recipe? We are huge bean lovers! Our friend down the road called and said she had lots of extra kale. Mine was seeded late and still small. I stuffed a grocery bag with her organic kale, another with chard, another with Romaine and two dozen organic eggs. She buys organic feed, Leslie. Oriental poppy seeds for my garden too. I provide all her tomatoes and peppers.

We are having an unauthentic Tuscan-style stew of great northern beans from dry ('cause I don't have cannillini), roasted chicken stock, Cheryl's fresh kale, mushrooms and mini farfelle. A lingering chicken breast and a hunk of brisket are wanting to go for a short swim.

The cooking style here is evolving to one dish dinners. We finally got our bedroom painted and reassembled. The four poster and dust ruffle took hours. SO spent much of the day replacing outlets and switches from brown to white. The wood paneling required three coats including the primer/sealer. I cleaned the carpets. Still need to cut grass and tend the garden before going back to Atlanta tomorrow.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 5, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9153713

That sounds good, Debi... even though I prefer not to use canned beans. (I have a problem with phytates, so soaking dry beans inn aciduated water overnight, then rinsing, works better for me.) Glad to see you stopped by!

Laurel, that was a great trade! YUM.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

June 5, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9153715

That bean dish looks yummy to me too. Laurel, sounds like a nice remodel. We once painted over dark brown kitchen cabinets...took several coats but man! what a difference. There was a big picture window and that room rocked when we got done with it. Painting is such satisfying work - like weeding.

I just food-milled my roasted garden tomatoes - not much sauce (maybe a cup and a half total which I split with my friend I borrowed the mill from) but I expect it will be very good over hot noodles with a big salad which will include one of the Marianna's Peace tomatoes. A 2# tomato!! Talk about flavor! wow. I'm speechless...and some home baked bread.

Side note: I lost a lot of plum tomatoes (San Marzano and Black Plum) to BER so am thinking of how to combat that in the next tomato growing season, fast approaching. Anyone made tomato leather??

Thumbnail by MaryMcP

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9153739

i'd have to say that it was totally inspired by the need for a quick side dish a couple nights ago. i grabbed a can, then another and before i knew it i was cutting and chopping and digging through the fridge. the cilantro was fresh from the neighbor's garden.
it's very filling and good for us too! we're having roasted turkey thighs and when i asked what he wanted for a side tonight, he said, "those beans". lol

the cheese was just melting over the beans when i took this shot.

Thumbnail by trackinsand   Thumbnail by trackinsand
Click an image for an enlarged view.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 5, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9153744

Y'all are driving me nuts with fresh tomatoes! My last frost date is late May, and even then the soil is not warm enough for tomato plants. Mine are still seedlings without their first true leaves! (I may have to buy tomatoes at the farmer's market this year, too busy doing foundation/prep work for future garden areas to tend my seedlings; I've already lost a few.)

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9153843

The bean dish sounds yummy here too - thanks for sharing your recipe!

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9153886

hey darius, i got side-tracked by that big, honkin' tomato picture! lol
tomatoes are having a tough time in this neighborhood. finally getting some much needed rain...
i try to look for canned beans that contain as little amounts of ingredients as possible but regardless, i do drain and rinse. years ago, before i knew better, i'd dump the beans, liquid and all, into the pot. i'm very sensitive to calcium and i'm sure "bean juice" contributed to some of the many stomach aches i had.

you're welcome, terry!
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

June 5, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9154015

Quoting:, i got side-tracked by that big, honkin' tomato picture!

I know I know...it really is a big honkin' tomato. We'll probably get 15 meals or more out of it. ;-)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2012
8:29 AM

Post #9154501

Food trivia, interesting if you like sweets:

On June 8, 1911, with the coronation of King George V and Queen Mary mere weeks away, The Times (London, England), ran the following short piece:

A Coronation Cake.
The King has consented to receive from Messrs. Gunter and Co. (Limited) a Coronation cake.

The cake weighs about 500 - 600lbs., and its ingredients included 190 lbs. of butter, sugar, and flour, 700 eggs, and 200 lbs. of mixed fruit, besides almonds and liqueurs. Almond icing is overlaid with sugar icing, and the cake, which was baked in sections, is octagonal in shape. Its circumference is about 9 ft, and its height nearly 2 ft. It is lavishly ornamented with panels containing painted miniatures of their Majesties and emblems of the Overseas Dominions. Above the cake are graduated columnar temples, containing a finely molded sugar figure of Britannia on the first tier, a fully-rigged three-decker on the second tier, and a figure of “Love” on the third tier. The whole is surmounted, at a height of about 10 ft, by a white satin cushion, on which reposes a crown, supported by three lions rampant. Figures of “Peace” and “Plenty” are also incorporated in the design.

Messrs. Gunter and Co. provided the cake for the wedding of the King and Queen in 1893, and that for the silver wedding of King Edward and Queen Alexandra.

SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 6, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9154533

Interesting cake.

Large tomato. Anticipating our first small ones here. Sometime before July 4.

Thinking about ideas for dinner. I think we have shrimp in the freezer if so then something with shrimp.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 6, 2012
11:28 AM

Post #9154702

Anyone cooked with Cuban Oregeno or Spanish Thyme?
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 6, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9155023

Dinner was boiled shrimp and a fresh grapefruit, herb, and fennel salad. Didn't like the salad much. Fennel was too strong for it.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9155029

I have, Mary. It's really best left as the decorative plant it is. As for tomatoes, you will most likely be happier with hearts though the output is appreciably less plus they tend to get so large they fall off the plant. :( It's a plus for saucing and canning that they have few seeds but hard on us seed savers.

Darius, are you into the Jubilee? I've been disconnected from events on our mountainside.

It's fast food for us tonight. I've got Costco pot stickers in the freezer from youngest son's last stay, mushrooms, boxed broth, garden carrots, snow peas, green onions, broccoli and cilantro. We returned to Atlanta today after working in the garden and trying to put the newly painted bedroom back together. I've got to be at work at eight.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9155044

No, I didn't watch any of the Jubilee. (I'm not much of an anglophile, not that being an American today is anything much to brag about either.) The Coronation cake was posted on a blog I follow about historic foods and I just thought the immense size and description was interesting. Since the Blogger is originally from England (and now in New Zealand I think), she posts a lot of 200-300 year-old recipes.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 6, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9155084

Darius - Do you think they actually served it? It would take a ladder to cut the top layers.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9155087

Laurel, this is from her post today:

The word ‘jubilee’ was originally from the concept of a ‘jubilee year’, which, as I understand it, is a Jewish concept. The Oxford English indicates that the phrase has been in use in the English language since the fourteenth century, and explains it thus:

“Jubilee Year”: A year of emancipation and restoration, which according to the institution in Lev. xxv was to be kept every fifty years, and to be proclaimed by the blast of trumpets throughout the land; during it the fields were to be left uncultivated, Hebrew slaves were to be set free, and lands and houses in the open country or un-walled towns that had been sold were to revert to their former owners or their heirs.”

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9155090

Susan I have no clue... but I'd bet no one wanted to see 700 eggs go to waste... never mind the other ingredients!
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 6, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9155107

BTW - Something to do with our cooking items if we ever decide to quit cooking. http://hutchstudio.blogspot.com/p/whirligig-catalog.html
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 7, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9156350

Dinner was ham with a roasted yam, black bean, red pepper, red onion, and cilantros salad

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9156384

i copped out tonight...canned sweet sue chicken and dumplings with some chicken stock, frozen peas and a half rotissiere chicken from publix thrown in the pot. we did have a fresh spinach salad with garden tomatoes...not a totally bad meal. lol

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 7, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9156393

Since I have a dental casualty across the table, he got macaroni and cheese and I had a gigantic salad. Then I went and brushed my teeth early so I wouldn' t be tempted to snack.
I have one thumbnail size green cherry tomato so it's going to be a long wait...

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9156399

i wish that would work for me...i brush then snack...
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9157342

I roasted ten chickens (40 pounds) yesterday and got them boned and skinned for Brunswick stew. The roasted chicken skin spent the night in a six quart crockpot turning into stock and the bones have been going all day. SO is going to smoke ten pounds of chicken thighs tomorrow to get the smokey flavor in there. Eighteen quarts of tomato base are simmering on the stove now. Butter peas are going in a separate pot. SO is outside grilling sixteen ears of organic bicolor corn. Have no idea what's for dinner.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9157379

Dinner is left over here.

Does all of that get thrown together for the stew?
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9157492

Yes, it's now assembled and chilling. Onions and peppers from last year's garden made it into the mix. Diced potatoes too. The original recipe had game, either squirrel or rabbit and, here in the Deep South, almost always included pulled pork. It's for Daughter's and FSIL's (Future Son In Law's) weekend. The Friday night reception catered by 'nother entity unhappily ended up a bust. First was our disappointing tasting and then an alternative venue was asked to send menu proposals and arrange a tasting date. And asked, and asked, and asked... DD was getting anxious, FSIL was annoyed so I suggested renting a tent, tables, lighting, et al and doing a casual evening in the meadow of the park retreat we have booked. Core family and friends will be staying there while other guests are nearby. There's a catering kitchen on premises. So I set about finding someone local to provide a casual country BBQ or grill party. All I can find is ready made dinners delivered on styrofoam plates with jugs of iced tea. Uhuh. Then we went on a quest tasting BBQ in Atlanta to bring up and things got so complicated, not to mention greasy, we came to the only logical conclusion acceptable to micromanaging, Type A me, that we would be doing the groom's reception dinner too. Don't comment. The mom was thrilled to not have to do anything and sent a check. So now we have twenty quarts of Brunswick stew that can be frozen and SO will smoke two whole brisket packers that we'll get at Costco. That's whole, nine or more pounds with fat cap on, the way restaurants smoke them. They'll be trimmed, sauced and warmed in chafers for sandwiches. The Brunswick stew will be served with fresh cornbread which will contain some of today's grilled corn. I'll make a vegetarian version and there will be simple sides, mostly from the garden. The local German Baptist http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_German_Baptist_Brethren bakeshop will provide freshly baked pies for dessert. Beer, wine, our spring water and herbed teas. I'd prefer to not be doing this but it was down to finding an expedient solution and time to move on. There will be at least fifty guests that night and more than sixty the night after. Dealing with people to take care of things was taking more of my time than doing it myself.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 8, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9157562

Laurel, that sounds like it will be a first class Brunswick stew, probably better than most I've ever eaten!

Question, you said butter peas cooking for it. Are they akin to butter beans or baby limas, traditional in Brunswick stew??
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2012
5:01 AM

Post #9157855

Meal sounds very good. Sounds like a wise choice to move on. Any chance you can find people to help with setup, serving and clean-up?

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 9, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #9158124

Well I bet that dinner will be better than anything you would have lined up anyway.

I'm home again from my latest week on the west coast. I'm off to get some fresh veggies & fruits and map out a few home cooked meals.

Tam

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 9, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9158189

It was fresh vegetable fajitas...Everything fresh, except for the tortilla.. Delicious..

Larkie

Thumbnail by Larkie

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #9158307

oh man, my kind of meal...wiping drool off desk...

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #9158312

That's what's for dinner tonight but we're not cooking...great mexican place we went to last week, invited DS and DIL to go along tonight. DH had some dental problems this week, so he's been eating gooshy food and I've been surviving on whatever I could rustle up. I'm ready for some tableside-made fresh guacamole...and crunchy hot just made chips

This message was edited Jun 9, 2012 3:54 PM

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 9, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9158342

I've decided we're having omelets with kale, red pepper, a mix of mushroom & onion for dinner. I prepped a big pot of squash lentil stew for the slow cooker tomorrow. I love puttering in the kitchen!

I scored local sweet cherries at the farm stand down the road. Apparently the early warmth this spring followed by a cold snap has limited the supply (and peaches will be scarce too). They are early to boot. But they are delicious.

Tam
Debsroots
Northwest, MO
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9158519

Roasted 12 lbs of pork today, and a 11 pound turkey. Dinner tonight is roast pork, potatoes, corn harvard beets, and chocolate cherry cake.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9158532

Dinner tonight was chicken stir fry with garlic, carrots, peppers, summer squash, snap & snow peas, Bok Choi, onions, and radishes in bean sauce on wahini rice. Dessert was at the greek festival and split with DH: wedding cookie, baklava, and chocolate something.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9158621

Oh, yum!!

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 9, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #9158712

Now that's a lot of roasted mean Debs! Chocolate cherry cake sounds really good too. As does a stir fry - haven't had one in a while. I must make one soon.

I totally forgot we were to watch a movie with friends so I didn't get to try the strawberries w/shortcake I made this afternoon. I used a whole stick of butter & 2/3c heavy cream in the shortcake so its gotta be good! :-) Well.. something to look forward to tomorrow.

Tam
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2012
4:55 AM

Post #9158901

Chocoate cherry cake and roast pork does sound good. We're making an asian roasted pork loin early this morning before it gets too hot this morning. Suppose to be 91 today.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9161113

Dinner is tacos with asian pork, roasted onions, mango, lettuce, and rice.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 11, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9161125

Aglio olio with sundried tomatos, artichoke hearts, and spinach. Salad.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9161188

Sounds good. Added roasted carrots to diiner and blackberries to the taco.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9161237

I made a big pot of chili in the crockpot; I started it last night and then checked it this morning, added a few more things, and let it sit until near dinnertime, when I turned it back on again. I used deer meat, and didn't even brown it first. The meat was falling-apart tender. Served it with guacamole and salsa and chips. Yum.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 11, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9161246

Oh those both sound terrific! We had leftovers.

Tam
LAS14
Albany, ME
(Zone 4b)

June 12, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9162637

MaypopLaurel, I haven't logged on for several weeks, so this is a response to a mid-may posting of yours. About salad season!! I, too, love the time when every night it's chef salad from the garden. My hubby likes the idea, but he is much happier when I add lots of croutons. I need the eggs or cheese or meat or all three myself. And a can of beans or garbanzos... I get a big bag of croutons from Costco and have to hide it or he just nibbles it away. :-)

I greet you by your full name because I, too, am Laurel. There aren't many of us. I keep expecting it to become one of the top three names!

LAS

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #9162642

We love summer salads, but usually add pasta to ours.

Tonight I made merguez lamb patties with couscous and a salad. I added almost the full amount of harissa called for in the recipe and it was really good! Even DGD, who normally doesn't like lamb, had second helpings.
LAS14
Albany, ME
(Zone 4b)

June 12, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9162650

But tonight no salad. Instead super market cole slaw and potato salad and tirumphant reuben sandwiches made by me! The best ever. Standard Swiss cheese and corned beef and sauerkraut on rye, but the triumph was the dressing. Gray Poupon base, with a little ketchup and horseradish and tiny chopped up dill pickles. I hope I can duplicate the proportions! The occasion was a casual b'day party for one of our grandsons who had turned two. And who obligingly said "two" when asked... SO SMART! Aren't all our grandchildren smart??? :-)

LAS
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9162684

Dinner was turkey Bolognese on Einkorn whole wheat fusilli pasta plus a plate of raw garden vegetables.

Sounds like a fun time with the grandkids and also good food.

Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9162741

Pork chops, new potatoes, beets, tomato / cucumber salad (all veggies raised locally from the farmer's market) true summer treats. Lime bars left over from a family reunion this past weekend will be on the "late night snack" menu, Will pick the first of the green beans tomorrow morning and try salvaging some kale before the weather gets any warmer. Love this time of the year and the veggies that it produces. We had some great basil pesto this past week and getting ready to harvest it again.
LAS14
Albany, ME
(Zone 4b)

June 12, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9162762

Edens_Gardener, how do you have kale in the spring? I plant in the spring and it is a summer/fall plant.

TIA
LAS
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9162816

I have been preempted by our upcoming RU and wedding week and am trying to catch up.

Darius, anything that leans toward round is called a "pea" here in the deep south. I believe butter peas are considered a type of baby lime bean. That said, baby lima beans are not all "baby" beans. Many are small species limas. I'm referencing you here http://www.pictsweet.com/our-products/category/all-natural because you can see that their list includes both butter beans and butter peas. They are my favorite brand. We grow butter peas in late summer to harvest for dry beans in winter. They are so creamy and not mealy like many limas.

LAS, now we are only semi-unique. Maybe not unique at all. When I joined DG I tried a bunch of Laurel combos and everything was taken. lol It is great to meet another gardening, food loving Laurel and from such a far of sphere no less. :)

A review of dinners the past few nights include SO's baby backs, oven fries and grilled veggies two nights ago, sushi, seaweed and saki with friends last night followed by music, lively converse and a port(s) tasting. I made a batch of white limas this past week and discovered a meaty ham bone from one of our previously smoked hams. The meat was steamed off the bone this afternoon and mixed with the limas. There was a salad with homemade croutons, kalamata olives and Basque sheep's milk cheese.

Everybody...thanks for all the great support regarding the wedding weekend. It's coming together beautifully. We are still weeks away from final RSVPs and have way more guests than we anticipated. Somewhere between menu planning and table topper quilting I'll have to figure out what to wear and how to clean myself up.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9162986

Glad it's going well. The wedding and all the parties sound like they will be a lot of fun.

LAS - Eden may have an easier method by which to tell when to plant kale in the spring. We plant our kale outside around March 20 or as soon as the soil is warmed up to 45degF. We also carry it further into cold weather (spring or fall) by using row covers and an overall plastic cover. See Eliot Colman's books for more information on that. http://www.fourseasonfarm.com/

Sweet dreams everyone.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
9:21 PM

Post #9163027

Time for a new 'un - here we go to Part 33: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1264789/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America