Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Hostas: My new minis

Communities > Forums > Hostas
bookmark
Forum: HostasReplies: 2, Views: 62
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2012
4:39 AM

Post #9126893

I went to the Historic New England Herb Sale before Mother's Day this year (Did I buy any herbs? No, I bought hosta} and came away with two new minis: Teeny Weeny Bikini and Mighty Mouse!
I would have bought Mighty Mouse anyhow, because I loved the cartoon, but they are cute. People at the checkout are always amazed when I buy minis, that a hosta could be so tiny and still be a hosta. Am going to add some nice compost to my mini bed and renew the labels which is getting to be an annual thing. These will make a nice addition.
Martha
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 17, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9127617

sounds like a good sale to go to. One year I was on a tight budget, and I placed a small order with Hallson's. I was going back and forth, trying to decide if I wanted Tropical Storm or Mighty Mouse. I decided to purchase Tropical Storm. Imagine my delight and surprise when the package came and the bonus he sent me was Mighty Mouse.

Post some pics of your mini bed when you can. Here is a pic I took the other day of Mighy Mouse

Thumbnail by Noreaster
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9128131

Thanks. The Society will have a major hosta sale sometime in June at this location. I consider it a must go because aren't they located right around the corner from some of the places on my work route? Providential, wouldn't you say? Just like your hosta order. the hosta gods were listening. I think these were leftovers from last year's hosta sale.
They are a little pricey, but I could conceivably claim a tax deduction for them as HNE is a 501c3 charity. The hosta sale has everything giant to mini and I shop that too. but these were a nice find without the crowd.
I also have a hosta guy next town over who just advertised that he is open for business weekends for the summer. He turned his backyard into a hosta farm and he specializes in Hosta of the year. He's also getting into the daylily business. He has a few minis, but I have bought them all. I try to get to him at least 2 or 3 times in the summer.
This Sunday I am going to the Massachusetts Horticultural Society "Society Row" plant sale which has sale tables from the various plant societies in the state and see what the Mass Hosta Society has brought along for this year. There is also a miniature plant society which often has interesting mini hosta. I also need to have a confab with the Rhododendron Society people. We shall see what we can harvest this weekend. I am going to be exhausted Sunday night, but extremely happy.
Martha

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hostas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your Favorite Hosta... blonde_elf 117 Nov 16, 2009 7:06 PM
Mania Links pupper 5 May 21, 2007 10:11 PM
Help me choose leslie 10 Jul 16, 2008 10:40 AM
Lovely Loretta jody 55 Jun 23, 2007 11:02 AM
cup hostas handhelpers 11 Aug 25, 2007 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America