-
AuthorContent
DMurray407
Buffalo, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 18, 2012
9:02 PM

Post #9129126

About 10 years ago I planted some Siberian iris plants around a whiskey barrel fountain on the north side of my house. The area got some nice afternoon sun and the iris seemed happy and bloomed for me every year until the past 3 years or so when they just stopped blooming.. A nearby tree had started to shade the area a bit more, but that tree came down in a storm last year and I have quite a bit more sun almost everywhere in my yard (including where the iris live) I really love the combination of plants I have in that garden and would like to "revive" my irises, but for the past couple years they have just been clumps of very short (maybe 6" tall) thin leaves=no flowers at all.

I'm thinking that they were unhappy when the large tree was shading them so much -I'm thinking of digging those old clumps out (moving them to another area of my yard) and replacing them with new Siberian Iris plants. Can any of you iris experts tell me why my plants stopped thriving and if it would be OK to plant new ones in the same place?

Thanks so much!
Deb
mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL
(Zone 11)

May 19, 2012
2:01 AM

Post #9129220

Did you ammend the soil and fertilize each year? I usually fertilize monthly during growing season. The clumps do move upwards so you do have to keep replanting them deeper about every three years. I usually divide at that time.
DMurray407
Buffalo, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 19, 2012
12:36 PM

Post #9129676

Mine have moved up a bit-maybe an inch or so. Will that affect the bloom? Good point on the fertilizer (guilty!!). They just seemed to always do so well and then they just gave up the ghost. Maybe it's neglect...What kind of fertilizer do you recommend-10-10-10? I would be so happy if I could nurse them back to health.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

May 19, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9129927

Any fertilizer should be low in nitrogen. Do you divide the clumps? They bloom off the increase & may have no where to go.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2012
4:34 AM

Post #9130240

You might try Holly-tone fertilizer for 'acid loving' plants. Siberians prefer soil that is on the acidic side and so a fert for, say, azaleas or acid other lovers may help balance your soil in that direction and increase your bloom. And/or work in a compost-mulch of pine needles, etc. etc. if you want to go 'natural'.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2012
4:42 AM

Post #9130246

How about Japanese Iris and Hollytone?
Mine look good for leaf color until just a few weeks befor bloom.The leaves turn yellowgreen .I feed them every 3 weeks all season.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2012
4:44 AM

Post #9130248

Sounds to me like they need division. 10 years is about 5-6 years too long to wait to divide. Divide them, and put some fertilizer in the planting hole, 10-10-10 will be fine, but some Holly Tone as Tabasco says will be great. Sibs do well in neutral to acidic soil, so if other plants are growing well, the siberians should do well too.

You'll find when dividing that they grow rhizomes on top of each other as they multiply. You need to get the old dead rhizomes out. It's going to be a job.
mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL
(Zone 11)

May 20, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9130453

Hi, Polly! Want to do a road trip to Dana and Sylvia's?
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9130976

I've got a clump on the side of the house that I need to divide...my neighbor gave it to me as a smaller clump and it looked like a nightmare to divide then so I just plopped it in a hole and walked away. Blooming has ground to a halt over the years and this year only one flower has shown. Gotta break out the big shovel and break that mound loose and get to loosening up those poor rhizomes:lol:

Good timing for me to see this post--will amend soil while I've got things tore up.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9131037

Hi Mittsy,

Jo Ann and I just went today. Didn't this happen last year?

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2012
12:58 AM

Post #9131410

dmac065.Get the "sawsall" when you get the clump out of the ground.Siberians have very dense roots,almost impossible to divide by hand.
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9132601

That is good to know--thank you for the head's up! I guess that's why my neighbor gave them to me en mass:lol: Sort of looked like a big football shaped clump of dirt and intertwined roots.

pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9132657

Energy drink before, beer later, and you're all set.

Any idea which ones they are? I sure hope it's not one of the Caesars Bro group.

Seriously, don't get discouraged. That's what I do every day spring and fall.
mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL
(Zone 11)

May 22, 2012
4:20 AM

Post #9133082

I'd love to swap you 25 spring bulbs of narcissus and daffodils for a clump of your no name. siberians. My sister hadn't separated hers for 10 years and as they weren't blooming much, so she no longer wanted them. The bulbs are good sized, most bigger than a quarter. Some of the named ones are Salome, Ice Follies, and King Alfred. Would be happy to add some grape hyacinth and Star of Bethlehem if wanted.
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2012
1:11 AM

Post #9138977

Happy to send you some--not sure what they are--let me see if I can find a photo. They are purple and have 12-14 inch flower stalks when in bloom. I've got some coming from a clump sale soon so I suppose I better start making some room:lol:

I'll be in touch with you--most likely won't be messing with them until my next vacation in late June. Love daffs and would be interested in the grape hyacinth--haven't tried those before:)

Couldn't find a photo--sorry about that!
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2012
11:57 AM

Post #9140607

I'm never sure if mine are Japanese or Siberian, but they have the thicker midrib. 'When the clump in my somewhat shaded garden got to be too dense, we cut pieces out of it. I though my prince threw them away. In any case the following year we had irises by the Japanese maple. I don't remember planting the cut clumps anywhere in that garden, but again we have a ring of irises surrounded by a few that are a bit redder in color.

When the clumps get too tight, they cease to bloom. Give them a bit of space, and there is no stopping them. One thing puzzles me: I never planted that iris in with the Heuchera plants. The Queen Anne's Lace makes a home wherever it wants, but I certainly wasn't expecting to see this bloomin' iris

Thumbnail by cathy166
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9140738

The one pictured is a siberian, Cathy, and they do seed around.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2012
2:52 PM

Post #9140765

Thanks, Polly. I always can learn. I also have Ensatas. Are they the only Japanese Irises? They prefer a bit more moisture, and I don't remember if they were bulbs or plants when I put them in about 3 years ago. They are very pretty with rich, deep color..

Thumbnail by cathy166

pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2012
3:53 PM

Post #9140834

You bet we can, Cathy.

Ensatas are really the only irises referred to as Japanese iris. There is an iris japonica, but it's not hardy for us. It is sometimes also called Japanese iris. And you're right, they're the ones with the thicker midrib. They grow from rhizomes, like bearded irises.

The iris family is so varied and wonderful, isn't it.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9152008

Polly, is it usual for Ensatas to lose their pigments? I have never had white Ensatas, and these are the current blooms. I can tell by one of the new buds that there are still blue/royal purplish blooms to open.

Not only are these white irises bland, but they do not seem nearly as full (or pretty) as those from prior years. We have had very unusual weather since last October.

Thumbnail by cathy166

pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9152543

Cathy, I would wonder if that's not a seedling from a seed that dropped off another. Are the buds that look more purple on the same plant? And no, they can lighten up some, but not go totally white.
mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL
(Zone 11)

June 5, 2012
2:19 AM

Post #9152828

In 10 years a lot can happen! I recently purchased two unnamed siberian seedlings, no known parentage but I fell for them right away. Very different from each other but both special to me.

Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy
Click an image for an enlarged view.

mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL
(Zone 11)

June 5, 2012
2:22 AM

Post #9152830

pinky lavender, so pretty!

Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy

cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 10, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9159175

Well... The white Ensatas have dark friends, even though they don't look like the same variety. Somehow, the photos don't look exactly like last year's pix. Petals and falls are a bit different. But there are a few more coming. I don't always remember exactly which plant I photographed.

On the other hand, I was delighted to find this almost black iris starting to open mid-day yesterday. It is the first time this bed has bloomed and probably gets less sun than the other bed. It is probably a year younger than the others as well. It is in a spot that I protect somewhat so that there is no foot or hose traffic annoying it. I know I planted a dark red one here, so I'm hoping...

Thumbnail by cathy166   Thumbnail by cathy166

pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9159185

The one on the left is a Japanese (ensata), I don't know the name, and the one on the right is a Louisiana, probably Black Gamecock.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 10, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9159939

Thanks Polly. The one on the right is also supposed to be an Ensata, at least it came out of a package labeled Ensata. I've never seen it bloom before, but whatever it is, we are delighted. I googled Louisiana iris, and there is really a resemblance. I've certainly never seen anything like it in my yard.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9160439

It's definitely Black Gamecock, Cathy. You'll love it. Here it's a slow grower, but you're just a little warmer than we are, so you may need to divide it quite often. I bet you won't have any trouble finding homes for the divisions. :)
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 15, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9166586

Now that a reasonable amount of time has passed, the purple Ensatas from last year came up exactly as they did before. Therefore I am pretty certain the white and lavender Ensatas must be first time bloomers. Sometimes I feel silly...

The irises on the left are the Ensatas. The dark purple ( if you can see it) has just opened and is gorgeous. The white and lighter purple are the new ones. Guaranteed they were all planted at different times and were purchased separately, possibly from different vendors.

In the second photo, the rich colors are visible on the iris just opening.

Thumbnail by cathy166   Thumbnail by cathy166

pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9166867

Don't feel a bit silly. I think your irises are ganging up trying to confuse you, LOL. Very pretty!
Adobe_Rose
Boise, ID
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9190544

I learned something interesting about Siberians this year. They bloom when the soil temperature reaches 60 degrees and will quit blooming when the soil temperature gets above 68 degrees. You can extend the bloom by trying to keep the soil temp below 68 degrees.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Irises Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Irises forum dave 25 Jul 7, 2011 8:35 AM
autopsy photo! miss_kitty 10 Jun 11, 2013 1:18 PM
Another Iris? in need of identification mgh 33 Jul 6, 2007 10:03 PM
Trail Of Tears Iris starlight1153 15 May 2, 2010 6:44 PM
How to Hybridize Iris tazzy 23 Sep 18, 2007 1:25 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America