AuthorContent
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 18, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9128213

This hydrangea woke up early and then I think the buds got damaged from the cold. I covered it on the cold nights, but evidently that wasn't enough protection. The buds along last years canes are not dead, but the leaves are sort of mishapen and not growing at a normal rate. I can see some flowers forming, but I imagine they will be more stunted as well. There is a lot of new, lush growth coming up from the bottom. It did this once before and I hated looking at a plant with a lot of semi bare canes sticking out for most of the summer.

Is it better that I cut off all the canes with the damaged buds and just let the new growth take over? And then I guess I should do a better job next year making sure it doesnt get nipped again. Ironically, the hydrangea near the house that I didn't cover came through without a bit of damage. This one is my problem child.

Thumbnail by Noreaster
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9128223

This year the strange weather may have been responsible. Only two of mine ended up looking more like yours and I just cut them back to a more attractive shape. Whether I lose blooms or not, I couldn't bear looking at them like that for the rest of the year.
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 18, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9128227

yeah, I used to not want to lose the flowers, but I hate those bare stems. I think I'll try living with it a few more weeks. Maybe if it warms up the new growth will come up high enough to hide more of them. So annoying!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #9128242

The bare stems were ruining my clematis photos so they had to go.

See what I mean?

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MaryK_38

(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2013
11:31 PM

Post #9601854

When should I trim my Oak leaf Hydrangeas?
luis_pr
Hurst, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2013
12:36 PM

Post #9603836

If you want to get blooms next year, prune after it has bloomed but before the end of June.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2013
1:37 PM

Post #9603891

Might as well stick your cuttings...
:)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hydrangeas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hydrangea Ayesha Roselaine 9 Jul 13, 2012 2:54 PM
Cutting Hydrangeas anastatia 2 Jul 31, 2007 9:43 PM
"Forever and Ever" Hydrangea toni5735 14 Dec 30, 2008 11:10 AM
I hope this works. Hydrangeas planted in a leaf mix... kbaumle 30 Apr 28, 2009 3:20 AM
How to winter over lace cap cuttings? kbaumle 10 Jan 13, 2008 6:47 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America