Anyone growing Bitter Gourds?

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Anyone growing Bitter Gourds? They're pretty tasty with pork dishes. Hope no vegetarians are offended. :)
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/168905/

Thumbnail by Dean_W Thumbnail by Dean_W
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

You need to submit your pics to the plant files.

Quote from stephanietx :
You need to submit your pics to the plant files.

Thanks Stephanie, I just did. I guess it can take awhile before they are approved.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Yep!

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Not offended here... I am a carnivore. lol

Interesting looking gourd Dean, how do you personally prepare them with pork? Kristi

Good!

My wife cooks them. They're hollow inside so she takes out the seeds ,stuffs them with shredded pork and mushrooms. They are pretty tasty and supposed to be good for you too.

Excellent ~ thanks. That sounds yummy.
Do you only eat them fresh or will they store?

We eat them fresh, but they will store for awhile in the fridge.

Good to know, thanks.

Davidsonville, MD(Zone 6b)

We grew them last year....my neighbor grew up on them in Guyana. I personally couldn't handle the bitterness of them no matter how she prepared them but I did use the leaves dried and then brewed as a tonic to clean out my system. The white ones are supposed to be less bitter than the dark green ones. We grew about 3 varieties. It was a fun plant to grow....certainly abundant however it was a once only.

Quote from astcgirl :
We grew them last year....my neighbor grew up on them in Guyana. I personally couldn't handle the bitterness of them no matter how she prepared them but I did use the leaves dried and then brewed as a tonic to clean out my system. The white ones are supposed to be less bitter than the dark green ones. We grew about 3 varieties. It was a fun plant to grow....certainly abundant however it was a once only.

Cool!

Found a really big one today. It is 7" long and 3" wide. I'll save the seeds from this one.

Thumbnail by Dean_W

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images