Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Bird Watching: Birds Nesting in The Garden, Vol. 8

Communities > Forums > Bird Watching
bookmark
Forum: Bird WatchingReplies: 30, Views: 239
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9126976

Spring arrived early this year, and so was the birds nesting activity that started (as early as Feb.) in our garden. Please come and share your birds' activity where you're. I love to watch the Canadian Geese that remained in the South for nesting season.

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1246446/

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2012
7:16 AM

Post #9128268

Junior Blue 1 of 3 by the feeder this early morning.
2 Juvies with Momma Blue.
Same
The mealies were provided yesterday evening apparently after the birds have gone to roost. They promptly discovered the treat at daybreak.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9131103

Yesterday I was delighted to have discovered that while Momma Blue brought her youngs to the feeder, all a sudden she took off and headed toward the nestbox. There she landed;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9131112

Not until I uploaded the photos, did I find out that the new male BB was in the area watching out for Momma Blue, for there were a pair of Mourning Doves nearby.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9131119

In our neighborhood, Purple Martins are rearing their youngs. Also Cliff Swallows are nursing their babies in their row of 'townhouses' that were made out of mud underside of a bridge nearby. ^_^

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9135106

The 1st day of 3rd week of May, Momma Blue was seen with straw in her beak, I finally caught a photo of her while she was hard at work building her nest. Her new partner remains nearby, this morning I saw him chase off another small bird while Momma Blue was inside the nest.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9136879

First thing I saw this morning. The BBs continue to work on their nest. The 3 fledglings with the unfortunate event of losing their papa to a cooper hawk. They were forced to stay away from the garden by the new Papa Blue. One morning I noticed the new Papa pecking at one youngster at the open cage feeder. The poor chick tried to dodge the pecking, and wasn't able to get through the narrow cage...Mamma Blue intervened; and since then I have not seen the youngsters around the feeder!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9137000

This one Eastern Kingbird has been seen on my back deck quite often working on gathering some of the cocofiber. I hope she will build a nest somewhere near within my line of vision.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9154762

Since I last posted. I think I spotted where the Eastern Kingbird nesting; our next door neighbor's tall pine tree! I hope to find the babies on one of these fine days. Our Eastern BBs are working on the second clutch. Alabama Ricky and Lucy (Carolina Chickadees) apparently are done with their nesting. I didn't get to find out how many babies they had. I think the couple continue to come to the feeder. So are the Titmouse -- those must have many offsprings. They dominate the mealies feeder and compete with the Carolina Wrens' ton of offspring too. There is a Wrens family dwelling inside the garage this year as well. And, White-breasted Nuthatch are spotted at their own nestbox this morning. Hope they will soon starting a new nest.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9155750

Today marks the day my little Wrens fledged! I'm not sure how many there were, but found one in my greenhouse this morning with both of its parents frantically tried to coach it to fly out of the garage. The baby is so cute, it looks no different than the parents except it has no tail.

I've noticed the Wrens' favorite place to perch. So this morning I set up a new mealies feeder to the trellis where the couple like to perch and sing. Soon after the couple found the treat:

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

June 7, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9156475

Gorgeous, Kim. Did the little one manage to get out of the greenhouse?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2012
4:13 AM

Post #9156683

Yes, that little one did soon after I left them to their affair. Both of the parents were chirping and calling as they flying in and out to show the baby the way.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9162087

On that very same day, one of the Wrens babies fell prey to my beloved pet J.B. Needless to say, I was at odd with J.B. for days. This morning; I saw a sign of mending of old pain from the loss. My Wrens are seen with a new location for a nest! The one I set out intended for them, and not in the garage as Wrens so desired for-- because of the safety afforded by being out of the elements.

I saw two Wrens that are taking turn coming in and out of the nestbox with grubs and such. There are newly hatched babies!!! J.B.? With this new development, the dog is kept indoor and strictly out with my supervision. Pets you've gotta love them, and all the pain they bring. Sigh*

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 20, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9172683

It's been hard to keep track of the house wren situation here since the male arrived and took over all three of the boxes. I thought they had built and had a brood in one box, but I think I was wrong.

However, looks like this lady is sitting on eggs. I do NOT like how close to the top that they have built the nest. It was not this tall last year. NOt only did I clean it out, but the mail cleaned it out when he evicted the Chickadees earlier this year.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9173530

Mrs. Ed, with my "untrained eyes" I still have trouble telling which is House Wren and which is Carolina Wren, can you help out see if the above pic.
I've of one that of House vs Carolina?

I can only surmise that having the nest built up so high, that put them more vulnerable to predators?
One correction I need to make; is that the forementioned wrens were actively building their future nest. Yesterday I saw them collecting "fur" like stuffs in their beaks.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9173536

See! :)

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2012
4:41 AM

Post #9173908

The Carolina has the little eyebrow. I also have read that they will nest almost anywhere, in a hanging basket, your garage, etc. LOL.
SusanLouise
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

June 22, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9175680

Hello All,

Sorry I'm still away for the most part...would you believe I'm still planting our gardens? It has been a nightmare trying to finish up. At least half of the areas needed some major maintanence this year, then with all the early warm weather, the weeds were so out of control to keep up with while doing the fixing/repairing...and trying to plant at the same time. Felt like I was just spinning my wheels. I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel...probably another week or so and hope to be done by July 4th.

I have only taken a few pics/videos...still have yet to get them off the camera...been that busy. However, we have been taking care of all our feathered friends. We had a successful Northern Cardinal pair nest in our patio garden honeysuckle...they had 3 fledglings! Currently, as of yesterday, our "Mama" Robin we have been feeding now for 3 years is building her 3rd nest!!!...as so many other birds are this Sprng/Summer breeding season. I was actually wondering if the birds would build a 3rd nest, or twiddle their toes with the extra time this summer before migrating. All the birds had 2 broods back to back very easily here...no major storms that they had to repair nests...and with the earlier migration due to the warm weather, I'm guessing that this year will have a more juvies of many species hopping around...life is good!

We are now feeding 3 mated pairs of Robins...kinda hard to keep feeding one pair a "secret" as other neighboring Robins scoped out the deal here. It is challenging to keep them all from fighting for the worms, but some are actually seeing that we favor our "Mama" and her mate, so they are learning there is a pecking order and if they are patient, they will get worms too. I wish ya'll were here to see that "Mama" calls me while I"m in the garden and she wants to take a bath in the birdbath without "issues" from the other Robins. I'll be watering the gardens or weeding and she will not stop squalking til I stand right next to the birdbath. I get soaked everytime...ROFLMBO
DH asked the 1st time I walked in the house all wet..."What happened to you???" After I told him he now calls me the bird whisperer...HA!

Mama nests in the trees across the street and she will normally be fed on our porch. The other 2 pairs get fed in our patio area, so she is crossing "territory lines" so to speak when she comes to our birdbath. She is feisty and will fight with the others if she has to, but she is very smart when she calls me over to be her bodyguard...I feel honored anyway :)
Sometimes I'll miss a feeding for her on the porch, and she will hunt me down in the backyard while I'm doing other things...bless her heart.
I will say, it is truely amazing how from observing birds to the degree that we do now, to see all the different personalities they do have and I can tell them all apart. Years ago, before being a "birder" I probably would have been able to distinguish a male and a female Robin, but actually distinguish/know which Robin is which of 6 of them like I do now? No way! We have even named them...
Mama (she waddles when she walks...so cute!)...her mate is called "Shy Boy" (we have to throw him worms...won't feed at the tray yet)
Fair Lady (her breast feathers are very pale) and her mate is "Stud" (slim, trim, very friendly and his head is the blackest of the 3 males we have)
Happy (this female has her beak open most of the time and she chirps almost constantly) and her mate is Borus (a chubby male)

Time to get back gardening...Hope all is well with everyone :D

This message was edited Jun 22, 2012 8:50 AM

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9175868

Wow Susan. Things really are happening at your place aren't they. You MUST get video of the bathing ritual if you can. That would be a hoot.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 22, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9176324

I'm so glad to 'hear' of all the acitivities that happening there Susan. Thank you for sharing. Not much happening here in my garden... I sure hope the Blue Birds still out there with their second brood for the season. My White-breasted Nuthatch is done with just one brood for the season this year. Chickadees also seem to stop working on their nest. I did see the Cardinals with their nest deep in the bamboo grove to the side yard, but apparently I missed the chicks when they fledged. Now the only two active nests? BBs and Carolina wrens. Looking forward to more of your pics. Susan, and yours too Mrs. Ed.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9179900

Well she's still quietly sitting. Once I see more activity I'll put up the wingscapes camera. I can't really see her now if I was just walking by. Instead, I take a flash picture and check it!

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

June 25, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9180799

That is so sweet.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 25, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9180933

I agreed, such sweet thing!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9266918

Well Marna, what has been going on with your Chickadees this season? Susan how are your Robins, all of the lovely family of Mama that waddles about, 'Shy Boy' the Pop. and the youngins 'Fair Lady', the slim and trim 'Stud', the chorus 'Happy' that sings almost constantly, and cute little chubby 'Borus'?

During the latter end of the growing season. I saw Mockingbird's fledgling, and Northern Cardinal juvies that were fledged late. Those birds must know how to stay cool for the heat of the summer was tough on them, no doubt.

My Moma Blue Bird didn't succeed making the second brood. Come to think of what would have gone wrong. I thought the second male BB wasn't successful courting the female bird. As it turned out... I didn't know this until last weekend when DH and took down the old nestbox to clean, and discovered Argentina ants have nested there. Well, patooey! I took the nest down and scrubbed it out real good. DH installed a brand new nest box up; one that has a door latch so hopefully I can catch some photos of the nestlings next season. (You can see the new Cedar nest box on pix. #4). At the mean time, Cardinals still bring their juvies to the feeder in the back yard. My chickadees Alabama 'Rick' & 'Lucy' and the rest of the residential birds are still around. I noticed Northern Flickers, and Redheaded Wps. in our area as well as Blue Jays, but they don't come to feed...

Oh yesterday, I saw the White-breasted Nuthatch came back to it 'old home' so I'll be watching sign that they will roost there over the winter.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9267380

The same Nuthatch returned to inspect the nest box again today.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9269652

Looks like you've had a good year Kim.

Once again, the chickadees nested but with no eggs. So the house wrens kicked them out. They had a brood and left. I have those pictures somewhere, but I can't seem to find them.

I did not see any other cardinal or robin nests this year, but I suspect they were around; it was just too hot for me to be outside and be more observant.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 9, 2012
6:29 AM

Post #9269670

Indeed the year was a good one. Marna, our summer's heat is discipated. It feels quite pleasant outdoor this early morning. I hope it's become cooler there for you as well. Do you get to see Goldfinch there year round? Here I had them around Spring, and they've migrated North for the summer. Yesterday I've these two "love birds" visiting the grains feeder for the first time since they left.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2012
5:28 AM

Post #9270526

Yes, we have the goldfinch year 'round. I have an influx of them right now, emptying a finch sock in about two days. They are very chatty, they go from the niger feeders to the live sunflowers and then to the pond. Cute buggers.
ChicagoKristy
Hannibal, MO
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9270801

I enjoyed reading all of your experiences. I have found the love of birds quite by accident, one chose my favorite hanging basket to nest in. Since then we have had 4 nests of babies. I hope to learn more so in the future I will be ale to distinguish species and calls. Such a relaxing and rewarding hobby! Now, if only I can figure out a way to potty-train them to go on the neighbors car, not ours haha (just kidding of course!!!)

Thumbnail by ChicagoKristy   Thumbnail by ChicagoKristy   Thumbnail by ChicagoKristy   Thumbnail by ChicagoKristy   

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 12, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9331192

LOL Kristy. Some how I've lost tract of the post ... love those photos you've shared.

This message was edited Nov 12, 2012 3:14 PM

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 12, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9331327

Join us on the new thread here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1287635/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America