Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Landscaping: How do I get rid of this?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 9, Views: 244
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
livnthedance
Lincoln, ME

May 19, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9129397

We have a back yard full of these bamboo looking things, anyone know how to get rid of it? We would like to have a lawn there.
thanks for any help you can give me!

Thumbnail by livnthedance   Thumbnail by livnthedance
Click an image for an enlarged view.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9129946

Looks like Japanese Knotweed...
http://landscaping.about.com/cs/weedsdiseases/a/knotweed.htm
http://www.ehow.com/how_5507654_rid-japanese-knotweed.html
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 10, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9159766

Not sure where you live but here in UK we are supposed to report to the local council officers when we find this plant (knotweed) as it will spread along a whole road even through concrete in 2 years, you cant dig out all the roots as they break when you do and this means you leave little bits in the soil, I think your local officer will advise you what to use, IF it is knotweed. IF it is the dreaded plant, then your neighbours waont be happy IF it gets into their area. Go as quickly as you can to the offices in town and take a picture close up with you, make sure you photgraph the stems, root area and the leaf.
Best of luck. WeeNel.
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 11, 2012
12:56 AM

Post #9160029

Looks to me like if it is Japanese Knotweed, you could cook it and eat it, then possibly live longer to be frustrated by it that much longer! In all seriousness, maybe you could make marmalade from it and actually turn a profit? You know what they say about life giving you lemons...

http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Plants.Folder/Knotweed.html
HL_Nursery777
Dunnellon, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2012
10:04 PM

Post #9188344

Ohhh Noo... Better get some rest, trying to get rid of this is going to work you like a dog, good luck!
Hint: This weed laughs at roundup, and makes roundup look like a wimpy wuss, so use PURE Brush Killer.
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 2, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9189664

Very few things can survive being doused with a few quarts of boiling water.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 2, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9189724

The boiling water will kill the top growth but it won't get the roots, and I suspect this is one that will come back from the roots without too much trouble.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

July 2, 2012
1:10 PM

Post #9190192

Whatever you do, IF you cut this plnt down, have a good roaring fire going because the smallest bit of this plant will grow roots and a huge plant again, I would ask your local gov officer to help you out because IF you have it, be assured it is elsewhere in the neighbourhood, the plant spreads like you see when a camera is speeded up, it sends out underground suchers and wherever these pop up as they grow, a new colony is formed.
Seriously, if I were you, I would ask for profesional halp from the appropriate officer who knows the plant, knows how it grows and most important how to either contain it or get rid.
It's one of those plants that plant hunters Years ago, seen and liked, imported it and propogated it for there huge estate gardens and before we knew it, this plant had migrated to river banks, gardens, edge of woodlands and now it has colinated areas that will not be used for growing anything in for years as every year there are more new shoots found growing, so every part of this plant has to be burned and make sure there are no unburnt bits left, it is almost un-distructable.
Best of luck. WeeNel.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 2, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9190201

My sister from Rhode Island has tons of these in her yard and i rook some and are potted. They are pretty potted but very invasive.

Good luck in removing them!!
Belle
Robynish
Lakewood, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2012
10:45 PM

Post #9193498

Cut it short, throw down hardy grass seeds, or better yet, roll out some grass over the cut stuff. Mow/cut the grass often when ever you see them poke out, and eventually it will push back to the areas you don't mow or weed whack. Those things freak the hell out of me. They grow so fast over night!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America