Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins: CLOSED: § 2012 RED, WHITE & BLUE§ Patriotic Showcase 1

Communities > Forums > Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins
bookmark
Forum: Group Trades, Swaps and Round RobinsReplies: 193, Views: 1,276
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2012
12:19 AM

Post #9129194

We came from here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1255544/

Let the packing begin! Hope you have plenty of bubble wrap for that precious breakable gifts.
Off to the post office swappers, starting June 8th.
Once you receive you patriotic goodies, please post a picture and I'll then put a :-) next to your name.

PARTICIPANTS:
Lizrainey------------------Liz :-)
BarefootT-----------------Thunder
Bettypauze---------------Betty
Seedtosser1-------------Judy
Taters55------------------LK
Abbisgranma------------Marion
Synda---------------------Synda
Samigal------------------Pegi
Oberon46----------------Mary
MonkeymomR----------Robyn
Robynznest-------------Robin :-)
Fruit of the Vine--------Susan
Jsxtiger-------------------Jax
warriorswisdomkathy--Kathy
Careyana-----------------Carey
Dahtzu--------------------Faye :-)
MudElf--------------------Kris :-)
Jordankittyjo-------------Sis Kathy
Purpbutfly----------------Cindy
Crit-------------------------Patti :-)
Happgarden-------------Joyce
Heavenscape------------Jaye

This message was edited Jun 6, 2012 11:06 AM

Thumbnail by heavenscape
Click the image for an enlarged view.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2012
1:03 AM

Post #9129200

Should any of you didn't get a name, please dmail me. I strive to be perfect, but most often I fail!

It's ARMED FORCES DAY today.
Thank you to all our men and women in uniform for keeping our flag flying proud and free.
And to their families, my appreciation for bearing the sacrifices made.

So, hug a soldier today... do something nice, like getting a cup of Joe via online. This is a legit site, (not promoting, just suggesting) http://www.greenbeanscoffee.com/coj/index.php
For only $2, you can buy a cup of coffee for a military personnel.
In turn, you'll get an email from that lucky soldier.

Kel was so thrilled to hear from a couple.

This message was edited May 19, 2012 4:07 AM

Thumbnail by heavenscape

lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 19, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #9129346

yaaay got my name!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 19, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9129347

I got my name too!

Jaye, I still get emails from two of the soldiers that got coffee. It is nice to hear from them.

purpbutfly

purpbutfly
(Cindy) Marysville, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 19, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9129382

Me too!! Thanks Jaye Girl!!!!

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9129498

That's great, isn't it LK?
The best part is, Paypal is allowed. Kel doesn't know it yet, but his allowance is reduced next week for a couple of soldiers!

Alrighty new signees, like Kathy, Robyn and Mary. Don't be intimidated if you see boxes moving fast. Some are veterans here and have already 'completed' their boxes aeons ago.
It helps too when they shop at "Name Your Price" stores!

Wear your pride always. Everyday is a good day to be an American!!!

Thumbnail by heavenscape

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 19, 2012
11:15 AM

Post #9129598

Jaye, you have Dmail...

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2012
11:29 AM

Post #9129633

Dmail's answered LK.

I think Jax and Sis Kathy would prefer Maxine's advice.

Thumbnail by heavenscape

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9129783

I hugged a Soldier today, not even realizing it is Armed Forces Day. Sat next to him and his family at lunch at Amanda's RU. Got to see some folks I know and enjoyed meeting others. It was a mighty fine gathering.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 19, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9129798

Glad you got the chance to hug a soldier, and have a good gathering! Any new plants at your home?

synda

synda
Carrollton, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9129799

Got my name ... So excited ,now to get a few personal item that I think she will like !!!!!!!!!

Here is a pic for all you quilters ~

Thumbnail by synda

purpbutfly

purpbutfly
(Cindy) Marysville, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 19, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #9129831

SYNDA!!! so good to see you here at DG, you don't come here often. But see you everyday on FB.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9129851

So Susan, did you acquire more plants? I'm sure there must be a large spread of great food as expected with any gathering.

Couple years back, we sat right across a uniformed man, eating lunch with this young kid. Kel was moved to pay for their meals, and came to find out that that was his last day, and he wanted to enjoy a good Chinese lunch with his kid before he returned to base and then assigned to Afghanistan. Kel regretted that he failed to get his email addy.

Cindy, have you seen Synda's postings lately on FB? She has been a very naughty gal!

How about a DIY RWB Button Bowl?

Thumbnail by heavenscape

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9129860

More plants? LOL, you really have to ask? And think everyone was pleased with their lunch plates. I know I was with a big hunk of meatloaf and veggies. Loved seeing everybody, but it really made my day Faye and Ray were able to attend!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 19, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9129882

Sure hope you gave them hugs from all of us?

Love that button bowl!

purpbutfly

purpbutfly
(Cindy) Marysville, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 19, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9129888

LOL Jaye, yes I have, and when I make a comment she replies LMAO!!!! :-)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 19, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9129923

Newbie or not, my box went out this afternoon on it's way south. Just been waiting for my partner's name.
Mary

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9129932

NM..
Chaotic mind just can't keep things straight.. ever had one of those nights?

Way to go Mary!!

Aww Susan, did you give Faye lots of hugs and Ray a kiss on his cheek?

This message was edited May 19, 2012 8:50 PM
Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 19, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9129981

Got to gather up my RW&B and then add to it for my buddy. I just hope I don't procrastinate on this like I do on so many things.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9129991

You'll do fine, Pegi. Think last year I beat Marion's record of being late! Lolol! Thank God we have very trusting swappees here.
Hmm.. you're better at spelling then I am. I can't even spell 'procrastinate' right 99% of the time.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9130056

Jayebird, The first person I saw in the banquet room was Faye. We gave each other big hugs and kisses on the cheek and I gave them to Ray too. He said our Blessing as lunch was served. All of us gave each other hugs in the parking lot before we left. It was such a great gathering, and was a picture-perfect day. I hated to leave!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9130057

I still have shopping to do. Yikes! I'm hoping I'll find some great stuff tomorrow.

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 20, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9130360

im here

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2012
6:29 AM

Post #9130372

Susan, I'm sure you never thought that you'd develop a real life friendship with online friends. Dave's Garden has certainly given me a treasure trove of wonderful real life relationships. Our common thread, is not the gardening, but in humanity.
Thus said, what Faye and Ray are going through, we are all genuinely praying the best for them.

And you and Darwin as well, Pegi (((((Hugs)))))

Carey, hope you find some good sales!

Ahh finally some blue in my garden. Your invasive, but I love them, spiderwort! (think that's it?)

Thumbnail by heavenscape   Thumbnail by heavenscape
Click an image for an enlarged view.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 20, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9130416

Beautiful blooms Jaye!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 20, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #9130499

ilove spiderwort !! It grows here there everywhere, all over the yard. some gets run over when lawn gets mowed, but it always comes back :)

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2012

Post #9130951

I'm tired of all the spiderwort coming up where I don't want it and not coming up where I want it.

Pictures below are Blytheville AR AFB 50th reunion. B-52 Bomber replica and letting loose 50 dove in honor of all those that served. The replica is on a memorial of some of the Bomber Squadron that didn't make it back the Blytheville. My DH is the first one on the left in the picture of the four men.

Thumbnail by Robynznest   Thumbnail by Robynznest   Thumbnail by Robynznest   Thumbnail by Robynznest   Thumbnail by Robynznest

synda

synda
Carrollton, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2012
9:29 PM

Post #9131349

Cindy I was taught there is a time and a place to act like a lady and a if you don't have something nice to say ,keep quiet ...LOL , DG is a place to conduct myself as a lady and right now I have a lot of unkind words to spit at my family and by far feel like presenting myself in a lady-like manner at any time these days...LOL .Maybe after Tuesday I will be able to be my old happy self ...fingers,toes and knees crossed and a lot of prayers. My youngest brother is taking my step dad to court for guardianship of my momma since my step dad is tired of tending to her and there is a lot of neglect ,the hearing is supposed to be Tuesday .But it has already been rescheduled twice ,but hopefully this time it will go on and my brother can get guardianship so she can be taken care of properly !!! My step dad is fighting it ,not because he cares but because he doesn't want to lose her social security check (his words) and he's afraid he'll get in a lot of trouble for not tending to her (she almost died in January from him not feeding her and not tending to skin infections that made her septic) and stealing my grandparents farm from my momma (70 acres) and "giving" it to "his" daughter.Plus a large sum of money is gone from the mineral rights being paid around here from the farm...that could of been used to make mommas life more comfortable !!!!! So Cindy my poor girl I have so neglected you ,even on FB .Please forgive me !! But now at least you have the mini version of what has been going on and the naughty ,not so lady-like Synda on FB ...

But aside from my family issues,Rick and I have been to see a surgeon last Monday.
Last November they found a lump in my breast and after a biopsy they found it to be non-cancerous as of yet. But since I was soooooooooo graciously endowed and a lump is something that would be a constant worry and have to be checked every 6 months and I have sooooooo much back pain the doctors and Rick and I have opted to get the lump removed and get a reduction all at once.Now setting back and waiting for the insurance approval.The surgery will cost around $8000 and I have to come up with the $500 out of pocket deductible and 20% of the balance 3 weeks before surgery once the insurance approve it . I'll be in the hosp over night to two days and then 6 weeks of doing literally Nothing,not allowed to even raise my arms to wash my own hair or ride the bike.The doctor said he'll go as small as possible without any damage.Thank God Rick is so good to me and will tend to my needs !!!!!!! But at least for once in my life I'll be able to buy a bra at a reasonable price and will be PERKY again ...LOL .And I won't look like a seal when I try and clap my hands ...LOL !!!

Anyone talking to Faye ,Please tell her and Ray I am sending my Prayers !!!!!

Jaye love the blooms ,spiderwort is one of my great loves I don't think you can ever have enough !!!!

Robyn it looks like it was a lovely reunion !!! I would of love to have seen all those white doves being released !!!!!!!!! And your DH is a very fine looking fella,you are quite blessed !

Pics
1. Purple Butterfly Kisses Cindy
2.Hopefully a Celebration Cocktail after court on Tuesday
3.Showing my Love for the USA
4.And last but not least ,trying to not be a chicken about joining the Itty Bitty Committee ...LOL (Surgery doesn't scare me ,the BIG ouchy I will have is a whole nother story)

Thumbnail by synda   Thumbnail by synda   Thumbnail by synda   Thumbnail by synda

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 20, 2012
10:23 PM

Post #9131382

Synda, you have so much on your plate, so sorry for all the issues you are going through. Glad to see you still find time for the RW&B swap. My thoughts will be with you.

synda

synda
Carrollton, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2012
10:42 PM

Post #9131391

Pegi ,Thank You so much ... I have veered away from DG because sometimes it just is so hard to come up with the words ,but with a grateful nudge from someone (not mentioning any names) I am so thankful that I have joined RW&B Swap also ,I am finding it to be a great distraction from all the chaos !!!!!

Thumbnail by synda

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2012
5:31 AM

Post #9131531

Sorry to hear your going through so much Synda! ((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))) We will say our prayers for you, that everything in court and the hospital will turn out good for you!

purpbutfly

purpbutfly
(Cindy) Marysville, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 21, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9131682

Oh ((((((Synda))))) I am so sorry you are going through all this. The issues with your mom has got to be tearing you apart. I know how close you are to your momma and having to see her get treated like that is WRONG. I pray your brother gets guardianship of your mom. And you have not neglected me, I just miss your witty comments and pics that you post.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9131755

Robin, did some of the casualties' family members show up at the reunion? It would be something to bring home with, memories of what their beloved ones' went through, and they'd be proud and honored for the sacrifices.
Thanks for sharing that with us.

Synda, you know me. I'm for justice, and I'm mighty teed off that man that's taken his vows to love and cherish his wife in sickness will be so quick as to want to get rid of her. He must not have watched that ID shows and notice that you don't get away with wrongful death, especially with motives!
Who is he to play God? God sees all, and your step dad will be answering to him
Hope today is a good day for you.

I have my box partially ready. I'm sure many here think.. ahh.. Jaye will be sewing something for her buddy. You know you're right!!
But what? That's the dilemna going through my head right now!
So today, I'll be pondering what won't require much ripping if I were to make mistakes!!

Thumbnail by heavenscape

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9131764

Big BIG HUGS to you Synda (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9132097

Head down and sad look on face!!! Is my dear, sweet sistah inferring that I am late with swaps? Oh well, if the shoes fit...

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2012
11:56 AM

Post #9132100

what size shoe?
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #9132104

LOL at this point just about any size!!!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2012
12:10 PM

Post #9132119

OH, Well!!!I missed out but may I watch to see what you all get????
I know it is going to be fun...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9132210

Well Marion, anything worth waiting for is worth the time, right?
Go ahead and reclaim that title!! Lol!!

Charleen, put in on next year's calendar. Not to miss another RWB! You and Charley hang around please.
It's always good to see a patriotic mule.

Thumbnail by heavenscape

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 21, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9132281

drats, no USA goodies to be found, oh yeh, I'm in Canada and July 1st is Canada Day that is why all the red maple leafs are out..hmm gor to find something.

synda

synda
Carrollton, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9132306

Thank You all for all the hugs and prayers... each and every one of you are so special to me !!!! It is so reassuring just knowing you all are here ,even if I'm just lurking and not talking ♥

~ Happy Victoria Day Betty ~

Thumbnail by synda

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 21, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #9132364

Thank you Synda, weather was I'm mid 80's..they should make a law you can't work from sunrise to sunset..if I ever talk about adding more gardens smack me one won't you

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9132371

No.. Betty, Elvis wouldn't want us to smack his #1 fan. Instead he'd suggest to tie you down until summer goes away!!

Thumbnail by heavenscape

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 21, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9132395

Ohhh. Elvis festival

http://collingwoodelvisfestival.com/2011/2011/07/2011-results/

Won't be missing it, at least I hope not! Heading to music row in Nasville/Bealle Street in Memphis and Bourbon Street in New Orleans about same date..lots of partying and it's right about same date..other than cloning myself trying to figure out how to do both!! Lol

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9132400

lol Jaye. Betty I'll smack you if you'll smack me for doing the same thing.

Thanks Synda, I did get lucky 35 years this June 11. Good luck to you on all accounts. My DD had the reduction done about 2 years ago. It sure helped her, I hope I can get it done someday soon. The well endowed is not all it's cracked up to be.

One of the fathers came Jaye and he was such a sweet fantastic guy, he told us stories from his days at the base back in the 50's. He entertained us for a couple of hours. He said everything was made easier for him because of all the companionship of the Air Force buddies that came. I still cry when I see these pictures. My DH was in from 61-65, that was during the Bay of Pigs or what some call the Cuban Crisis. His bomber squadron was on high alert when Kennedy was shot. He didn't do any of the flying he was the one that sent the planes up. Scary times when we lost Kennedy.

Anyway I got all my RWB stars up on the house today and will work on getting more of my stuff from past RWB swaps out this week to be ready for the big weekend down here.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9132614

Oh Betty, that's your annual pilgrimage!! Elvis festival!
Nothing will hold my sistah back when it comes to that! I know you'll have a good time, Betty's style.

Robin, I bet that father's emotions was high that day being surrounded by familiar talk and able to relate his time spent at the base.
Your DH's job is equally as important as the top ranked officer in the air force.
Bay of the Pigs.. think USA learnt a lot from that..

Thumbnail by heavenscape

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9132800

Thanks for pointing me to the new room Jaye. Boy, do I have A LOT of reading to catch up on.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9133187

Good morning everyone.
Glad you found your way here, Patti. If not we might have to send Charley to fetch you!

It's Tuesday, and Synda, may the Lord works what's best for your mother. And the offer still stands, if you need an alibi, you know who to call!

Last night, I popped in a dvd, trying to put me to sleep. Remembering last year, when Robin had posted a John Wayne patriotic speech, I chose "Rio Lobo".
Haven't seen it in years!! Yep, instead of nodding off, I was glued to the screen!

I know I am destined to be an American though born on foreign soil. Made up my mind when when I was 5. My parents thought it was cute at that time.
My Singapore grandad was a clerk in the American Embassy and he exude American, even his speech is flawless American, not British English!
He brought me to Elvis movies. Imagine a 12 year old
grandaughter who had the privilege to be escorted by her grandad to her first Jazz concert? Wow man.. it was Dave Brubeck!
It's not the popular American culture that made me WANT to be an American.It's the FREEDOM! Our political arena may turn into a circus (it's like that in every country), but we all are granted freedom to express oneself and to practise our chosen religion without fear of govt. persecution.
And ladies, the most precious gift all countries should have. The people's freedom to vote.

Here's a rendition of John Wayne's pledge of allegiance.
When I took my oath during the citizenship ceremony, tears streamed down my face.

Never thought that the Lord made my wish come true in my adult life!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OuIBUZ2rgo

Happy shopping ladies. Don't be intimidated if someone gets a box this week. There are a couple of patriots here who are 2 years ahead!!

This message was edited May 22, 2012 9:07 AM

Thumbnail by heavenscape

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9133215

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzBp8GyNilI&feature=related Here is another John Wayne video!

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9133240

Downloading that one, LK! Thanks!

Thumbnail by heavenscape

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9133415

Those are two of my favorites. I keep them on my desktop and listen to them loads of times.

Awww, Jaye, you are an American through and through no matter where you were born. I'm proud to call you a fellow American, compatriot and friend. BTW, Rio Bravo is my favorite John Wayne movie. I remember when John Wayne was on the Dean Martin Variety Show and he talked about his daughter and what he wanted for her. It was more important to him that she learn the Lord's Prayer than the Gettisburg address, but if I remember right he also said he wanted her to respect what that meant, freedom. and to uphold all those who serve our country.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 22, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9133474

http://media-cache8.pinterest.com/upload/35958496995160909_Iw15MR3N_b.jpg
Jaye, I found you some biscuits...I know you will like them...I pinned it this morning...

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9134300

Thank you Robin, for those precious words.
To be called a fellow American is an honour!! Time for Betty to drop Canadian citizenship and land on our side!! (teasing there)
I need to get more of John Wayne, including Big Jake. Do you know he's a popular movie star too in South East Asia? The locals treated him like a king when he visited some countries.

Yummy Charleen!! Of course I love USA biscuits!! Thank you!
Photo is what Charleen's referring to. :-)

Thumbnail by heavenscape

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9134425

I've got most all the JW movie westerns, I like a few of his war ones too. Like on the screen he gives off a BIG personality. I got to meet him one time back when I was traveling with my ex in Colorado. I was so flummoxed about him sitting next to me all I could do was cry. What can I say I was 19 at the time. (probably would do the same at this age too, lol).

Great looking biscuits Charleen.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2012
8:01 PM

Post #9134460

those biscuits are making me hungry !!!

sewing in Red, White, and Blue...is a favorite thing for me to do...:-)

Thumbnail by barefootT

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 23, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9134856

Stunning Thunder..I'm always in awe of your creativity!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 23, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9134929

Always Beautiful!!!!!

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9134984

Good day ladies.
Thunder, your work constantly amazes me. I bet there's not enough space in your house to display all your beautiful quilts that you've made.

How exciting Robin! To have met 6' 6" John Wayne. That man seems so godlike and that's why you're overwhelmed!
The only star I've met was a talk show host, Erin DeGeneris, in New Orleans :( Nothing to brag about! Wish it's JW or George Clooney! Lol!

Come on ladies, chant USA, USA when you're out looking for your buddy. A patriotic angel might just help you in your shopping!

Thumbnail by heavenscape

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9135862

I look at the quilting and realize how much I miss it, sob, sob...

Synda..just love tha RWB quilt, alot of work but a true beauty...Is that paperpeicing?

Thunder...how are you going to finish that top? Just beautiful...

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9135928

trying to decide what to use for sashing...I always agonize over such things...
I have blocks form a few different swaps, that I will use for the reverse side...so in the end it will be reversible, Red, White, and Blue, full of love from a bunch of great quilting buddies :-)

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2012
9:08 PM

Post #9136090

A light border will allow the quilt to go on, but a dark border will frame it and stop it from going on to infinity. Or atleast so I was taught. I like that mid blue in the mid-bottom block, very pretty, and not too busy. Going to tie or quilt?

You gals are making me want to quilt again, lol...but I have sooo much planting to do yet. Anyone ever do any thread painting or fabric painting?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 24, 2012
3:39 AM

Post #9136216

Fabric painting...

Those photo's remind me, must het some red/white/blue plants done in a container for the gathering..must make everyone feel at home, besides, would compliment all my swap goodies from years gone by...few of the items stay out year round.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 24, 2012
3:55 AM

Post #9136223

Thought I'd go take a photo

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2012
4:22 AM

Post #9136239

Never tried fabric painting.

Betty, that setting is so pretty, and inviting!

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9136392

Betty, you're breaking my heart!! I won't be hugging you this year and neither would Kel have that opportunity to chat with you in that secret garden. I know your garden and home will be more than pleasing to your guests, as I had said, you need to be featured in BHG. But your hospitality is truly exceptionally warm, according to the ones that have been to your home.
There's always Marion's next year to catch up on lost hugs!

Kathy, I tend to break most of the quilting rules!! My borders are chosen whatever makes me happy, not what would mesh with the blocks! So you can say my quilts have a tendency to go on and on.. or sometimes run away!
Come on Kathy, return to quilting! It's a good tonic for your sanity!

No fabric painting here neither. Unless you'd count painting on tshirts.

Another day for shopping. If you intend to do it online, HURRY. Most online sites take their time in mailing out!

Maybe my buddy can send me this?

This message was edited May 24, 2012 10:20 AM

Thumbnail by heavenscape

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 24, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9136397

I know, I'm heartbroken that you/Kel and Lindakay cannot make it..I just booked a day on Georgian Bay, my Foxy Lady just won't accommodate the numbers so we have water taxi's..going to tour the bay and then go to the all you can eat "Henry's at FryingPan Bay as my treat to all attending..will give them a good idea of my beloved Georgian Bay..I'm not counting anyone out yet..keep asking the Lord to make it possible..

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9136411

Jaye, I would like to add a picture of my red white and blue tire planters!

Thumbnail by taters55

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9136432

Aww Betty, you're keeping the faith for us :-). Kel's never been on a boat, would you believe that? That would be an experience for sure.

Awesome LK, awesome.
Am wondering if I would still be a citizen if the flag would have some pink in it? Hmmm.. that's a very scary thought!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 24, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9136447

Now that is Patriotic Lindakay...watch us all go and look for tires..lol bet it's eyecatching when all the plants have matured!!!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9136453

I think my next one will have more draping plants. Will have to go shopping and see what I can find!
Just make sure you get the fusion paint, made just for plastics. It took one whole can per tire! But I painted the side that is on the ground, and you don't need to do that!

This message was edited May 24, 2012 10:04 AM

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 24, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9136554

Lots of paint, but then a big project!!!

I can see potato vine, licorice and something with miniature flowers in them..

synda

synda
Carrollton, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #9136817

OMG Betty I just Love,Love ,Love the Dragonfly Window !!!!!! You have talent that just runs off of the map !!!!!

Linda Kay the tires are awesome.I have a friend that has a tire business and may do some next year.

Court was VERY tiring ,lasted over 4 1/2 hours, the courthouse even closed before we were done.Now doing the waiting game on the judges verdict !!!!!!

Kathy I am NOT a quilter by any means :o ( ,it's just a picture of a beautiful quilt I found online ...

Here is another picture that was found online ,but this one I may actually try and attempt to make ...LOL

Thumbnail by synda

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 24, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #9136843

Try this again, went and posted photo of Red/White/Blue on incorrect thread ooops

using back side of linoleum for a Red/White/Blue floormat

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9136891

Betty, you need to do an online tutorial on those rugs! They look really nice, and you say they last a long time?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 24, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9136982

almoSt indestructible LindaKay..have one under my dining room table, on 3 decks, have smaller ones at the doors..what is nice is being able to match your decor..didn't I do a tutorial a few years back?? Remember taking photo's of every step??

Was wonderful when Barb and Norm were here last fall, Barb and I were doing crafts, told Norm he wasn't just sitting looking handsome so had him make one for Barb..he got such a kick our of it. Lol

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9137106

I don't recall it betty, but if you find a link, I would love to give it a try!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9137193

thanks Y'all I am thinking I will go back to the store and look for more of the white with red and blue stars, it is in the center block, bottom row...would like that for sashing, then probably a blue with stars for the border?? and I am pondering red and white stripe for binding?? blocks will be quilted, by machine. I have two that I am working on quilting by hand...been at them both for wayyyy tooooo loonngggg...

Betty, I also love , love , ,love that dragonfly hanging!!!

Jaye, is that a camaro??? i want one too!!!!

only fabric painting I have done has been on t-shirts, and on pants / shorts that I used to make for my boys, and for their friends. no thread painting either.

bought a book not to long ago, called divide and conquer, tells a few different ways to divide a quilt into pieces to be able to machine quilt more easily...gonna try one to quilt the RWB blocks, a different kind of quilt as you go...

I vote a big BIG YES for tutorial on those rugs / mats !!!! don't recall ever seeing one

would be neat to make a tire wall / fence and fill with plants :) great way to recycle. I can remember seeing junk yards just absolutely full of tires...

Thumbnail by barefootT

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 24, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9137198

Your. Tatoo is precious Thunder! But then how could the Queen of R/W/B be anything but.

That's how I did the king size quilt Thunder, in sections..you would never know it wasn't done inone piece..

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9137255

Wow I got behind not being since Tues.

Jaye, Clooney would work for me too, or Sean Connery.

LK, I like your tires, I have 6 painted and my daughter is bringing me another 6 hopefully this weekend. I do have R/W/B tires too. I haven't got them in place yet where I want them Hopefully I can at least get it started this weekend.

Beautiful quilt Thunder, love it. I was thinking sawtooth border RWB repeated.

Betty, every thing you do is so admired and wanted by all of us.

Eyes are bothering me tonite so Synda if I get this wrong please forgive. Your pic looks like a yummy pie, good luck and praying the judges make the right decision.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9137305

Keep the prayers going that by some miracle I will be able to make it!!! I don't see it happening, but God is in charge so we shall see. :-)
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 24, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9137405

i got my box oh mary thank you so much i love it too cute!

Thumbnail by lizrainey

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 24, 2012
9:02 PM

Post #9137494

I am glad you like it. I thought it was adorable and could think of so many uses for it.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9137805

Wow!! Mary, you're on the ball.
First name on the board gets the first gift! Thanks Mary.

Liz, that's a mighty handsome garden gnome.
I can think of one good use. Tell Kenny that if he misbehave, his behind would be feeling that wheelbarrow!
Liz, did you make that patchwork quilt in the background? Don't know you're into quilting as well.

Yep, Betty's ultra talented Synda. That linoleum is beautiful Betty. I recalled one year you've asked me whether a certain mat looks alright, and my eyes failed to catch the misspelling, but you thank God, had!! Lol..

Patti, I hope you can make it to Betty's.

Thunder, yes it's a Camarro!!! AMERICAN made of course!
Like Betty, I finished some quilts in sections too.. yep.. not the normal block by block QAYG.
Except for the last border and binding. That got to be a continous finish for me.

Robin, what a great suggestion for Thunder! Saw tooth border or a spacer type border http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/techniques/finishing/spacer-borders_2.html
Yes to Sean Connery too. I couldn't get enough of his 007 movies when I was a kid.

Back to gnomes, Kel just reminded me that I have a large collection of Tom Clark gnomes that stand besides some frogs indoors!

This message was edited May 25, 2012 9:56 AM

Thumbnail by heavenscape

lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 25, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #9137851

good idea Jaye! he is always up to something lol

no i got that at a estate sale got to finish it, i do quilt but i start noising around and see different patterns and start lots of projects but never finish but im working on that!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9137945

Love that garden gnome Liz! He is so cute!

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 25, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9137954

i didnt get no pressie :(

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9137963

Happy Memorial Day everyone!

Thumbnail by taters55

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9137977

If you have UFOs (unfinished quilts as they're called) you're certainly a normal quilter Liz! Lol!!

Sis Kathy, don't hurry perfection :P The mailing out date is two weeks from now.
You must have sent out your buddy's huh?

Thumbnail by heavenscape

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9137985

Happy Memorial Day everyone!

Salute to those who serve, and to their families too.
Our freedom hinges on their sacrifice.

Thumbnail by heavenscape

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2012
1:28 PM

Post #9138367

Happy Memorial Day to everyone. God Bless Everyone and especially all who serve now and all those that served in the past. Please God, pass along big Hugs and Thanks to all who gave their lives for our freedom.

Thumbnail by Robynznest   Thumbnail by Robynznest   Thumbnail by Robynznest

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9138398

Robyn, what do you put on the back of your plates to hold the rebar? They are so pretty!

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9138778

Thanks, LK. I used hockey pucks . I drill out the hole then kind of warble the edge a little cause when you pound on the stakes it puts a sharp edge on the rebar so it helps to get it started into the hole. I used E6000 on the puck and before I stick it on the plate I put an outdoor clear silicone for the outside edge so the glue isn't compromised.
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2012
11:11 PM

Post #9138929

I'm going to be a last minute sender. We are going to the county fair on the 3rd and I want to wait until after that to make sure I don't miss something that must go in the box. For some reason, the stores here still don't have alot of RWB stuff. Hope they get one the ball soon.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 26, 2012
5:52 AM

Post #9139075

Thanks for the info Robyn!

I may have to send two boxes, if I don't stop picking up RWB items!

This message was edited May 26, 2012 7:52 AM

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 26, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9139116

Is it coming Cross the border LindaKay?? Lol

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 26, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9139160

Now you know I can't spoil the fun Betty!

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9139187

Thanks for being in the spirit, and sharing Robin. What a window treatment!
Pegi (Samigal) has been recommending E6000 too for gluing strength.

Robyn, you're not alone. Every swaps have those last minute senders! I'm guilty of that, and I'm the hostess... right Betty ?
Hope you'd find the perfect gift for your buddy.

Ahh, part of the joy of being an addicted swapper like LK here. Always finding more stuffs to include and worry about packaging later!!

Darn right Betty. LK doesn't have to tell you anything, knowing you, a list has already been started and you had crossed out Mary's name!!

Good Saturday to be out there shopping ladies.
May the RWB force be with you!

Thumbnail by heavenscape

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 26, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9139524

Y'all are chatterboxes! I think I'm finally caught up.

Blessed Memorial Day to all. Please remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice, and those who are still with us.

Thumbnail by careyana

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9139638

Special rememberance to those MIAs.

It's been one busy day in town today. Bikes, bikes everywhere. It's Memorial Bikers' Weekend at Myrtle Beach, and many go through this town.
Lola, doesn't care for the sound of any bike, and she kept growling all the time she was in the truck! That chi was ready to attack any burly biker!
Unfortunately, it's not a Harley Davidson rally, and we see many 'rice burners'. Good thing that there are made in USA Hondas!

Hope everyone have a safe weekend and if you're bbqing brisket, save some for me!

Thumbnail by heavenscape

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9139693

One of our dear neighbors is a WWII Veteran and also has a birthday next week. Yesterday I made a Strawberry Shortcake for him, sugar & fat free. Now the trick is keeping hubby out of it until tomorrow. He's already eaten 1/2 the one I made for him at the same time.

Loving all the RWB pics!

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #9139704

Your neigbour is very blessed to have you for a neighbour. Has he shared his war experience with you, Susan?
I love to listen to veterans' stories. Many of these WW2 vets will share.
Unfortunately, my ex who served 2 tours in Vietnam pretty much clammed up each time I asked. He'd only talk to other Vietnam vets.

I hope your DH rewarded you with more plants for all that baking you did!

Thumbnail by heavenscape

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 26, 2012
4:33 PM

Post #9139716

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1261043/

New swap just opened, come and check it out! Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue!

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #9140478

Hope everyone's having a good celebration today, even you Betty.

This picture is all wrong!!
Look at the only man standing to show some respect to our servicemen in the parade. And he's in a wheelchair!

Thumbnail by heavenscape

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #9140480

And this cartoon says a lot.

Thumbnail by heavenscape

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 27, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #9140609

Pretty sad how they ge no respect!
I personally salute each and everyone, as well as give my thanks to them!

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9140853

There was this guy, whom I met at WM. He's 85 looking for some upholstery fabric. He's a friendly chap, and started asking where I'm from.
Turned out his curiosity was because he thought I'm from the Phillipines. He was there for WW2.
I shook his hand, LK. Thanked him, and it kinda surprised the young sales girl whom I'm sure had never met a WW2 vet.
I hope she learnt the value of a soldier's sacrifice.

Thumbnail by heavenscape

synda

synda
Carrollton, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9140942

This weekend is very busy for Rick and my Brother Shawn (the GOOD Brother) ,Rick has been getting the fire trucks all polished up pretty for the parade tomorrow and Shawn is head of the Veterans Administration here so he has had to go to all of the graves and put Flags and then had meetings at the VFW and he did a tour in Iraq. And on top of all that Rick and Shawn built my niece Whitney a chicken coop for her 4-H chickens .

May you all have a very Safe and Happy Holiday Weekend ~ ♥

Thumbnail by synda   Thumbnail by synda   Thumbnail by synda   Thumbnail by synda   Thumbnail by synda

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9140968

Your WM still has a fabric department? The powers-that-be did away with ours when the store was 'improved'. Now the space where it used to be is full of more electronics. It's always a pleasure talking to my elders, not family since they're gone, but neighbors and the kind gent you met.

Oh I got weepy just watching the opening ceremony of tonight's race in Charlotte. It was quite touching with an enormous Flag unfurled and every branch of our Military present. I looked at the young soldiers and thought how they're fighting for me and our freedom. If you missed it, Darrell Waltrip said the prayer, bagpipers from one of the local fire departments played 'Amazing Grace', then a trumpeteer gave a rendition of 'Taps' followed by a presentation of arms, and Darius Rucker sang our National Anthem. I was a goner at Amazing Grace since that was my Mom's favorite hymn and the only song we sang at her graveside service.

My Dad was a WWII Vet and served in the Pacific Arena in Japan on a tiny ship where he was the cook and one of the look-out men at night.

synda

synda
Carrollton, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9140979

~ ♥ ~

Thumbnail by synda   Thumbnail by synda   Thumbnail by synda   Thumbnail by synda   Thumbnail by synda

purpbutfly

purpbutfly
(Cindy) Marysville, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 27, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9141020

Fruity,

There are two WM here and both of them have their fabric department. I was told by a lady who worked in one that if "your" WM got enough protests they would keep them open. The only other fabric store is JoAnn's.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9141058

Happy Birthday, Cindy! I hope it was a good day for you. The closest JoAnn's or any similar craft / fabric store is almost an hour away, no matter which direction, and is just one of the many pitfalls living in the boonies.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

purpbutfly

purpbutfly
(Cindy) Marysville, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 27, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9141081

Thanks Fruity :-)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 27, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9141091

Our Wal Mart got rid of the fabric dept, but brought it back a few months ago. Not a huge selection, but better than nothing!

This message was edited May 27, 2012 9:18 PM

synda

synda
Carrollton, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 28, 2012
8:08 AM

Post #9141624

Soldier, Stand At Ease
There must be a special place in heaven,
where young and brave men go.
Who have found “a soldier’s resting place
beneath a soldier’s blow.”

A place where Napoleon’s cavalry
still proudly guards the flanks,
and drummers sound the victory roll,
as they pass solemnly through the ranks.

Their campfires are a million stars,
that shine throughout the night.
Where they sit cross legged and proudly tell,
the tale of their last fight.

Their tales would make a strong man weep,
but to them each tale doth please.
For a comrade has borne his Final pain,
and now may stand at ease.
-------------------------------------
Written by Mark Hamilton, West Point Class of ‘67
upon the death of my beloved cousin,
Lt. Swante A. Swenson, killed in action in
Vietnam, January 11, 1968.

Thumbnail by synda

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9141635

Thank you for sharing the pictures Synda. Thank your brother for his great service in Iraq for us, please.
May Rick's fire truck be the best looking one, and draw squeals from the crowd!
Thanks for the poem...

Susan, I'd be a basket case for that grand patriotic display. Amazing Grace is one of tune that would just make me tear up.
Our WM's fabric dept. had been restored again. Bigger and hence more to choose from. It also carries an array of high cost quilting fabric. Like Cindy said, if there's enough complains, it will return.
This area (the boonies) need a fabric store. Joann's, Hancock's and Hobby Lobby are two hours drive!!

May today be a pleasant day for your Memorial Parade.

This message was edited May 28, 2012 11:23 AM

Thumbnail by heavenscape

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #9142104

Sorry I missed your birthday Cindy, hope you had a good one.

We finally got a Joanns down in our area, instead of driving 90 miles to get to one I only have to drive 60 and through the worst, most annoying tourist area on top of it all. Guess I'm stuck with Walmart or the long drive.

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #9142113

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn_iz8z2AGw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhGuhfBk5xk&feature=related

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 28, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9142359

I will be bringing a box to the PO tomorrow...

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 28, 2012
9:46 PM

Post #9142612

Here's one I made 15 years ago, (lol, but I am thinking it's the only one that is RWB). Attempted to get ya all a great pix today, I goofed tho, sorry. I was only about 30 miles from PIKE'S PEAK and took several photos. But I must have goofed as they weren't there when I was downloading. I will try again!!!!! Good thing I live close by, lol.

Happy birthday Cindy

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9142929

Good morning.
Hope you ladies have the perfect Memorial weekend!

Robin, I always love the sound of bagpipes. That's an awesome rendition of Amazing Grace, sistah! Thank you.

Kathy, you got me drooling with that beautiful piece of work. Simply lovely. Love the design. Is it a table topper or a wall hanging? Absolutely patriotic!
Thank you for sharing. Again, you should resume quilting, we'll definitely learn something from you :-)

In the picture, were Thunder's (BarefootT) gifts to Pegi (Samigal) last year. In the background, she had made a beautiful quilted RWB table runner!

While on the subject of quilting, it's ripping day for me today. Had machine quilted a design on one row and I stayed awake last night, regretting what I had done!
Plus it's such a beautiful day outside, perfect for playing in the garden and not to be confined indoors!

Enjoy your Tuesday fellow patriots!

Thumbnail by heavenscape

purpbutfly

purpbutfly
(Cindy) Marysville, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 29, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9142958

Thanks Robyn and Kathy!!:-)

My buddies package is ready to go...will get it in the in the morning

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 29, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9143775

My RWB box is on its way!

Hope my buddy is ready to receive! :D
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9143851

Gosh..all these boxes going out and just as I think I have mine, I go to Cracker Barrel today..boy what beauties.
hugs to all of you.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9143871

We will be expecting pictures soon!! Hopefully before the week's over.

Didn't do anything to get my RWB box taped and mail ready. There's still space in the box!
I'm unfortunately not like some patriots here who are reknowned for their efficiency.
Always the last minute one.. guess I live on stress!! Lol.

Fruit pizza for supper, anyone? According to the recipe, just roll out cookie dough to fit a pizza pan. Bake the giant cookie, let it cool then cover it with cream cheese or Cool Whip. Add fruits.
I had made one using Pillsbury brand Sugar Cookie dough.

Thumbnail by heavenscape

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2012

Post #9143877

Waving to Faye!!! Cracker Barrel is one great stop indeed for nice gifts! You practically have to bring along a banker when you shop there!

Thumbnail by heavenscape

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 29, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9143879

Closest cracker barrel is 150 from here. That is a good thing!

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505245_162-57442698/radioactive-bluefin-tuna-crossed-the-pacific-to-us/

Please be careful of the fresh tuna you consume. It is radio active. Especially on the west coast!

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9143896

Wow! I love tuna, only when it's grilled. Guess I'll stick to the canned ones.
Thanks LK.

Thumbnail by heavenscape

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 29, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9143980

*gulp* I wonder if the fatty tuna sushi that I happily devoured in San Francisco was a culprit? 8(

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 29, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9144053

box is on the way

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 29, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9144153

Heavenscape...thanks for the compliment. I love quilting but I need to get plants in the ground Now!!!! Lol. I have been plant shopping so no goofing off for me, phooey!!!! Plus I have trades showing up almost weekly. Maybe this winter...hope, hope...

Here's another that I did about the same time...was a gift to my future son-in-law at the time. The gkids just love it.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 29, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9144192

very nice :-)

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 29, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9144203

Thanks thunder, those antlers were only 1/8" showing. I said I'd never do that pattern again, lol. I enlarged from the origonal that was lap size to a full king size waterbed. Ya, a bit of math, lol...

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2012
8:28 AM

Post #9144733

Good day fellow patriots!

It's raining again in my neck of the woods. If you're making that trip to the post office, hope it's a dry day for you.

Carey, when you see your hair standing in all directions and nothing can return it to normal.. then you'll know that tuna you had so happily devoured was contaminated!!!

Kathy, your SIL's quilt is 'handsome'. Perfect for a hunter (Guessing he is one)
Piecing and appliques on the quilt. You must have put in lots of hours.
Maths? What's that? Lol!! As long as a knowledge of logarithm isn't required for quilting!
Come to think of it, I thank God, we have tools that help us out.. not like the old days.. pre acrylic rulers and rotary cutter.

I shy away from anything complicated. The most demanding was a stack and whack project, or one block wonder! Still haven't put them together!!

Housework is calling. Kitties are begging for their food. Have a good day ladies!

Thumbnail by heavenscape

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 30, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9144821

Jaye, Well, I suppose that's better than it all falling out! lol

My box is scheduled to arrive Friday. Hope my buddy likes it!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9145350

heavenscape wrote:Hope everyone's having a good celebration today, even you Betty.

This picture is all wrong!!
Look at the only man standing to show some respect to our servicemen in the parade. And he's in a wheelchair!

I've seen that pic before. Sad isn't it? You know the parents of that age taught their kids to stand, but they did pass it to their children. I know I did, and to place your hand over your heart during the national anthem.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 30, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9145351

ohh I don't do math !! got to have my sailor boy around for that, good thing he sorta knows the basic concept of quilting...as I can call him and tell him what I am trying to do, and he can usually tell me how to do it !!!

once upon a time I did mathematical, statistic reports for a college financial aid office...now I am lucky to remember my birthday !!! I was is a car accident, quite some years ago, and banged my head pretty darn good :( now I just can not do numbers!!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9145441

I received a wonderful box from Jordankittyjo today. Thank you so much. It is going to make my 4th sparkle. I will take pics and post the contents tomorrow. Such a great box!!!!!!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9145547

Nope no appliques on either quilt, only pieced, and yup the math was boggeling, it fit perfectly on top of a king waterbed, I had to add enough sky to tuck under pillows without cutting off any of the scene. Nope he's not a hunter, but an avid colorado hiker and mountain camping and bicycling.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 31, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9145888

Wow, that is a lot of pieced work! Great job!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9146029

Beautiful flowers Kathy!

Now on to my 'beautiful' RWB box from our other Kathy...Jordankittyjo.

She sent me:

4 table top tiki torches
2 rolls of patriotic toilet paper (love it! :-))
A bag of mints wrapped in flags. I love these mints!
3 piece bathroom set with soap dispenser, soap dish and toothbrush holder

Thank you soooooo much Kathy. Told you this was an awesome box. I love it all!!!!!!

Thumbnail by Crit

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 31, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9146121

Wow, that is a nice box of goodies! Love those torches!

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2012
9:37 AM

Post #9146172

you are so welcome. i'm glad you enjoyed it

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2012
10:21 AM

Post #9146220

You got me wondering there Carey if DH do secretly indulge in tuna sushi. He's halfway to a perfect cue ball for a head!!

Aww that could be a possibility Thunder. My brother had a bad fall when he's 8, required stitches on his forehead. He's the only one in the family that's academically challenged, but when it comes to music, he's a savant. His left brains must be intact.
Thank God for your Sailor Boy. When I need a human calculator, I call on DH.

Nice flowers there Kathy. I would love to see your name signing up on a future quilt block exchange! Your work is truly inspirational.

Oooh Patti!! Loving your bathroom set. Your guests would be smiling away to see patriotism displayed in your bathroom. And Sis Kathy thought of matching toilet paper too.
Sis Kathy, you're just too much!!

It's a very hot day today. In the 90s and my plants are in shock. From days of rain, to baking heat!
Wish I have a pool to soak in.

Thumbnail by heavenscape

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2012
11:42 AM

Post #9146315

Jaye, I can send him some of mine! I donate every couple of years so I'm a regular "Hair Farmer". I have lots to spare!!

JordanKittyJo that is one purdy box of pressies you sent Patti! LOVE that toilet paper!!!! Wish I could find that around here!

synda

synda
Carrollton, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2012
1:35 PM

Post #9146488

Oh Patti you received some Beautiful goodies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thumbnail by synda

dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9146652

Another great box. Good job jordankittyjo.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 31, 2012
3:51 PM

Post #9146655

What great treasures..don't things look better in Red/white and blue?

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #9146667

Synda, if you want to share that RW&B dessert, I'll be happy to help! Yummmm

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 31, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9146757

awesome goodies!!! I want to know where you got the bathroom stuffs??!!! really!! I have a RWB stars and stripes shower curtain in one of my bathrooms, would love to have those in there!!!!

and RWB tp that is just fantastic!!!
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9146935

This will be the third time I've tried to send this...have no clue where it's going after I click on send!!@!
I'm wondering if it get's lost because I uploaded 5 pictures... Will try to send pictures on next post????

Hopefully this will go to a new thread...please Jaye.

Warning: If time is short, don't start reading this. It's long but oh so good.
What a glorious, fun, relaxing, surprising and exciting day this has been. I just love gift cards, yes I do. Anyway on with my day.
This morning I met with my DIL to go Chris's Green House that is close to her. We were to spend gift cards that she & DS had given me for my Birthday and another for Mother's Day. Almost as soon as we got there I spotted a Pottery Strawberry Bowl. Told Kim that I really liked that for Hen & Chicks. Well while looking at many plants, another Strawberry Bowl exactly like the one I wanted just jumped out out me and the best part, it was already planted..Yippee, have enough cards to pay for it. Gosh it's a beauty.
Also had Cash from DD for Mother's Day that was burning me bad as I looked at all the pretties inside the store part. Found a thingy to put on the front of the house...way up high over front door. Now lunch was also included in the Mother's Day gift from DS & my DDIL. I really wasn't as hungry as much as I was so pleased with my new goodies and told Kim (DIL) that I would be happy at her house with a sandwich and we could have more time together. Roast Beef sandwiches with chips , pickle & iced tea hit the spot. I have 45 min. drive back home and Kim has to go to work.
Believe it or not, it gets even better.
At home
I start unloading the car and Ray comes to the door with a big grin on his face and tells me that I have 2 large flat rate boxes that the Mail Lady had just put on the step. Gosh I'm excited, left my new goodies in the car and went to those 2 large boxes. Once I put the boxes down, just had to see where they came from and who sent them...WOW Super suprise...no, I'm not telling yet. Keep reading, it get's better.
I put the top box on the counter and look at the second box...It's not for me, It's for Ray! I wish I had a picture of his face as he entered the kitchen to open the box. Then after he opened it, he just stood there with disbelief on his face and lips. He could not believe someone he had never met would even think of him let alone send him a box of goodies. Yes, a box of goodies. As you continue reading this drama, keep in mind that I haven't opened the box addressed to me and have no idea why it was sent to me. Ray's goodie box included: Hosta (oh boy I'm thinking, I know where that will go.) Now Ray pulls out a zip lock bag with a Caladium ( oboy again, love those) Then Ray started pulling out the sweet stuff:
Dove Toasted Almonds (lg. bag) , Hershey's Special Dark Miniatures (lg. bag)
Risen Chewy Chocolate Caramel covered in Rich European Chocolate (lg. bag), Life-Savers Hard Candy Variety Pack (lg bag) and Flag Buttermint Creams.
The FLAG Buttermint Creams got my attention but not as much as the last item that was in the bottom corner of the box...An Eagle Holding the Flag Windchime. OK, I'm guessing out loud as I cut into the tape to open my box...Box open and WOW I guessed right...Red,White & Blue was everywhere and I mean that box was packed to the max. LOL now you should see my face, felt like a christmas tree lit up. My RWB Swap Partner must have been planning, collecting and packing for quite a while. This box is loaded and with everything needed to have guest over to celebrate with us. Here goes, contents of this large box: LOL, hope you're enjoying this as much as I am. If I could spell and type it wouldn't take forever!
My Box contained:
PAGE 2 Continued from She's About to!
The most perfect table setting for July 4th gathering.
Tablecloth,& Mini Cascade Centerpiece with Red,White & Blue Stars
Dinner plates (16), Luncheon Plates (24), Food Baskets (24) Baking Cups that I'll use as individual peanut cups
1 "Real American" Mug, 1 Insulated Glass, 2 drink holders
Eagle with Flag Wind chime that will be hung over table.
Decorations: Red White & Blue Bucket with 1 Red, 1 White & 1 Blue Candle, Boy & Girl Table pieces celebrating July 4th.
Now get this, I will be notified of arriving guest by the Brass, painted Red, White & Blue Door Knocker.
As darkness sets in, the Patio Steps will have light coming from the 2 Solar Lights that were in this awesome box.
Before dinner guest leave, they will be served the delicious and pretty Flag Buttermint Creams.
Company now gone and I can have a easy clean up with the 3 piece pack of Red White & Blue Kitchen Towels..
Gosh, goodness , Gracious, she thought of everything.
What a Swap Partner I had, not possible to be better...AND HER NAME IS:
LINDA KAY
Thank you so much Linda for both boxes. Super,Duper job. If I could write my excitement you would have a hard time reading it...can't spell.
I love everything and especially your thoughtfulness for Ray. Now you know we both want to meet you.

This message was edited May 31, 2012 9:03 PM
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9146946

Will not let me send 5 pictures. Will try for the 4th time and will try to send 2 @ a time.
1 is candy for Ray
2 is Table Setting

Thumbnail by dahtzu   Thumbnail by dahtzu

dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9146950

Now # 3 is Decorations
# 4 is Eagle with Flag Windchime

Thumbnail by dahtzu   Thumbnail by dahtzu

dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9146961

More from Linda Kay...Loving this..
Check out this Door Hanger Bell
and the after dinner mints.
My clean up will be a pleasure with these so pretty towels

hope you have enjoyed my day with me.

Thumbnail by dahtzu   Thumbnail by dahtzu   Thumbnail by dahtzu

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 31, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9146978

Wowsers !!! you sure did have a great day !! :-)
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9146989

Hi Thunder, yes a great day and it would have been better if all you great people could have been with me.

Seedtosser1

Seedtosser1
Glenview, IL

May 31, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9147004

Wow and Wow some more!!!

Love every thing.

Beautiful gnome for Liz!
Crit awesome bath decor and tiki lights...Just love the soap & t-brush holder!!
Faye & Ray!! woohoo!! Outstanding.

Big smiles for Mary, Kath and Linda Kay, way to go.

working on mine...

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 31, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #9147005

Glad to be your swap buddy Faye and Ray. I knew I had to send something to Ray also to cheer him up! Sounds like it worked?
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9147008

Yes Linda it did work. This time the misty eyes were not from pain.
Thank you dear friend.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2012
7:55 PM

Post #9147040

You won't ever forget May 31st 2012, eh Faye?
The day that just keeps on giving!! I bet you were beaming, each time you picked up a surprise and thanking the Lord!! Be careful of that bell. Ray might ring that bell each time he needs you. Better you send that my way. Love everything that LK had carefully chosen for you.
Ray.. it must have felt like Christmas for you!! There are too much sweet goodies to be keeping them all to yourself. We are all chocoholics here.. hint.. hint!!
LK, you did good sistah in surprising beloved Faye here, and thinking of Ray as well.

Thumbnail by heavenscape

Seedtosser1

Seedtosser1
Glenview, IL

May 31, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #9147050

So smiling...misty eyed as well.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 31, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9147064

Wow, some truely great boxes!!!!

synda

synda
Carrollton, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2012
8:50 PM

Post #9147100

What a glorious treasure trove !!!!! Linda Kay well done , Faye and Ray ♥ deserve the best !

Thumbnail by synda

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 1, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #9147332

barefoot, i got the loot at terrys village
Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

June 1, 2012
10:42 AM

Post #9147736

Great box of Americana, Faye. I haven't sent mine out yet, as you all know I do procrastinate a lot. I want to add a few more things to my box for my buddy.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9147856

Neither have I, Pegi.
I know there are some of us that still try to look for something unique for our buddy.

If Priority mailing is too expensive, Synda had suggested Parcel Post.
My town's post office never recommend that to me.. and I always end up mailing priority. I'll resort to PP and purchase delivery confirmation as well.

Carey here's more dessert for you!! Calorie free!

Thumbnail by heavenscape

purpbutfly

purpbutfly
(Cindy) Marysville, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 1, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #9147871

When I take my pkgs to the PO I ask which way is cheaper (if it's in a regular box). Sometimes Priority is cheaper.

I just couldn't help myself, had to go shopping and of course saw some more cute RW&B thingies :-) I better tape the box shut before I go broke. I should of taped it shut and mailed it out on the 29th like I said I was going to. Oh well just hope she enjoys it all.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9147947

Great boxes of some of the most unique stuff!
Great Sistahs in this swap as always, glad to be a part of all of you... ;)

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9147994

thanks Kathy.

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9148392

OMG! Look at all the great RW&B goodies, Faye what a great gift for the two of you, Good job LK and Patti whodathunk flag TP huh?n I thought that would be a great present for my dh because he is always full of ...it...; again good job Kathy.Liz if that Gnome comes up missing don't come looking here cuz I'd hide him from you. Mary good job. Did I miss anyone??

Oh yeah I missed me. Today was one of those days that you just wanted to turn around and go back to bed. Up at 4 this morning and on the road by 5:30 to take dh to the VA hospital up in Columbia about 150 miles away for his test on his kidneys. There about 3 hours and then started home. Had to stop at Walmart to get him his diabetic shakes then onto the license bureau. I hate that place. We bought a new to us van a month ago and the temp license was up and of course all the money had to be saved for the taxes. Went in and the place was packed my number was 80 they were on number 61, After I don't know how long I finally got to the desk. She looked at all the paper work and noticed that the dealership had accidently started to put in someone elses name, scratched it out and put our name and signed their agents name and included an affadavit that it was accidental on the first name and no fraud was intended. They wouldn't accept it. After a 10 minute discussion. We left with no plates, Called the dealership they said to come up there and they could take care of it. Now mind you I've driven most of the day already and now had to drive another 40 miles to the dealership, sure enough they had called the license place there in that county and they said no problem. By this time I'm so tired I'm getting a headache and we still had to drive home yet. We got 1 mile from home and my DGD who was with us asked to drive (she has her permit) I said ok, but I;m getting in the back seat. That was the longest mile I've ever gone. Really she did a good job.

Exhausted now and finally at home and out walking the dogs and relaxing, I thought when the little one start yipping likes she hurt I go running over to her and twisted my ankle, fell down almost on top of her and a turtle which is the reason she was yipping, the dang thing was almost half her size. I said time to go in I need a break before I actually do breal something. Walked in and went to the front door and saw a box on the floor. Woohoo. now I;m not tired anymore, I started tearing into it great job btw on the tape. DGD was laughing at me cause I couldn't get it open fast enough, well let me tell you Thunder sent me wonderful gifts. I will take pics in the morning when I find my camera, I'm to pooped to look tonight. But I'll tell you what she sent. A beautiful quilted mat for snacks and things. a cute pail which will hold straws and utencils for aour 4th party, neat looking napkins, a box of these cute little mini star floating candles a metal heart pick for a planter, a mini cascade centerpiece,stickers, dizzy danglers, foam star stickers, a static cling flag, a new ribbon magnet for the car. ans a beautiful eagle coffe mug. This was truly a great ending to my day, Thank you so much Thunder, I will enjoy every bit of it, I love it.

Just remembered where the camera might be, DD has it, I'll call her and tell her to bring it tomorrow so I can take the pics before we head to KC for the family reunion. Thank you again Thunder, now I'm really worn out from being so long winded. nite all.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9148652

Goodness Robyn, you had one heck of a day! Hope you got a good nights sleep, and your ankle is better today. Can't wait to see your goodies from Thunder!

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 2, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9148859

Alas Cindy, those flat rate priority boxes are just too small to fit what I have!
I wonder how many of us have been getting more packages than usual since we joined DG?
My mailman makes sure that he drives up the dirt road each time instead of leaving the boxes at the shop, unlike UPS or FedEx.
If it's a Saturday delivery, the sub also braves the potholes unless she's in a car!

Robin, did you reward your DGD? And how's the turtle?
Hope you had a nice toddy before bed and may your ankle heals fast.
That's a long drive to the VA hospital. It's the same once upon a time with me. Had to take ex to the nearest one, which was 120 miles away.
Thank God, when he had an appt. with a VA specialist in Houston, he's given an airticket.
Don't you hate wasting time unnecessarily? Things would have been made much easier, if they agree to a phone call to the dealership!
Yes...we are so ready to see pics of the goodies Thunder had got for you.

Check your doorsteps ladies. I'm expecting more happy faces!

Thumbnail by heavenscape

lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 2, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9148922

great packages ladies,

ok mine going out this morning!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9149489

Robin, sooooo happy it arrived and made your crazy day a little better...

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 2, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9149531

WOW Faye and Ray! What a wonderful box!!

It's gotten towards the unbearable part of the year. All I want to do is slip into the pool and relax.

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9151645

Ok here are the pics. Didn't even get a chance to get on yesterday. In the car again driving 60 miles for the grand opening of Menards and Kohl's. Nothing at kohls interested me, but my DGD found a dress and a couple of tops for school. Her reward for getting her permit and the fine driving she did on that last mile.

Ankle is doing ok, just a little sore, I need a nap already this morning.

Here they are. Thank you again Thunder. DH and I are arguing which vehicle gets the magnet and where we want to put the decorations. My house, my visuality for all to see.

Thumbnail by Robynznest   Thumbnail by Robynznest

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2012
11:15 AM

Post #9151759

Wish I could join you in the pool Carey, but it's too long of a drive to Austin!!
Right now, I have about 3 natural pools.. mud puddles from the ceaseless rains we've been having!

You'd be busy 'glamming' up your home with all that RWB decorations, Robin. I like that personal mug rug that Thunder made.
Great job there Thunder!

Ladies, please pray for LK's brother, Jim who's rushed to the hospital. Her niece said he might have a stroke, and he's confused, not aware of anyone.

Thumbnail by heavenscape

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9151806

Thanks for posting here Jaye!

Thunder, I love all the pressies you sent to Robyn! Great job! Wonder what her first drink from that cup will be???

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2012
12:39 PM

Post #9151901

It was coffee with a Kahlua kicker. Yum, I needed it Sat for the family reunion. Geez, kids everywhere to fall over.

This message was edited Jun 4, 2012 1:46 PM

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9152099

:-) I got myself one of those cups too, I use it every day. Last one was at least 10 years old !! figured it was time for a new one.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9152486

Ok, here it is PIKE'S PEAK, just west of Colorado Springs, pix was taken from about 50 miles away on the northeast side tho, think most pix are from the east side... This mountain was the inspiration for our national anthem, and written while in Co. Springs I believe. Enjoy!!!!!!!

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9152694

I never knew that, Kathy. What a beautiful shot! The furthest I've traveled by car is St. Louis, MO, and will never forget flying over the Rockies several times. They seemed to rise out of nowhere with snow-capped peaks, so magnificent, majestic and unforgettable.

How I'd love to have that gussied up Ford truck, Jaybird. Wow! Around here, our blood runs Ford Blue.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2012
9:26 PM

Post #9152752

Thanks Friuty..., the mountain to the left is where NORAD is located, also if it could be seen in the foreground is where the Air Force Academy is located.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9152951

Those pics are bringing back lots of memories. Use to live in Colorado Springs, XDH worked in NORAD, very odd place, entire city in that mountain. I use to sit and look up at NORAD from my front porch and think if we ever got attacked my XDH would be ok, but I would be a gonner! Thought it might make a great book if I was a writer. When we first moved there I thought it thundered every night until I found out the Army base had tanks that were running all over and shooting...rofl. I use to drive an MG midget, we had a St. Benard and we lived on Easy Street...rofl...funny funny memories. Thanks Kathy.

According to Wikipedia, so it must be true: America the Beautiful
In 1893, at the age of thirty-three, Bates, an English professor at Wellesley College, had taken a train trip to Colorado Springs, Colorado, to teach a short summer school session at Colorado College. Several of the sights on her trip inspired her, and they found their way into her poem, including the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago, the "White City" with its promise of the future contained within its alabaster buildings; the wheat fields of America's heartland Kansas, through which her train was riding on July 16; and the majestic view of the Great Plains from high atop Zebulon's Pikes Peak.

On the pinnacle of that mountain, the words of the poem started to come to her, and she wrote them down upon returning to her hotel room at the original Antlers Hotel. The poem was initially published two years later in The Congregationalist, to commemorate the Fourth of July. It quickly caught the public's fancy. Amended versions were published in 1904 and 1913.

Several existing pieces of music were adapted to the poem. A hymn tune composed by Samuel A. Ward was generally considered the best music as early as 1910 and is still the popular tune today. Just as Bates had been inspired to write her poem, Ward too was inspired to compose his tune. The tune came to him while he was on a ferryboat trip from Coney Island back to his home in New York City, after a leisurely summer day in 1882, and he immediately wrote it down. He was so anxious to capture the tune in his head, he asked fellow passenger friend Harry Martin for his shirt cuff to write the tune on. He composed the tune for the old hymn "O Mother Dear, Jerusalem", retitling the work "Materna". Ward's music combined with Bates' poem were first published together in 1910 and titled, America the Beautiful.[2]

Ward died in 1903, not knowing the national stature his music would attain, as the music was only first applied to the song in 1904. Bates was more fortunate, as the song's popularity was well established by her death in 1929.

At various times in the more than 100 years that have elapsed since the song was written, particularly during the John F. Kennedy administration, there have been efforts to give "America the Beautiful" legal status either as a national hymn, or as a national anthem equal to, or in place of, "The Star-Spangled Banner", but so far this has not succeeded. Proponents prefer "America the Beautiful" for various reasons, saying it is easier to sing, more melodic, and more adaptable to new orchestrations while still remaining as easily recognizable as "The Star-Spangled Banner." Some prefer "America the Beautiful" over "The Star-Spangled Banner" due to the latter's war-oriented imagery. Others prefer "The Star-Spangled Banner" for the same reason. While that national dichotomy has stymied any effort at changing the tradition of the national anthem, "America the Beautiful" continues to be held in high esteem by a large number of Americans.
When Richard Nixon visited China in 1972, this song was played as the welcome music.
The song is often included in songbooks in a wide variety of religious congregations in the United States.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9152961

Great history lesson this morning!

Thumbnail by taters55

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9153163

Thanks for sharing Kathy! I'm aware how beautiful Colorado is, and one day, I'd like to take a trip there with DH.

A little bit of info on those that aren't aware of NORAD, which Betty might find interesting too.
Exerpt is from eHow.
"NORAD, the North American Aerospace Defense Command, is a military operation run jointly by the United States and Canada. Originally headquartered in a massive complex built within a hollowed-out mountain near Colorado Springs, NORAD's goal is to monitor all possible approaches to the United States via air and space for potential attacks. Created at the height of Cold War paranoia, NORAD is a technological wonder that has been forced to adapt continually to new threats."

I am of the "Star Spangled Banner" faction, Joyce. I agree, compared to some other countries' national anthem, this tune isn't easy to sing. Even Christina Aguillera botched it!
But, it does really riled up one's pride.
Yet, I find truth in these lyrics from "America the Beautiful" when it comes to describing how valiant our service men are.

"O beautiful for heroes proved
In liberating strife.
Who more than self their country loved
And mercy more than life!
America! America!
May God thy gold refine
Till all success be nobleness
And every gain divine!"

Susan, I'm more of a GM girl!!

Thumbnail by heavenscape

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 5, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9153844

Another favorite

http://flytheamericanflag.org/?p=82

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9153894

I finally got my internet up and running tonight! I am back online and wanted to thank my swap buddy for the wonderful box of RWB stuff she sent. I will detail it all tomorrow as I am exausted right now and will take pictures in the morning to upload.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9153993

I love the fireworks pic! Did any of you watch the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Celebration Finale this morning and saw the nine planes that left trails of Red, White and Blue? Seeing that took my breath away.

Wonderful info and recollections, happ. Kathy, the Cyperus in your pot up there is putting on a fireworks show too. The one you gave me in April is growing like crazy.

OK, I went shopping for my bud today and am just about ready to mail. Waiting now for a thingie I ordered to arrive in the mail.

Night all!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 5, 2012
8:53 PM

Post #9154080

Thanks happ and heaven for filling in the info...wasn't sure as sometime history isn't my fav. subject, lol. The story is they have pretty much moved out of NORAD, but I don't believe a word of it. It's too vital for our protection, and boy that place goes down a longggg ways into the ground. They say that the operation was moved east to Shriever Air Force Base, just east of colo. springs 15 miles, but I think they still have uses for it. Yup, the springs is thick with bases, Peterson A.F., Shriever A.F., Norad, Air Force Academy, and I missing any??? And then just north 50-60 miles in Denver area is Buckley A. F. Base too, along with the Rocky Mountain Arsenal.

Fruity...I'm so glad your umbrella plant is doing good (not official, just my nick name for it). I hope it overwinters for you, I've read it's 'spose to be hardy here but I think I might pull in for the winter. Kinda neat and different that's for sure. I still have to get my planted in my pots, but so much going on, as always... Hey anyone need a breeze, I could send that way if ya like...I need to get some work done, like rototilling but don't have any desire of eating dust, lol!!!

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9154352

No No Kathy please don't send me any more wind, the wind has finally died down to wonderful breeze. Geez for awhile you could barely walk outside it was so windy...your iris are beautiful, it got so hot here like others the spring flowers fizzled...

Ft. Carson Army base is also at the foot of norad...they ran the tanks, I use to cut across the tank area in my mg to go up to norad...rofl...had to watch for tanks cause they sure wouldn't of seen me.

I watched part of the Queens celebration last night, then stopped for awhile and then turned back as the fire works were going off. Quite a celebration...for sure. Funny how our fore Fathers kept alot of the similarities to England. Red, White, & Blue, the music to our National Anthem was a British song, and music to America the Beautiful is idential to what is known as the British National Anthem. I guess it is always hard to leave what was home. I can't imagine getting on a sailing vessel for months, knowing you could never come back...

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 6, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #9154731

Did I ever tell y'all that I used to work for 1AF/CONR while I was stationed in FL? We were second in line if NORAD/Cheyenne Mtn were ever lost.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9154749

Most people don't know that Carey... Course I kind of figured if they got norad, they probably got everything, but I guess you always need a back up plan...rofl. What did you do?

My XH was stationed there, but I had decided I was no longer going with him by then. It was kind of funny cause he always knew I wanted to live in Florida and he kept trying to talk me into moving there and not leaving. I did go down and visit and what beautiful beaches they had, but...hard to build a lifetime on beaches...rofl, what's that saying don't build your house on a foundation of sand...

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #9154765

Kris, you'll be back in civilization! Can't wait to see what you got from Carey.

Didn't follow the queen's diamond jubilee celebrations. The queen had served Britain and the commonwealth very well. What I admire most about her was her service during WW2, when she chose to be an ambulance driver instead of waiting out in the comforts of her palace.

You're right Joyce, American and Britain are so close in culture. Also, in other commonwealth countries, that Britain once reigned supreme, as in India, Malaysia and Singapore.. she had left an indelible stamp on education.

I love this chatter on anything Americana, its' history and especially hardly known facts about its' forces. If I were 18, I'd be lining up to sign up with any branch.

A little cool here today, and yet the mosquitoes didn't take a day off!!

Thumbnail by heavenscape

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9154779

Come on over to a new room, ladies.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1263546/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1263546/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America