Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: Bearded Iris's did not produce flower stalk

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 10, Views: 96
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dcartphoto
Fort Dodge, IA

May 19, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9129376

Last fall I was given 3 very tubers for planting bearded Iris. The leaves were still attached and the plant had been cut down to about half to reduce stress of replanting. I have no idea what the name is or what it looks like only that the bloom is "purple and very large" I planted them as soon as I got them home and this year they came up early in the spring but have produced no flower stem. Is this due to the fact that they bloomed last year before I got them? Our weird weather, 80 degrees one day and a frost the next. Or did I just plant them too deep, should I dig around them and double check the depth? TIA for the help!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 19, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #9129542

I wouldn't worry about them much...sometimes iris need to get settled in. Check the proper depth, the Knees ( or thick part of the rhizhome should be at ground level or a bit higher, no more than half showing. I dug and replanted iris last fall, along with a buy from Craig's list, more tham 600-1000 iris went in and this spring I will only get about 60 to bloom. Sad, but I figure next year will be fabulous. Also make sure they get atleast 6 hours of sun.

It's early here,but here's a few that just began to bloom this week.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Click an image for an enlarged view.

dcartphoto
Fort Dodge, IA

May 19, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9129772

Your flowers are beautiful! I think i put mine in to deap as I didn't leave any of the rhizhome showing. Should I dig them and bring them up a bit now or wait until fall? It's only mid May and in zone 4 so normally I would just do it now but it's alreay in the 80's and hasn't rained in over a week.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9129941

Yes, their "butts" should be showing...Make a little soil hill and place rhizome on top and then just cover the roots...I have one that I even ran out of soil to cover the roots but since it wasn't completely buried it still bloomed

info on planting
http://www.schreinersgardens.com/about_iris.shtml#planting

I'd wait to move them

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 19, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #9130036

It's still early in the season for z4, might even try and removing a bit of the soil now. Another thing you could also try say late June if they haven't bloomed is use a shovel or spading fork to lift them just a bit, brush off some of the soil and put it down in the hole without totally removing them. I know it's cheating but sometimes that ok!!! Lol..

some newbies I just got last week from the Iris u-dig farm.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Click an image for an enlarged view.

dcartphoto
Fort Dodge, IA

May 19, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9130105

Beautiful, I love that last one! Thanks for all the help with my irises! I'll dig a bit ov the dirt off them tomorrow and then give them a month and lift them if I need to. Thanks again!
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #9130705

None of mine bloom every year. This year I had none of them bloom. The bed was too wet most of last winter as we had rain but no cold temps. Had some leaf fans looking healthy but no flowers:lol: I'll be escavating this summer to see what is left. I like to think it's just giving me space for new favorites.

Kathy--you ever divide that blue one (1st photo post, 4th photo) make sure I get one:lol: Love the color of the top of it!
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 23, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9134879

Iris rhizomes should sit on top of the soil with maybe the sides buried. If you put them under soil, they can rot and be damaged by pests. When I divide them, I just push them down gently, to make sure the bottom is in contact with the soil. Usually the reason I get in there & divide is because they've become buried, not because they're too crowded.
dcartphoto
Fort Dodge, IA

May 23, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9134983

I checked them yesterday when I was mulching, they are way to deep. I actually found flower stems on two of them but it looked as if they dried up on the end before they flowered? I was gone back and forth to Mayo clinic for about two weeks but I think I was home enough to see if it bloomed at least once. I'm raising them up this evening after the sun is off them and things start to cool down a bit.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

May 27, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9140821

All these types of Iris need to have there tubers just on top of the soil so the sun (when it comes out) When you pla\nt them make sure you add lots of
manure / compost or other matter that would help retain some moisture at the roots and food for when the plants are using lots of energy making flowers and new tubers as the season progresses.
Every 3 / 4 years you need to lift and clean the tubers by cutting them up as the oldest part in the middle will then be woody and have stopped giving good quality flowers if any flowers it all. Once you have removed this older part, you will be able to see the newer tubers that have grown over the 3/4 years, split these nice new plump parts and make sure they have roots attached, replant these as before and you will have a good selection of nice new tubers to either grow on or give away as gifts etc, the cut off parts will be the same type as the parent so make labels for these, as you re-plant the new tubers you have dug up, cut the foliage by half to prevent the tuber rocking about should they get blown by wind or any other forms of disturbance till their roots get down to get a firm hold of the nice humas soil.
Best time for this job is late summer before the cold weather or early spring when they plants begin to come out of winter sleep. I prefer to do this type of work in late summer as I tidy the borders and gives you a chance to check all your permenant plants and add some bone meal etc, then they are ready for winter rest.
Hope this helps WeeNel.
dcartphoto
Fort Dodge, IA

May 27, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9141174

Thank you much for all the great info! I am getting more and more irises given to me so I better learn what to do with them!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America