Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Poultry and Livestock: Baby Duck question

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 17, Views: 79
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
smedgekles
Conroe, TX

May 16, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9126298

Our baby ducks have hatched! We weren't expecting them to hatch till tomorrow or Friday but two hatched yesterday and one today. The two that hatched yesterday are fine and up and about, the other had some trouble and was getting a bit dry in the shell. It had a pretty good hole and we could see the fluff drying. I cracked a little around the shell and let it push its way out. It took it a while, but it finally got out. The only thing is that it seems to want to curl up in the fetal position like it was in the shell and its feet stay curled. Since we have never hatched ducks except for under a hen, we don't know if the curled up is normal for it and they do that till they are out of the shell for a while, or if this means something is wrong. We have hatched 4 other ducks, but under hens so we don't know how long it takes them to get "stretched out" after hatching. Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9127483

put it back in the bator and make a double row(roll up a towel from each side leaving only a space wide enough for the duckling so it can only stand or sit and move back and forth, not side to side) That way it has something to lean against until its legs get strong enough and straightened out. Do this immediately and until it is standing and walking without problems, probably 3 to 5 days. Works like a charm
smedgekles
Conroe, TX

May 17, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9127507

It is very curled, won't try to stand at all, its head curls around and it ends up curled like it is still in the egg and laying on its side. We uncurl it and when we put it down it curls up like a spring recoiling.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #9127623

hence the rolled towel where it doesn't have room to do that. Make sure to get some vitamin water in it too every couple of hours and if you had some grow gel a small container of it since it gives vitamins and moisture. I swear by it especially when you have a weak baby
smedgekles
Conroe, TX

May 17, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9127892

Here is a picture of it. We have tried getting it to drink, but it doesn't seem to be able to drink well. My husband even tried getting it to eat a little with no luck. I don't have vitamin water, where can I get that?

Thumbnail by smedgekles
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2012
11:55 PM

Post #9127982

vitamins powder you put in chicken water. The head twisted back worries me. Wry neck??? Can it go in the correct position when you hold it and stand it up?? Someone here dealt with that. Maybe they will speak up. just try to hold it up every chance you have, massage its neck, put it feet flat and get some fluids in it as best you can. The longer it stays in this position the worse the outcome will be. Sorry wish I could do more
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

May 18, 2012
3:55 AM

Post #9128030

Get some baby vit. called poly vi sol without the iron in it.Put two drops on its beak twice a day and see if that works.Walmart sells it and any drug store.Use non medicated feed when using this as it affects the absorption of the vit.Hope it helps
porkpal
Richmond, TX

May 18, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9128138

I would be inclined to dilute the Poly vi sol to insure proper hydration.
smedgekles
Conroe, TX

May 18, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9128192

Its neck will go straight when we make it go straight. And it stays straight for a bit after we put him back down, but then starts to curl back again. I tried the towels, but he kicks his way out and the neck goes back.

We had a turkey that had wry neck , we finally got it straightened out, but it always had some problem eating and eventually died. This duck is a bit different, the neck doesn't just go back, it curls around back in the inside the egg position.
smedgekles
Conroe, TX

May 18, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9128203

Oh shoot, I have poly vi sol. I didn't even remember till Green said it, I went and looked and sure enough I still have it and it's not expired. Problem is, it is almost impossible to get it to drink. It gets a little but shakes it head and slings it out, And even when it doesn't sling it out it seems to have trouble swallowing. I'm afraid we may have to just put it down. Poor thing, its so sweet but it's just cruel to let it like it is.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2012
9:22 AM

Post #9129512

how is baby duckie???
smedgekles
Conroe, TX

May 19, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9130092

Baby duckie died. :(
Illig1
Redwood City, CA

May 19, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9130104

So sorry. You did your very best and nature can just be so cruel.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2012
11:23 PM

Post #9130163

so sorry ;-(
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

May 20, 2012
4:17 AM

Post #9130235

So sorry
smedgekles
Conroe, TX

May 21, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9131599

Thanks. I felt so bad for the little thing, it had such a sweet face. I hate when something hatches like that, it is so hard to see it suffer when it is so innocent and sweet.
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

May 21, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9131923

I know ,I have had that happen a few times.
smedgekles
Conroe, TX

May 22, 2012
10:33 AM

Post #9133570

Never easy, we lost one last year too. It could eat and drink, just not stay upright. But even though it ate and drank, it never grew any. I think it lived for a couple of weeks before it died.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America